Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2023, 12:27   #15811
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I’m keen to read reviews of the iOS 17 update on the older device like the XS’s / 11’s.
No perceptible change tbh; everything works as it did on my 11 while it was on 16.7.

Not related to 11 but I hate the new keyboard on iOS 17; the autocorrect is a nuisance, it suggests typos/incorrect words for perfectly typed words. The contact card and the calling screen has also become very cluttered, was very clean earlier.

Just seems to me that Apple has drifted from the clean/subtle design language on iOS 17.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 12:44   #15812
BHPian

Quote:
My 12 Pro is at same battery health levels albeit with poor storage; free storage is barely 2 GB. Does the available free space has any role to play in a clean and smooth software update? I mean will the update perform better if one was to have a handsome 20-25 GB free space instead of say 6-7 GB ?
Not really but having atleast 5-6 gb of free space is good since you might see System taking more storage than usual which can impact performance. If you’re low on storage, iTunes update is recommended as it will download the iOS on your PC but not on your phone.

Quote:
Sorry for my noob question, but does this mean that you install by connecting it to the Mac or windows device?

I have a MBA M2, will it be a good idea to perform an update through the same? All these years I’ve always got it done OTA.

Is there any difference by doing it via Mac / iTunes?

Yes, I install it via iTunes on Windows. For Mac, you can use Finder. When using Windows/Mac it downloads the complete iOS whereas in OTA it will be a patch mostly if you’re upgrading to smaller build (from 17.0 to 17.0.1) rather than complete iOS upgrade (iOS 16 to 17). For major upgrades, I’ve followed iTunes way as I’ve felt the bugs that usually people encounter (example: Notification bug on iOS 17) isn’t present on my device and it feels better than iOS 16 in terms of performance.

Since you’re already on iOS 17 via OTA, I think it would be better to upgrade to 17.1 using iTunes.
AbhishekNigam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 13:12   #15813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The contact card and the calling screen has also become very cluttered, was very clean earlier.
As I posted some time back, this is what makes me feel go back to 16.XX. The calling screen and contact cards have become really ugly. Any pointers or ideas to somehow change it will be appreciated.

Regards.
Old 23rd September 2023, 15:36   #15814
BHPian

Other than the plain contact card and calling screen(it looks nice though if we setup contact poster), I am not finding any issues with iOS 17.
BTW, I have turned off auto correction feature long time back as it was really annoying.
Old 23rd September 2023, 15:58   #15815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekNigam View Post

Since you’re already on iOS 17 via OTA, I think it would be better to upgrade to 17.1 using iTunes.
I’m actually on iOS 16.3. Never really went ahead with the buggy updates and spoil the overall experience for myself. For the very reason I’m skeptical of updating to iOS 17 now.
Old 23rd September 2023, 15:59   #15816
BHPian

Anyone got the iPhone 15 pro or promax? How is it's performance (mainly the camera) compared to the iPhone 14 pro or promax? Am planning to upgrade to iPhone 15 pro or promax from my humble OnePlus 8. Don't mind upgrading to the 14 pro if the 15 pro is not that significantly better. I don't always depend on the YouTube reviews.

Last edited by Torque123 : 23rd September 2023 at 16:00.
Old 23rd September 2023, 16:12   #15817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Anyone got the iPhone 15 pro or promax? How is it's performance (mainly the camera) compared to the iPhone 14 pro or promax? Am planning to upgrade to iPhone 15 pro or promax from my humble OnePlus 8. Don't mind upgrading to the 14 pro if the 15 pro is not that significantly better. I don't always depend on the YouTube reviews.
I own a 14 pro Max and the differences that I see are that in 15 Pro Max they have a new periscopic lens which supports a 5X zoom compared to 3X zoom on the 14 pro Max series. They also have a spatial 3D sound recording feature while recording Audio and then they have a sensor shift OIS system which will grant better stability.

The main advantage you would have going for 15 PM over 14 PM is the usb type c port and whole host of storage and audio recording accesories that are now supported. In my opinion you should go for 15 pro Max because if you record longer videos in higher resolution then you can directly store on external drives which you cannot do in 14 PM

Off topic : since you are moving from One Plus why not consider S23 Ultra? I own an iPhone 14 pro Max and a S22 ultra and I feel my samsung is more versatile compared to my iphone.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 23rd September 2023 at 16:17.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 16:37   #15818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Off topic : since you are moving from One Plus why not consider S23 Ultra? I own an iPhone 14 pro Max and a S22 ultra and I feel my samsung is more versatile compared to my iphone.
Thank you for the update. Type C port surely makes life easier when it comes to data transfer. Is the periscope lens available only in the 15 promax or is it available in the 15 pro too? Isn't the entire camera setup new & better in the 15 pro & promax compared to the 14 pro & promax other than just the increase in optical zoom?

I love the cinematic mode for videos in the iPhone. It is just mind blowing & almost as good as videos taken on a mirrorless cameras for stationary or slow moving subjects that are pretty close. Going for an iPhone mainly for this reason .
Old 23rd September 2023, 16:59   #15819
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like Apple is keen to focus on the newer generation of iPhones with the latest and greatest and hence the older phones with say the 60 Hz and earlier gen chipsets aren’t quite compatible with the 17 as a result of which they are plagued with bugs. I’m just assuming this, may not be entirely true but any company will surely focus their resources into something that is latest and better speced.

I’m keen to read reviews of the iOS 17 update on the older device like the XS’s / 11’s.
My experience has been the opposite, with my older devices, even my 6S, my moms 12 mini (on iOS 17) , older 6 even, despite all being 60hz displays, they got smoother and faster with every iOS update. iPhone 6s runs very smooth on iOS 15, despite being 8 years old.

Choppy performance is mostly down an old battery not being able to keep up with system requirements, replace every 2-3 years and you’ll be good.

Even my 13 is 2 years old, it’s faster and smoother today than on day 1. Despite having 800 cycles on the battery. No other smartphone brand gives such long lasting performance.

Quote:
Is the periscope lens available only in the 15 promax or is it available in the 15 pro too? Isn't the entire camera setup new & better in the 15 pro & promax compared to the 14 pro & promax other than just the increase in optical zoom?
Yes 5x optical zoom is only available on the pro max variants. 15 Pro barely gets any improvement over the 14 pros, apart from minor things like next gen HDR. Every single lens is the same on the 14 pro and 15 pro.

You do get 4k 60 fps pro res recording on both and 2nd gen sensor shift image stabilisation over the 14’s. Slight improvement to portrait mode as well.

Last edited by AJ56 : 23rd September 2023 at 17:07.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 18:32   #15820
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the update. Type C port surely makes life easier when it comes to data transfer. Is the periscope lens available only in the 15 promax or is it available in the 15 pro too? Isn't the entire camera setup new & better in the 15 pro & promax compared to the 14 pro & promax other than just the increase in optical zoom?
The periscope lens is reserved for 15 Pro Max. As mentioned earlier a better Optical sensor (sensor shift) and Spatial video are the only changes above 14 Pro series & that's the thing with iPhone an yearly update never makes sense. It makes sense when you are upgrading in every 2-3 years. For eg it was a decent change for me when I went from 11 pro to 14 pro max.
BleueNinja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:50   #15821

I was looking to pickup the Pro max from Abu Dhabi coinciding with my travel next week. But looks like the Apple online wait times are far out extending currently into late October. Is there any way to pick up the iPhone directly from any other store / reseller. If anyone has experience with the "Reserve Now" option on the apple site and if I should be giving that a try after I land there?
Old 23rd September 2023, 22:15   #15822
BHPian

For the forum members planning for upgrade to the new iphone: Do watch this video.
The ProMax is much more fragile than the regular one.

Old 23rd September 2023, 23:10   #15823
Senior - BHPian

This was a torture to watch, as he damaged a new phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
For the forum members planning for upgrade to the new iphone: Do watch this video. The ProMax is much more fragile than the regular one.
Old 23rd September 2023, 23:58   #15824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
The ProMax is much more fragile than the regular one.
This is actually true. Here’s another video from a Famous YouTuber who yearly experiments Drop Tests of New Launched iPhones from various heights.

Link-
Old 24th September 2023, 07:49   #15825
BHPian

For me, the whole iOS 17 experience has been pretty positive. I don't like the new call screen and the contact card though! Lost the class is what I feel. I am still using an iPhone 12 with 87% battery health and it got all the more fluid with the update. Same situation with wifey's 11r. The battery is draining fast which is expected for few days, hopefully it will settle down. So, folks with older phones don't hesitate, overall it's a worthy update just for the fluid experience
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks