Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 10:29   #15751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
35% drop is 12 hours without use means some connectivity has gone wrong, either wifi or searching for 5g..
35% drop in about 9 hours. Post that it is holding at about a 1% per hour - my calls and browsing are not much.
Also, I dont use 5G. Wi-fi & BT are enabled, but these are not new uses. Wi-Fi would mostly be used when signals are weak - but I am on the ground floor in an area where we dont have high-rises around us.

Number of apps installed are also lower than norm.
Old 13th September 2023, 10:52   #15752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im thinking the 15 Pro and Pro Max will be superb upgrades from the 12 Pro Max which I presently use.
Mainly for the Camera capabilities and the Type C port.
Any thoughts?
Sir since you are already using the 12 Pro Max, I would suggest to buy the 15 Pro Max since the Pro model would feel too small. The camera quality is surely better and the colours would be much more crispier than before. Maybe we will get some more shots of your Cooper

Here is the comparison for all the mentioned models: https://www.apple.com/in/iphone/comp...,iphone-15-pro
Old 13th September 2023, 13:00   #15753
BHPian

Quote:
Im thinking the 15 Pro and Pro Max will be superb upgrades from the 12 Pro Max which I presently use.
Any thoughts?
Please don’t tempt me for this ! I’m a 12 Pro user and kinda contemplating whether or not these new Pro’s would make sense for an upgrade.

Any which way, I ain’t getting em from India though. These will surely be picked from UAE. Same was the case with my 12 Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
The price difference between India and abroad is still high, so much for made in india !
Only the vanilla 15 models are made in India, not the Pro’s.
Old 13th September 2023, 14:15   #15754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Definitely, that should be a good jump, but ideally Pro you should get from abroad, it is just way too expensive in India.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2023 at 07:51. Reason: Please capitalize as required. Thanks.
Old 13th September 2023, 18:47   #15755
BHPian

Guys once the battery health goes below 80% does it impact the performance or it does function fine with only exception that we get less battery life per charge?
Wife's Iphone XR which is 4 year old is at 82% battery health and I was wondering if that's the case I better upgrade the phone now.
Old 13th September 2023, 22:00   #15756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Guys once the battery health goes below 80% does it impact the performance ....
No impact on performance.

Check with Apple Store, getting battery replaced might cost around 10k and will renew this phone for another 2 - 3 years.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 22:03   #15757
BHPian

Quote:
Guys once the battery health goes below 80% does it impact the performance or it does function fine with only exception that we get less battery life per charge?
Wife's Iphone XR which is 4 year old is at 82% battery health and I was wondering if that's the case I better upgrade the phone now.
There is no definitive answer, but generally your phone undergoes throttling under heavy loads. It can still happen with your 82% battery health too. However, it’s a little more pronounced sub 80%. Moreover, Apple says that it reduces the ringer / call speaker volume, camera function may slow down , app opening & switching will be slower and the likes. So basically it kinda slows down your phone. Again, it depends if it really affects your day-to-day usage per se. I think with the phones from X series having bettter RAMs, this throttling isn’t quite affecting the usage as much as it did with say the 6 / 7 / 8 iPhones.

I experienced major throttling with my iPhone 7 even when the battery health was near 85%. However, it is way better in my 12 Pro with battery health at 84%. Also, it has remained at 84% for over 6 months now I think. Ofcourse, I haven’t been updating the iOS lately; so that can be the reason for it not dropping yet. I’m sure it’ll go sub 80% once I update to iOS 17.

On a side note, 4 years is a decent time for an upgrade I think. The 15 is quite an upgrade for the XR.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 13th September 2023 at 22:05.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 23:03   #15758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My iPhone 11 will complete 4 years in November, battery percentage is at 75% and I have never bothered with babying the charging process. I charge the phone whenever I like and of course when it’s low.

The throttling issues of yore are no issue at all now. My phone behaves like it did when I bought it, no slowing down.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 00:06   #15759
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15 (or Pro) from my current 13. If I use iCloud or iTunes to backup and restore to the new phone, will all my settings and apps continue working as before? Or would I have to setup apps like WhatsApp, iMobile, Google Pay etc from scratch?

Last edited by dragonfire : 14th September 2023 at 00:17.
Old 14th September 2023, 00:13   #15760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
No impact on performance.

Check with Apple Store, getting battery replaced might cost around 10k and will renew this phone for another 2 - 3 years.
Well that's a good idea considering she is not hell bent in replacing the phone.Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
There is no definitive answer, but generally your phone undergoes throttling under heavy loads. It can still happen with your 82% battery health too. However, it’s a little more pronounced sub 80%. Moreover, Apple says that it reduces the ringer / call speaker volume, camera function may slow down , app opening & switching will be slower and the likes. So basically it kinda slows down your phone. Again, it depends if it really affects your day-to-day usage per se. I think with the phones from X series having bettter RAMs, this throttling isn’t quite affecting the usage as much as it did with say the 6 / 7 / 8 iPhones.

I experienced major throttling with my iPhone 7 even when the battery health was near 85%. However, it is way better in my 12 Pro with battery health at 84%. Also, it has remained at 84% for over 6 months now I think. Ofcourse, I haven’t been updating the iOS lately; so that can be the reason for it not dropping yet. I’m sure it’ll go sub 80% once I update to iOS 17.

On a side note, 4 years is a decent time for an upgrade I think. The 15 is quite an upgrade for the XR.
Ya I guess we will find out soon when the battery goes below 80%. Wifey is not very keen on upgrading the phone so was looking for alternatives and awareness if a upgrade is the best way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
My iPhone 11 will complete 4 years in November, battery percentage is at 75% and I have never bothered with babying the charging process. I charge the phone whenever I like and of course when it’s low.

The throttling issues of yore are no issue at all now. My phone behaves like it did when I bought it, no slowing down.

Cheers
Well your charging pattern matches my wife's charging pattern. Considering you are at 75 percent i guess we are good for another year at least before which we either upgrade the phone or get a battery replacement.
Old 14th September 2023, 00:15   #15761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
If I use iCloud or iTunes to backup and restore to the new phone, will all my settings and apps continue working as before? Or would I have to setup apps like WhatsApp, iMobile, Google Pay etc from scratch?
iCloud just ensures backup and you can check which apps you have chosen to backup under the iCloud settings. I am not so sure about the settings aspect.
You will need to re-download the apps again but iirc Apple gives you the option to download all the apps which you had on your previous iPhone.
For WhatsApp you can restore the chats if it’s backed up and for Google Pay you need to re-initiate the addition of bank account since this would be a new device. So in short you’re starting from scratch in some apps.

Cheers!
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 00:20   #15762
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15 from my current 13. If I use iCloud or iTunes to backup and restore to the new phone, will all my settings and apps continue working as before?
You don’t need iCloud or iTunes to back up, once you get 15, while setting up, just bring the 2 phones close by and all your data will get transferred to the new phone, I think it’s called as “quick start”. Follow the onscreen instructions as prompted. It will take some time for the transfer of the data/apps, just ensure both phones aren’t required for sometime and are in close vicinity. Once transferred (double ensure that) you can erase your old device completely. The new iphone will be completely a replica of the old phone.

Cheers.
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 02:18   #15763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
For WhatsApp you can restore the chats if it’s backed up and for Google Pay you need to re-initiate the addition of bank account since this would be a new device. So in short you’re starting from scratch in some apps.
That won't work for me. I am out of the country at the moment and my WhatsApp number is not on roaming, so I wouldn't be able to setup WhatsApp from scratch. I was hoping that if the backup and restore process makes an exact copy, I can get away with it.

Am not too much worried about iMobile and Google Pay, as it is tied to a different mobile number and is on roaming. Yet want to avoid the hassle.
Old 14th September 2023, 07:04   #15764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That won't work for me. I am out of the country at the moment and my WhatsApp number is not on roaming, so I wouldn't be able to setup WhatsApp from scratch. I was hoping that if the backup and restore process makes an exact copy, I can get away with it.
Moving WhatsApp from iPhone to iPhone is really easy. You just need to backup the chat to iCloud in the old device. After that install WhatsApp in the new device, move the sim and on startup you will get the prompt to restore from iCloud. Just make sure that both devices are signed in with the same Apple ID.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 11:23   #15765
Senior - BHPian

Picked up an iphone SE3 from flipkart a few days ago for 34K for my wife. Her previous phone was an android(Redmi K20 pro). We used the "move to ios" android app to move stuff to the new phone. It did a pretty good job, and the best part was that all the whatsapp data and chat was also moved, which was contrary to our expectations and what we had read on the internet.

Looking at the battery stats for the past few days, the SE3 has a better battery than the SE2 that I have. It's a decent low cost entry level option for those who don't use their phone a lot.
sdp1975 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks