Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 14:37   #15166
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Does it make sense to pay for Truecaller premium on iPhone? I was a premium user on android and I had built a huge block list over the years. But when I migrated to IOS and logged in with the same email I see that the block list is empty, although it still shows I’m a premium user. Are there any other apps for IOS?
Old 4th October 2022, 14:47   #15167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Does it make sense to pay for Truecaller premium on iPhone? I was a premium user on android and I had built a huge block list over the years. But when I migrated to IOS and logged in with the same email I see that the block list is empty, although it still shows I’m a premium user. Are there any other apps for IOS?
Im a user of truecaller premium and I find it useful. The world right now seems simply overloaded with spam sms and spam calls which are really very trying on one’s patience.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 14:51   #15168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For Croma vouchers the exchange rate is 4 points to 1 rupee.
HDFC Infinia is 2 points for 1 Re.
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:39   #15169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
HDFC Infinia is 2 points for 1 Re.
Is this a temporary festive offer or a permanent conversion rate? The reason I ask is because all these years I ve preferred to burn off points against air tickets because of the 1:1 conversion ratio. Earlier they would allow one to burn points and fully pay for tickets. Even now where they only allow 70% of the ticket price to be paid by points and the remaining 30% by card, the conversion rate of 1:1 remains and that, as per my estimation, is a massive advantage vis a vis any of the other ‘points burn’ options.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:48   #15170
BHPian

Quote:
Is this a temporary festive offer or a permanent conversion rate?
I am redeeming my points to get Croma Vouchers, which I will use in store.
2 points per Rupee seems to be standard on Infinia.I remember redeeming them 2 years back for Vijay Sales Vouchers at same rate.
I tried to buy from the smartbuyhdfc through Imagine Tresor Apple retailer and the same 70% with points and rest on card was shown,so going through the in-store route.
One could also buy Amazon Pay Vouchers, load them in your Amazon account and shop away to glory.
Flipkart has a limit of 15 vouchers per account.
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:52   #15171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I am redeeming my points to get Croma Vouchers, which I will use in store.
Thanks. I think I ll pay as normal and buy electronics products. I would prefer to burn my points at the 1:1 ratio for Travel instead. Even with the 70:30 rule.
Old 4th October 2022, 16:12   #15172
BHPian

Just for everyone’s info.
Even after 5g launch, apple needs to enable 5g with software update for iPhones. I guess other handset makers needs to do same.
While testing was going on for so long, why it was not done till now by handset makers?

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...-8188596/lite/

Last edited by Nicky : 4th October 2022 at 16:15.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 17:40   #15173
AZT
BHPian

EU approves phone charger reform, forcing Apple to adapt. The European Parliament approved new rules on Tuesday that will introduce in the European Union a single charging port for mobile phones, tablets and cameras by 2024, a world first that is expected to affect iPhone maker Apple more than its rivals.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...es-2022-10-04/
AZT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 20:58   #15174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
EU approves phone charger reform, forcing Apple to adapt.
To me it looks like they have some sort of witch hunt mounted against Apple.

All this regulation is fine, but why can’t the whole world have the same sort of power plug point pin?
Its so irritating to have to contend with the different power pin shapes and types in the US, EU, UK, Middle East, India, SEA and Australia New Zealand.
A single common type will make life so much easier!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 21:37   #15175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All this regulation is fine, but why can’t the whole world have the same sort of power plug point pin?
Its so irritating to have to contend with the different power pin shapes and types in the US, EU, UK, Middle East, India, SEA and Australia New Zealand.
A single common type will make life so much easier!
Any reasons, why you think this is a witch hunt against Apple? Why are they providing type C connector on the far end of the charging cable? What is stopping them from having same connector on other side? They have it in Mac and iPad. So this is simply a 'my way or highway' attitude. Apple fans should thank EU for such small mercies.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 00:37   #15176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Got my iPhone 14 Pro Deep Purple delivered on 1st October. Move away from my usual black/ silve choice and happy with the decision. Most of the time with indoor light it looks grey (perfect for office setting) and goes purple with more brighter light.

Coming from 11 Pro biggest difference are Camera, Screen and Audio. Just in initial use mode will post once I spend some more time with the device.
Congratulations Jaggu. Coming from a 11, I think you might find the 14 Promax is a true upgrade, isn't it? The audio is crazy loud (it's ear shattering even in my 13 Promax). Share some sample image shots whenever you get a chance.

I was also worried about the e-SIM and once I got confirmation only then decided to move to 14 Promax. But, now I am having cold feet as thinking if it's really worth the upgrade from my 13 Promax.

I'm thinking of plonking that money on something exciting that I have decided to get later this month.

Look forward to your honest review on what you like (or don't like) about the 14 Promax.

And, I am super curious to see when your battery health will drop to 99% from 100% (I am pinning this post), so do update when it happens.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th October 2022 at 00:39.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 02:08   #15177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Any reasons, why you think this is a witch hunt against Apple? Why are they providing type C connector on the far end of the charging cable? What is stopping them from having same connector on other side? They have it in Mac and iPad. So this is simply a 'my way or highway' attitude. Apple fans should thank EU for such small mercies.
My new iPad Air, which I bought a month ago or so, came with a charging cable which has USB C type at both ends. My iPhone Mini 13, which also I bought at the same time to use as my secondary communication device, came with a charging cable which has a USB C at one end (the charger block end) and a lightning connector at the other.

This charger cable is the same as those which I use for charging my iPad mini (which is my primary reading device) and my iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is my Primary communication device. My Apple Watch Series 6 has a normal USB at one end and a circular magnetic rest at the other. I believe the new Apple Watch Ultra and Series 8 have already moved to USB C at the charger end.

I am given to understand that the next change will be USB C at both ends on all iPhones and iPads. I would ideally like to carry only one type or set of cables wherever I go.

These days between the Kindle and Powerbank charger and Camera, phone and iPad and all, one literally needs to carry a whole pile of wires. And when travelling out of India, one needs that World charger pin adaptor too!

I'm only seeking the convenience of carrying one type of cable and power pin, nothing else.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th October 2022 at 06:27. Reason: Spacing.
Old 5th October 2022, 06:37   #15178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I would ideally like to carry only one type or set of cables wherever I go. These days between the Kindle and Powerbank charger and Camera, phone and iPad and all, one literally needs to carry a whole pile of wires.
Exactly for these reasons, the EU has passed this. The lightning connector serves no purpose currently.

Quote:
this regulation is fine, but why can’t the whole world have the same sort of power plug point pin?
And when travelling out of India, one needs that World charger pin adaptor too!
I'm only seeking the convenience of carrying one type of cable and power pin, nothing else.
This is not possible now. Two reasons, many countries use 220V power and others 110V.

https://news.warrington.ufl.edu/facu...-outlet-plugs/

Even if the Voltage is not a concern as on most of the electronic equipment these days, changing Pins is not possible given the limited benefits. If you have noticed, most Hotels, Planes or Public places now have multiple pin plugs to accommodate a variety, not everything but still. Besides, the EU, except for the UK and a few other countries, have a similar type of plug and so does US/ Canada.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electr...s-and-sockets/

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th October 2022 at 06:39.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:54   #15179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
When I switched from iphone 11 to samsung s22 ultra, I went to Jio store to get my eSIM moved from iphone to samsung.
Weekend and nothing close by, so did it myself and to be honest apart from the mandatory wait periods it was a very smooth process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulations Jaggu. Coming from a 11, I think you might find the 14 Promax is a true upgrade, isn't it?
Find it too big for my needs and especially fitting inside my riding jacket which is a must have requirement for me.

Quote:
The audio is crazy loud (it's ear shattering even in my 13 Promax). Share some sample image shots whenever you get a chance.
Share one for now, some soda with some led mood lighting behind. Random click without effort

The iPhone Thread-img_1661.jpg

Quote:
I was also worried about the e-SIM and once I got confirmation only then decided to move to 14 Promax. But, now I am having cold feet as thinking if it's really worth the upgrade from my 13 Promax.
I always move to two gen away, ie after 2 years. Just that 13 didn't feel much of an upgrade this time around and I decided to push it to 14.

Quote:
Look forward to your honest review on what you like (or don't like) about the 14 Promax.
Pro baba, not the max.

Quote:
And, I am super curious to see when your battery health will drop to 99% from 100% (I am pinning this post), so do update when it happens.
My 11 Pro still was at 95% when apple took it for exchange on Saturday, hopefully this one also lasts long enough. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2022 at 12:58.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 18:39   #15180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
So this is simply a 'my way or highway' attitude. Apple fans should thank EU for such small mercies.
As a long time Apple user I can safely say I can could care less about USB C, I’ve not even used my lighting port in months so I’m in fact in favour of a completely portless iPhone (Apple’s dream) as I charge and sync with iTunes wirelessly.

What does irritate me is the lack of data transfer speeds, Apple already has lighting ports with much faster data transfer speeds but it’s yet to be seen on iPhone. Specially with pro res and RAW files which require at least USB 3 speeds to be practical enough for those wanting to move large files quickly. Either that or make Airdrop much faster, I’m fine either way.

As for mandatory anything regarding design, I don’t believe a government should be in the business of telling a private company how it may or may not design its devices, I find it borderline Orwellian.

Under the excuse of environmentalism a lot of mandates can be justified, next they’ll tell companies to sell phones in only one colour, after all that will greatly simplify inventory management and shipping and therefore reduce consumption of resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
iPhone 13 and ex-6S user here.

Now I wonder how the Plus and Max users live with their iPhones.
I too went from a 6S to the pro max iPhones (12 and later 13), I love the 6.7” screen size, its just right for my hand size, not too big, not too small. I have no issue using it one handed but I get what you’re saying it depends on your hand size, the 6.1” is better for some folks but for me it’s too small.

Last edited by AJ56 : 5th October 2022 at 18:52.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks