Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 11:49   #1471
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ive been using this "iPod with communication assistance" since the midnight it was launched in India, and you are very wrong with this statement.
-------------------
apple on the other hand has Oracle apps as well as electronic flutes running on them. Check the 3.0 launch video and understand where they are taking us and our hard earned cash

enuf of rant

YES.

I truly agree with Jaggu on this one.

The scope that Apple Os offers have left other platforms far behind.

Other platforms dont let you upgrade as Apple does and yes it has a lot of functionality whicch would put mighty communicators from nokia, SE or anyother manufacturer to shame.

Lets wait for Androuid though, which looks promising and offers an open paltform, whioc could raise the bar further for Apple.

Forget other platforms. Most would be left behind.

Old 30th March 2009, 12:13   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
My 4 yr son is using iphone from day of its launch in US. And believe me he uses that and handle it perfectly. No other phone he even dare to touch like this.
Very true. My 3 something daughter is an expert in handling my iPhone. She can handle almost every app of her interest with ease. Well, my MxTube is full of Toms and Jerrys. The only saving grace is that she lets me handle the calls and SMSes.

She has no clue how to handle my wife's Nokia. Those phones are full of keys you see .
Old 30th March 2009, 15:44   #1473
Senior - BHPian

The question is whether I would prefer a gadget that does everything that you expect it to do - in the manner you expect it to. Or would I prefer a gadget that does things as its makers deem and does not do a lot of things that other gadgets have been doing for ages - but has a cool screen and a 'stable OS'.

I am not using an OS - I am using a device for its functionality. Where Apple is today does not meet this requirements regardless of the robustness or otherwise of its OS.

Again, the true test of an OS is in its ability to handle mutiple applications developed by several hundred people - which is what the Windows Mobile and Symbian apps are. The iPhone has been operating in a sort of protected environment where the only apps available are those that its manufacturer approves or makes available to you. I really would like to see how the iPhone stands up to the kind of abuse that WinMo phones are put to, memory leaks or not.

What you guys are suggesting is that I buy a vehicle because it has a terrific engine and some gadgets that do cool but totally irrelevant stuff, but cant do a lot of other things that others in its class do - I beg to disagree, but I am buying a vehicle and not an engine attached to a fancy body.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:53   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Again, the true test of an OS is in its ability to handle mutiple applications developed by several hundred people - which is what the Windows Mobile and Symbian apps are. The iPhone has been operating in a sort of protected environment where the only apps available are those that its manufacturer approves or makes available to you. I really would like to see how the iPhone stands up to the kind of abuse that WinMo phones are put to, memory leaks or not.
What I am having is a jailbroken 2G iPhone, for almost a year now. As you have rightly pointed out, there are quite a few areas where the phone needs attention, an urgent one at that. No denying that.

Since I have jail broken it, I have installed many apps that are not protected by Apple. I do admit that there have been glitches, but I did not find any serious memory leak, or hang. My Safari keeps crashing, that lousy browser. But, nothing else has been bad.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:02   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Since I have jail broken it, I have installed many apps that are not protected by Apple. I do admit that there have been glitches, but I did not find any serious memory leak, or hang. My Safari keeps crashing, that lousy browser. But, nothing else has been bad.
Ditto here - I am currently using a jb/ul iPhone 3G because my HTC got run over by my own wheels in the desert and has a broken battery cover. Performance with non-iTunes apps is painful. Memory usage shows 98% and above most of the time.

I can buy a battery cover for the HTC and if necessary a replacement battery (an even an upgraded battery), but I had to pay through my nose to get a replacement SIM holder for the iPhone after that fell off my running Safari (truck, not browser) - that too from a shop that sells parts off damaged/junked iPhones, and I had to wait 2 months to get this.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th March 2009 at 16:05.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:16   #1476
capri_cap

Quote:
What I am having is a jailbroken 2G iPhone, for almost a year now. As you have rightly pointed out, there are quite a few areas where the phone needs attention, an urgent one at that. No denying that.

Which version of OS are you running your phone on?

Quote:
The question is whether I would prefer a gadget that does everything that you expect it to do - in the manner you expect it to. Or would I prefer a gadget that does things as its makers deem and does not do a lot of things that other gadgets have been doing for ages - but has a cool screen and a 'stable OS'.

I am not using an OS - I am using a device for its functionality. Where Apple is today does not meet this requirements regardless of the robustness or otherwise of its OS.

I would say Apple iphone has been put to much worse abuse in terms of the kind of applications it can run.
(I have been a long term user of o2 mini and o2 atom - winmo) The interface seems too clumsy. (my opinion only)

On the other hand there are people who have managed to port Linux on it and have made it dual boot along with the Apple OSX.

U can customise your iphone like the way you want. you ca add so much customisation that at the end of the day it would feel like a different OS.

Its just not the novelty factor but the utlity that the entire package offers.

Apple has spoilt it by creating their walled app garden.

However jailbreak and you can have unlimited countless apps running on your phone.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2009 at 22:47. Reason: fixing quote issue

Old 30th March 2009, 16:27   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
I can buy a battery cover for the HTC and if necessary a replacement battery (an even an upgraded battery), but I had to pay through my nose to get a replacement SIM holder for the iPhone after that fell off my running Safari (truck, not browser) - that too from a shop that sells parts off damaged/junked iPhones, and I had to wait 2 months to get this.
I guess, its easier here in India to procure "almost" all the parts for a pretty nominal price. Don't know about dxb. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? (if you don't mind quoting the price here.)
Old 30th March 2009, 16:35   #1478
capri_cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
I guess, its easier here in India to procure "almost" all the parts for a pretty nominal price. Don't know about dxb. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay? (if you don't mind quoting the price here.)

could you please let me know where do you get the spares easily in India at a nominal price.

Need a replacement battery for my iphone.

Old 30th March 2009, 17:00   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
Which version of OS are you running your phone on?
I am on 2.1. I do not intend to upgrade to 2.2.1 now, since in another 2-3 months, I get the 3.0 anyway. I am hoping that someone would jail break 3.0.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:01   #1480
BHPian

The dev team has already working on Jailbreaking the 3.0

Quote:
I am on 2.1. I do not intend to upgrade to 2.2.1 now, since in another 2-3 months, I get the 3.0 anyway. I am hoping that someone would jail break 3.0.

Last edited by bobster : 30th March 2009 at 20:02.
Old 30th March 2009, 22:08   #1481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The question is whether I would prefer a gadget that does everything that you expect it to do - in the manner you expect it to.
------------------
I beg to disagree, but I am buying a vehicle and not an engine attached to a fancy body.
First and foremost, Win Mob and Symbian DONT support zillions of working apps, they are minuscule in numbers. I used to have close to 20-30 paid and unpaid stuff in this very laptop (collected over years) for Win Mob and thats it! rest are all plain crap, incomplete or absolute joke. I have roamed many forums, experimented with files and cooked ROM's but i never came across 100's of apps that i can use. XDA forum i still love ya!

Could you tell me what are the 3rd party apps, apart from GPS and navigation software which you use on a daily basis on win mob? Just curious/Maybe am wrong.

I for one would prefer a stable system, since i at times land up doing very important stuff for my work on my phone. Maybe its as simple as an email, but when i lose close to 15 mts of painful type on a win mob device, over some silly memory creep issue, i cant be termed as understanding.

Confusing reference to vehicle, engine and looks. Dont we all break those lines day in day out?

Quote:
What I am having is a jailbroken 2G iPhone,
-------
I do admit that there have been glitches, but I did not find any serious memory leak, or hang. My Safari keeps crashing, that lousy browser. But, nothing else has been bad.
Quote:
Ditto here - I am currently using a jb/ul iPhone 3G because my HTC got run over by my own wheels
----------
that too from a shop that sells parts off damaged/junked iPhones, and I had to wait 2 months to get this.
I think you guys have answered the issue in hand, when you jailbreak, might as well accept the fact that it will have performance issue, but lets be fair in the comparison. I feel iPhone anyday better with issues that a 3rd part app causes, compared to what win mob can throw up once you install something as common as a browser for Win Mob. Unless they have advanced in leaps the last year.

@Steer: again in my part of world i will face similar issues if i bust the cover of my HTC touch or i will have to call and take your help in procuring from DXB Yeah Nokia's i might have a better time with such issues.

IIRC first impression i had with iPhone @ TGIF was disastrous, then i started reading up and joined forums which discuss the OS in more detail and slowly and steadily saw the beauty of the system. There are limitations but those are really minuscule and workable if you ask me. Macrumors is the forum most reliable i rate now. I had similar expectations with Android but so far dissapointed with the their pace.

Oh I hate iTunes, thats a diff story altogether.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th March 2009 at 22:09.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:34   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First and foremost, Win Mob and Symbian DONT support zillions of working apps, they are minuscule in numbers. I used to have close to 20-30 paid and unpaid stuff in this very laptop (collected over years) for Win Mob and thats it! rest are all plain crap, incomplete or absolute joke. I have roamed many forums, experimented with files and cooked ROM's but i never came across 100's of apps that i can use. XDA forum i still love ya!

Could you tell me what are the 3rd party apps, apart from GPS and navigation software which you use on a daily basis on win mob? Just curious/Maybe am wrong.
You couldnt be more wrong if you were to assume that there are just about 20-30 winmo applications around. Perhaps those are the ones you have used, but one should look beyond one's backyard.

Seriously, that question/comment doesnt really merit a response beyond this.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:03   #1483
capri_cap

Quote:
You couldnt be more wrong if you were to assume that there are just about 20-30 winmo applications around. Perhaps those are the ones you have used, but one should look beyond one's backyard.

there are thousands of winmo platform apps.
But how stable are they, plus the interface, can you use it witha single hand.

It juts lacks ease of use.

An interface that supposts one hand use is the best, rather than making you engage both your hands.

Old 31st March 2009, 12:35   #1484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I never said iam right here, i asked to guide me to thousands of working, useful apps, which really make sense to users. Some which you might be using, sharing this info might help others.

ps: 20-30 is what i have come across which i felt is worth downloading and installing. Advice others to intall max of 5 at one shot, since the devices would get full and bog down.

This IS a fundamental problem with win mob platform, however good its functionality is. In effect it kills the whole point of allowing background running of apps on the device.

ps2: i also dont think any merit in taking this discussion further, since somehow am not able to get my point across

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri_cap View Post
there are thousands of winmo platform apps.
But how stable are they, plus the interface, can you use it witha single hand.

It juts lacks ease of use.

An interface that supposts one hand use is the best, rather than making you engage both your hands.
To the first part on apps, Yes numbers are too less, most often very silly stuff (how many weather apps can one use, how many types of keyboards do you need?) There used to be one site which HTC phones itself directed, having links to a ton of apps. But once you take time and go through it, you will land up downloading 10 at the most. Well it takes almost a day to browse through the list lol

Input pleasure, i still love the QWERTY hardware, esp the sliding out ones, we all are used to them more than anything else. Having lived with apple since August, i dont miss harware keypad much, since the apple device also gives good type speed (one hand or with both hands).

EDIT: The whole concept of 3rd party apps has been taken to a whole new level by itunes store (though i hate itunes!), before that it was just hiding inside the vast virtual space of internet. FYI RIM app store is getting launched April 1st, Symbian already has one in the new phones.

When i see these companies copying app store idea, i think its the best form of flattery and appreciation, to the guys sitting in apple headquarters.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st March 2009 at 12:41.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:06   #1485
Senior - BHPian

My friend uses a HTC and he has more than 100+ applications / games installed. He was telling me that one of his friends has a collection of more than 4GB working WinMo Applications.

Whereas if we talk about these applications working on O2 XDA or iMate thats a different story altogether. O2 XDA Mini is the worst WinMo i have ever used.

You cannot really compare iPhone with WinMo. Both excel in their own department.

Though i would anyday prefer a phone with a keypad rather than using fingers. I hate the QWERTY keypad on iPhone. Even Asus P320 small on screen QWERTY is better when i have to type a long SMS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks