Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 13:29   #16156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
So, which charging brick to purchase for iPhone 15 devices?
Do we have to prefer the iPhone orginal charger which retails for around INR 699/- OR is there any other alternatives?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...7PCNJ37WZ&th=1
FYI.
This isn't original apple 20w charger. I will highly recommend charging iphones with Apple original charger only.
Original is this one -
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_0573.png  

Last edited by harry10 : 26th December 2023 at 13:31.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 13:50   #16157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
My iPhone 7 (2018) is on a replacement battery. The original battery was replaced in 2021.

I have been using it as a backup phone since last one year. Strangely, the battery health shows 100% till now

It is being used only for sleep tracking / fitness. Battery % drops to ~20% usually by day end, which I feel is normal for an old phone with a replacement battery.
Your replaced battery isn't an 'original' one from Apple. A similar issue was seen on my friend's IP 7. Battery health not dropping below 100% is a clear give away.

We both had replaced the batteries in Dec - 2020 ; mine is now at 82% while his continues to be show 100% while the phone barely last 2 - 3 hours.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:14   #16158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do we have to prefer the iPhone orginal charger which retails for around INR 699/- OR is there any other alternatives?
+1 that this one is not the OE Apple charger. Check the images in the listing.

You can get an OE charger from Apple stores or from the (larger) retailers. Better spend another 1k than risk the battery. (Btw, I was using an original Moto charger yet the issue happened)
Old 26th December 2023, 14:49   #16159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Your replaced battery isn't an 'original' one from Apple. A similar issue was seen on my friend's IP 7. Battery health not dropping below 100% is a clear give away.
Yes I am aware of it. I have no plans of letting go of it, so went for an aftermarket one
Old 26th December 2023, 15:01   #16160
BHPian

Quote:
So, which charging brick to purchase for iPhone 15 devices?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...7PCNJ37WZ&th=1
You can go for the original Apple 20W charger that retails around ₹1600.
However, if you don't want to pay the Apple Tax for their chargers, Portronics & Ambrane make similar chargers for like 1/4th price like this -

https://amzn.eu/d/aHje1ER

Don't worry, at the end of the day, it is just a charger and Apple's fast charging implementation is pretty basic. You will be okay with any 'branded' charger. My mom has been using a Ambrane 20W charger for her two iPhones over the past 4 years and my brother uses a two-port Croma charger for his iPhones from the last 8 years. Both of their iPhones battery have deteriorated normally, in fact a little slower than my sister's who uses the original Apple charger.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 08:56   #16161
Distinguished - BHPian

iPhone 15 Promax- Unboxing & Brief Impressions

I visited last week to Portland, OR with two simple objectives- Enjoy some awesome food truck food and also coincide this visit with some “big ticket” items purchases.

You can check this thread for the trip details :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5686288

Alright, I was waiting for a while to upgrade my iPhone 13 Promax with a iPhone 15 Promax. I usually try to miss the initial buzz and brouhaha over the new iPhone release and don’t rush to be the first one to get it.

While many of us think there is no major upgrade from a 13 Promax to 15 Promax which I tend to agree but, being an electronics addict, I need to get my dose of the “upgrade medicine”.

Brief Impressions after using it for the last 3-days :

1. Damn, this thing is so light compared to the 13 Promax & 14 Promax which feels solid and heavy in the hands.

2. I felt this phone to be slightly smaller (due to shaved bezels) compared to previous models.

3. The 5X zoom is brilliant and now it brings a lot of my subjects closer to me.

4. Action button is a nice touch. I configured it to camera since I click a lot of pictures. Promax which is the flagship clicks some mean pictures and is super fast in camera (zero shutter lag speed) and also the major thing that drew me to it is the 5X optical zoom.

5. Obviously, the A16 Bionic is a beast compared to the A15 Bionic in 14 Promax. Also, a big bump from 6GB ram to 8GB ram which will make a difference in performing daily tasks.

6. Battery size is a minor upgrade to 14 Promax so I’m not expecting a huge jump in battery life which was anyways phenomenal in my previous 2 iPhones ( 13 Promax & 14 Promax) which easily last over 24 hours with some crazy screen times of 10-12 hours.

7. Video quality in an iPhone is its best feature and hands down is the best in the industry. Hope to see some improvements as I explore more.

8. USB-C? Is this a bane or a boon? Need to see as apart from spending $20 bucks on a new fast charger ( 2 Pairs with USC Cables on a Christmas deal), I’m not giving it much of a thought right now.

9. Finally, iPhone gave 256 GB as base storage which is a blessing as now I don’t have to pay additional to their irritating and constant ways of fleecing money for “ Apple One” which has been constantly increasing over the last couple of years and now I pay a ridiculous $30/month.

Overall, it’s not a major upgrade but, feel of an iPhone 15 Promax in the hand is supreme to say the least due to real titanium material they used.

Hoping to enjoy this “ beast” for the next 2-years till the 17 Promax comes out.

Here is the deal :

iPhone 15 Promax : $1,199

Taxes : $0 (Yay, bought it in Portland, If in Seattle, would be 11%)

Cashback to Apple Credit Card : $36 (3%)

Trade-in for iPhone 13 Promax which is 2-years old & 85% battery health : $580 (Have an option to sell outside for $650)

Effective Price : $583 (Ain’t this a sweet deal?? )

P.S : I have 2 weeks to get a better deal outside or else, I can trade-in the iPhone 13 Promax for $580 in any Apple Store in Seattle.

We picked up 2 iPhone 15 Promax's. My friend wanted to add another phone to his existing iPhone 15 Pro (White Titanium).

The iPhone Thread-img_0895.jpg

My "White Titanium" iPhone 15 Promax.

The iPhone Thread-img_9048.jpg

Side-by-Side with iPhone 13 Promax that it replaces. I wanted to get the natural titanium but, in real it wasn't too different from this golden color and paled in front of the white titanium which IMO, is gorgeous.

The iPhone Thread-img_4598.jpg

iPhone 13 Promax vs. iPhone 14 Promax vs. iPhone 15 Promax.

The iPhone Thread-img_9047.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_9046.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_9044.jpg

Apple introduced a new animation when setting up the new phone. It was fun and ridiculously seamless and within 3-4 mins, my 15 Promax was all ready to go as below. Voila !!!

The iPhone Thread-img_0019.jpg

Here is a short "unboxing video" displaying all 3- Flagships.

P.S : All pics & video shot with my wifey's iPhone 14 Promax.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th December 2023 at 09:02.
mobike008 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 22:30   #16162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I need to get my dose of the “upgrade medicine”.
I think if you were given the option for free upgrade every year, you wouldn’t have traded in any of your iPhones.

Might as well done something like this.
The iPhone Thread-img_6065.jpeg
Source
ex-innova-guy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 23:52   #16163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Might as well done something like this.
Thanks to Jobs and Cook they don't have a free upgrade program. Else, I would have been exactly in this situation.

P.S : Actually, there is an upgrade program that is given by carriers. My friend bought the iPhone 15 Promax for almost "FREE"

He had an old iPhone 7 (Cost of its trade in was $10 ), he got himself a new line from Verizon and they gave him $830 for the iPhone 7.

Catch : New line is $50/Month for 36-months lock in period. I think it ain't such a bad deal for folks adding a new line.

What say?
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 09:16   #16164
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone 15 Promax- Unboxing & Brief Impressions

5. Obviously, the A16 Bionic is a beast compared to the A15 Bionic in 14 Promax. Also, a big bump from 6GB ram to 8GB ram which will make a difference in performing daily tasks.
The 15Promax is A17pro. The 15 and 15plus have the A16
mally2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 10:02   #16165
BHPian

Quote:
What say?
I wouldn't ever mind that. I still have my 7+ and hardly would get anything for it. If I were to get such a deal, it is a no brainer.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:22   #16166
BHPian

I got gifted a 15PMx by my sister who was visiting back home from NYC, it's an upgrade from my 12PMx which I loved dearly but its battery was aging.
While I always intended to simply replace the battery, mine had a crack on the back glass thanks to the wobbly table at Starbucks (first iPhone to have ever damaged in nearly a decade). In the usual Apple fashion, that complicated the battery replacement with a mandatory back glass replacement which amounts to a bomb.

Had asked my sis to get this punkjuice battery case for 12PMx as a workaround, however she got both the case and a new 15PMx which was crazy as it had newly launched.

Coming back to the iPhone, I agree with the OP on most of the pros. However I have to say from personal experience that the iPhone craze and innovation as plateaued. I simply found myself with very little noticeable improvements over the 12PMx where in I can cite it being a game changer. Heck my wife upgraded from a 12PMx to a 14PMx last year, and had the same feeling. At this point as both of us accidentally pick each others iPhone from the table due to the sheer similarity when in a case.

I think it's very safe to say that similar to the MacBooks, the iPhone only needs to be changed in 4-5 years specially if you have PMx line. Tim Apple must definitely have noticed this and hence Apple trying to foray into different upcoming categories of AR glasses, TV and potentially in future as apple car.
Lord-Lannister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 12:59   #16167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All ! Got the iPhone 15 and took time to setup and transfer my data from S23 U to 15. All smooth so far . Haven’t tested the camera yet. But I feel comfortable using this device and it’s such a relief for my hands! S23 U felt like a brick sometimes. I do need an help - after setting up my iPhone , I see that the system data has taken close to 48GB!! I tried many things to reduce it, didn’t work. Any suggestions to fix it ? Thank you all for your inputs earlier !!

Attachment 2546138
Finally a factory reset and restore via itunes helped with the fix.
The iPhone Thread-img_8440.png
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:59   #16168
Distinguished - BHPian

I know there is a separate thread but cannot help asking here!

Am looking for a robust MagSafe-compatible car phone mount for my heavy 14 Pro Max. Can be vent or dash-mounted, but the magnet system must be strong enough for it not fall off. Would also like to mount it on the central part of the dash, i.e. near about the centre AC vents to prevent any easy snatching from either window.

I don't have navigation on my 330i Sport, and it is dangerous to look down at the central console to refer to the moving map.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th December 2023 at 14:00.
Old 28th December 2023, 16:00   #16169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
You can go for the original Apple 20W charger that retails around ₹1600.
However, if you don't want to pay the Apple Tax for their chargers, Portronics & Ambrane make similar chargers for like 1/4th price like this -

https://amzn.eu/d/aHje1ER
Apple might be expensive but just like all of their other products their chargers are also very high quality and carefully made. In the end you get what you pay for.

https://www.chargerlab.com/apple-18w...nside-and-out/
Old 28th December 2023, 16:28   #16170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Lannister View Post
However I have to say from personal experience that the iPhone craze and innovation as plateaued. I simply found myself with very little noticeable improvements over the 12PMx where in I can cite it being a game changer. Heck my wife upgraded from a 12PMx to a 14PMx last year, and had the same feeling. At this point as both of us accidentally pick each others iPhone from the table due to the sheer similarity when in a case.

the iPhone only needs to be changed in 4-5 years specially if you have PMx line.
I can completely relate to this! Forget from the design POV, which possibly requires significant R&D and stuff, Apple isn't even progressing (as it used to) interms of their OS upgrades! I mean, there were significant strides (ofcourse coupled with some bugs) since I started using my 1st iPhone on iOS 10. The latest updates viz. 15, 16 and now the 17 are just the same with bare minimal 'useful' add-ons. And going by the initial rumors, the 18 too doesn't seem any different as I read somewhere that they aren't focusing much on next iOS update.

I am to holding onto my 3 years old 12 Pro and apart from the degraded battery (at 79% health), there is absolutely no major issue with the phone. Apart from the great cameras, better battery, slightly zippy performance and the dynamic island I'm not sure if getting the 15 Pro would really make a world of difference for me. Probably 15 Pro Max would, but again I don't feel the same amount of zeel as I had when I switched from iPhone 7 to 12 Pro. It was a day & night difference back then.

Also, this isn't limited to only Apple / iPhones; I see it is the same with other major players too viz. Samsung, Google, etc. The upcoming Samsung flagships are aiming big with the AI stuff. Not sure how much it'll benefit for everyday use.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 28th December 2023 at 16:34.
ashvek3141 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks