Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 09:45   #14416
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Unfortunately, back then I was one of those who used to jump at anything new. I remember the original iOS 9 slowing the phone down, however it's currently on the latest update which Apple released (iOS 9.3.6 I think) and not feeling much slowed down.
My 4S was also running the last iOS it supported 9.3.6 but it slowed down considerably. I made a big mistake when I upgraded to iOS 9.

I think the phone still works but there was some display issue when I last turned it on.

Quote:
On a side note, 4S was the last iPhone I absolutely "loved". It still feels premium, holding it in hand.
+1. 4S still feels very premium when you hold it. The build quality is top notch. I loved the form factor, so given the resemblance of the 12 series with the shape of 4S, I got myself the 12Mini. But the build quality feels flimsy compared to the 4S; specially the side bezels. I still maintain that the 4S was one of the best built iPhones.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 15:46   #14417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
+1. 4S still feels very premium when you hold it. The build quality is top notch. I loved the form factor, so given the resemblance of the 12 series with the shape of 4S, I got myself the 12Mini. But the build quality feels flimsy compared to the 4S; specially the side bezels. I still maintain that the 4S was one of the best built iPhones.
I was using a iphone 5 for almost 4+ years and would agree that the build quality for earlier iphones was fantastic. I have recently upgraded from an iphone 7 to iphone 12 mini, and I feel the build quality for same is good too. It is just that iphone of earlier generations (4s to 5s) felt extremely dense when held while the current generation devices somehow feel less dense. Might be due to use of different alloy, metal or something. However, the built quality of 12 mini is of actually high standard if I look at the higher end spectrum of phones across IOS & android.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 17:47   #14418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4S still feels very premium when you hold it. The build quality is top notch..,..I got myself the 12Mini. But the build quality feels flimsy compared to the 4S; specially the side bezels. I still maintain that the 4S was one of the best built iPhones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
I was using a iphone 5 for almost 4+ years and would agree that the build quality for earlier iphones was fantastic. I have recently upgraded from an iphone 7 to iphone 12 mini, and I feel the build quality for same is good too. It is just that iphone of earlier generations (4s to 5s) felt extremely dense when held while the current generation devices somehow feel less dense. Might be due to use of different alloy, metal or something. However, the built quality of 12 mini is of actually high standard if I look at the higher end spectrum of phones across IOS & android.
I got the 4s in 2011 and yes it was very well made. My IP7+ (still with me for now as a backup set) though well made is still no patch on that old 4s. When I upgraded to an IP13P last month that construction and even the weighty feel to the handset brought back memories of the 4s. The reason the IP13P and the IP13M are heavier compared is not just due to the bigger screen and battery but also due to the stainless steel in its construction much like how the 4s had aluminium (IIRC, I sold it in 2014) but the feel of this phone is frankly really my cup of tea. I am quite a fan of better build quality.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 18:53   #14419
BHPian

We have an iPhone 12 (128 GB with around 4 months warranty remaining) which seems to have a lot of issues like Whatsapp (not receiving calls until app is open, some media files not downloading etc), also have some delay issues with outgoing calls etc. Abruptly loosing network while on call etc. We are on the latest ios version.

Took it 2 different Apple Auth service centers, there were no hardware issues as per diagnostics and both times reset & reinstalled the software but the issues have not got resolved.

Any pointers or has anybody seen issues like this ? Please help.

Also where can we get the best price if we need to get rid of this phone ? Local stores are quoting 45K but only with exchange, Cashify is quoting 41K. Is this good.
Old 26th January 2022, 21:51   #14420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
We have an iPhone 12 (128 GB with around 4 months warranty remaining) which seems to have a lot of issues like Whatsapp (not receiving calls until app is open, some media files not downloading etc), also have some delay issues with outgoing calls etc. Abruptly loosing network while on call etc. We are on the latest ios version.

Took it 2 different Apple Auth service centers, there were no hardware issues as per diagnostics and both times reset & reinstalled the software but the issues have not got resolved.

Also where can we get the best price if we need to get rid of this phone ? Local stores are quoting 45K but only with exchange, Cashify is quoting 41K. Is this good.
Did you have these issues on the previous os before updating? Did you change SIM’s recently? If the issues are recent, could be related to the os and may resolve as apple updates it.

Assuming your phone is in good condition, if I remember the 128gb 12 retailed at 80k, so I’d say you should get 45-50k as fair price with 4 months warranty left. Cashify tends to low ball you on estimates, list it on OLX for the best value, but it’s a little more effort as opposed to just handing it over to a store/Cashify.

Last edited by AJ56 : 26th January 2022 at 22:07.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 23:04   #14421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Did you have these issues on the previous os before updating? Did you change SIM’s recently? If the issues are recent, could be related to the os and may resolve as apple updates it..
Yes, we did change the Network provider from BSNL to Airtel and hence the SIM. Dont really remember having issues with whatsapp but not sure what was the os version at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Assuming your phone is in good condition, if I remember the 128gb 12 retailed at 80k, so I’d say you should get 45-50k as fair price with 4 months warranty left. Cashify tends to low ball you on estimates, list it on OLX for the best value, but it’s a little more effort as opposed to just handing it over to a store/Cashify.
Thanks but selling is the last option considering the depreciation hit we would have to take but my Dad is frustrated with the issues.
Old 26th January 2022, 23:30   #14422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Apple hardware diagnostics is not perfect in my opinion. My other phone, 6S used to heat up a lot since the time I bought it. But I never took it to apple service and thought it to be normal. However my phone’s display was changed at Apple service and later the battery was also changed by Apple service. Both the times they did complete diagnostic of the phone and even gave me a written report both times that everything is okay and my phone has passed all the diagnostic tests. However soon the NAND chip on my phone failed and I got it repaired outside. Post this repair, my phone has never heated again to the extent it used to. This means that my phone had some issue since it left apple factory to begin with. And they were never able to diagnose it through their so called diagnostic tests that they had run multiple times on my phone.

Regarding your phone I would suggest you to completely wipe out the phone and reinstall the software through iTunes as a last shot.

Last edited by saket77 : 26th January 2022 at 23:33.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 23:33   #14423
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we did change the Network provider from BSNL to Airtel and hence the SIM. Dont really remember having issues with whatsapp but not sure what was the os version at that time.
If you are running on the iOS 15.X, then that ‘might’ be an issue as this particular OS version is causing problems to the users especially compared to the previous i.e. iOS 14. This is a very small set of people that are facing issue with 15 & seems like your phone is affected by the same bug.

I read some reviews that the initial impressions of the Beta 15.3 is good, which is expected to arrive by early Feb. Maybe you should give it a try & take the final call.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 09:48   #14424
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding your phone I would suggest you to completely wipe out the phone and reinstall the software through iTunes as a last shot.
Thanks, the phone was wiped out and re-installed and data restored from iCloud. However not sure if iTunes was used by the service centre.
Old 27th January 2022, 09:50   #14425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
If you are running on the iOS 15.X, then that ‘might’ be an issue as this particular OS version is causing problems to the users especially compared to the previous i.e. iOS 14. This is a very small set of people that are facing issue with 15 & seems like your phone is affected by the same bug
I checked Youtube videos which mentioned some issues with Push Notifications, however did not see the error messages on our phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I read some reviews that the initial impressions of the Beta 15.3 is good, which is expected to arrive by early Feb. Maybe you should give it a try & take the final call.
Thanks, that's the plan to wait for the next update.
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 10:44   #14426
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I was using Android phone for my office calls until recently, when my company provided me with iphone 12.
I took the esim option in the phone and switched my office sim to esim. I also used the physical sim for my personal phone number.
Now, after switching to esim, i am finding that the signal reception is very poor, not only for the esim, but for the second sim as well.
I am also getting frequent call drops, am not able to hear the other party, unable to place calls etc.
Any help to overcome this issue is very much appreciated.
Note: I cannot shift my personal sim to esim, as it is from bsnl and they dont have that option.

Thanks in advance.
Barath
barathvajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:57   #14427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hello Friends,

Any help to overcome this issue is very much appreciated.
Note: I cannot shift my personal sim to esim, as it is from bsnl and they dont have that option.

Thanks in advance.
Barath
I assume you have the latest iOS. Maybe try to take calls without the phone case to see of there's any difference.
Old 27th January 2022, 13:15   #14428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hello Friends,

Thanks in advance.
Barath
Seems like there is some issue with your iPhone. My mom has been using BSNL (physical) + Airtel (eSIM) for more than 1.5 years, first in her XR and currently on iPhone 11. Cell reception has been fine on both the sims and both the phones.
My sister also uses two Airtel sims (physical + esim, work & personal) on her iPhone 11 pro and she hasn't complained either.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 06:53   #14429
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, the phone was wiped out and re-installed and data restored from iCloud. However not sure if iTunes was used by the service centre.
I don't think the issues you mentioned are hardware related. At least, the issue you mentioned for WhatsApp might be related to notification/permission settings. I'd suggest you wipe and re-install using iTunes and not restore from backup, just to try. If you find your issues resolved, you may also try doing a settings reset after restoring from backup. Just a heads up, using iTunes, you can do a full backup of your phone as well
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 09:23   #14430
BHPian

Hello everyone, I have iPhone 11, of which the battery has degraded to 83% in one year, was wondering if anyone knows the cost of the battery at an authorised centre ? It seems the cost is around 9000/-. Yet to enquire at the store.

Is it worth upgrading to new iPhone 12 or 13, or get the battery replaced at an authorised centre. (I am getting around 25 k for the iPhone 11.)

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks