Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 17:39   #781
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that we can update to 2.0 easily. I will probably wait for a week or so and see the response from you guys. If things go well, I am good to go to 2.0. Just waiting for your reports...
Old 24th July 2008, 17:52   #782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
hi,
just received a message from AIRTEL !!

The iphone you have been waiting for is coming soon on AIRTEL in india.to book your iphonesms iphone to 54321 or log on to www.airtel.in/iphone3g
This airtel has been sending for last couple of weeks, right now airtel site is down and only the Q1 results page works

Coming back to the launch, am not sure the Aug launch will include india :(

Anyways, seems someone might be able to get me an officially unlocked by apple unit (read as no hacks/cracks) by next week, so will await a reply from Airtel, Voda, Apple till then, or else am taking the plunge and will have it in hand before Independence day.

Let me once again curse apple and telco's for teasing me!
Old 24th July 2008, 18:15   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
tadukuttan. I did my friend's iPhone Classic to Firmware 2. He had a problem with the address book contacts not being shown (was resolved in the older firmwares using AppSupport). Did you encounter this problem? Did you have to manually fix it? Or is there a fix out?
What I do normally is a restore, and when I connect the phone back, I always choose to create a new iPhone profile. The addresses, email accounts etc will sync back from the system anyway.

I have also tried restoring to an old iTunes profile, but did not notice an issue with the address book.

And some screen shots below to bring out the "Yellow" part, also shows the app store, and usage/battery info.

Name:  IMG_0001.PNG
Views: 633
Size:  115.1 KBName:  IMG_0002.PNG
Views: 837
Size:  76.3 KBName:  IMG_0003.PNG
Views: 670
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 24th July 2008, 18:15   #784

Hi Guys I am new member to Team BHP. I have some one working for Airtel very close to me . Iphone will come at cost of Approx 27k as the company has to take care of the service part also. even the ones which are going to be imported or bought by you from the grey market is gonna come at a cost because the I Phone can be bought along with the plan and there are plans which range upto 650$. So its not gonna come cheap. Its gonna be for a Niche market. Basically both Voda and Airtel dont want everyone to hold an Iphone and rather used by top level customers only
Old 24th July 2008, 18:30   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Scream View Post
Iphone will come at cost of Approx 27k as the company has to take care of the service part also.

So its not gonna come cheap. Its gonna be for a Niche market. Basically both Voda and Airtel dont want everyone to hold an Iphone and rather used by top level customers only
I also have the same feeling, and yes the legal purchase of phones abroad are close to 40-50 grand. ie unlocked and without any contract. So it would be cheaper to buy in India, provided you are ready to take the tab of higher monthly bills/plans.

At the end of the day, 199$ for iPhone is one of the best oxymoron of recent times!

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2008 at 18:31.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:55   #786
Team-BHP Support

man, what yellow are you guys complaining about??

and i think this was resolved with the firmware upgrade provided by apple soon after 3G launch, to a great extent atleast.
Old 24th July 2008, 22:09   #787
Senior - BHPian

BRILLIANT!!

I have just upgraded to 2.0. All systems are GO!!

Will update on the improvements/changes once I have had time to go churn it up!
Old 24th July 2008, 23:10   #788
Senior - BHPian

The best app I have found so far is REMOTE. Insane app absolutely love it
Old 25th July 2008, 00:02   #789
BHPian

The firmware is still not stable I see. Many a times, the phone restarts when i click an app. Sometimes it just resprings. Sometimes the keyboard has a little lag, not noticable but more than what was on 1.1.4.

I also felt an issue with zoom and unzoom on pictures. When I doibleclick, the pic zooms very well. but when i doubleclick again, sometimes it does nothing

Lets see, heard apple will release 2.1 in a few days
Old 25th July 2008, 10:52   #790
BHPian

Jaggu, the countries that give the 8Gb phone at around $199 all have higher monthly rates and higher call cost per minute than India. India is among the cheapest for mobile phone minutes.
So it makes sense that the phone will be about 20-30K, which brings in a little exclusivity.
8K for a phone is affordable by all, but not 20K

Are you getting your Apple unlocked phone from the US?
Old 25th July 2008, 10:57   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
man, what yellow are you guys complaining about??

and i think this was resolved with the firmware upgrade provided by apple soon after 3G launch, to a great extent atleast.
there is a yellowish tint forming on some iphone 3g sold. many people think it s related to firmware issues apple did that they made screen warmer. if your have a iphone 2g there no need to worry about it. hope that clears your doubt http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 25th July 2008, 11:56   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So it makes sense that the phone will be about 20-30K, which brings in a little exclusivity.
You are expecting exclusivity by owning an iPhone? Soon, every tom, dick and harry and their relatives will have it.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th July 2008 at 11:57.
Old 25th July 2008, 17:24   #793
Senior - BHPian

Firmware 2.0 up & running on my phone! Mucho thanks to the high-priest of iPhone's on the forum!!

Still testing but app store is cool & some of the revised functions are a God send!
Old 25th July 2008, 23:07   #794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you getting your Apple unlocked phone from the US?
Nope, US there are no provision to purchase a legally unlocked iPhone. Mine would be from Europe ie if everything works out fine on stock front. As i mentioned i should come to know if my expensive wish will work out in a week or so :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are expecting exclusivity by owning an iPhone? Soon, every tom, dick and harry and their relatives will have it.
Yes if its launched close to 20k, if above 25-30 i dont think Indian public will go grab it that fast.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:40   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are expecting exclusivity by owning an iPhone?
No I dont expect exclusivity. These things will most probably become like iPods in the US. Everyone will have one. I like mine and I am not bothered that I am not unique

Most Viewed