Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 00:23   #15286
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
What is the general consensus here around buying Apple Care Plus. Do you buy it or just make do with a good screen and back protector? How is the durability of the phones?

For the iPhone 14 Pro, it's a whopping 28.9k for 2 years. Ofcourse it's like insurance and you wish you never have to use it, but any ideas around the experience and honor of claims etc.?
I had bought AppleCare for AirPods and it went long way in multiple replacements of airbuds. Experience is based off US location and I believe that should be same across geographies.
bhardwhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 01:53   #15287
BHPian

Quote:
What is the general consensus here around buying Apple Care Plus. Do you buy it or just make do with a good screen and back protector? How is the durability of the phones?
Strongly recommend you don’t buy, I’ve never bothered with it (or cases or screen protectors) since they ruin the feel for me. But I’m careful with my phones, haven’t dropped any in years.

Plus with iPhone 12 and newer you get Ceramic Shield on the front glass and I’ve personally seen my mums 12 mini get dropped multiple times on hard floor with and without a protector and all glass is still intact, it just has a lot of scratches and dents. For reference her earlier iPhone 7 needed the front replaced multiple times over a few years of use.

Keep in mind you still pay despite apple care+, you pay 2500 for the screen replacement (one side), so you’ll pay 5000 in case both are cracked. This is on top of your 28,900, I’d say invest the 32k in your preferred investment vehicle and forget about it. Double it every two years (as apple care+ is for 2 years) in a few years it’ll fund your next iPhone.

I will also add that it’s nothing like insurance, no insurance costs 25% of the assets entire value

Last edited by AJ56 : 30th October 2022 at 02:02.
AJ56 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 07:02   #15288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

For the iPhone 14 Pro, it's a whopping 28.9k for 2 years. Ofcourse it's like insurance and you wish you never have to use it, but any ideas around the experience and honor of claims etc.?
If you have AppleCare, service requests/replacements are always hassle-free, but as you said, it is super expensive to buy. I bought AppleCare for my AirPods Pro and got replacements twice during the duration of Apple Care. For phones, I normally don’t take it as I change the device every 12-18 months, and normally any germlines are visible in the first couple of months of ownership – which anyway entitles to free service/replacement.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 20:15   #15289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And all of them are performing well and behaving perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am on 16.1 (on 14 Pro) and have noticed any issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
IPhone 13.
Updated the moment update was available.
No issues and excellent battery life so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I don’t see any issues either in my iPhone 13 or my wife’s 12 mini
Thanks for your inputs guys !

Updated my iPhone 12 Pro (currently at 85% battery health) and it’s been over 36 hours and the update is holding up really well. Most importantly, the battery performance is great and infact better than what it was on the earlier 15.4.1 iOS. I feel that the RAM management too has improved here as the apps don’t reload that frequently now.

These are some of the prominent improvements seen apart from what the iOS 16 brings in general. Anyway, I hope it stays that way or rather improves further.

For anyone still sitting on the fence, I would suggest to just update your compatible iPhones to 16.1.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 31st October 2022 at 20:16.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:51   #15290
Senior - BHPian

So, I subscribed to icloud. I had money in the apple wallet so it was deducted from it. However, I just want to know how will the money get deducted next time as there is no balance in the wallet now and I haven't given any card details as well.
Old 1st November 2022, 13:03   #15291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
So, I subscribed to icloud. I had money in the apple wallet so it was deducted from it. However, I just want to know how will the money get deducted next time as there is no balance in the wallet now and I haven't given any card details as well.
Your subscription will continue, and you will get an email from Apple asking to fix the payment. Apple allows a few days of grace period if the payment doesn't go through. You'll then have to load your Apple ID.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 13:05   #15292
BHPian

A really noob question. Some pages are not opening properly in iOS be it in Safari or Chrome. For example even the teambhp homepage is having a problem with the sliding threads. In some websites, text is not appearing normally. Is there any settings to change. I'm on 16.0.2 now.
Old 1st November 2022, 13:58   #15293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
A really noob question. Some pages are not opening properly in iOS be it in Safari or Chrome. For example even the teambhp homepage is having a problem with the sliding threads. In some websites, text is not appearing normally. Is there any settings to change. I'm on 16.0.2 now.
Kindly update your iPhone to 16.1. The earlier iterations have been quite buggy and causing multiple issues especially for older iPhones.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 16:08   #15294
BHPian

hi Guys,

I am facing some issues with the messages app in my 3.5 years old iPhone XR. I updated the iOS to 16.1 also.
Whenever I open the messages app, I can see messages but I am unable to scroll or open any message. I rebooted phone, cleared quite a lot songs / pics and closed apps, etc.
I want to check if anyone is facing same issue, before I reset the phone to factory defaults, which I do not want to do !
Old 1st November 2022, 22:04   #15295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
hi Guys,

I am facing some issues with the messages app in my 3.5 years old iPhone XR. I updated the iOS to 16.1 also.
Whenever I open the messages app, I can see messages but I am unable to scroll or open any message. I rebooted phone, cleared quite a lot songs / pics and closed apps, etc.
I want to check if anyone is facing same issue, before I reset the phone to factory defaults, which I do not want to do !
Please go to Settings then messages, and change " Keep message forever to 1 year. It should start working.
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:25   #15296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Can anyone suggest best and trusted app to move Whatsapp with messages from Android to iPhone?
I recently picked up an iPhone 14 Pro Max for my wife. I used the Move to iOS app. However since my eSIM was not ready I went ahead and set up the phone without transferring the WhatsApp chats. Move to iOS however did not transfer the Pictures and Videos. Once I got the eSims installed, I realised that there was no way to transfer the WhatsApp chats without resetting the phone. This is a real pain. Then a friend who was having the same problem went ahed and reset his phone and tried Move to iOS. It failed to transfer the chats. He did it thrice.
Another problem I am having is setting up WhatApp. WhatsApp Business got set up easily on the secondary number. However setting up the main number is proving to be a real pain. I decided to go ahead and not restore old chats. However I am not getting the OTP for the process. SMS is active on the number. Tried it twice with no luck. Besides every time I try to set up it ask me to wait for 11 hours before trying again. Why does Apple have to make everything so difficult? I know the fanboys will jump and say "It's for security". How doe making the process of setting up WhatsApp virtually impossible enhance security. Now my wife does not want to use the phone. Problem is I have converted her Airtel Sim (Secondary) to eSIM and her BSNL (Primary) number has been ported to Jio and converted to eSIM. This will mean converting back to physical sims. Also I will have to wait a while to change Jio back to BSNL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Folks, any idea where I can get a holster for IP12mini? Any pointers please? Thanks in advance...
I got mine from Amazon.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 10:37   #15297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
However I am not getting the OTP for the process. SMS is active on the number. Tried it twice with no luck. Besides every time I try to set up it ask me to wait for 11 hours before trying again. Why does Apple have to make everything so difficult?
I had faced something like this while setting up mine. I have a number where I don't have SMS access, but I can receive calls via call forwarding. But somehow the call wasn't coming. And due to the 11 hour thingy, I had to wait half a day to try again. I eventually gave up and decided to keep using it in my old phone. But then one night, while fighting insomnia, I casually tried again and immediately the call came. And I don't think its an Apple thing, I think the restriction is from WhatsApp (although I might be wrong about that).
Old 2nd November 2022, 13:43   #15298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I had faced something like this while setting up mine. I have a number where I don't have SMS access, but I can receive calls via call forwarding. But somehow the call wasn't coming. And due to the 11 hour thingy, I had to wait half a day to try again. I eventually gave up and decided to keep using it in my old phone. But then one night, while fighting insomnia, I casually tried again and immediately the call came. And I don't think its an Apple thing, I think the restriction is from WhatsApp (although I might be wrong about that).
Well even though it said to try after 11 hours, I just tried again and the c
"Call me" option showed up. Clicked on that and surprise surprise I got the call and managed to set up WhatsApp. Only thing is I have lost all old chats. But I had already exported the important ones and sent them to my wife's email. So its sorted now. Only PayTM is still pending. Once I sort that out the migration is complete.
Old 2nd November 2022, 18:38   #15299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Please go to Settings then messages, and change " Keep message forever to 1 year. It should start working.
Yeah, tried that too, nothing is working.
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:24   #15300
BHPian

Quote:
What is the general consensus here around buying Apple Care Plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I had bought AppleCare for AirPods and it went long way in multiple replacements of airbuds. Experience is based off US location and I believe that should be same across geographies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Strongly recommend you don’t buy, I’ve never bothered with it (or cases or screen protectors) since they ruin the feel for me. But I’m careful with my phones, haven’t dropped any in years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you have AppleCare, service requests/replacements are always hassle-free, but as you said, it is super expensive to buy.
Not sure how many this will apply to, but if you have a US or UK billing address and credit card, then there is an option to get Apple Care+ on a monthly paid basis. Works out to approx 1000INR a month for damage, theft and loss protection which is way more palatable than a huge upfront cost of almost 30K. And yes their policy documents says it applies worldwide:

Quote:
Where am I covered?
✓If you purchase cover on your iPhone you are protected by the AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss policy worldwide.
✓If you seek to make a claim in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will need to comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations, and you will be responsible for all customs duties, value added tax and other associated taxes and charges that may apply. For theft and loss coverage, delivery of a replacement iPhone may be limited to the country in which You purchased the policy.
Purchased this directly through settings on my 14 Pro Max, can cancel anytime no questions asked. Remains to be seen how easy it is to claim in India but I travel a lot and so don't foresee any problems in case the dreaded does happen as I will just claim in the UK or EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Your subscription will continue, and you will get an email from Apple asking to fix the payment. Apple allows a few days of grace period if the payment doesn't go through. You'll then have to load your Apple ID.
I notice that you can't add any Indian credit cards to your Apple account anymore? Only UPI and netbanking?

Has anyone been able to add an Indian credit card to GPay? I had it on Android but just don't see the option on the iOS app anymore? Also can you add Indian cards to the Apple Wallet too? When adding my ICICI Amazon card says it says not supported yet.

Edit: Adding cards to GPay is only available on Android (Google Pay FAQ):

Quote:
I can't find the Add card option on Google Pay?
This feature is currently available for Android devices only. If you are not able to the see this option, we suggest you to update the Google Pay app to the latest version.

Last edited by s4ch : 3rd November 2022 at 11:31.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed