Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 15:34   #631
Senior - BHPian

The craze and hype for iphone is such that it will sell. No matter in HTC is better or some other competitor comes with a better product. Those don't have "cool" and "drool" factor associated with it.

srijit you are right. The amount to be paid if you cancel the contract after 30 days is 175$+40$ if I'm right.

Lets wait and watch.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:05   #632
Senior - BHPian

This iPhone will be launched simultaneously by Vodafone, Airtel and Reliance. Vodafone gets the first right to introduce the iPhone to India.
Moreover, the prices floating around in the market are all rumours as stated above.
Vodafone and Airtel have some serious competition from Reliance, who would price it about 10-12% lower to attain maximum market value.
Its gonna be a war - starting September, with all the Ads & Value Schemes.
Hope the customers gets the final advantage.

X
Old 26th June 2008, 16:13   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
This iPhone will be launched simultaneously by Vodafone, Airtel and Reliance. Vodafone gets the first right to introduce the iPhone to India.
Moreover, the prices floating around in the market are all rumours as stated above.
Vodafone and Airtel have some serious competition from Reliance, who would price it about 10-12% lower to attain maximum market value.
Its gonna be a war - starting September, with all the Ads & Value Schemes.
Hope the customers gets the final advantage.

X
How will the iPhone work on Reliance network? I thought it was just a GSM phone.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:18   #634
BHPian

Reliance GSM may get launched by then ;-)
Old 26th June 2008, 16:20   #635
Senior - BHPian

No, I think Reliance will just sell the phone from their Apple Stores. Possibly they might have access to a CDMA version too. Who knows ?

But this entire iphone thing is way too overhyped.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:24   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
No, I think Reliance will just sell the phone from their Apple Stores. Possibly they might have access to a CDMA version too. Who knows ?

But this entire iphone thing is way too overhyped.
There is no CDMA version. Reliance is actively looking to enter the GSM market since CDMA(mostly due to utilitarian phones) is considered low end market.
If they offer same rates in GSM field, its going to be bad news for others.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:26   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How will the iPhone work on Reliance network? I thought it was just a GSM phone.
Thats coz Reliance is launching thier GSM services by October this year. Moreover, Apple does not plan to introduce CDMA iPhone for the next 5 years.

X
Old 26th June 2008, 17:48   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Reliance is actively looking to enter the GSM market since CDMA(mostly due to utilitarian phones) is considered low end market.
This is partially true - there is a perception factor in India that the CDMA phones are meant for autorickshaw drivers and raddiwallahs, but then Reliance themselves are responsible for this perception. It is no fault of the technology.

More than this, Reliance would want to jump onto the GSM bandwagon because:
1. They're paying a fairly hefty royalty PER SUBSCRIBER PER YEAR to Qualcomm for CDMA usage. When you consider the number of subscribers they have, this is a huge amount, working out to a few hundred million dollars.
2. CDMA doesnt fit into their expansion plans. If, for instance, they merge with MTN, the merged entity will not benefit from economies of scale because of two different technologies. And there arent many CDMA operators around for them to acquire anyway.
What they dont realize, however, is that the perception of being a 'cheap operator' is not because of their technology but because they really havent been anything more than an el-cheapo service provider. Customer Service is non-existent, brand loyalty is zilch and the aspirational value of a Reliance Connection is negative. These are factors that Reliance themselves are responsible for, not the technology.

Anyway, getting back to iPhone, I booked one each with Vodafone and AirTel. Lets see who gives a better rate, then maybe I can get an cheap iPhone from India and use it abroad, giving the line to one of our parents to use. Even if Reliance releases the iPhone in India, there's no way I'm going to be buying voice services from them.

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th June 2008 at 17:51.
Old 26th June 2008, 17:58   #639
Senior - BHPian

Off topic entirely:

My 3 year old daughter likes to watch the "Tom and Jerry" cartoons I have downloaded in my iPhone. But, apart from watching those MxTube downloaded cartoons, she also meddles with the phone very much.

Yesterday evening, she started telling me, "Appa naanu dustbin muttuttiddine (I am touching the dustbin)". I did not give her statement its due. She repeated her statement after a while. I then realised that she was operating my phone. Before I knew, she had deleted a photo of Rolls Royce Phantom I had clicked at Royal Orchid hotel, Mysore last weekend. :(

Talk of ease of use!
Old 26th June 2008, 18:06   #640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is partially true - there is a perception factor in India that the CDMA phones are meant for autorickshaw drivers and raddiwallahs, but then Reliance themselves are responsible for this perception. It is no fault of the technology.

More than this, Reliance would want to jump onto the GSM bandwagon because:
1. They're paying a fairly hefty royalty PER SUBSCRIBER PER YEAR to Qualcomm for CDMA usage. When you consider the number of subscribers they have, this is a huge amount, working out to a few hundred million dollars.
2. CDMA doesnt fit into their expansion plans. If, for instance, they merge with MTN, the merged entity will not benefit from economies of scale because of two different technologies. And there arent many CDMA operators around for them to acquire anyway.
What they dont realize, however, is that the perception of being a 'cheap operator' is not because of their technology but because they really havent been anything more than an el-cheapo service provider. Customer Service is non-existent, brand loyalty is zilch and the aspirational value of a Reliance Connection is negative. These are factors that Reliance themselves are responsible for, not the technology.

Anyway, getting back to iPhone, I booked one each with Vodafone and AirTel. Lets see who gives a better rate, then maybe I can get an cheap iPhone from India and use it abroad, giving the line to one of our parents to use. Even if Reliance releases the iPhone in India, there's no way I'm going to be buying voice services from them.
When I meant lown end, I wasn't even talking about the "customer base"
I was talking about handsets.
For example, a year ago, the most expensive phone from reliance was a series40 v2 6265 from Nokia, costing 16000.
You could buy a windows mobile or Symbian series 60 phones for lower price.
More features, low price.
Only recently did blackberry etc., come to reliance fold.
the reasons can by myriad, but when there are no high end phones on offer, it limits the market.
Compare that to GSM. There is such a thriving grey and white ecosystem.
Old 26th June 2008, 18:19   #641
BHPian

Steeroid,
1. In my opinion, the royalty to Qualcom is part of the handset cost(paid one time when Reliance or any other vendor procures the set) and in that way paid by the customer(as he buyies the cell and the royalty is like hidden cost passed on to him/her). So Reliance does not pay any per year per subscriber royalty to Qualcom.
2. Even if the end technologies are different, The business support systems(BSS) and Operation Suport Systems(OSS) remain the same and can be integrated/same systems used for GSM & CDMA (I know this for sure). Hence economies of scale do work out. End technology (GSM/CDMA) matters only upto the HLR's / MSC's. Ultimately BSS & OSS systems are the ones that support the day to day workings of Telco's.
Old 27th June 2008, 17:38   #642
IMP
BHPian

I just registered myself with both airtel and vodafone.
As Srijit mentioned: Steve Jobs in his keynote at the WWDC mentioned that the iPhone will be launched at a maximum price of $199 all around the world. (With a 2 year contract of course).

If that's the case, i hope, it will be the same over here.

Last edited by IMP : 27th June 2008 at 17:42.
Old 27th June 2008, 20:51   #643
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Its impossible that the I phone would launch at the same price world over, I think we forgot the fact that different countries different taxes.
Another pathetic excuse for a phone with a pathetic network provider and pathetic pricing..Even though I myself use vodafone and an Iphone once for a damn short period.
No offense guys, anyone buying these please feel free to enjoy your glee.
I'm just voicing my thoughts.
Old 27th June 2008, 20:55   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
I just registered myself with both airtel and vodafone.
How much is the booking amount?
Old 27th June 2008, 20:59   #645
BANNED

3 buck via Mobile SMS and free via Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
How much is the booking amount?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks