Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2023, 19:20   #15886
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
IOS updates are now becoming cumbersome and introducing more bugs than ever. I am on 12 mini and as others have mentioned, find the new os buggy with slow response from apps and heating of phone.
The new Contacts card thing is ugly, and even after a year, I have not got a hang of the lock screen customization.

BUT, bugs? I haven't come across any in my daily usage. Everything just works as before. Maybe am not looking at the right place.

Can somebody list the bugs they have encountered in iOS7?
Old 5th October 2023, 19:22   #15887
BHPian

With Pixel 8 offering 7 year OS support, Apple bastion of long software support has been finally broken!

What this means is a Pixel 8 bought today, will still get all OS and Security updates even in 2030!
Add to it, Pixel's outlandish photo edits and camera capabilities, Pixel is a serious consideration for Android lovers.
Old 5th October 2023, 19:31   #15888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
With Pixel 8 offering 7 year OS support, Apple bastion of long software support has been finally broken!

What this means is a Pixel 8 bought today, will still get all OS and Security updates even in 2030!
Add to it, Pixel's outlandish photo edits and camera capabilities, Pixel is a serious consideration for Android lovers.
They are throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. If they are so committed, let them announce 7 year updates starting with the Pixel 6.

Pixel 8 looks exactly like the 6 and nobody has a complaint. The same design third year in a row. When Apple does it, Android fans lose their minds.

And what is their innovation this year? Yeh, a temperature sensor in a phone. Another "feature" that does nothing useful. Yeh, you can check the temperature of your coffee before you drink it.

Maybe next year they will get a volt meter.
dragonfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 20:45   #15889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Can somebody list the bugs they have encountered in iOS7?
The only bug I have noticed is on the messages app. Messages are not refreshing and any new message takes a while to show up. However, there is a blue dot next to the contact saying that there is a new message. Also it has become laggy meaning sometimes I have to wait for few seconds for the words typed to show up on the screen
Old 5th October 2023, 20:48   #15890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Pixel 8 looks exactly like the 6 and nobody has a complaint. The same design third year in a row. When Apple does it, Android fans lose their minds.

And then there is Samsung, who have adopted one design throughout their entire lineup.
Old 5th October 2023, 23:09   #15891
BHPian

Quote:
They are throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. If they are so committed, let them announce 7 year updates starting with the Pixel 6.
Looks like you recently purchased Apple's exorbitantly priced iPhone 15 pro Max Well the design of Pixel is pretty much the same, upgraded the hardware and chipsets. But now with 7 years of commitment and probably the best camera in a phone (don't forget the editing capabilities) Google is all gung-ho to beat the status quo of Iphones (may be it will take a decade)
Old 5th October 2023, 23:44   #15892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Looks like you recently purchased Apple's exorbitantly priced iPhone 15 pro Max
Not yet. Am waiting for a good deal to upgrade my 13 to a 15 pro.
Quote:
and probably the best camera in a phone
I doubt that claim. The iPhone still gives a higher yield of good photos than any Android phone. No Android can beat that consistency. Another big advantage of iPhone is it's zero shutter lag.
Quote:
Google is all gung-ho to beat the status quo of Iphones (may be it will take a decade)
It will be a steep climb, and I don't think they will be successful.
Old 6th October 2023, 07:23   #15893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Pixel 8 series looks like a substantial update from the 7. And true to its tradition, the camera capabilities must be top-notch. I am not a big fan of the overdone editing options though. I fall into the camp of users who like photos that look close to reality and absolutely hate overdone/filter-enabled photos. Still fondly remember the Pixel 2 XL for its inability to produce a bad photo, and the latest series of iPhone are also pretty much in that category; especially I rank the base 15/15 plus as the best iPhone in recent years – not just a copy of Tim Cook’s line, I mean it

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Well the design of Pixel is pretty much the same, upgraded the hardware and chipsets. But now with 7 years of commitment and probably the best camera in a phone (don't forget the editing capabilities) Google is all gung-ho to beat the status quo of Iphones (may be it will take a decade)
Let us not make this an iOS vs Android fan-fight please. Competition is good us, regular customers.

And regarding this argument on what’s new in an iPhone (or a Pixel), check out the analogy mentioned in the video below – I feel this applicable for both iPhones and Pixels

vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 11:35   #15894
BHPian

Quote:
They are throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. If they are so committed, let them announce 7 year updates starting with the Pixel 6...
Android vs iOS debate aside, the key point is Google OS support for 7 years. There is no reason why Apple can't do the same.
Apple's A17 is close to M1 in processing speed and even older chips like A14, A15 are mind boggling in their processing power. Apple chose 6 years of support because no one, and I mean, no one was even offering 4 years of support.

That said, I support you partially for Google is notorious in ditching things mid way through the life cycle. Check this out: https://killedbygoogle.com/

Who know, 5 years down the line Google might ditch pixel series altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
...the camera capabilities must be top-notch. I am not a big fan of the overdone editing options though...
Editing? Pixel 8's camera output is not even a photo. It is pure photoshop (for lack of better word).
Old 6th October 2023, 12:09   #15895
Senior - BHPian

I managed to damage the screen of my 14 Pro Max. There was water on the floor which I didn't see and I slipped. Dropped the phone to maintain my balance. Turned out to be a wise decision as a cracked skull would be more expensive to fix than a cracked screen. The phone had a Spine tempered glass. The point of impact was the edge of the tempered glass. Initially I thought it was the tempered glass that shattered so ordered a new one. However after removing the old one I realised that the screen had cracked. A guy from the Apple service centre told me that there are people who replace only the top glass of the screen in such cases since the display was intact. No black marks. Managed to get a guy who agreed to do it for 14K. However while he was doing it the screen gave way and there were the black patches over the edges. Now I have to change the entire display. The guy however agreed to share the cost of the new display.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 12:36   #15896
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Android vs iOS debate aside, the key point is Google OS support for 7 years. There is no reason why Apple can't do the same.
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces 7 (or maybe 8) years updates, from the next iPhone.

Quote:
And what is their innovation this year? Yeh, a temperature sensor in a phone. Another "feature" that does nothing useful. Yeh, you can check the temperature of your coffee before you drink it.

Maybe next year they will get a volt meter.
LOL, nice one. But yeah that temperature doesn't quite make sense. In a smartwatch, probably yes. Having said that, they are working with the FDA to get it approved for the human body temperature measurement. Maybe that can be of some help, if at all.

Quote:
Apple's A17 is close to M1 in processing speed and even older chips like A14, A15 are mind boggling in their processing power. Apple chose 6 years of support because no one, and I mean, no one was even offering 4 years of support.

Editing? Pixel 8's camera output is not even a photo. It is pure photoshop (for lack of better word).
It's all a catch-up game. We're so often seeing even features being copied between the two. So, it's given that possibly they've kinda maxed out from the innovation front and have pretty much nothing left to move ahead. For example , check their latest OS updates; both don't have anything significant to offer. Heck, both have not even changed the UI since 2-3 years now!

Additionally, I would like to add that the Pixel phones (from 4a onwards) hold up pretty well. My Dad has been using it since the inception and it's working flawlessly. Agreed that he isn't a heavy user and just goes about the normal usage; yet, he's heavy into calls, WhatsApp and YT. The battery is holding pretty well too and there's no sign of any lag or stutter with the last OS update i.e. the 13.
The problem now is that there's no phone of that COMPACT size he can upgrade to. Sadly Google has followed the trend and moved onto to bigger sized phones, even in the base variant.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 6th October 2023 at 12:53.
Old 6th October 2023, 14:21   #15897
BHPian

Quote:
True... Pixel 3 / 3A were last good photography oriented phones from Google. Post that, it has been AI + Magic Eraser / Editor show all over. At this point to time, we are not even sure if the photos that are taken by smartphones are of actual events / moments or it is something "enahanced by AI". This is not photography, this is editing.
Regarding software support on IOS side, i think they will continue with 5-6 years support as is the case currently. Apple in past has not got into this race with android or other phone OEMs regarding latest features etc. to be available as soon as possible, and I do not see a reason why they will do it now. Pixels are nowhere as popular as Iphones and though I am myself gravitating towards Android, my choice will also be either a Samsung or Motorola. Pixel updates are notorious for fixing one thing and breaking another thing.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 19:56   #15898
BHPian

Quote:
Hardly anybody keeps their phones for 7 years, even if the phone holds up that long. Even if they don't die, the hardware would be hard-pressed to cope up with the processing demands of the day. I see it as a desperate try by Google to stay relevant in the game.
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 07:11   #15899
BHPian

My iPhone XR started getting warm and draining battery fast after this 17.03 update. This was not the case till 17.02 update
roamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 07:34   #15900
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Requesting experts or those who have researched this well, to help with these very specific queries please.

Are there any other massive material differences between iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 ProMax, besides the following?
1. Size and weight - this is the main thing for ease of portability and compactness.
2. Processing Chip - I guess this is very important but going from the 12 Pro Max, then the 15 Pro itself is likely to be a good material difference isn’t it?
3. Plain Pro has upto 3X zoom and Pro Max has upto 5x zoom - coming from the 12 Pro Max, will this make a huge material difference? My main use of my smartphone is for photography. I love iPhone for this.
4. Plain Pro has 23 hours video playback and Pro Max has 29 hours - but this absolutely doesn’t matter to me.
Reason for asking is that I am (at some point in the foreseeable future) planning my upgrade from iPhone 12 Pro Max to 15. I want a relatively compact and light phone with an absolutely super-superlative camera. (No Android please. Only iOS.). I take my iPhone 13 Mini out sometimes on its own and program call forwarding from the Pro Max. And the Mini is so refreshing to carry and use because it is super compact and I love it. Problem is they don’t have a 15 Pro Mini. If they did, I would buy it like a shot.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks