Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 10:54   #14401
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I think the extra protrusion of the 13 pro max cameras is totally worth it considering the stellar image quality one gets with the 7 element lens.

Keep in mind any film/protector you apply to the lenses will result in a reduction in image/video quality as it’s a another layer between the camera and the subject.

I’d suggest checking out the multiple drop and abuse tests people have done on the 13 pro max on YouTube, the camera lens are made of sapphire glass, much harder than screen glass and nearly impossible to scratch, short of direct drops on say gravel (even then scratches aren’t guaranteed) or taking a blade to it, I don’t think it should be a major issue. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the three years that I have had the Iphone 8+ without a case, the camera has taken as much abuse it could but hasnt got a single scratch. The rear glass is also broken after sliding on a gravel patch and the camera has been cleaned with whatever cloth possible. Yet zero scratches. Even the screen has taken very minor scratches visible in bright light but not the camera.

Thanks for your feedback! I have now certainly dropped the idea of a lens protector for my wife’s iPhone 13 pro max, I mean there is no point to get an accessory like this if it’s going to ruin the quality of the images on a phone like iPhone 13 pro max. The primary reason for buying the phone anyway was to ensure high quality images.

So for now both my iPhone 12 and my wife’s 13 pro max have Spigen tough armour cases and they serve us quite well. I have always used Otterbox cases, but finding one now in India is very difficult and if you order it in their HongKong site then shipping charges are extremely high. Maybe when it’s time to switch these cases I’m hoping to switch to UAG, they look quite cool.

Last edited by motorworks : 23rd January 2022 at 10:55.
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:21   #14402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have now certainly dropped the idea of a lens protector for my wife’s iPhone 13 pro max
Thanks for bringing up this topic. My wife’s phones are quite drop-prone and hence we had this lens protector glass on her iPhone Pro Max from day 1. Seeing this discussion I removed the protector yesterday and she now blame me for living with low quality pictures for the past 3 months – the photos are much crisper with the protector removed
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:58   #14403
Senior - BHPian

I resurrected my old iPhone 6S and was using it as 'stand-by', but the wifi function disappeared suddenly leading me to suspect Apple doesn't want us to use their old phone models indefinitely. It was a perfectly working phone till the battery started playing up, and I had that replaced at their Genius Bar. Now this
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:27   #14404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I resurrected my old iPhone 6S and was using it as 'stand-by', but the wifi function disappeared suddenly leading me to suspect Apple doesn't want us to use their old phone models indefinitely. It was a perfectly working phone till the battery started playing up, and I had that replaced at their Genius Bar. Now this
My iPhone has/had this issue. WiFi connects only if I hold the phone close to the antenna on the router. Since it was still on warranty I had logged a case but then due to the lockdowns could not take the phone to the service center before warranty expired. Later they refused to take it in. I continued using the phone without wifi until I bought a dual band router. To my surprise the phone connects to the 5Gz band without any problem)

BTW, the service center had said that it is a common problem with 6S and the wifi module would be at fault. Some articles on the internet sas that the module maybe loose and you only need to press it into the slot.

Ah yes, my first iPhone (the legendary iPhone 2G) also had a loose wifi antenna and I regularly used to pop open the base part (black plastic) to press the connector back into its place.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:28   #14405
MSC
BHPian

Hello.
I have been an Android user since time immemorial. I have used almost all sort and all brands of smartphones starting from Samsung, Nokia and a couple of Chinese phones thrown in for completing my smartphone lineup. Since past couple of years I have happily settled for OnePlus and started with OnePlus 5 and then upgraded to 7pro which is happily serving me currently. I do not usually change phones rapidly and one smartphone usually lasts me till it is supported by OEM for its security updates. I had been happy with OnePlus but since past some months, the updates have been highly erratic and have made the phone usage highly unstable and irritating.
I have been almost away from Apple and it's ecosystem and the only exposure to Apple is via the iPad which I use for personal use. I am looking for a reliable smartphone which I intend to keep for atleast three to four years. I had shortlisted Apple 13 this time. I wanted to confirm from the current Apple users, especially the previous generation models, is Apple still sending updates which slow down the phone after a couple of years? I definitely don't want to end up with a dead slow phone within two years.
It may be noob question to old Apple users but since I have never ever used an Apple phone, i am totally unaware of its usage and related updates.
If possible, please guide accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:42   #14406
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
I had shortlisted Apple 13 this time. I wanted to confirm from the current Apple users, especially the previous generation models, is Apple still sending updates which slow down the phone after a couple of years? I definitely don't want to end up with a dead slow phone within two years.
It may be noob question to old Apple users but since I have never ever used an Apple phone, i am totally unaware of its usage and related updates.
I have not noticed this ‘slowness’ issue. I am not sure of those models which are like 4-5 years old, but I have a XR as my work phone and it doesn’t feel slow or sluggish at any point. And I am always up-to-date with all the latest apple updates. iPhone 13 is a great choice to go with.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:53   #14407
BHPian

Quote:
...I wanted to confirm from the current Apple users, especially the previous generation models, is Apple still sending updates which slow down the phone after a couple of years? I definitely don't want to end up with a dead slow phone within two years.....
We have multiple Apple devices at home of which the oldest is the iPhone 7. None of them have slowed down.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 14:33   #14408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had shortlisted Apple 13 this time. I wanted to confirm from the current Apple users, especially the previous generation models, is Apple still sending updates which slow down the phone after a couple of years? I definitely don't want to end up with a dead slow phone within two years.
We are using an iPhone 8 Plus bought in January, 2018 and an 11 bought in November, 2019, both phones are working like new. I think the negative publicity regarding updates to slow down phones has shamed Apple enough to stop the ridiculous practice. Always ensure you keep your phone updated to the latest version when Apple pushes an update and you should be good.

I have used phones from Apple and Android (Samsung, One Plus - flagship models) over the years and feel no Android phone holds a candle to the sheer smoothness and polish which Apple consistently delivers over time. Have proper hands on time with the 13 at any store, if comfortable, go ahead with your purchase. I see no reason for you to be disappointed.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 24th January 2022 at 14:35.
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 22:59   #14409
BHPian

Quote:
Hello.
is Apple still sending updates which slow down the phone after a couple of years? I definitely don't want to end up with a dead slow phone within two years.

Thanks in advance.
Not at all, my 6S from 2015 which I used as my main phone till 2020, and still use as a secondary phone has never felt any slower than day 1, in fact post iOS 14 it became even faster. Apple has the longest software support of any phone (7 years in case of the 6S).

The ‘slowness’ you’re referring to is performance optimisation which apple applied to older devices to prevent unintentional shutdowns due to ageing batteries, they got a lot of bad press for it (and rightly so) and later included an option under battery health to disable it. Now if your battery is old you can chose to have it on or not under battery health.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:26   #14410
BHPian

People using iPhone 13 (6.1 Inch), what case do you use / recommend? I have previously used Spigen Tough Armor on my iPhone 6S which served me very well and when I checked price on amazon for the same case for 13, it is like 2000 Rupees.
So want to ask if anyone here has any other comparable options which are not so expensive? Also I am not really a fan of transparent cases so that is a no no.

PS: Don't have iPhone 13 yet, will be buying soon.
Old 25th January 2022, 14:01   #14411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
People using iPhone 13 (6.1 Inch), what case do you use / recommend? I have previously used Spigen Tough Armor on my iPhone 6S which served me very well and when I checked price on amazon for the same case for 13, it is like 2000 Rupees.
So want to ask if anyone here has any other comparable options which are not so expensive? Also I am not really a fan of transparent cases so that is a no no.

PS: Don't have iPhone 13 yet, will be buying soon.
I have been using the tempered glass case from popitout, it is of very good quality and fits perfectly. The fact that it has a glass back makes it very nice to hold as well, though you do compromise a bit on grip. So I am using Spigen Tempered glass on screen + this case, has worked well.

You can check the collection here.
Old 25th January 2022, 17:07   #14412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ‘slowness’ you’re referring to is performance optimisation which apple applied to older devices to prevent unintentional shutdowns due to ageing batteries, they got a lot of bad press for it (and rightly so) and later included an option under battery health to disable it. Now if your battery is old you can chose to have it on or not under battery health.
To add to this, the only phone which was almost bricked by an update (as it became too slow to use) was the 4S when the iOS 9 was rolled out for the model. That rendered the phone on the brink of being unusable...it slowed to that extent. I don't think Apple fared worse than than for any other model.

Post that, I am also holding a 6s running on iOS 15.XX and it runs perfectly fine.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:28   #14413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Going by the logic, my 4S would've been a paper weight long back I am still using it as a backup phone. In fact, the phone is still smooth as it was back then in 2012. This one issue you are facing seems like a hardware issue, might be with the antenna array. Meanwhile, have you tried a factory reset?
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 04:43   #14414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Going by the logic, my 4S would've been a paper weight long back I am still using it as a backup phone. In fact, the phone is still smooth as it was back then in 2012. This one issue you are facing seems like a hardware issue, might be with the antenna array. Meanwhile, have you tried a factory reset?
I never had any antenna issues in either my 4S or 6S when I was using them as my main phones, but mine and all other 4S’s did become paperweights the minute they were upgraded to iOS 9. The hardware couldn’t handle the software, optimisation was so poor it was almost impossible to use with the input and animation lag. If you haven’t, don’t upgrade to iOS 9.

What I’ve learnt is, once your phone crosses the 2-3 year mark, don’t be overly enthusiastic about doing major iOS upgrades, it takes 10 mins of research to fish out any major issues older devices may have with the new os as tech YouTubers are lighting quick to respond and highlight any issues.

Last edited by AJ56 : 26th January 2022 at 04:51.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 06:39   #14415
BHPian

Quote:
If you haven’t, don’t upgrade to iOS 9.
Unfortunately, back then I was one of those who used to jump at anything new. I remember the original iOS 9 slowing the phone down, however it's currently on the latest update which Apple released (iOS 9.3.6 I think) and not feeling much slowed down. On a side note, 4S was the last iPhone I absolutely "loved". It still feels premium, holding it in hand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks