Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No, not this one. Not even educated IT Guy would remember this
Some of us nerds do.
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:05   #962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
hows the iphone looking so far - any reports or are you going to have a separate thread on your experience
So far so good, no lags, crashes etc. I have kept the phone a virgin wrt 3rd party applications. Just did the first recharge of battery (apart from the reg top up that i did from factory charge).

Will run it for 1 or 2 cycles to determine the battery back up. Then upgrade to ver 2.02 and do a comparison.

First cut feedback, great! i have reached 50% mark of my regular monthly data usage in under 24 hours. Partly due to colleagues and friends taking it for test drive and due to the GPS ON for a long time and fetching email ON. Have disabled both now.

Maybe then the addition of apps and problems can start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Some of us nerds do.
Nerds "not =" IT guys

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2008 at 12:06.
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:19   #963
BHPian

MAC address <> Mac id. I too know what MAC adress means. I was wondering why they needed that after they sold the phone.
I think what Steeroid said is right. They were trying to enroll people for the MobileMe service. That is about $99 per year and comes with a lot of stuff like push email, gallery, album, blog etc. Not needed, really.

Jaggu, I thought the iPhones came with unlimited data plans.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:06   #964
Senior - BHPian

Well my dad liked the iphone very much and he was supposed to change his phone.(using the same 6600 for 5 years).
So we went yesterday morning at 8 o'clock in the morning to the Airtel outlet in the M block market GK2 in delhi and to our surprise they were open.
Bought a white 16gb one.Dad's happy.he really likes it.

By the way its already playing up.Dad said the home screen suddenly vibrated and the IPOD button on the base went up into the regular buttons cluster.
And sometimes when its locked(touchscreen locked) , it refuses to unlock and the power key has to be pressed a couple of times to bring the unlock screen up.

also as you know the iphone has an accelerometer that recognises when the phone has been put to the ear has some niggles.like when the call is over and dad puts the phone down.the screen still doesn't power up.and has to be shaken or the power key pressed in order to power the screen up.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 23rd August 2008 at 21:12.
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:22   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

By the way its already playing up.Dad said the home screen suddenly vibrated and the IPOD button on the base went up into the regular buttons cluster.
And sometimes when its locked(touchscreen locked) , it refuses to unlock and the power key has to be pressed a couple of times to bring the unlock screen up.

also as you know the iphone has an accelerometer that recognises when the phone has been put to the ear has some niggles.like when the call is over and dad puts the phone down.the screen still doesn't power up.and has to be shaken or the power key pressed in order to power the screen up.
Strange goings on. I must say I've never had these experiences - no stability or other issues whatsoever. What pisses me off is the functionality part, but I seem to be getting used to it. Getting dumbed down?
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:29   #966
Senior - BHPian

well actually i'm not really concerned with these problems.its been a record that every phone that we've bought has had problems in the first month.teething problems.they've hanged,crashed,acted really weird.but after that its all ok.so maybe an update and it'll be flying.

actually there are reports that the 2.0.0 had errors,2.0.1 ahd them and now their cure the 2.0.2 also has them.lol.people have been reporting it all over the world.so its just a firmware issue.nothing much.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:42   #967
BHPian

Some advantages:
1. great touch screen
2. 3G
3. True HTML format email support
4. MS Office and PDF attachment support.

Some Disadvantages:
1. not really enterprise ready
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:54   #968
Team-BHP Support

Replies inline in bold

Quote:

With long press/hold on for few secs, on any of the icons, the icons will start to virate. Then you can click and rearrange them. Its a functionality.

Power key might be new/hard, requires some more use. Easier way to unlock is press the "home" key and slide the slider to unlock

If phone is in locked position, it wakes up for the call for answering, then goes back to sleep once the call ends. If you really wants to switch ON, either press the power key or home button AND then use slider to unlock. It doesn have anything to do with the accelerometer.
The phone is fine, goto apple site and download the user manual. It will give you lots of useful tips to make your life easy

Quote:
well actually i'm not really concerned with these problems.its been a record that every phone that we've bought has had problems in the first month.teething problems.they've hanged,crashed,acted really weird.but after that its all ok.so maybe an update and it'll be flying.

actually there are reports that the 2.0.0 had errors,2.0.1 ahd them and now their cure the 2.0.2 also has them.lol.people have been reporting it all over the world.so its just a firmware issue.nothing much.
Dear friend, unless your download too many "new" applications, which are not yet stable, nothing will happen to the phone. Again if you are really bugged, you can always restore to stock, remove the applications and move on.

Dont go entirely with the info on the net, sometimes the users are the culprit. A software or hardware has its own limitations. I have used different OS and as long as one stays within the limits, the equipment works flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkishore View Post
Some advantages:
1. great touch screen
2. 3G
3. True HTML format email support
4. MS Office and PDF attachment support.

Some Disadvantages:
1. not really enterprise ready
Why so? I configured my office exchange server in under 5 mts and working like a charm. Only gripe is the phone cant handle diff address book for the same. Though am quite ok with the same, thanks to the size of my company

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2008 at 23:01. Reason: Back to back post :)
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:38   #969
Senior - BHPian

hey jaggu thanks man.that was a real help in all the explanation.will explain the same to my father tomorrow.i haven't gone through the manual.neither has dad.so that explains.

thanks mate.
Old 24th August 2008, 10:20   #970
BHPian

I highly recommend David Pogue's "The Missing Manual" book. It details quite a lot of info on the iPhone, but I doubt whether it will have the latest improvements.
Also take a look at these sites.
Apple's own tips and tricks page
About.com iphone tips
Old 24th August 2008, 14:45   #971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Did you read that article? Its a laugh!

They also claim that customers will not have access to the 2 airtel applications on the iPhone - which is basically the SIM Toolkit and a shortcut to AirtelLive.

That whole article is a joke. Dont take is seriously.
First thing i did was to remove these Crappy portal, never visited it even once.

Update from me

Today i upgraded the firmware, to 2.0.2, the modem firmware has been upgraded in this. It took 10 mts and worked well, had switched over to airplane mode just to avoid any mishaps (tip from good ol win mob day).

Switched ON and for a sec i thought i screwed up "no network", BUT withing couple of secs, voila all is back to normal. Didnt have to do any set up also, all perfectly set up to my preferences, without ANY intervention from my side. I like this part.
Old 24th August 2008, 15:01   #972
BHPian

Jaggu, could you please share the Airtel plan rates? Monthly rental, cost per min, any free minutes/sms etc.
Old 24th August 2008, 15:47   #973
Senior - BHPian

hi jaggu,

Are you on old gen iPhone or the 3g version? If on old gen, can you detail steps on how you upgraded to 2.0.2? I am on 1.1.4 right now. Just curious as to what all apps would be paid ones in 2.0? Is there a list of apps available under 2.0?
Old 24th August 2008, 17:42   #974
BHPian

Jaggu,
the reasons being citied for not being really enterprise ready :
a) email server has to be outside fire-wall. so access via vpn would require to punch in the keys everytime ?
b) VPN drops frequently.
c) email is not pushed real time. email is synchronised only when you run the email app.
d) email can be feteched at pre-set frequency, say every min, 10 mins, etc. It seems this drains the battery faster
e) Calendar, tasks and Notes are either screwed up or not present.
f) No copy/paste !
g) cannot sort emails other than by time !
h) cannot search emails
i) cannot mark emails as high importance or mark them for follow up.
j) folders cannot be collapsed and are always shown expanded. though the screen is quite big, doesnt suit everyone.
h) finally, the keyboard isnt as fast as the other smart-phones.

my company makes atleast one component of the iphone and we usually buy products which carry our chips. iphone is surely a nice phone, and we had internally participated in the beta program . but at the end, it was not ready for usage in enterprise situations. Blackberry still rules.
Old 24th August 2008, 17:54   #975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Jaggu, could you please share the Airtel plan rates? Monthly rental, cost per min, any free minutes/sms etc.
I havent changed my old mobile office plan, with the phone airtel is activating airtel live connection, and i read somewhere 500 mb data free for first 12 months.

I have to anyway change my connection plan, and will update next week on details then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
hi jaggu,

Are you on old gen iPhone or the 3g version? If on old gen, can you detail steps on how you upgraded to 2.0.2? I am on 1.1.4 right now. Just curious as to what all apps would be paid ones in 2.0? Is there a list of apps available under 2.0?
I have iPhone 3G, for classic iphone upgrade, jailbreak/unlock visit iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials they have detail explanation and resources.

No 3G doesnt come loaded with apps, you can browse the list of apps using iTunes, no need for a phone also, for that.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2008 at 17:55.

Most Viewed