Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 11:03   #15631
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
In contrast, my wife’s iphone 13 pro max is so much better. Its 1.5 years old and its still at some 96% battery life inspite of heavy media usage. And once charged, it holds up really well. Im sure its because of its bigger battery, but i can never think of owning a phone of that size for day to day usage.
There are a few things to note here.

- The 13 series batteries were much improved than the 12's. The 12 series had kinda weaker batteries. This is a know fact; 12 Pro series included.
- Since the 13 series had better and improved batteries, the best of the lot was the 13 Pro Max. Hence, comparing your vanilla 12 to the best of the 13 series wouldn't be just.
- As a matter of fact , my Jan 2021 12 Pro is at 85% battery health and I barely get 5-6 hours of SOT. This is with normal usage of WA, Insta, Safari, and a few calls, etc. I have to necessarily charge it at least twice in the day.
- Changing the battery will only add a few (1-2 hours max) to the SOT or battery charge. Apart from this, the phone may feel a little swift in opening / closing apps as a newer battery it helps to reduce throttling.
- Changing the battery will only add another year or half to your phone's life until it reverts back to what it was before the change. I have had this experience with my iPhone 7.

My suggestion would be, hold onto to your phone AS IS for now. Let the battery deplete under 80% and stretch it to the max as much as you can and then switch over to the newer iPhone of your choice.

Else, you can change the battery now for this phone ONLY IF you will be retaining this one as a secondary phone (maybe) when you purchase a new on in a year or so.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:50   #15632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My iPhone 13 Promax is 19-months old and is at 88% battery.

I still get amazing battery life for a full charge despite heavy usage and more on-screen time than you.

For a full charge, I get around 20-22 hours easily and I normally plug it back on when it drops below 20%.
Mine is the same age as yours, with more battery health (92%), if I do light tasks like reading or email or simple safari browsing with auto brightness turned on and 5G turned off, I too will get similar screen on times as you do. But the way I use my phone I’m lucky to get even 7 hrs out of it.

You can see multiple battery stress tests on YouTube showing exactly this phenomenon. All comes down to what you do with the phone. Camera, LIDAR (used to focus in camera), max brightness, 3D gaming/simulators, 5G and GPS are all heavy drainers of battery, on any iPhone I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
I did read this thread about checking the number of charging cycles and was curious to see how many cycles phone has completed in last one month. I have enabled share iphone analytics option too but i am unable to see the log aggregated file at all!
With iOS 16 onwards they changed it, you no longer get any log aggregate files, instead you get Analytics files inside which you can use a shortcut to get the actual battery health and cycle count as well as nominal capacity, see this video-

Use this shortcut inside Analytics Data under Privacy settings-

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/87c...9b63de4ae5ad5a

Regarding charging to 100%, no you don’t need to for the file to be generated. In fact avoid taking any lithium battery to 100% unnecessarily as it ages it faster, sweet spot is 25-80% SOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
There are a few things to note here.

- The 13 series batteries were much improved than the 12's. The 12 series had kinda weaker batteries. This is a know fact; 12 Pro series included.
Spot on, 12 series had crap cells used throughout the lineup. My 12 Pro Max hit 81% after 402 cycles, whereas my 13 Pro
Max was still at 93% after the same 402 cycles.

12 series also had severe overheating issues, which still persist on the 13 and 14’s but have improved significantly since then.

Last edited by AJ56 : 11th May 2023 at 14:06.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 11:06   #15633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Use this shortcut inside Analytics Data under Privacy settings-

Spot on, 12 series had crap cells used throughout the lineup. My 12 Pro Max hit 81% after 402 cycles, whereas my 13 Pro
Max was still at 93% after the same 402 cycles.
Well, I'm not quite sure if this shortcut is using the correct algorithm to determine the charge / capacity of the iPhone battery.

Here is what I got on my 2+ year old iPhone 12 Pro, and I find it too good to be true. 804 cycles and 81% battery health??

The iPhone Thread-img_7045.jpg
Old 12th May 2023, 11:40   #15634
Distinguished - BHPian

Might move on to an iPhone next, mainly because the SE seems to be the only phone from a major manufacturer that comes in a small size. I'm really fed up of all these large screen phones, I want something that fits comfortably in my pocket when I'm riding my bike!

So some absolutely basic questions from someone who's never used an iPhone before:

*Is google maps supported?
*What's the battery life like, coming from a Samsung user who gets a whole day easily on one charge, quite often two. (I hardly watch anything on my phone and all my calls are under 5-10 minutes. Very little camera usage too.)
*Any other small phones (from these manufacturers - Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Sony (no Oppos, Redmis, Xiaomis, Asus, One Pluses, or Googles for me please)) that I might have missed?

(Thanks in advance for any replies!)

Last edited by am1m : 12th May 2023 at 11:41.
Old 12th May 2023, 11:58   #15635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Well, I'm not quite sure if this shortcut is using the correct algorithm to determine the charge / capacity of the iPhone battery.

Here is what I got on my 2+ year old iPhone 12 Pro, and I find it too good to be true. 804 cycles and 81% battery health??
Yes it is correct, watch the video I linked above, they explain how it’s calculated. I got the shortcut from the video description.

In short, your iPhone OS uses your iPhone battery’s rated capacity to calculate the health by comparing the measured nominal capacity with it. In my case, the rated capacity for the 13 pro max is 4352 mah.

However, in reality every iPhone ships with a slightly higher battery capacity than what’s rated, this is called Max FCC, in my case it’s 4522 mah. In other words my phone shipped with 104% of its rated capacity. This number will vary slightly for every device.

Now calculating battery health using Max FCC with the measured nominal capacity will yield a slightly lower number. In my case, my indicated battery health is 92% in settings but in reality, using the actual capacity it shipped with, it’s 89%.

Your 12 pro is spot on, my mums 12 mini has 850 cycles and is at 80% health.

Here’s a screenshot of my numbers-
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_4171.png  

The iPhone Thread-img_4172.png  

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th May 2023 at 12:00.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 11:59   #15636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Might move on to an iPhone next, mainly because the SE seems to be the only phone from a major manufacturer that comes in a small size. I'm really fed up of all these large screen phones, I want something that fits comfortably in my pocket when I'm riding my bike!

So some absolutely basic questions from someone who's never used an iPhone before:

*What's the battery life like, coming from a Samsung user who gets a whole day easily on one charge, quite often two. (I hardly watch anything on my phone and all my calls are under 5-10 minutes. Very little camera usage too.)
*Any other small phones (from these manufacturers - Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Sony (no Oppos, Redmis, Xiaomis, Asus, One Pluses, or Googles for me please)) that I might have missed?

If you have the budget, you should get the 12/13 mini at least. The SE is really outdated at this time.

To answer your other Qs.

Google Maps is supported.
The 12's battery life is bad but should be better than the SE. 13 has a bigger battery.
Apart from the Asus Zenfone 8/9, I don't think you have missed any. And the Zenfone, although compact is a tad heavy. Also the Moto Edge 30 is quite lightweight but not very compact.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:48   #15637
BHPian

Quote:

Google maps is supported but it is not as well integrated as on android because Apple forces to open all links on Apple Maps. I am not sure if you can set a default app (someone can correct me on this) as Apple seldom gives such flexibility.

Why not the S23? It is 6.1inch, compact, fast, good battery life and you are used to an android, more so to Samsung's UI.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 12th May 2023 at 12:49. Reason: typo
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:50   #15638
BHPian

Hi,

I am pretty happy with my iPhone XR battery which I had purchased in Aug’19. Though the battery has degraded to ~77% but still I get decent battery life of around 16-18 hours. My usage is very casual like SM surfing, YouTube- insta shorts surfing, calls, etc. with screen time of around 5.5hrs. I haven’t done anything out of the normal maybe just lucky to get a good battery chemistry.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_7476.png  

The iPhone Thread-img_7477.png  

rahulk2510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:42   #15639
BHPian

Quote:
Might move on to an iPhone next,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
If you have the budget, you should get the 12/13 mini at least. The SE is really outdated at this time.
I second that, go for the 13 Mini( 12 Mini has a poor battery life) instead of SE. Availability of 13 Mini is an issue with retailers and you may have to buy directly from Apple website foregoing all Exchange offers and card discounts on offer these days.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 13:50   #15640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Why not the S23? It is 6.1inch, compact,
Would have loved to stick with Android/Samsung, but all their phones are too big for me to carry around comfortably. The S23 also seems very big, unless I'm missing something. Primary requirement is a small smartphone, Apple seems to be only one making those anymore.

Thanks all for the suggestion to go with the Mini instead.
Old 12th May 2023, 14:15   #15641
BHPian

Quote:
This is the same thing I told myself 3 years back, and got myself an iPhone SE2020. After nearly 2 years and 6 months of using it, here is my feedback.

1. Battery life: absolutely no comparison to any androids that I have used before. I am a fairly light user, I have a MacBook and an iPad for all browsing and reading. The battery health is at 81% now, it cannot survive 24 hours on a single charge. I disconnected the charger today at 9am with 97% charge, I have 78% battery left at 2pm. Screen on time somehow is being shown as 57min today.
2. Camera is very average by present day standards.
3. I like Touch ID way better than Face ID , but in my experience with my wife's 12 mini I think I can get used to Face ID very fast.
4. absolutely no complaints like hanging or overheating or display issues. The phone has suffered few decent falls without any damage.
5. Really love the software and the iCloud experience. I don't think I will go back to android ever.

Ps: I guess my battery status in part may be related to the dual sim usage.

my suggestion: Please consider 13 mini if you can afford. It is way better in every aspect and is still very compact. I will probably upgrade to 13mini soon.
Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 10:39   #15642
BHPian

Iphone 13 Pro does not connect to 5G

My iPhone refuses to connect to 5G for the last month or so. I am on Jio and have a 5G plan enabled. Even with the network settings toggled to '5G On', it continues to be on LTE.
I am not a very techy person and can't figure this out for my life.

Interestingly, this bug has been there ever since an update which removed the 5G standalone option.

Any help will be much appreciated.

The iPhone Thread-img7442.png
Old 17th May 2023, 10:09   #15643
Senior - BHPian

I am having a problem with Google Maps on Carplay. Shows only a black screen even after me killing and reopening the app. Am seeing this behavior only after 16.4.1
Old 19th May 2023, 20:25   #15644
BHPian

Question:

Backup of my iPhone to iCloud had been paused for a few weeks now with an error saying that there is not enough storage left in iCloud. My iCloud storage had 10GB out of 50GB remaining, yet I decided to purge photos because I anyway have a backup to Google Photos. Now I have cleared about 20GB more and it now shows that it has 30GB out of 50GB remaining. Still the phone refuses to backup to iCloud and gives me the same error - that there is not enough storage remaining. Any idea what is wrong?

Last edited by dragonfire : 19th May 2023 at 20:49. Reason: Modified the earlier question to address the root problem
Old 25th May 2023, 14:23   #15645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I am having a problem with Google Maps on Carplay. Shows only a black screen even after me killing and reopening the app. Am seeing this behavior only after 16.4.1
Yes, I have seen this behaviour too. My guess is this is happening when the phone is connect and and app update happens, the screen goes to blank.

Please try the below steps

- Connect and reconnect to Carplay
- Force close the app in phone and Restart your device
- uninstall and reinstall Google maps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks