Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 14:43   #15931
BANNED

Re: The iPhone Thread

Just moved to iPhone from android and in the process of the long and complicated setup. After 3.5 hour of "move to ios", I found my call history has not been copied.
  • Can someone help me on how to get my call history to the new iPhone? It is a iPhone 14 though that I got from BBD.
  • Also, any pointer, how can I move my 2nd Whatsapp configured with my 2nd sim to iPhone Whatsapp business account which shall be with the sim 2?
  • Is there a way to configure credit card in payment profile? All I can see UPI as the option when I tried to set it up to claim my 6 month Apple music.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 9th October 2023, 14:50   #15932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Just updated my iPhone 14 to iOS 17.0.3

Hope all is well and i am new to apple ecosystem. Battery health fell to 98% with just 105 cycles. It was 99% before the update to iOS17.
After the same update, my battery health fell to 98.5% and the phone is just 02 months old. Is it normal?
Apple says battery health is reduced by around 1% after 25 complete cycles. But I saw people claiming they retained around 90% after 800 complete cycles (02 years).
Old 9th October 2023, 15:02   #15933
BHPian

Planning to give my daughter 11 YO a Iphone XR used by mum.
The battery health is currently @ 87%.
I wanted to know should I get the battery changed or it'll be ok for an year or so?
Her usage isn't going to be much as the phone won't be with her all the time.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 9th October 2023, 15:32   #15934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
You dont actually have to do this. There is a shortcut which you can enable. Couple of pages back the shortcut is also posted.

AJ56 had posted in post number 15632

EDIT: Just realized that the link to shortcut is not working. I still have that working on my phone though.
Yes, I only use the shortcut, it’s much less of a hassle. Still works by the way, just checked.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/87c...9b63de4ae5ad5a

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbaman View Post
After the same update, my battery health fell to 98.5% and the phone is just 02 months old. Is it normal?
Apple says battery health is reduced by around 1% after 25 complete cycles. But I saw people claiming they retained around 90% after 800 complete cycles (02 years).
Yes I claimed that, the 20% loss over 500 cycles is the minimum that Apple claims, with basic care your battery can suffer much less damage.

In your case that’s definitely not normal. In my case it took 7 months/220 charge cycles for it to fall to 99%. Although until you drop below 80% Apple service won’t help you under warranty (assuming you drop below 80 with less than 500 cycles.)

Also keep in mind, the reason our phones show 100% for a few months when new is the device actually ships with a slightly higher capacity than what’s rated, in my case it shipped with 4522 mah, despite the 13 pro max being rated at 4352 mah. This number can vary by 1-2% but it’s always higher than rated capacity. Here is my cycle count history in case you’re interested:
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_7735.png  

The iPhone Thread-img_7739.png  

The iPhone Thread-img_7737.png  

Last edited by AJ56 : 9th October 2023 at 15:36.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 16:07   #15935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
You can find it by doing the following:-

Go to Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Analytics & Improvements -> Analytics Data -> Analytics File of a particular date would be present (Ex. Analytics-2023-10-05-012402.ips.ca)
There are no such file in my iPhone 11. I have searched extensively, please advise.
Old 9th October 2023, 16:16   #15936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
There are no such file in my iPhone 11. I have searched extensively, please advise.
Switch ON Share iPhone Analytics and then wait for 24-48 hours. The files shall appear. This is what I found on YouTube and I am also waiting.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 16:35   #15937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Just moved to iPhone from android and in the process of the long and complicated setup. After 3.5 hour of "move to ios", I found my call history has not been copied. Can someone help me on how to get my call history to the new iPhone? It is a iPhone 14 though that I got from BBD.
Move to IOS normally transfers all the contents. Contact Apple Support on Support app.

Quote:
Also, any pointer, how can I move my 2nd Whatsapp configured with my 2nd sim to iPhone Whatsapp business account which shall be with the sim 2?
iPhone in India supports one physical sim and 2nd one an esim with 2 different numbers. Download WhatsApp and WhatApp Business account and register with the respective sim numbers.

Quote:
Is there a way to configure credit card in payment profile? All I can see UPI as the option when I tried to set it up to claim my 6 month Apple music.[/list]
Even I did not find credit/debit card option. So I presume only Net Banking and UPI can be configured.
Old 9th October 2023, 17:03   #15938

Hello Forum members - Has anyone changed the battery of an iPhone and used it? Will it last as long as the original one or is it not worth changing the battery?

My scenario:
I have an iPhone 8Plus with battery at 51%, I have been postponing battery replacement since long but now the phone does not hold charge for more than 30 min of usage. A new battery will cost me around INR 6000.
So, should I change the battery or simply exchange on Amazon or Flipkart for a new phone? I really don't want to switch from iPhone but the new range if iPhones are simply too expensive.
So its either replace the battery of my 8Plus or look for either iPhone SE 3rd Gen or Pixel 7a.

PS: I am getting around INR 8500 off on exchange for pixel 7a and an additional INR 2000 immediate discount on ICICI Credit Cards on Flipkart

Kindly advise.
Old 9th October 2023, 17:04   #15939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes, It is indeed about Rs 30K to 35K cheaper there. And I agree that since I am absolutely not in a hurry, this isn't at all a bad idea because of the cost savings.

(I normally change my iPhone once in 2 to 3 years and tend to buy the latest one in the middle or at the end of the model lifecycle, because, not being one of those highly competitive characters, I really have no urge at all to be the ‘first-est’. )

As I have said many times, my main reason to stay with iPhone is the deliciousness of its camera.
More specifically in the case of iPhone 15 Pro Max, I love that 48mp and 5X zoom and Type C port and the Brushed Titanium case and all.

There are two more points for me to consider;

When I buy in India, I prefer to buy with my credit card; one thing is that I will pay the taxes in India (however much we crib about the poor ROI in India for tax payers, paying tax for the good of my own poor country is not a bad thing really.) (Dont get me wrong - I am not trying to go all ‘preachy’ - I crib and curse just as much as the next guy, but end of the day I love this place with all its warts.)

The other point is that one gets points on the credit card which is also a good thing because in a way it is like a cash back by way of points which one can use later.
Agreed on all points. I also used my credit card to get the phone from the US so from a points standpoint, that works well. I had no intention to change my phone however I saw that the 15 pro max is retailing for 1,60,000 while in the US it came to around 1,00,000. Hence the impulse buy!
Old 9th October 2023, 17:09   #15940

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Folks, need to buy a couple of high power multi-port wall chargers for our travel. ...

Has to be USB-C; Apple sells a dual-port one for 6K! Any suggestions?
Flipkart is selling the Original Apple 35W dual USB-C charger at a discounted rate of Rs. 5068/-(Original Cost Rs. 5800/-). You can further reduce the price by using your ICICI cards. I have placed an order for the same. Here is the link:Apple 35W Charger
Old 9th October 2023, 17:50   #15941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insas1983 View Post
Hello Forum members - Has anyone changed the battery of an iPhone and used it? Will it last as long as the original one or is it not worth changing the battery?
Replaced battery will serve you well. I was using iPhone 6 till recently with just battery replacement. Some important apps like Google pay stopped support for ios12 (iPhone 6), that’s the only reason I decided to upgrade.

Even if you choose to upgrade later, your iPhone 8 with new battery will be a very good phone to give to someone in family.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2023 at 04:54. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 20:51   #15942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I had the 13 Pro which died on me just after 19 days the warranty expired. Had a motherboard issue had tried getting it fixed but it started developing other issues like the camera wouldn't focus battery drain the screen wouldn't auto rotate to the left when you tilt the phone. The biggest bummer was when the speaker just went kaput while I was boarding a flight for a business visit out of India. After the 5S, X this was my third iphone and have never had just a bad experience with an iphone ever. It was like my phone turned into a lemon just went the warranty expired and I had never updated the OS as well after purchasing the phone.
I’ve had very similar issues with the Apple device dying just after warranty. It sucks!

In the recent past, I’ve seen increased failure rates with iPhones and iPads (speaker problem, lighting port problems, etc) and MacBooks (motherboard fry primarily).

Unfortunately most seem to die just after warranty expiry, adding to the woes. To make matters worse, Apple India customer service is pathetic and robotic, and have zero empathy even for genuine issues. They just ask you to visit an authorised service centre who in turn charge exhorbitant prices (~40-60% of phone value for most parts), making it logical to simply replace with a new device. So there’s simply no way out of the matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

Now, I am in two minds whether to go for the 15 pro or the max. The 5x zoom is the biggest draw for me but the build quality with the back glass snapping is something that is playing on my mind currently and thinking whether to stick with the pro series as it's a size I am used to too now.

So, wanted to know with a cover on is it too bulky and especially while riding I don't think I can keep that phone in my pant pocket. Right?
The 15 Pro seems to be the perfect choice for most users. It’s handy, entry price is lower (with 128GB option at $999). And the 3x optical zoom is just perfect for most scenarios.

On the other hand, the Pro Max is more prone to breakage, is unwieldy to use with one hand(even more so with a case on), and starts at $1299. The 5x zoom is a good to have, not a must, and considering the other factors the 15 Pro is simply a better ‘quality of life’ product.

If it’s the pro series, I would def consider getting it from abroad (Dubai preferably as it has a physical sim slot too vs US eSIM only model). The price is simply ridiculous in India!

Oh, btw pls do factor in the cost of Apple Care+ if you really want peace of mind. I got one for my 15 recently.

Last edited by evolvo : 9th October 2023 at 20:55. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 20:55   #15943
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Agreed on all points. I also used my credit card to get the phone from the US so from a points standpoint, that works well. I had no intention to change my phone however I saw that the 15 pro max is retailing for 1,60,000 while in the US it came to around 1,00,000. Hence the impulse buy!
60% higher price in India? Man! Thats a huge amount.
Old 9th October 2023, 21:01   #15944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-14 View Post
Flipkart is selling the Original Apple 35W dual USB-C charger at a discounted rate of Rs. 5068/-(Original Cost Rs. 5800/-). You can further reduce the price by using your ICICI cards. I have placed an order for the same.
Anker is a highly respected brand for Chargers, with relatively affordable products and in a much smaller package usually

Preferably get a bunch from US during Black Friday sale. Quite expensive in India.

For cases, I highly recommend Spigen

Last edited by evolvo : 9th October 2023 at 21:11. Reason: minor edits
Old 9th October 2023, 21:05   #15945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
The 15 Pro seems to be the perfect choice for most users. It’s handy, entry price is lower (with 128GB option at $999). And the 3x optical zoom is just perfect for most scenarios.
I just happened to visit Croma in the evening today and saw both the pro and max series and the max definitely will be too bulky to carry around especially with a cover.

I had the 1TB version of the 13 pro and I will mostly go for the 15 pro with the same storage option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
Oh, btw pls do factor in the cost of Apple Care+ if you really want peace of mind. I got one for my 15 recently.
I don't want to deal with Apple care anymore especially the harrowing time I had trying to connect on their number which would say invalid at times and the call would just disconnect when you're put on hold when it does connect. Spent half a day just trying to get them to consider getting my phone repaired under warranty.

Also, the other thing I didn't like is that they just give 90 days warranty for anything that is replaced at the centre. So, If my phone dies again in the future I will just call it peace and move on instead of boiling my blood in order to get it repaired.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks