Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2023, 13:20   #16096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The iPhone 15 Pro Max is a serious Upgrade, a massively Incremental Step-Change from the iPhone 12 Pro Max, in all the aspects that I consider important, such as lightness, battery life, chassis strength and its camera is absolutely WOW! I believe that this upgrade is easily sufficient and will remain relevant for the next 3-4 years.
Congratulations on the 15 Promax. Nice review as well.

I'm sure from 12 Promax to 15 Promax, you would feel a world of difference.

Since I bought a few 15 Promax and 15 Pro and handled them and find them lighter than my current iPhones ( 13 Promax & 14 Promax).

I'm due to upgrade my 13 Promax to a 15 Promax in December when I go back home.

I'm setting up a entertainment room at home and planning on clubbed purchase--(Xbox X Console, 15 Promax, Projector etc) at one-shot and buy it from Portland, Oregon (Tax-Free State).

My only interest in savings is free gas and all meals from this trip to Portland.

My only concern is- Will I see any difference from 13 Promax to 15 Promax?

P.S : I already note that 14 Promax camera is noticeably better than 13 Promax.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:06   #16097
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Even though the iCloud provide space of nearly 2TB and that one can push practically everything there (majorly pictures); wouldn't it be a little time consuming and data hungry to retrieve or view the pictures when one wishes to? I mean if the pictures are just stored in my iPhone's native gallery, I can just view them with a swipe without worrying about data consumption. Even worse in areas of poor network and I'm not even talking about Wi-Fi, the time required to simply view these pictures would be a lot cumbersome task.

My 12 Pro, 128 GB is running out of space, and I have to practically transfer the old pics to my MacBook (which I don't want to), as I like all the pictures on my iPhone. So, I wanted to check if getting the additional storage space on the cloud would be worth it!

Well, with my experience of using 2 iPhones, I think the camera capability is primarily restricted to the iOS the phone comes with. The moment you get one or worse case 2nd MAJOR iOS update, the camera quality for sure sees a decline.

For sure the claims of Apple dropping the overall quality (in terms of software / usability) of the older iPhones with release of every new flagship seems true; which rather compels one to get the latest one!

Thoughts?

I find that having plenty of iCloud space helps a lot. I daily-use multiple apple devices and presently have the iCloud + 2 TB plan and I am using more than half of that. (Around 65,000 photos…)Yes it is true that anything not in regular use goes and sits in the cloud. Photos which haven't been viewed recently or those taken a while ago also go and live in the cloud.

Yes it can be a bit of a wait for any photo to download, just in case wifi or network is poor. But I can live with this because overall I am a big fan of Cloud Hosted services. Completely obviates the need for huge native storage space. Cloud, therefore, is definitely the storage solution of the present and foreseeable future and native storage is definitely a thing of the past.

In reference to camera and photo quality being linked to the iOS software version, I cannot really comment, not being qualified to do so from a technical perspective. It is true though, about the software versions becoming constantly more space-heavy and tending to slow down the phone in a near-imperceptible manner.

I did also notice early on, that some of the monochrome black and white photos I used to take with my old iPhone 4S, 6,7 and Xs Max etc, were truly superb in terms of sharpness and clarity.

I am not sure if the black and white images taken on the newer iPhones like 11 Pro Max, 12 Pro Max and 13,14,15 and all can actually be compared in full to those earlier ones.

I do know the cameras in these new phones are definitely way more advanced and considering the zoom quality and image stabilization and other strong processing capabilities, it is true that they do offer an extremely clear, non-pixelated photo with gorgeous colours and shades and clarity, when reviewing them later on the iPhone or iPad.

However, as has been oft-repeated in the other thread on smartphone photography, it is an inescapable fact that the high resolution DSLRs and Points and Shoots and other proper Hand-held / Mirrorless Cameras are way superior if you want to take a larger sized print of any of your photos.

Saying that, in this life as we know it at present, it is always going to be a trade-off between an exceedingly superior photo capability and simple portability. And these iPhones offer a superb, elegant, high quality, practical compromise which most normal lay-people prefer. I am definitely one of those.

Especially when travelling on work or on holiday these days, the whole security-check and other processes, drive me towards travelling as lightly as possible and carrying the absolute bare-minimum of essential equipment with me. I just do not like all those encumbrances any more.

The iPhone Pro Max plus a high quality tripod stand, is extremely handy in this situation, to capture those fleeting moments of beauty and life. Controlled by the Apple Watch camera app, one is also able to get those photos of one’s self too, against some particularly compelling back drop, just as one wishes!

Hence, for me, the iPhone Pro Max’s camera capability is the sole lynch-pin upon which I make my upgrade decision, once every 2 to 3 years.

And truth be told, in this respect, the iPhone 15 Pro Max simply takes the cake and the bakery as well!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th November 2023 at 14:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 14:10   #16098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Will I see any difference from 13 Promax to 15 Promax?
Yes, definitely with the 13 Pro Max. Not so much when you compare the 15 and 14 Pro Max, except for the zoom camera. I had a comparison posted here. My wife prefer the 14 Pro Max's zoom camera compared to the 15; the latter is way too up-close and real it seems .
Weight reduction and USB-C are the other big advantages of the 15 Pro Max.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 00:34   #16099
BHPian

Apple has released iOS 17.1.2
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 21:29   #16100
BHPian

Quote:

I went to the phone service provider store and have re-converted my existing e SIM to a regular physical SIM. And now I have to migrate my existing iPhone 12 Pro Max to this new 15 Pro Max. And then re-convert the physical SIM once again to an e SIM so as re-do my Apple Watch Phone function connection and all.
Congratulations on your purchase! Curious to know, why did you have to re-covert from e-sim to a physical sim for migration?

I just got the 15 pro, upgraded from my 11 pro and saw no reason to convert to a physical sim, migration was smooth and my ultra watch synced just fine post migration as well. What am I missing here?
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 04:12   #16101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! Curious to know, why did you have to re-covert from e-sim to a physical sim for migration?

I just got the 15 pro, upgraded from my 11 pro and saw no reason to convert to a physical sim, migration was smooth and my ultra watch synced just fine post migration as well. What am I missing here?
Oh this is a nightmare. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Or else I must be plain stupid.

Im on Jio. I set up the new phone from the latest backup of my old phone.

I had forgotten to Un-Pair the Apple Watch and hence the side by side set up didnt work. And then Iwent and met the Apple Store chaps whom I know and made them help me. The migration took nearly 3 hours on the blue tooth and side by side method.

And when upgrading the phone I was told it had to be through a physical SIM only so I did that. Went through e KYC and finger print and photo and all.

And suffered with no SMS and OTPs for 24 hours. I had forgotten to Un-Pair my Apple Watch, so my Ultra didnt sync and I had to re-do the whole thing all over again. Same repeat of e KYC and finger print and photo and all.

And after a few days I moved to e SIM. And did the whole e KYC and photo and all, all over again. And suffered again for 24 hours with no SMS.

And to top it off I had forgotten to re-register this new mobile device for GPay and Banking and all while the physical SIM was in it.

And now because Im on an e SIM I cannot register the device because for such registrations, a Physical SIM is a mandatory requirement.

The above Saga occupied much of last week.

This week, starting today I am going to have to embark on a fresh Repeat of the Same Saga because I need a physical SIM so as to register the device with GPay and the Bank, and I am NOT at all looking forward to the repeat of this whole process.

I don’t know why, when I have had the same mobile number for more than 2 decades, I have to go through this irritation of e KYC and re registration and all the rest of it every time I move to a new mobile device.

Thankfully I only perform such a phone upgrade once in 3 years or so, when there is a quantum leap in phone functionality.

Basically, it is not as seamless as they make it out to be.

But then, the iPhone 15 Pro Max Camera is truly delicious. That alone makes up for all the pain of migration.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd December 2023 at 04:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 07:36   #16102
BHPian

Quote:

And when upgrading the phone I was told it had to be through a physical SIM only so I did that. Went through e KYC and finger print and photo and all.
This is just wrong info what they provided. You can do it all yourself. I did the same with Airtel recently and everything was seamless. Wife had to do the same for Jio. In both cases, the migration didn't warrant any KYC or physical sim requirements.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 09:56   #16103
BHPian

Quote:
And now because Im on an e SIM I cannot register the device because for such registrations, a Physical SIM is a mandatory requirement.

The above Saga occupied much of last week.

This week, starting today I am going to have to embark on a fresh Repeat of the Same Saga because I need a physical SIM so as to register the device with GPay and the Bank, and I am NOT at all looking forward to the repeat of this whole process.
Again, not sure who's feeding you the info but a physical sim is not needed for any banking app. All my apps are working fine, of course you just have to register the new device, which is again an automated and simple process followed by logging in manually for the first time before you enable face id login (if you choose).

I have migrated everything only via e-sim and I'm on airtel
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 11:26   #16104
BHPian

The majority opinion here is, Apple provides international warranty for iPhones. But it's entirely up to Apple to decide and in my experience based on very old chat with Apple support long back.. 6-7 years back, Apple can deny warranty if the same model is not being sold here. In general, Apple provides warranty ONLY if the same model is being sold in another country where you are trying to claim warranty. Otherwise, it handles only replaceable components like screen or battery. Of course there could be an outlier here and there.

For example, 15 series sold in the US now have only eSIM support and no physical slots I suppose. In that case, if there is a situation of replacement of the entire device, How will Apple replace it with another device here?
Old 3rd December 2023, 12:40   #16105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
This is just wrong info what they provided. You can do it all yourself. I did the same with Airtel recently and everything was seamless. Wife had to do the same for Jio. In both cases, the migration didn't warrant any KYC or physical sim requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Again, not sure who's feeding you the info but a physical sim is not needed for any banking app. All my apps are working fine, of course you just have to register the new device, which is again an automated and simple process followed by logging in manually for the first time before you enable face id login (if you choose).

I have migrated everything only via e-sim and I'm on airtel
Thank you both.
I went to the nearby Jio and sat on their heads. A nice bloke called Sanjay came and helped me and like magic everything got sorted within 10 minutes.
Thanks again for the enlightenment you provided me with.

(Today for the first time, I also saw those new Samsung and One Plus folding phones (with brilliant Samsung and Hasselblad Cameras) and they are pretty stunning and as expensive as the iPhones are.)
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 10:25   #16106
BHPian

iOS 17.2 Available Now

kap04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 19:29   #16107
BHPian

Hi All ! Looking for some real usage reviews of iPhone 15/14. I am using a S23 Ultra. Though the phone is really good, it's really heavy and big causing pains in the hand. Hence looking to switch to iPhone as I see that the weight is considerably lighter . I am looking for reviews on camera and battery, as I will be using dual SIMs and taking lot of photos of my kids. I am not able to consider the pro as it's out of budget.
Old 14th December 2023, 20:58   #16108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All ! Looking for some real usage reviews of iPhone 15/14. I am using a S23 Ultra. Though the phone is really good, it's really heavy and big causing pains in the hand. Hence looking to switch to iPhone as I see that the weight is considerably lighter . I am looking for reviews on camera and battery, as I will be using dual SIMs and taking lot of photos of my kids. I am not able to consider the pro as it's out of budget.
Switching from S23 Ultra to a regular Iphone 15 or 14 (Not Pro Models) would be a downgrade.

S23 Camera would be superior compared to above listed iPhones. I personally don't like Samsung pictures as they are unnaturally vivid and colorful while iPhone captures more natural colors.

I would recommend to at least get the Pro models if not the Promax which would be the ultimate in camera and battery performance.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 08:17   #16109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The regular 15 is a great phone, and considerably lighter than the S23 Ultra (even the 15 Pro Max feels lighter and easy to hold, compared to the S23 Ultra). My daughter use the 15 Plus and the camera setup is really good. And the battery lasts longer than the 15 Pro Max. What you lose out is the zoom lens capabilities of the S23 Ultra or the Pro/Pro Max models.

And if weight is the only issue, you can even look at regular S23. Its super light, the size is optimum for one-handed usage, and the battery backup is brilliant. And the camera setup is not inferior to the Ultra.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 09:01   #16110
BHPian

Quote:
taking lot of photos of my kids.
In my opinion, this one reason is enough to continue with samsung flagships. I doubt any phone(including google pro series) can come close to samsung picture quality, unless you are looking to capture more videos.

Based on my experience, if it's still image, nothing can beat samsung and if its videos then its iphone pro series.
smnrock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks