Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 22:47   #14611
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I am currently using a OnePlus 6 with dual sim and will be getting a iPhone 13 next month.How is the experience/review of using esim in an iPhone? I have heard that call drops are more with esim.Is that true? I searched the thread for a review of esim use in iPhone but did not find any relevant information.Will the dual sim experience be similar to an Android phone?
Old 6th April 2022, 22:57   #14612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
I am currently using a OnePlus 6 with dual sim and will be getting a iPhone 13 next month.How is the experience/review of using esim in an iPhone? I have heard that call drops are more with esim.Is that true? I searched the thread for a review of esim use in iPhone but did not find any relevant information.Will the dual sim experience be similar to an Android phone?
I have done the same exact transfer in January. Had an OP6 and now using an iphone 13. The esim registration is quite a simple process and the esim works just like a normal sim. There are however some drawbacks like in OP6, there used to be an option to select a sim for calling each time which does not exist in the Iphone. You can select a certain sim for individual contacts, but cannot choose each time. This is one of the major drawbacks that i have faced in the transition.
AB10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 13:26   #14613
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Battery health of my iPhone 11 is 89% now! Started using the phone in November,2020. Battery health was 97% back in August,2021. Quite a dramatic drop.Maybe the latest software update has something to do with it. Anyways, no point worrying too much about it as everyone advised here.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 14:00   #14614
Distinguished - BHPian

My IP13 Pro turns 4 months old in a few days. Battery cycle count is 38. I normally maintain the battery within the 40-80% band the sweet spot for Li ion power packs.
Attached Images

R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 11:09   #14615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Check out Croma, they often have additional in-store discount! Also, I'm Delhi based and prefer getting all Apple  devices from Imagine, as they often have good deals/offer freebies - power bank/wireless charger/further discount.
I got this from amazon 2 weeks back with the 128 GB at 73,900. I got another 6000 instant off from SBI card as well. I got it with an exchange of LG G8X (9000 offered).
Old 8th April 2022, 21:58   #14616
BHPian

I have a spare iPhone (Xs) and was just thinking, if it would be a good idea to use it as a dashcam; and so, now looking for apps which can help me with the same. (Please Suggest)
Also, with Delhi temperatures reaching ~40°C, just thinking - will placing the phone under direct sunlight make it heat by a lot?

I know that it isn't the most efficient option, but was just planning to record some occasional drives.
Old 8th April 2022, 22:39   #14617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know that it isn't the most efficient option, but was just planning to record some occasional drives.
Leaving it mounted visibly is a security risk, both temperature and vandalism. So you'd need to mount/dismount it every time you use it.

Usability perspective, are there any phone mounts (dash or windscreen) that are shake-free, comparable to dashcam mounts? If no, you'd just end up with shaky footage. There's only so much on-device stabilization gimmickry can do to compensate.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th April 2022 at 22:40.
Old 8th April 2022, 22:42   #14618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Leaving it mounted visibly is a security risk, both temperature and vandalism. So you'd need to mount/dismount it every time you use it.

Usability perspective, are there any phone mounts (dash or windscreen) that are shake-free, comparable to dashcam mounts? If no, You'd just end up with shaky footage. There's only so much on-device stabilization gimmickry can do to compensate.
Yes so just wanted to use for some occasional drives. I am totally ok with mounting/dismounting it again and again.
Correct, stabilization will be a real problem.
Old 8th April 2022, 23:50   #14619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes so just wanted to use for some occasional drives. I am totally ok with mounting/dismounting it again and again.
Correct, stabilization will be a real problem.
The iphone does a wonderful job in stabilization of most disturbances, especially in video. But if you ever leave an iPhone XS and head out locking the car, either it will not withstand the heat or before that get stolen with a broken glass or two. But for the occasional drives, it will definitely work except for getting hot over continuous video recording and also occupying a lot of space which you have to manually clear out of the memory.

My advice is instead of such jugaad solutions, just get an entry level dashcam like the DDPAI Mini or so and just have it in your car all the time. The footage quality of these cameras are quite decent enough to keep as memories or to help you out in those unexpected events. Forget this phone idea which only looks good as an idea.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 08:11   #14620
Oxy
BHPian

Guys, realistically how much should I pay for a 6 month used iPhone 12 (128gb variant)? It's apparently in great condition.

Someone snagged it for 52k on the Flipkart big billion sale last October and wants to sell it now.
Old 11th April 2022, 09:54   #14621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Guys, realistically how much should I pay for a 6 month used iPhone 12 (128gb variant)? It's apparently in great condition.

Someone snagged it for 52k on the Flipkart big billion sale last October and wants to sell it now.
I got mine for 49k in the first few days of the sale. On how much you should pay depends on you honestly. 6 months of use you could probably get them down to 42-43k with hard bargaining. But check that it doesn’t have any screen defects like green tint. The 12 series is known for that.
nithin5497 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 13:46   #14622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Even something like 40K is massive for a used previous generation phone. Go for it if you really want an iPhone and don’t want to spend big on a brand new one. Do check the battery health; if its from last October, at least 95% should be there for a sparingly used phone.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 16:14   #14623
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even something like 40K is massive for a used previous generation phone. Go for it if you really want an iPhone and don’t want to spend big on a brand new one. Do check the battery health; if its from last October, at least 95% should be there for a sparingly used phone.
Dropped the idea. Realised that 40k is a massive amount to spend on a second hand phone, and I have never used an iPhone before.

Would much rather buy a Chinese Android flagship.

Thanks a ton for this post though, helped me avoid a stupidity.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 17:09   #14624
Senior - BHPian

Apple begins iPhone 13 production in India

The iPhone Thread-20220411_170924.jpg

Quote:
Foxconn's Sriperumbudur plant in India is now making the iPhone 13, further diversifying Apple's supply chain and avoiding dependence on China.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 22:24   #14625
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestion.
We have been Android users all our life.
I don't see myself getting an iPhone because of Truecaller issue and no call recording feature, both of which i am quite use to of in my Samsung.

However, Wife is now interested in getting the iPhone 13.
Her primary usage is WhatsApp, calls and multimedia. Decent battery life and good camera is a priority.
Should we buy it?

iPhone mini, 13 pro and 13 pro Max aren't in contention cos of various reasons.

Also, as iPhone 13 made in india has started today, can we expect a price cut soon?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed