Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 19:53   #736
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading in today's Hindu that it is available to the equivalent of Rs. 68 (yes!) in some countries, ofcourse locked and with a contract.
Old 11th July 2008, 19:59   #737
BHPian

Guys,

Does 3G phones work in india? I just checked the HTC diamond and it says it is 3G compatible, so i believe it should work.
My friend in US says that the Apple 3G will not work in india even if it is unlocked as it is 3G? Can someone shed some light on this.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:09   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Guys,

Does 3G phones work in india? I just checked the HTC diamond and it says it is 3G compatible, so i believe it should work.
My friend in US says that the Apple 3G will not work in india even if it is unlocked as it is 3G? Can someone shed some light on this.

see iphoen is having a icon to connect it to 3g (switch on /off)

so no issues with it !! yup 3g isn't there in india

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Sorry if this is question thats answered on the Apple/3g blogs but does the new version support bluetooth transfers or is it just bluetooth handsfree devices ?

Lets see if there's a way to get one shipped from the states.
i don't think so that still apple is giving the transfer software to iphone

WELL GREAT NEWS GUYSSS

Just read this story

Well it was bound to happen, many stores, both AT&T and Apple, are experiencing extremely slow or no activations at all. Reports from Engadet are saying the stores are sending the people home with their new phones so they can activate it from there....which i find very interesting.

Quote:
10:32AM ET: Indeed, depending on what employee you talk to, in-store activation via iTunes is either "slow" or "down" -- but either way, they're handing you the phone unactivated, which needs to be completed by connecting to iTunes from the comfort of your home. Beware: if you're upgrading, your old SIM will be immediately bricked, so you'll be phoneless until you complete the activation!

Follow the story live @ engadet

iPhone 3G international launch lineblog - Engadget

I M LOVIN' ITcheers:
Old 12th July 2008, 09:20   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I remember reading in today's Hindu that it is available to the equivalent of Rs. 68 (yes!) in some countries, ofcourse locked and with a contract.
Yeah that's not just for the iPhone.

If you sign up for a plan thats one of the premium plans then the equipment comes to you virtually free.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:19   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
well can you get the iphone for $199/299 ?? you have to go there accross the globe to get iphone 3g for $199 and stay there for 2 years because it's under contract! In my opinion it's rather expensive to get monthly bil of $120(which is more than 5k ) or get an INDIAN mobile connection with unlimited GPRS and cheaper call rates which will maximum cost
you 2-3k.
R u ready to pay that big amount?? (well they have trapped those customers to buy iphone from there company and in long term it's really expensive)

if yes i 'll pay you $400 for each phone i 'll be getting .DEAL?

see locked iphone is not expensive reason behind the AT&T is subsidising the iphone for customers (REMEMBER reliance Rs.500/- phone at start)

and unlocking iphone is just playing a ping pong on your computer !!If you still facing any problem buy iphone and i'll unlock it for you free of cost ,but you need to get me an iphone too

you need to have iphone 3g ,itunes,2.0 software (which now can be found on GOOGLE), and winpwn (windows version of PWNAGE TOOL)and last but not least some COMMON SENSE!!

and woollah you are using iphone in INDIA
dude!! its $199 in the US to pick up a locked iphone 8gb. i dont understand why i should pay something around the estimated amount of INR 21k for me to get the same here!!!

you cannot blame call rates for this. have you compared the number phones in india to the number of phones in the states??? are you telling me they are the same?? and even if they were hell bent on blaming call rates for this.......tell me does it sound fair to pay a difference of 2.8 times the rates in the US?? (sounds like india is getting the 3G rates ).

i am sorry i disagree with you having to say its perfectly alright to pay what your asked for.

P.S : please recheck you can get the iphone 8gb for $199 and sign up for monthly contracts as low as $30 a month. which is around 1k.

Last edited by flipsyde : 12th July 2008 at 11:23.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:23   #741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
dude!! its $199 in the US to pick up a locked iphone 8gb. i dont understand why i should pay something around the estimated amount of INR 21k for me to get the same here!!!

you cannot blame call rates for this. have you compared the number phones in india to the number of phones in the states??? are you telling me they are the same?? and even if they were hell bent on blaming call rates for this.......tell me does it sound fair to pay a difference of 2.8 times the rates in the US?? (sounds like india is getting the 3G rates ).

i am sorry i disagree with you having to say its perfectly alright to pay what your asked for.
u have to pay 21k becuase you stay in a greedy country with utterly stupid taxes
Old 12th July 2008, 11:34   #742
BHPian

Quote:

P.S : please recheck you can get the iphone 8gb for $199 and sign up for monthly contracts as low as $30 a month. which is around 1k.

well if you can get one please help me out , i m ready to pay 400$ for a 16gb and 300 for a 8gb Iphone (locked ) , i can unlock it by myself

do reply asap !!

now the asterix(*) comes in the play to this !!

you can't get an iphone for just $199 ,if you want to use it with your own carrier ..
reason behind is that is all carriers which are selling I phones make customers to fill a contract inside the store itself for 2years , now if you need to get an iphone it will be coming with grey market price which is expensive!!

I can't explain all the details here it's too lengthy .. if you want to know buzz me on my IM's .
Old 12th July 2008, 11:49   #743
BHPian

People seem to be blaming the government now for the prices which isn't right. If you see, the price of an unsubsidized (contract free) iPhone in the US for an 8GB one is $599. When converted to INR you get approx. 24k. This is the "true" cost of the iPhone in the US.

flipsyde: the lowest monthly contract available for the iPhone 3G in the US is $40 for the 450 minutes and $30 for the 3G internet which is mandatory, making the minimum amount monthly to be $70. Plus there is incoming charges for SMS and incoming calls are charged so theres the money in the US right there.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:53   #744
BHPian

3g iPhone Yellow Screens = Apple Fail?

Update: Restore via iTunes to download a new version of the firmware (2.0, 5A347). The colors will look much better after you restore. The shipping firmware on the iPhone 3G is 2.0 5A345. After the restore, the colors will be close to v1 iphone colors. posted by tamakin

Update #2: Some have posted that update #1 doesn't solve the issue, the theory is back to bad consistency between various screen manufacturers.

After waiting in lines and going through the excitement many are reporting that their 3g iPhones have noticeably yellow screens.

In the picture above the iPhone on the left is 3g, while the one on the right is a 1st generation model. If you remember back a year ago to the original iPhone launch there were two different screen types. One was perfect and crystal clear while the other had small but noticeable white dots. Once again Apple's quality control processes seem to be lacking leading to these disgusting yellow screens on many units.

via [ iPhone 3G Yellow Screen Issue - Mac Forums ]
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-yellow.jpg  

Old 12th July 2008, 12:51   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post
People seem to be blaming the government now for the prices which isn't right. If you see, the price of an unsubsidized (contract free) iPhone in the US for an 8GB one is $599. When converted to INR you get approx. 24k. This is the "true" cost of the iPhone in the US.

flipsyde: the lowest monthly contract available for the iPhone 3G in the US is $40 for the 450 minutes and $30 for the 3G internet which is mandatory, making the minimum amount monthly to be $70. Plus there is incoming charges for SMS and incoming calls are charged so theres the money in the US right there.
your right. blaming the government alone is not right. lets remember we have some of the cheapest calling rates in the world.

now tell me.... which sounds right to you. a locked iphone 8gb for 21k or an unlocked one for 24k???? you really think 3k makes a difference to somehow who is ready to spend 21k on a phone. i would think not.

end of the day immaterial of what you and i argue about this is the rate of iphones in india and nothing is going to change about that. there will be takers for the phone nevertheless. though we are not sure of the pricing i feel something around 16k would be alright to sell the locked version of the iphone. i have kept in mind the lower call charges and for the fact that fewer number of people would be opting for the iphone option. even still 21k is a rip off. i maintain that.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:16   #746
BHPian

Quote:
now tell me.... which sounds right to you. a locked iphone 8gb for 21k or an unlocked one for 24k???? you really think 3k makes a difference to somehow who is ready to spend 21k on a phone. i would think not.
I think you misunderstood what contract free means. It doesn't mean that the phone is available to use on any network. It just means that you will be able to use it on AT&T ONLY but there will be no legal agreement that you will use the service continuously for for 2 years or even for a year.

However, the situation changes since the usual procedure in the U.S. and rest of the world is that once your in through a substantial amount of your contract and in good standing, they provide you with unlocking codes. But this is more like 1 year later into a 2 year contract and is still left to be seen.

I do however agree that 16k would be a good price if the phone comes with a package deal for a fixed amount a month service.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:49   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post
I think you misunderstood what contract free means. It doesn't mean that the phone is available to use on any network. It just means that you will be able to use it on AT&T ONLY but there will be no legal agreement that you will use the service continuously for for 2 years or even for a year.

However, the situation changes since the usual procedure in the U.S. and rest of the world is that once your in through a substantial amount of your contract and in good standing, they provide you with unlocking codes. But this is more like 1 year later into a 2 year contract and is still left to be seen.

I do however agree that 16k would be a good price if the phone comes with a package deal for a fixed amount a month service.
Didn't know that about the contract. even then contract free means i can use the iphone on the vodaphone network with my existing plan without paying a monthly charge for the phone itself right??
Old 13th July 2008, 11:10   #748
Team-BHP Support

iPhone 3G and firmware 2.0: the day after - Engadget

Update: We just spoke with Bob Borchers, senior director of product marketing for the iPhone, and he had some very interesting info regarding the "yellow screen" phenomenon we've been hearing about. According to Bob (and Apple), the screen's color temperature has been purposely altered on the new iPhone to produce warmer, more natural tones, sharper images, and deeper blacks. The company says that 1st gen iPhone screens appeared colder and less defined, and they made some adjustments for the new models. In our opinion, what he says is right on -- the screens do look better on the iPhone 3G versus the older variety. What do you guys think?
Old 14th July 2008, 12:32   #749
Team-BHP Support

And for users who prefer blue, updated firmware is out.

MacRumors iPhone Blog: iPhone 3G Firmware Update 'Fixes' Yellowing of Screens?

Some forum members had reported that they felt the 5A347 firmware update would actually improve the "yellow" tint of the iPhone 3G screen.
Old 14th July 2008, 12:37   #750
Senior - BHPian

If someone has to bring me an iPhone 3g is it as simple as before?

i.e : Walk into Apple store and purchase.

Additionally the ETA 2.0 unlock to be made public ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks