Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 23:56   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively.
Now can we sue all those newspapers and channels that reported lower prices over the last few days?
Old 20th August 2008, 00:43   #872
BHPian

at 36k its a total ripoff. butttt there are going to be a lot of people who are going to buy it irrespective of the price.. I know a guy who paid 55k for the 16gb white version a week after the launch..
Old 20th August 2008, 01:11   #873
BHPian

a few reasons not to buy the iphone from the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

posted from 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G - Free Software Foundation

The 5 real reasons to avoid iPhone 3G:
  • iPhone completely blocks free software. Developers must pay a tax to Apple, who becomes the sole authority over what can and can't be on everyone's phones.
  • iPhone endorses and supports Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology.
  • iPhone exposes your whereabouts and provides ways for others to track you without your knowledge.
  • iPhone won't play patent- and DRM-free formats like Ogg Vorbis and Theora.
  • iPhone is not the only option. There are better alternatives on the horizon that respect your freedom, don't spy on you, play free media formats, and let you use free software -- like the FreeRunner.
"This is the phone that has changed phones forever," Mr. Jobs said.
We agree. A snake oil salesman not satisfied with his business of pushing proprietary software and Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) technology into your home, Jobs has set his sights on getting DRM and proprietary software into your pocket as well.
There is a reason so much emphasis was put on the visual design of the iPhone. There is a reason that Apple is so concerned about unsightly seams that they won't even let you change the battery in your own phone.
Apple, through its marketing and visual design techniques, is manufacturing an illusion that merely buying an Apple makes you part of an alternative community. But the technology they use is explicitly chosen to divide people into separate digital cells, and to position Apple as sole warden. When your business depends on people paying for the privilege of being locked up, the prison better look and feel luxurious, and the bars better not be too visible.
Wait, locked up? Prison? It's a phone. Aren't we being a little extreme?

Unfortunately, we are not. The extreme here is represented by Jobs and Apple. The iPhone is an attack on very old and fundamental values -- the value of people having control over their stuff rather than their stuff having control over them, the right to freely communicate and share with others, and the importance of privacy.
The iPhone does make phone calls, but it is not just a phone. It is a general-purpose computer, more powerful in terms of hardware than the ones we might have had sitting on our desks just a few years ago. It's also a tracking device, and like other proprietary GPS-enabled phones, can transmit your location without your knowledge.
As of November 2007, 3.3 billion people in the world had mobile telephones, and the number continues to rise rapidly. For many of these people, phones are becoming the most important computers they own. They are vital to their communications and they are with them all the time. Of all the technology people use that could be turned against them, this is one of the most frightening possibilities.
But there is an important difference between the iPhone and prior general-purpose computers: The iPhone is broken, on purpose. It is in theory capable of running many different kinds of programs, but software applications and media will be limited via Apple's ironically named Digital Restrictions Management technology -- "FairPlay".
FoulPlay

Apple's DRM system monitors your activities and tells you what you are and are not allowed to do. What you are not allowed to do is install any software that Apple doesn't like. This restriction prevents you from installing free software -- software whose authors want you to freely share, copy and modify their work.
Free software has given us many exciting things on the desktop -- the GNU/Linux operating system, the Firefox web browser, the OpenOffice.org suite, the Apache webserver that runs most of the web sites on the internet. Why would we want to buy a computer that goes out of its way to obstruct the freedom of such creators?
This system is not Apple's only FoulPlay. iPhones can now also only be activated in stores -- despite the fact that in the U.S., the Register of Copyrights ruled that consumers have the right to unlock their phones and switch to a different carrier.
Fingerpointing (and we don't mean the touch screen)

Jobs would have us believe that all of these restrictions are necessary. He nods and agrees when we complain about them, and says that he doesn't like them either. He claims that Apple is forced to include them for our own good -- for the safety of the whole telephone network, and to allow access to all the movies and music we want.
But it's been a year and a half since Jobs, under pressure from the public, spoke out strongly against DRM and in favor of freedom. With great hesitation, he allowed a handful of files to go DRM-free on iTunes, but kept in place the requirement that they be purchased using the proprietary, DRM-infected iTunes software. Since then, he has done absolutely nothing to act on those words. In his movie and video ventures, he has continued to push DRM. And now he's bringing it to mobile software applications as well. It's become clear that those words were a ploy to defuse opposition.
The truth is that there are thousands of software, music, and media creators who want to share their work more freely. It's funny -- as in reprehensible -- because Apple's OS X operating system was in fact largely built on software written by people who voluntarily made their work free to others for further copying, modification and improvement. When people have the freedom to tinker, create, and innovate, they make exciting and useful creations. People have already been writing their own free software to run mobile platforms. The telephone network is still standing.
We know Jobs is afraid of competition, and is manufacturing threats and excuses. This is simply a business decision, and it's a kind of business we shouldn't support. Jobs wants the iPhone to restrict you because he wants your money and increased control is a means to that -- he wants to take as much from you as possible, give you back as little as possible, and keep his costs at the absolute minimum. He's trying to make sure that nobody writes software for the iPhone to do things that he doesn't want the iPhone to be able to do -- such software might make FoulPlay less foul, play alternative media formats, show the user exactly what's being communicated from the phone to the people monitoring it, or even disable transmission of that information.
Being the future we want to see

Fortunately, we will soon be able to have all the convenience of a mobile computer that also makes phone calls without selling our freedom to Apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry, or anyone else. The Neo FreeRunner is a promising free-software phone, being developed in cooperation with the same worldwide community responsible for the GNU/Linux operating system. These are creators who want to share their work and who want you and others to be able to do what they did -- build on the work of people who came before them to make new, empowering devices.
Jobs built on the work of people before him too, only his answer is to kick away the ladder and try to prevent anyone else from doing what he did. His customers are fighting back -- according to Apple in October 2007, over 250,000 of the 1.4 million iPhones sold were unlocked by their users. Rather than embracing this, Jobs thinks it should be stopped.
We have a choice. The FreeRunner doesn't yet do as much as the iPhone and it's certainly not as pretty. But in terms of potential, the fact that it's supported by a worldwide community of people rather than a single greedy, dishonest and secretive entity puts it light-years ahead. We can trade our freedom and our money to get something flashy on the surface, or we can spend a little more money, keep our freedom, and support a better kind of business. If we want businesses to be ethical, we have to reward the ones that are. By not enriching companies that want to take away our freedom and by rewarding those that respect us, we will be helping to bring about a better future.
Old 20th August 2008, 01:12   #874
BHPian

31k for the base model!!! this is going to be one BIG JOKE!!!

long live nokia!!
Old 20th August 2008, 01:26   #875
BHPian

OK This is outragious!!! What are we? free bait? First off they price cars ridiculously high here in India and now this? Steve Jobs stated that Apple would sincerely be sticking to their price plan worldwide!!! This can be heard in his public address at the 3G iPhone launch! He stated and I quote
"We will be launching the iPhone 3G at a price of USD 199 for the 8GB model, and US 299 for the 16GB"

I can't believe that they're doing this to us again and again.

BTW: My brother has received his iPhone 3G and says it's quite good, however that is in comparison to the 1st gen which he returned. That being said he informed me that there are still quite a few issues with it, will try to get him to write me a review
Old 20th August 2008, 01:27   #876
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is just hilarious...

If I wanted to spend nearly 40k on a phone The HTC Touch Pro is a MUCH better option..
Old 20th August 2008, 04:21   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively.

Wish I could use more of these! It is a ridiculous price, and i would dare call the phone lousy for the price it comes for! I wish we can have a movement to keep off from Apple's "i" stuffs! Rip offs!!! Our politicians and cops and bureaucrats seem better!!!!
Old 20th August 2008, 04:38   #878
BHPian

Guys i have used the iphone for 6 months, and had my nokia n95 8 gb as well, iphone did give me a lot of trouble with its software till 1.1.4 came out, but as it was lacking so many functions, i sold it, my trusted n95 8 gb is still with me, now iam planing samsung omnia which is 1000 times better than iphone , just waiting for omnias official launch, even price will be close to iphones price with so many functions..
Old 20th August 2008, 07:29   #879
Senior - BHPian

Its hard to find even one foriegn players who do not rip us out
31K for a Phone is not a joke anymore. Gone are those days when mobiles were expensive.
But, this will certaily sell, not in huge numbers. Because the Blackberry costs almost same price and come with 128MB memory (May be now a little more memory) sells, but mostly corporate sales.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:38   #880
BHPian

This will sell, no matter what the price! I have people here , who want to buy this with warranty & are willing to any price for this as this is basically a show-off gadget.
That's what I think of it.

I'd rather stick with my Nokia N95 8gb, even though I'm not particularly fond of Nokia.
Old 20th August 2008, 09:04   #881
BHPian

not sure why the need a contract at this price. then can just sell it unlocked!
Old 20th August 2008, 10:24   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
ADD:
3. Cannot choose the mail account you want to send your mail from (if you have multiple mail accounts configured) - it always sends from the 'default' account, which is pretty embarassing when you reply to your boss's urgent mail from your Gmail account (happened to me)
New email is sent from default account. A reply is sent from the proper account. Just tested it now. Its the button next to the New mail button.

Quote:
5. Does not have separate sent and received folders for SMS - all your messages appear in the same list.
Supposed to be a feature. You can see the flow of the conversation. Sent messages are in different color.

Quote:
7. Will show your appointments in Cupertino time rather than the timezone you have selected (I get reminders for meetings at 2 am in the morning)
My phone is on a 1.1.3 firmware. I have set the timezone as India, and all alarms and appoinments are correct. I dont know how to solve this problem. What firmware are you on?

Quote:
8. Does not support nicknames for your contacts
If you use windows, you have to setup the nickname via Windows Address Book. Bit useless, since there is no search feature in mine, so far Also it wont display by nickname, but it is still there.

Quote:
9. Does not support categories for contacts
Same as above. Setup your contacts using Windows Address Book. Create Categories in that and you can now have groups/categories.

Quote:
10.Does not allow you to set a primary phone number for a contact - you have to open up the contact info and dial the number you want everytime.
You can add that number/contact to favorites. Dont know if there is a 3rd party hack for this, though.

Quote:
11.Cannot filter or sort call records by called numbers, incoming numbers and missed numbers.
Need a 3rd party app called iLog.

Quote:
12.Does not allow you to rearrange your icons or sort them by different categories.
From ver 1.1.3, you just hold down the icon for a few seconds and it starts to wriggle. Select the desired icon and then move it to the desired screen/place.
If you have jailbroken the phone, search for "Categories" app in installer. It allows you to group the icons into a single icon, like a folder. Not too good looking, but it gets the job done.

Quote:
17.Does not let you save multiple APNs for different service providers - you have to set up the APN every time you change your SIM.
It is a feature.(?) Cos each phone is "supposed" to be used only with one provider.

Quote:
18.Does not give you the option of SMS over GPRS.
Havent heard of this. What is that?

Quote:
19.Has really lousy T9 or prediction of typed out words - again, you cant set up the unit to predict your word after 'x' number of letters or show 1,2,3,4 or 5 different words as you choose in Win Mo.
Havent really felt a problem. Maybe I should type more and see.

Quote:
PS: If any of you know how to make the phone do any of the above, please do let me know. I am a very frustrated user at the moment, but I love the interface.
i wouldnt have bothered to reply, if not for this sentence Too many people seem to be enjoying making fun of the iPhone. Why dont they realize that not everyone needs every feature?
Old 20th August 2008, 10:56   #883
BHPian

Well got the mail from vodafone as i had booked the fone, with same details as mentioned here. As i have used the iphone i dont think its worth the money, if it was around 20 k i would have got THE 3G. i would rather wait for the omnia
Old 20th August 2008, 10:57   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
How Apple wants to reach masses in India ? Overprice the phone as usual coordinating with Airtel/Vodafone.

Pricing is out.

8GB iphone is going to be Rs.31000, 16GB will be around 36000.

Source:

Tech2.com India > iPhone 3G Pricing Out > News on Mobile Phones Mobile

Confirming the numbers. Recd SMS from Vodafone about the same.

Now I am not going to buy it
Old 20th August 2008, 10:57   #885
BHPian

Here is the mail i got from vodafone today:

Thank you for registering for your Apple iPhone 3G™ with us. We are delighted to announce that the iPhone 3G will be available in India from August 22, 2008
It will be available in 8GB & 16GB models, priced at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively. Be the first to get the iPhone We have received a large number of registrations. As there are limited stocks, make sure that you get yours first, by paying an advance of Rs 10,000 to confirm your booking. Where can you make this advance payment? The iPhone 3G will be available at select Vodafone Stores. All you need to do is drop in at any select Vodafone Store between August 20 and 21 and make the advance payment by cash or credit card. DonŽt forget to show the iPhone booking SMS, which you would have received from us, when you visit the Vodafone Store to pay the advance. To find a Vodafone Store near you, click here Get an appointment now. No queues for you. Once you pay the advance, we will immediately give you an appointment date and time, starting August 22 when you can come and experience a full demonstration and collect your iPhone, all ready to use with your contacts and settings, by paying the balance amount. Hurry! Limited stocks. Remember, the sooner you confirm your booking, the earlier youŽll get your iPhone. We have limited stocks and it will be on first come, first serve basis. Happy to help If you have any queries, log on to Vodafone - Select your region or call Vodafone Care on 111 (toll free) and weŽll be happy to help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks