Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 18:09   #976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkishore View Post
Jaggu,
the reasons being citied for not being really enterprise ready :
a) email server has to be outside fire-wall. so access via vpn would require to punch in the keys everytime ?
b) VPN drops frequently.
c) email is not pushed real time. email is synchronised only when you run the email app.
d) email can be feteched at pre-set frequency, say every min, 10 mins, etc. It seems this drains the battery faster
e) Calendar, tasks and Notes are either screwed up or not present.
f) No copy/paste !
g) cannot sort emails other than by time !
h) cannot search emails
i) cannot mark emails as high importance or mark them for follow up.
j) folders cannot be collapsed and are always shown expanded. though the screen is quite big, doesnt suit everyone.
h) finally, the keyboard isnt as fast as the other smart-phones.

my company makes atleast one component of the iphone and we usually buy products which carry our chips. iphone is surely a nice phone, and we had internally participated in the beta program . but at the end, it was not ready for usage in enterprise situations. Blackberry still rules.
My observations, maybe Steer will have tech data.

a) Am not sure about this, but yes once you configure exchange it forces you to enter a password to even use the phone.

b) I tried VPN for around 15 mts no issues, throgh my Airtel wifi, BSNL though had issue, but was due to BSNL connection.

c) You can set to "Push" using exchange active sync, thats what i know OR you have to use Mobile me. Anyway i have set mine to manual for the sake of battery lol

d) Yes and if required you can switch over to manual as i have done. Option is there for Push, Fetch and Manual. Also if you have multiple accounts, you can set for each. Auto Push/Ftech will drain battery, in any mobile device!

e) Calendar is there and works well, it has notes inside that. Separate Notes apps is also there, but can only be emailed and cannot be sync. I always used calendar notes, even in win mob.

f) Yup, this one is a bummer. Expected to be corrected mostly by Sept/Oct with firmware update.

g, h, i) Yup. If you are a heavy user it might be inconvenient. i) you can keep em unread though lol and i dont think Win Mob or symbian also has a solution for this??

j) ???

h) Its really fast, one just needs to get used to it. I started with fore finger, now graduated to 2 thumbs Predictive text is also sweet. Yup one cannot grow nails lol (women folks?), i think good tool for personal grooming.

I think first app i will download would be the RDC apps, to access my office comp while at office wifi. My touch had one, but withe tiny screen it was lil difficult to use, and yeah it used to screw up desk top arrangement lol.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2008 at 18:36. Reason: Screwed up alphabet reply
Old 24th August 2008, 18:29   #977
Senior - BHPian

My responses are below. I cant really understand why you're having so much trouble with fetching email - it is almost straight out of the box. Microsoft Exchange sync can be set up in about 15 seconds (depending on how fast you type) unlike Blackberry which requires activation, PIN, etc etc blah blah.

Quote:
Jaggu,
the reasons being citied for not being really enterprise ready :
a) email server has to be outside fire-wall. so access via vpn would require to punch in the keys everytime ?
You dont need VPN access for Microsoft Exchange support. No corporate email server will be OUTSIDE a firewall - whats the point in having the firewall, then?

My exchange server is behind a few firewalls, but still works flawlessly.
b) VPN drops frequently.
Why would you want VPN for Exchange? Or do you have some other web-based application you will access using the VPN?
c) email is not pushed real time. email is synchronised only when you run the email app.
It is pushed pretty much real time - you need to set up the duration under Settings > Fetch New Data > Push. Just turn that 'Push' on.
d) email can be feteched at pre-set frequency, say every min, 10 mins, etc. It seems this drains the battery faster
This is very unusual - why would sporadic data sessions drain the battery faster than a continuous, non-stop session?
e) Calendar, tasks and Notes are either screwed up or not present.
Calendar is a bit screwed up - you need to set your time-zone not just for the device, but also under the Calendar settings (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll all the way down till you see Time Zone settings - else all your Calendar events will be set to Cupertino, CA time. Why it does something so stupid, I dont know.)

Tasks - I've just wasted $6 buying an application that promised to Sync tasks for me, but it didnt. The iPhone does not sync anything other than contacts, calendar and mail. No, it does not know Tasks.
f) No copy/paste !
Haha. Haha again. And yet again. Welcome to the world of Apple and forget everything else you knew.
g) cannot sort emails other than by time !
Be thankful you can actually sort by time.
h) cannot search emails
Wait for Google to release a phone. Do you have that many mails on your handheld device that you actually need to search? In any case it can only take upto 200 mails (which is far less than my daily quota)
i) cannot mark emails as high importance or mark them for follow up.
Get mail, read, reply. For anything more, buy a Microsoft or Symbian mobile device.
j) folders cannot be collapsed and are always shown expanded. though the screen is quite big, doesnt suit everyone.
h) finally, the keyboard isnt as fast as the other smart-phones.
What keyboard?
my company makes atleast one component of the iphone and we usually buy products which carry our chips.
But you had to wait in queue for your iPhone just like everyone else?
Old 24th August 2008, 18:32   #978
BHPian

generally as an enterprise, the company i work for has been always on the helm of providing mobile office options. We have had treos, windows mobile phones, nokia e series, etc. Although, we have had quite a bit of collaboration with Apple for development of the vpn technology in the iphone 2.0, we have still not deployed the iphone internally. The original iphone failed the internal employee beta for usability and enterprise readiness and the new iphone 3g internal beta has been delayed till Apple resolves some key issues. I am guessing by this year end, the iphone will be true enterprise ready.
I don't see it as something I would spend my own money on , i'd rather spend my chips on a good camera phone which can double up as a good video player for my car (lg viewty is my current jack of all trades).
However, if my company provides an improved iphone 3g which enables me to work effectively and gives me the joys of its neat UI, I would take it cheers:
Old 24th August 2008, 18:44   #979
BHPian

Steeroid,
these were "reasons being cited" for the company for not deploying the phones. I do not have any personal experience of the above claims. Looks like some of the findings have changed/fixed since the pre-launch in the US [not India].

h) so what happens after the 200 mails quota ? FIFO ? btw, heard that google's android was recently released. have to see what does it offer.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:11   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steeroid,
these were "reasons being cited" for the company for not deploying the phones. I do not have any personal experience of the above claims. Looks like some of the findings have changed/fixed since the pre-launch in the US [not India].

Sorry I confused you with the other chap who was having issues with calendars and stuff.

Quote:
h) so what happens after the 200 mails quota ? FIFO ?
Yeah it goes into FIFO.
Old 25th August 2008, 00:14   #981
BHPian

So let me get this straight... They didnt insist that you had to take a new plan with the new iPhone. You could use the old plan that you already had?
That's interesting. Why unlock at all if Airtel doesnt tie you down to a special plan.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:14   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
So let me get this straight... They didnt insist that you had to take a new plan with the new iPhone. You could use the old plan that you already had?
That's interesting. Why unlock at all if Airtel doesnt tie you down to a special plan.
Yes from AirTel sim perspective, only thing was to just open and plonk it in. My previous HTC also was locked when i bought it from AirTel, and got it unlocked also. Apple site says that in India AirTel can unlock the set, ps Vodafone cant/dont allow
Old 25th August 2008, 10:51   #983
BHPian

iPhone price drop?

Engadget is running a story about iPhone price discounts by Vodafone India. Couldn't confirm this. Anyone know about this?
Old 25th August 2008, 11:13   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldeodhar View Post
Engadget is running a story about iPhone price discounts by Vodafone India. Couldn't confirm this. Anyone know about this?
Yup a friend picked up the 8G one for Rs.28,500 from Vodafone and was gifted a free case from Rohit Barker.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:35   #985
Senior - BHPian

I believe the price cut is official, 29k for the 8GB and 34k for the 16GB and if you push you just might get a little more off.

Wait for Diwali - these things will settle down at a more realistic price level of 25k for 8GB and 30k for 16GB. Or less, depending on how desperate they are.

EDIT: I believe this must be the fastest price-cut on a gadget/device so far in India? 3 days and Rs.2,000 off!

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th August 2008 at 11:36.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:06   #986
Team-BHP Support

I read somewhere that iPhone is not cheap because its not subsidized here(unlike USofA).
So are they selling iPhone unlocked, or you are still locked to the operator even after paying full price?
Old 25th August 2008, 12:22   #987
BHPian

I have a Rs 22.5K Apple Sticker on my Wagon-R, came with the iphone i bought.
My screen went bad in 2 months of usage.So i call the sticker at 22.5k Sticker.
Can someone guide me about Apple service centres, that might have opened up to deal with Iphone 3G issues in India?
Want to get my iphone repaired. It has a yellow spot around 2 cm long on the screen.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:10   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I read somewhere that iPhone is not cheap because its not subsidized here(unlike USofA).
So are they selling iPhone unlocked, or you are still locked to the operator even after paying full price?
You are right it is not subsidised as in US of A.

In india its will be locked for Airtel/vodafone Sims only.
However you can crack it, only with an exception of the appstore.

Untill the price comes in range of under 28k.It is not a good deal.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:53   #989
BANNED

After all the holla created by Vodafone & Airtel about iPhone, someone told me that they could sell only 40 nos on the opening day -is it true?
Old 25th August 2008, 20:55   #990
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
After all the holla created by Vodafone & Airtel about iPhone, someone told me that they could sell only 40 nos on the opening day -is it true?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks