Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 12:54   #14431
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
or get the battery replaced at an authorised centre.
Always the best option. Your phone is good for another three years before it may be unable to keep up.

My two year old 11 is also at 83% battery health.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:09   #14432
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone 11 base variant is one year old today and its battery health stands at 87%.

I don’t think its normal to have this much reduction in battery health. I charge my phone to 100% once a day. I am using my normal iPad charger for that. My daily phone usage is around 4-5 hours.

Anyway, hope it doesnt go down to less than 75% after another 365 days. The middle class me is planning to use this phone for as long as possible as I am not too impressed with the iPhone to be honest. I carry my other phone (2019 purchased Xiaomi MiA3) in my bag daily as well (only for HotSpot usage) and I have decided to try that phone for elective usage during free time to see if a reduction in screen time reduces the speed of battery deterioration in the iPhone 11.

The iPhone Thread-4134c3c5fb6641bea7573158b7840980.png
Old 31st January 2022, 13:19   #14433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I am using my normal iPad charger for that.
I suspect this to be the cause of more than expected battery deterioration. I think fast chargers (high wattage ones) cause degradation sooner. I recently got iPhone 13 and am using charger which I have at home and for now am completely avoiding usage of my iPad's 20w charger.
Previously, I did use the iPad charger with my iPhone 6S and it charged the phone pretty fast compared to my regular less wattage charger but I felt it reduced the battery health sooner (I see percentage drop from 100% to 97% in aftermarket battery in short period of time).

As far as what I read, wireless chargers and high wattage charges can cause faster battery deterioration. May be better to do overnight charging with a low wattage charger (may be old 5W one if you still have).
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:20   #14434
BHPian

My iPhone 11 is one year and 2 months old and battery health is at 94%. I use the official 20W charger from Apple.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-e592c5b118514bd68575c96e6d743c91.png  

emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:22   #14435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My iPhone 11 base variant is one year old today and its battery health stands at 87%.

I don’t think its normal to have this much reduction in battery health. I charge my phone to 100% once a day. I am using my normal iPad charger for that. My daily phone usage is around 4-5 hours.
I think this battery health thing is an overrated ‘extra feature’ that adds to the worry. I would suggest ignoring that (or at least stop looking at it regularly) and go with the normal usage.

Since you mentioned the percentage, I just checked mine – 7 months old iPhone 12 Mini stands at 88%
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:24   #14436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think this battery health thing is an overrated ‘extra feature’ that adds to the worry. I would suggest ignoring that (or at least stop looking at it regularly) and go with the normal usage.
I agree. If your phone works well and you can get by your day with the battery without needing to charge, just use it normally. My wife's iPhone X is 4 years+ old and the battery shows as "service" and health as 75% and still it has not impact on her since her usage is not so high and whenever she can, she will place it on the charging cradle so we are extracting maximum life out of the battery before deciding to replace it.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:50   #14437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
We have an iPhone 12 (128 GB with around 4 months warranty remaining) which seems to have a lot of issues like Whatsapp (not receiving calls until app is open, some media files not downloading etc), also have some delay issues with outgoing calls etc. Abruptly loosing network while on call etc. We are on the latest ios version.
Is your background app refresh on for whatsapp?
Check if enabling and reboot of phone helps.
SideView is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:14   #14438
BHPian

My 2 and half year old iPhone XR is at 84% battery health. Just last week I checked it, at that time it was 87% and then a sudden drop of 3% in 4-5 days kinda shocked me. But the usage and longevity of the battery is still the same. Still lasts me a day easily, when I reach home, the phone is usually around 12-15% charge. So I havent really bothered much about the battery health since the day I bought it. On the other hand, my wife’s 6 month old iPhone 11 is at 97% battery health and her phone usually lasts 1 and half day.
Old 31st January 2022, 14:17   #14439
Senior - BHPian

I agree. The battery on my 6S was a goner, yet it was showing good health. I had to strongly insist the Genius Bar guys change it, as they weren't ready to do so
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think this battery health thing is an overrated ‘extra feature’
Old 31st January 2022, 14:31   #14440
BHPian

I also changed my iphone 8+ battery 6 months back (due to quick discharge issue). I was using an aftermarket charger for couple of months.

Replaced the aftermarket one with original 5w charger the battery still shows 100% health after this change.

Not sure if it is due to battery not been original that it isnt able to detect the health correctly but overall now the battery lasts almost for 8 hours (moderate usage) I am happy with it.

Last edited by SideView : 31st January 2022 at 14:33.
Old 31st January 2022, 16:04   #14441
BHPian

My iPhone SE - June 2020 stands at 85% for battery health.
I am using my iPad's 20W charger.
Degrading battery is making already pathetic battery performance even worse

The iPhone Thread-013650a6ce964db1b7cfaee5518605b8.jpeg
Old 31st January 2022, 16:50   #14442
Senior - BHPian

This battery health thing has been beaten to death previously also. Friends please don’t bother checking this at all, I think Apple has put this in to make everyone go mad If the battery is working well, say like you remember previously, just keep using and charging it as required.

If you notice sudden battery drain or if you feel it’s not working for you as it used to or you can’t live with the existing battery power, consider it time for a replacement. Upgrading the phone or changing the battery is entirely up to an individual. If I were to change my battery, I would only change it with Apple official.

Seeing this discussion again, I was reminded and checked my 11, it was bought in November 2019 and battery health is at 87%.

Enjoy the phone guys, let us not let Apple spoil our peace of mind with this silly, unnecessary feature. Please think of the past when this feature did not exist and do what I have mentioned above, which is exactly what we did earlier.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 21:31   #14443
Team-BHP Support

I don't buy the whole 'slow chargers make batteries last longer' myth Apple loves to peddle either.

My OnePlus 7T at home that was always charged to 100% (sometimes more than once a day under heavy use) with its 35W charger shows a higher battery health % after 2 years than the iPhones of similar age, always charged optimally (to 80%) with the bundled 5W charger.

Pfft.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 21:42   #14444
BHPian

I beg to disagree with many recent comments above. I own a 8+ and I have been using 20W or above fast charger that my brother offered some 2 years back. Since then the battery health has been steadily decreasing and it now stands at 75%. These days, the battery discharge speed is very high and at times I have noticed the battery discharge from 10% to 1% happens within minutes, with wifi or 4G on. Earlier I used to switch off Wifi or 4G connection and the battery discharge used to withhold for quite a lot of time, but even that characteristic is lost now. I am of the opinion, that my switch from 5W charger to the high speed charger (of Apple) has caused the battery health to deteriorate very fast and the battery health is a good indicator of the "health" and battery replacement would definitely be due if the health falls below 75%, IMHO.
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 23:06   #14445
BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, hope it doesnt go down to less than 75% after another 365 days. The middle class me is planning to use this phone for as long as possible as I am not too impressed with the iPhone to be honest.

Attachment 2267093
Check the cycles on your battery (see YouTube for how to), as per Apple it is designed to hold a minimum of 80% health at 500 cycles.

In my case, my 12 pro max was at 81% health after 1 year and 440 cycles, which is spot on. If you’re a lighter user, it will take longer to reach the same cycle count. I only use the 15W MagSafe apple charger and brick. My moms 12 mini also hit 80% at 490 cycles and that was exclusively charged with the 20W apple brick and cable.

Wireless charging in the 12 series did cause a lot of heating (to the point of it reducing brightness), in the 13 it’s fixed and hardly heats up. Avoid deep discharging your battery (<20%), also leave optimised charging on.

Unlike others, I think the more information your device gives you about itself and its own hardware (including batteries), the better. It’s much easier to check your battery health quickly than go around digging for cycle count and nominal charge capacity under logs in privacy settings. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 31st January 2022 at 23:14.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks