Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 13:42   #1486
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

When i see these companies copying app store idea, i think its the best form of flattery and appreciation, to the guys sitting in apple headquarters.

Its the best thing that apple, has done foe the developers and the app industry.

Although it has it pros and cons,

Still who had imagined that appstore could lead to revenues as high as 8 miliion dollars from the apps business.

Old 31st March 2009, 21:27   #1487
Team-BHP Support

I rest my case!

Here's the linky The winners of the 2008 Engadget Awards!

Wins Gadget of the year and Smart phone of the year 2008, under Readers choice and Editors choice category @ Engadget.com

Pretty interesting stuff, and do check out the editors choice also

and this attitude is not helping RIM as far as i understand. RIM CEO: Buggy smartphone software is the "new reality"

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st March 2009 at 22:04.
Old 1st April 2009, 00:44   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and this attitude is not helping RIM as far as i understand. RIM CEO: Buggy smartphone software is the "new reality"
I seriously hope this attitude changes soon. Getting a phone and then sitting down to fix it or living with its quirks is not something I appreciate.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:50   #1489
BANNED

An Apple A Day...

Quote:
Here's the linky The winners of the 2008 Engadget Awards!

Wins Gadget of the year and Smart phone of the year 2008, under Readers choice and Editors choice category @ Engadget.com

Pretty interesting stuff, and do check out the editors choice also
Man! This is really stuff.

They've managed to slot in atleast 1 Apple product for each category.

Time to do a rephrase;
An Apple A Day, keeps the freebies coming! LOL.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:13   #1490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
They've managed to slot in atleast 1 Apple product for each category.
Which is the major surprise, since they are one of the best critics and bashers as far as apple products are concerned
Old 1st April 2009, 13:59   #1491
BHPian

For all it's shortcomings, windows mobile is a beautiful thing to own. It's a gadget freak's dream come true.

Well for one, there's absolutely no aspect of the interface that you can't skin/modify/REPLACE COMPLETELY with 3rd party interface. So each device is unique, your own. And being a car crazy community, we know what individualism is, right?

Eg- replace your contacts app, dialer app, GPS navigation apps, menu interface,browser,file explorer, soft keyboards, taskbar, task manager, menu bar, battery status, system tools, home screen, and many many more (and YES, to those wondering if I have done all of these, and then some)

Overclock your cpu (Ya, that's right, you can overclock your PDA / winmo phone for better performance, somewhat like TURBOCHARGING your car )

Get a better net experience than iPhone
Don't believe me? Try Skyfire. It renders pages in 4-5 seconds that the iphone takes over 20 seconds to do the same !! And plays youtube videos in the browser itself. No wonder gizmodo and engadget both agree that it puts Safari to shame.

Security: I don't worry much about security, but get this. Obama had to ditch his blackberry to get a windows mobile device once he got to the white house. No kidding !

So at the end of the day, I would say that out of the box, the iPhone is infinitely better to use, but tweaking the Windows platform to your heart's content and ending up with a device that knocks the iPhone out cold in terms of both a SE*Y INTERFACE and FUNCTIONALITY is priceless!

That's why I'm sticking with my trusty winmo for now.

PS: I'm thinking about starting a thread for all Windows mobile users to get the best experience out of their devices. Any takers ? If a good number of people want the same, I could start one ASAP.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:24   #1492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) For all it's shortcomings, windows mobile is a beautiful thing to own. It's a gadget freak's dream come true.
-------------
2) Overclock your cpu (Ya, that's right, you can overclock your PDA / winmo phone for better performance, somewhat like TURBOCHARGING your car )
--------------
3) Get a better net experience than iPhone
Don't believe me? Try Skyfire. It renders pages in 4-5 seconds that the iphone takes over 20 seconds to do the same !! And plays Youtube videos in the browser itself. No wonder gizmodo and engadget both agree that it puts Safari to shame.
-------------
4) Security: I don't worry much about security, but get this. Obama had to ditch his blackberry to get a windows mobile device once he got to the white house. No kidding !
--------------
5) So at the end of the day, I would say that out of the box, the iPhone is infinitely better to use, but tweaking the Windows platform to your heart's content and ending up with a device that knocks the iPhone out cold in terms of both a SE*Y INTERFACE and FUNCTIONALITY is priceless!

6) PS: I'm thinking about starting a thread for all Windows mobile users to get the best experience out of their devices. Any takers ? If a good number of people want the same, I could start one ASAP.
1) Yes this i agree its a beautiful platform and devices are much more cheaper compared to apple. But that doesnt means its better and trouble free.

2) Its nothing great, had done that but i didnt feel anything so remarkable that i wanted to continue with battery drain and possible frying of the chip. Advice for new users: Please be careful before getting into this.

3) Last used in June 08 by me, how is it now? I had a problem with HTC Touch when i installed the first and second beta releases. Would definitely like to hear more on this.

4) What i heard this has more to do with BIS service which can be easily accessed by RIM more than the device itself.

EDIT: More like The security of the devices in question may not matter though, as the main reason for the push for Obama to relinquish his phone has to do with laws about record-keeping and privacy. As it stands, it looks unlikely that Obama will be able to keep any kind of smartphone, but the prospect of an unsecured BlackBerry seems almost impossible.

Googled at Politics: Obama's BlackBerry May Be Replaced With a Giant Windows Mobile Brick

EDIT 2: This is certified by US secret service Product Details - Sectéra® Edge™ Smartphone (SME PED) - Overview LOL

5) iPhone development also has progressed well and is now available if you have the skills of programming. Complete SDK and all the essential API's are also available, if you want it you can build it and then sell it also. So what you have said with tweaks are very much possible in iPhone OS also.

Best part jailbreakers have access to all these within few taps.

6) Definite YES! but stay away from illegal crack and softwares. I know many in here can chip in with some story or other for win mob

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st April 2009 at 14:34.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:34   #1493
capri_cap

Quote:

So at the end of the day, I would say that out of the box, the iPhone is infinitely better to use, but tweaking the Windows platform to your heart's content and ending up with a device that knocks the iPhone out cold in terms of both a SE*Y INTERFACE and FUNCTIONALITY is priceless!

Iphone's user interface as well ios completely customisable.
My iphone interface looks like windows vista, in detail.

There are hundreds of themes and progrmas like winterboard, wbapp, that make the job of skinning your iphone, a matter of 2-3 taps. thats it.

U can change icons, logos, sliders, battery chargers and what not.

And all of this makes it look uber cool.

Winmo although good, iphone OSX is better. (my opinion)

Old 1st April 2009, 20:24   #1494
BHPian

Ok. Here goes.

Quote:
2) Its nothing great, had done that but i didnt feel anything so remarkable that i wanted to continue with battery drain and possible frying of the chip. Advice for new users: Please be careful before getting into this.
Forgot to mention the 'Be careful' part. Thanks.
But i can get away with a 35% overclock on my device, which sure as hell makes a difference ! The electronic components used (read the CPU) has a life of over 10-15 years. If this is reduced a little, who cares ? No one is going to use a phone for more than 5-8 years at the absolute max.

Quote:
3) Last used in June 08 by me, how is it now? I had a problem with HTC Touch when i installed the first and second beta releases. Would definitely like to hear more on this.
I have used it personally, and believe me, the speed is simply astonishing. Over a fast wi-fi connection, it renders pages practically as fast as a full blown computer.

Mobile Browser Showdown: iPhone 3G vs Opera Mobile and SkyFire

This should remove all shadow of doubt.

Quote:
4) What i heard this has more to do with BIS service which can be easily accessed by RIM more than the device itself.

EDIT: More like The security of the devices in question may not matter though, as the main reason for the push for Obama to relinquish his phone has to do with laws about record-keeping and privacy. As it stands, it looks unlikely that Obama will be able to keep any kind of smartphone, but the prospect of an unsecured BlackBerry seems almost impossible.

Googled at Politics: Obama's BlackBerry May Be Replaced With a Giant Windows Mobile Brick

EDIT 2: This is certified by US secret service Product Details - Sectéra® Edge™ Smartphone (SME PED) - Overview LOL
Yes, the record keeping was a factor, but the fact remains that the encryption level required by the NSA was not supported by the BB.

Quote:

5) iPhone development also has progressed well and is now available if you have the skills of programming. Complete SDK and all the essential API's are also available, if you want it you can build it and then sell it also. So what you have said with tweaks are very much possible in iPhone OS also.

Best part jailbreakers have access to all these within few taps.
But there is the question of whether apple will actually let those applications get through it's draconian app selection process. I wonder how so many iFart apps get through and useful ones like streaming media players get left behind.

Quote:
6) Definite YES! but stay away from illegal crack and softwares. I know many in here can chip in with some story or other for win mob
I will start one soon, and will stay away from cracks.

Just one thing though.
Jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone is as illegal as cracking any other software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
Iphone's user interface as well ios completely customisable.
My iphone interface looks like windows vista, in detail.

There are hundreds of themes and progrmas like winterboard, wbapp, that make the job of skinning your iphone, a matter of 2-3 taps. thats it.

U can change icons, logos, sliders, battery chargers and what not.
Exactly my point capri. What you have mentioned is called skinning. Changing the default icons, backgrounds etc.

BUTTTTTTTTTTT

Ever tried changing the interface itself ?? Maybe you want the grid of icons to be replaced with a circular wheel? Maybe you are fed up with sliding the bar to answer the phone ? Maybe you wish to COMPLETELY redesign the entire interface ? You can do all that and more in a winmo device.
Old 1st April 2009, 21:20   #1495
Team-BHP Support

My point of view in BOLD (inline).

Quote:
But i can get away with a 35% overclock on my device, which sure as hell makes a difference ! The electronic components used (read the CPU) has a life of over 10-15 years. If this is reduced a little, who cares ? No one is going to use a phone for more than 5-8 years at the absolute max.

All the very best, its not about reducing life time, its can kill it all together and just like that. i have seen the act!

I have used it personally, and believe me, the speed is simply astonishing. Over a fast wi-fi connection, it renders pages practically as fast as a full blown computer.

Thank you! How is it over GPRS/EDGE?

Mobile Browser Showdown: iPhone 3G vs Opera Mobile and SkyFire

This should remove all shadow of doubt.

Will go through it. Thanks

Yes, the record keeping was a factor, but the fact remains that the encryption level required by the NSA was not supported by the BB.

Very honest personal opinion, i really dont care. It has to work for me and am not Pres of US of A I personally dont rate BB better to anything.

But there is the question of whether apple will actually let those applications get through it's draconian app selection process. I wonder how so many iFart apps get through and useful ones like streaming media players get left behind.

They are doing ok job for now, so am ok with it.

I will start one soon, and will stay away from cracks.

Just one thing though. Jailbreaking/unlocking an iPhone is as illegal as cracking any other software.

Completely agree, mine isnt and i dont recommend also.

Exactly my point capri. What you have mentioned is called skinning. Changing the default icons, backgrounds etc.

BUTTTTTTTTTTT

Ever tried changing the interface itself ??
------
COMPLETELYredesign the entire interface? You can do all that and more in a winmo device.

You mean get some cooked ROM's? have tried it enough and i got bored in a day.

Though cooking yourself should be very involving, unfortunately i dont have that expertize :( AFAIK cooking apple SDK and Adroid are far easier than Win Mob
Am sure everybody is getting bored with this, so can we have it in your new win mob thread.

EDIT: About skyfire this seems to be a good sum up, from the link posted earlier.

Final Thoughts

If I had to choose a winning combination, it would be the Skyfire browser on an iPhone. Skyfire loads pages faster than anything we’ve ever come across, and it’s support for robust Web pages makes us feel like we took our computer’s browser and put it on a 3-inch screen. The biggest sacrifice is that the page is small, and you have to zoom a lot. We love Safari because the iPhone’s touch screen makes the zooming task efficient and easy, but it doesn’t support Flash 9 embedded media or Web sites and it loads every other site slower.

If you’re using a Windows Mobile phone, we highly recommend you get in on the Beta. Skyfire says a Symbian S60 v.3 version will be available later this year.

In short if you are ok with zooming endlessly (original gripe i had with earlier beta) and is stuck to win mob hardware, go ahead. Or buy an iPhone! just kidding!

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st April 2009 at 21:34.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:19   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Am sure everybody is getting bored with this, so can we have it in your new win mob thread.
Point duly noted.

Still can' resist
Some last thoughts. Rest in new thread soon.

1. You saw a phone conking out while being overclocked ? Which one ?

2.Many new windows mobile phones out with 800x480 screens as compared to 480x320 on the iphone. Even better experience (no need to zoom in). Eg- xperia x1, touch HD, touch pro 2, touch diamond 2, many more upcoming models.

I promise, that's it. Shouldn't try to hijack this iPhone thread.
Old 1st April 2009, 23:13   #1497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. You saw a phone conking out while being overclocked ? Which one ?
This O2 XDA Atom pictures, official photos not the very same one, but one bought for around 24k or was it close to 30?? INR used for 3 months and over clocked to death by a geek I was on a Nokia communicator those days.

To be fair to him, it ran for almost a week on turbo mode, dont remember exactly how much the boost was though.

ps: i never knew screen resolution had anything to do with zooming of skyfire?

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st April 2009 at 23:15.
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:02   #1498
BHPian

Why do you have to 'zoom in' while viewing a page on a mobile device ?

Simply because the amount of information to be displayed is more than the screen can handle at one time. Let's say the page is 800 pixels wide, while the mobile device is only 480 pixels wide.

There are two options:
1. Give a scrolling bar to the user
2. Resize the whole page so that the entire page is 'shrunk' to fit the limited resolution. So if your phone has half the resolution required to display the page fully, you would view it at 50%.

Most browsers 'resize' the page first to give an overview of the entire page to the user. The user can then, ofcourse, zoom in to the part of the page he is interested in.

Now 800 pixels is seriously wide ! Most websites are designed to be viewed properly with 800/1024 pixels wide screen. So that's why these newer devices with a higher resolution would be able to give you the entire page width at once, without any need to zoom in further! You can just scroll up or down, or click on whatever you want to.

Hope you got it.

And that O2 you are talking about ran for 3 months just fine, na ?
I have a pretty solid experience overclocking PCs as well (50% overclock (boost ?) on my desktop), and I can tell you one thing. CPU's die a slow death. You would start experiencing random hangs and slowdowns long before the actual death. So if the O2 ran fine for 3 months, I seriously doubt if it was the overclocking that rang the death knell.

@MODS There is no way a newbie can edit his post ! On clicking the edit button, it tells me that no such post exists!. So please excuse this double post.

Note from Support: Merged
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:39   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Lol... The arguments never cease!

Definitely trendsetting - the iPhone - for having started a revolution!
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:40   #1500
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the explanation but unless the screen area improves will improving the resolution alone make a leap difference?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks