Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 23:23   #14566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, I am planning to upgrade from my iPhone XR 128 GB to iPhone 13 pro max and I will be getting it from US. My dilemma is whether I should get 512 GB or 256 GB version. The price difference between the two is around 15k and my current phone’s storage is 120 GB occupied out of the 128 GB available. I use my phone mainly for entertainment consumption, browsing and clicking photos and videos.
With photos and videos getting uploaded on my One drive 1 TB plan daily, I rarely feel the need for more capacity. My 128 Gb Iphone 13 pro serves the purpose well, get the 256 GB and invest 15K in a good Cloud storage plan, you will always have them safe too that way.
Old 14th March 2022, 00:05   #14567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Contrary to the popular opinion, I would suggest going with the 13 Pro Max 256 GB model; should be more than sufficient for your requirements.
I second that. I’m using the 13 Pro Max 256gb, Sierra Blue and it’s more than enough. The camera quality, the screen clarity with a bigger phone is just next level.

Cheers
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 17:07   #14568
BHPian

Not sure if this is true, but if IT is, this would mark a key change in Apple's year on year device upgrades -

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/13/2...o-apple-rumors

This also means that Apple is now actually looking at more monetisation from older hardware apart from the "SE" brand which was putting new internals in old body. It is also looking at putting "a year old processor and internals" in new body and selling for good margin.
Old 14th March 2022, 18:40   #14569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
This also means that Apple is now actually looking at more monetisation from older hardware apart from the "SE" brand which was putting new internals in old body. It is also looking at putting "a year old processor and internals" in new body and selling for good margin.
I like this move. That could make the non-pro iPhones cheaper. Last year's chip is good enough for the regular iPhones.

SE, is just the opposite of that. That is their latest chip in an age old chassis. I don't think anybody in a sane state of mind would touch the SE 2022.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 19:23   #14570
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this is true, but if IT is, this would mark a key change in Apple's year on year device upgrades -

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/13/2...o-apple-rumors
On the contrary, I think they might do this (highly unlikely still) because of the ongoing chip shortage/ semiconductor crisis. With the new 'M' series processors, they require a lot of chips to support their production and may be forced to scale back to meet demand.
Old 14th March 2022, 19:31   #14571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I like this move. That could make the non-pro iPhones cheaper.
This will never happen. Apple will try to charge exact same or more for the iPhone 14 as 13 and no change they will decrease price. In fact they may increase price of 14 pro / pro max giving you illusion of 14 being cheaper relative to pro price.

Even today they are selling the iPhone SE 2022 which is same chassis as the iPhone 8 and even increased prices.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 02:20   #14572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
This will never happen. Apple will try to charge exact same or more for the iPhone 14 as 13 and no change they will decrease price. In fact they may increase price of 14 pro / pro max giving you illusion of 14 being cheaper relative to pro price.

Even today they are selling the iPhone SE 2022 which is same chassis as the iPhone 8 and even increased prices.
Well about time they raised prices on the 14 series if they are to keep up with inflation, they’ve not raised prices for over 5 years now from iPhone X back in 2017 at $999 all the way to the 13 pro in 2021 still selling for $999, effectively making it cheaper in inflation adjusted terms.

Changing SE chassis will mean cannibalising iPhone 11 and 12 sales as there won’t be enough differentiation left, specially with the SE running the latest A15 chipset and the other two running older chips, will be a poor business move.
Old 16th March 2022, 18:54   #14573
Team-BHP Support

Finally that massive update - iOS 15.4 is 1GB+, and at last Face ID works with mask on (iPhone 12 and above).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 03:50   #14574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Finally that massive update - iOS 15.4 is 1GB+, and at last Face ID works with mask on (iPhone 12 and above).
Not sure why the update is only limited to iphone 12 series and beyond. I am assuming that all iphones with face id have similar hardware and there has been no change there. Hence, logically all Iphones which have face ID and are eligible for ios 15.4 updates, should get this feature.

Regarding the update itself, while it brings a number of bug fixes and small tweaks; apart from Face ID working with masks now, there seems to be no other feature here. This has been story of ios 15 in general. Hope ios 16 brings in some changes in UI and freshens up the interface.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 09:04   #14575
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure why the update is only limited to iphone 12 series and beyond. I am assuming that all iphones with face id have similar hardware and there has been no change there. Hence, logically all Iphones which have face ID and are eligible for ios 15.4 updates, should get this feature.
Hi,
I think it has something to do with the processor limitation. I read somewhere that the extra processing and data required for this feature would not be able to be optimised for the A13 chip and older.

That said, they could have done this to push some people on the fence to upgrade . Just apple things.

Last edited by Shiftlock : 17th March 2022 at 09:06. Reason: Factual correction
Shiftlock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 09:46   #14576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just did the update on my work phone (XR), and it’s confirmed that the face id with mask option doesn’t work on that. The update snapshot also mention that it works only on iPhone 12 and above.

The iPhone Thread-img_f9feba2335481.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup
Regarding the update itself, while it brings a number of bug fixes and small tweaks; apart from Face ID working with masks now, there seems to be no other feature here.
Still, it’s a big one IMO; clears up one big hassle of passcode unlocking. I am surprised that Apple took so long to bring this in.
Old 17th March 2022, 13:42   #14577
Distinguished - BHPian

So no new features in this update except face (with) mask unlocking?
Old 17th March 2022, 13:54   #14578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, I am planning to upgrade from my iPhone XR 128 GB to iPhone 13 pro max and I will be getting it from US. My dilemma is whether I should get 512 GB or 256 GB version. The price difference between the two is around 15k and my current phone’s storage is 120 GB occupied out of the 128 GB available. I use my phone mainly for entertainment consumption, browsing and clicking photos and videos.
If you have a good cloud storage in place - iCloud/Google Drive etc (I am personally using Google Drive - cheaper than iCloud), the storage doesn't matter that much. 128 or 256 should be enough. I got my 13 Pro Max 128 gb recently.

I was also contemplating waiting for 14 but can't see any major upgrades coming apart from design :
  • Notch will be replaced by a double pill (horizontal ! ) design but that is not that big of a change for me
  • A16 instead of A15 bionic chip but for 99.9% of the usage A15 is good enough
  • Other mildly likely changes are camera upgrade and fingerprint scanner but with the Face ID now working with mask on I don't need fingerprint and the cameras are already best in class
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 21:18   #14579
BHPian

hey,

Please suggest a good daily task tracker application available on iPhone. Looking for basic functionality like , task reminder, task completion etc.
Old 21st March 2022, 22:54   #14580

I would suggest the native iOS Reminders application if you are only using iOS device

If you happen to use both iOS and Android devices, I would then suggest Tick Tick application.

Both the application are also accessible via web interface, much easier to work when you need to input multiple reminders or make a to-do list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks