Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 13:51   #15961
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hi everyone, a new iPhone user here. I bought a 14 plus 2 months ago. The battery health indicator was initially showing 100% and it has fallen to 99% about 2 weeks back. I casually searched the web and general opinion is that this is nothing to worry about. A colleague of mine had actually tried to dissuade me from buying the iPhone citing these issues and I’m still a bit apprehensive about it. Is this normal? Is there anything that I can specifically do in order to prevent premature battery failure?

P.S: Currently running iOS 17.0.3. Usually I charge at around 20% all the way till 100%. But unable to stick to this schedule while travelling. Only once (today), I had taken it to less than 5%.
I would say don't worry about it, keep enjoying the iOS experience. My iPhone 12 from 21 Oct maintained 100% health after 10 months but once it dropped to 99% it keep dropping much faster. Another iPhone in the family bought at the same time dropped 1% in the first month itself, but we are both at 87% now. This whole battery health gimmick, I am not a big fan of Kills the overall experience of owning a device in my opinion. Makes us caring it like a baby!
bhp_maniac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 17:50   #15962
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Move to IOS normally transfers all the contents. Contact Apple Support on Support app.
It didn't and apparently we can't. Call history has gone for ever.

Quote:
iPhone in India supports one physical sim and 2nd one an esim with 2 different numbers. Download WhatsApp and WhatApp Business account and register with the respective sim numbers.
As a previous Android user, I have been using both my sim on two separate Whatsapp accounts since ages. Move to iOS only copied one Whatsapp data back up. And what it takes the cake is, whenever I am trying to activate both the Sim on Whatsapp (one normal and one business), they both are trying to copy from the same copied backup and cancelling each other out.
I guess, my 2nd Whatsapp data also gone for ever.

Quote:
Even I did not find credit/debit card option. So I presume only Net Banking and UPI can be configured.
Not all UPI also, it seems my UPI which is linked to my Citi bank account can not be used. And they have a limited list of bank which can be used as UPI / Net banking. At this moment, I am managing with Apple wallet. Seriously, Apple software people must be having something nice (integrating with UPI but then restricting a lot banks).

Altogether, first impression on super over hyped "Move to iOS" experience is a big "Meh" for me. I am hoping the actual product experience would be nice though. Also, for the price that I got the phone, am not complaining.

By the way, is it safe to upgrade to ios 17 for iPhone 14 yet? Or should I wait more.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 10th October 2023 at 17:54.
Old 10th October 2023, 18:22   #15963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
As a previous Android user, I have been using both my sim on two separate Whatsapp accounts since ages.
====
By the way, is it safe to upgrade to ios 17 for iPhone 14 yet? Or should I wait more.
I have 2 WhatsApp on iOS and backups for both work without an issue after phone restore, not sure about transfer from Android to iOS though.

I have been using iOS 17 since the day it has come out, no issues on iPhone 14 Pro.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 18:54   #15964
BHPian

Quote:
It didn't and apparently we can't. Call history has gone for ever.
You will be in a more shock, once you realize that iPhone stores most recent 100 call history only. And there is no grouping of history for same number similar to Android.
rx100 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 21:18   #15965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
You can find it by doing the following:-

Go to Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Analytics & Improvements -> Analytics Data -> Analytics File of a particular date would be present (Ex. Analytics-2023-10-05-012402.ips.ca)
I found another way to find out the charge cycles. Download iMazing for PC and install it. Just connect your iPhone or iPad to the PC and click at the battery icon at bottom right corner. I found my charge cycle as 58 and cross-checked it from the method ex-innova-guy mentioned.
The other screenshot is from the iPad Air 2 which I bought in 2016. Though only 270 charge cycles are completed, still considering a battery age of more than 7 years, battery health is at 88%. Once it was completely dead for more than six months. Thats impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_0542.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-img_0555.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-img_0556.jpeg  

itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 21:29   #15966
Distinguished - BHPian

Am yet to fully explore the camera of the Iphone 14.

Yesterday night I was checking it's low light capability, and I must say it is indeed impressive.

The unedited version-

The iPhone Thread-img_7382.jpg

The edited version-

The iPhone Thread-img_7382edit.jpg
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 21:29   #15967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
My iPhone 12 from 21 Oct maintained 100% health after 10 months but once it dropped to 99% it keep dropping much faster. Another iPhone in the family bought at the same time dropped 1% in the first month itself, but we are both at 87% now.
Apparently that is due to calibration issue by OS. Apple says battery retains 80% of its capacity after 500 complete charge cycles, 1% degradation for 25 charge cycles. If OS is calibrating right , battery degrades gradually but if not, battery seems to hold up for quite a long time and after an OS update it seems to drop instantly due to calibration during software update. Found it on YouTube.
itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 12:09   #15968
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have 2 WhatsApp on iOS and backups for both work without an issue after phone restore, not sure about transfer from Android to iOS though.

I have been using iOS 17 since the day it has come out, no issues on iPhone 14 Pro.
Lately was doing some digging on this and here is what I gather. This is just my research form "Google Search" university and most probably all wrong (disclaimer).
When Android uses "Dual" apps, it basically creates clone of the original app and the device space is also cloned. Basically two instance of same application runs simultaneously and both are connected to separate cloned space.
What I understood, contrary to Android, Whatsapp and Whatsapp Business are 2 separate applications in iOS. I believe, "Move to iOS" still can have access only to primary space in Android and not the cloned space (Android can have multiple apps in dual mode).

Possible work around:
In case second Whatsapp in Android has been setup as Whatsapp Business, it could be technically possible to be pulled into the iOS. Though I am not sure about it, it has to be tried and tested.

Thank you for your update about iOS17, I'll try upgrading over this weekend. Also, is there any impact noticed with iPadOs 17 that you have any idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
You will be in a more shock, once you realize that iPhone stores most recent 100 call history only. And there is no grouping of history for same number similar to Android.
I don't require that long. Sometimes, I need to communicate to some numbers for a limited duration of time and instead of saving those number to contact, I just use the call log history. Not the ideal way, but long habit die hard.

By the way, can someone help me any other way to setup Apple payment profile, apple somehow has a special hate towards Citi bank in India. I can neither able to add UPI linked to Citi bank / netbank both giving error that Bank not supported .
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 14:42   #15969

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Replaced battery will serve you well. I was using iPhone 6 till recently with just battery replacement. Some important apps like Google pay stopped support for ios12 (iPhone 6), that’s the only reason I decided to upgrade.

Even if you choose to upgrade later, your iPhone 8 with new battery will be a very good phone to give to someone in family.
Thanks a lot Androdev for your suggestion! I will be dropping off my phone for battery replacement later this week.
Old 12th October 2023, 14:17   #15970
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the better half has an iPhone 14 on which we have taken Truecaller Premium. Now, I guess TrueCaller Premium subscription gives you live caller ID (like on my Android).

However, we cannot get it to work and I am lost at sea in iOS settings.

Can you please provide a step-by-step guide to getting Live Caller ID? Thank you.
Old 12th October 2023, 15:05   #15971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, we cannot get it to work and I am lost at sea in iOS settings.

Can you please provide a step-by-step guide to getting Live Caller ID? Thank you.
Unfortunately, the Truecaller settings are not as seamless as Android in iPhone. You need to use Siri everytime someone calls you to use the Live Caller ID feature.

You can refer to this video-

Last edited by ex-innova-guy : 12th October 2023 at 15:09.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 19:31   #15972
BHPian

Some revelations by ‘former Apple employee’ warning the older iPhone users of potential performance issues after updating to iOS 17. I kinda feel that this can be true given that the iOS updates haven’t been great off late.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/techno...924-2023-10-10

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 12th October 2023 at 19:34.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 19:36   #15973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a previous Android user, I have been using both my sim on two separate Whatsapp accounts since ages.
What Android phone were you using? Or what sort of 2 Whatsaapp implementation were you using?

Move to iOS only transfers the primary personal Whatsapp chats.
Old 12th October 2023, 23:03   #15974
BHPian

iPhone 15 now gives you the ‘cycle count’ of your battery. One doesn’t have to do the exercise of getting it from the ‘analytics data’.

Settings —> General —> About , scroll down to bottom.

It’s not available for the older iPhones though.

Courtesy: appledeisgn (Instagram)
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_1540.jpeg  

Old 12th October 2023, 23:07   #15975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Some revelations by ‘former Apple employee’ warning the older iPhone users of potential performance issues after updating to iOS 17. I kinda feel that this can be true given that the iOS updates haven’t been great off late.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/techno...924-2023-10-10
It’s become quite an open secret by now that companies wilfully reduce the performance of older phones with software updates. It’s the easiest trick in the book to push customers to buy new phones.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks