Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 15:11   #2221
BHPian

Jassi,
I respect your choice and you, because you have made a choice depending what you need and it was based on facts and what you prefer. My only qualm about a lot of iPhone bashers are out there who dismiss the phone to be crap because they have read it somewhere and haven't had the experience using it. And I have already expressed, my next phone will be an android phone because I want to see how they are built and the positives and negatives of android. I have always wanted to write an app for mobiles (a small app, photography related) and I think it will be a good challenge. I could have gone the apple way to write the app, but their $99 (vs the $25) pushed me away. So, let's see how that comes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i will diagree here. use the timescape to know how good it is. just because the X10 does not support multi touch, does that mean it is poor for web browsing, i dont think so.

if you compare, i would say multi touch is the only feature absent in the X10 compared to the iphone.
That feature my friend is one of the most important features for web browsing. Makes is a whole lot easier. I am so used to multitouch on my laptop as well, that I end up trying to do that often (sub-consciously) on a windows machine.

Quote:
of course, you maybe right. but what i look for in an expensive phone is that - it should just not only get things done, but it should do it in a stylish way!!! the UI of X10 IMO is better as its more fascinating than the iphone's.
Err, how so? I am curious, I did get a chance to play with the X10 at univercell, and I am in the market for an android phone, this info might be useful to me.

Quote:
very true. but when we are comparing the phones here, we wont just take an average user into consideration, right?

totally agree. even i have said i feel its a phone not worth its price, its price in india.
Who is an average user? Tell me how many average users are even aware of Android and their image of G1?

As far as the price goes, is the Sony Xperia X10 justified at 27-30k with Android 1.6? And when there are better options like Milestone, Galaxy S, XT720?

Honestly I have a lot of respect for Sony. They were the first to introduce a camera for a cell phone! First ones to come up with walkman. Even the first Xperia impressed me, but offlate, they are not that good at what they used to do. I seriously hope that they come back with a better phone or atleast a better OS.

Quote:
so i can still safely assume the major contributor is the brand.
A brand represents everything. That's why we have so many people working their backs off to promote a brand. People will remember a product by brand and when they invest in a product, they invest in the product's brand. So, yes, it is about the brand and the trust people have in a particular brand.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:29   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Err, how so? I am curious, I did get a chance to play with the X10 at univercell, and I am in the market for an android phone, this info might be useful to me.
thats something which cannot be described in words! also, it not debatable as it comes down to personal preferences.

Quote:
Who is an average user? Tell me how many average users are even aware of Android and their image of G1?
excatly & thats precisely my point. we are not even discussing keeping an average user in mind.

Quote:
As far as the price goes, is the Sony Xperia X10 justified at 27-30k with Android 1.6? And when there are better options like Milestone, Galaxy S, XT720?
true, with Android 1.6, its not justified but after upgrade to 2.1, it will be.

if you ask why i bought the X10, then my priorities were cam quality, big & sensitive touchscreen & a cool UI & these were found in the X10 & not the iphone. so, it was not the Android which made me buy the X10.

Quote:
A brand represents everything. That's why we have so many people working their backs off to promote a brand. People will remember a product by brand and when they invest in a product, they invest in the product's brand. So, yes, it is about the brand and the trust people have in a particular brand.
okay, for me, i would not give the highest priority to the brand, instead i would look for a phone which gives me the maximum bang for the buck with good reliability & service support. guess not many think like me!
Old 4th August 2010, 15:54   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
most of us use our phone's cam more for pics rather than video. even the difference of video quality of iphone & X10 is just marginal, to be frank.
My dear the picture quality is better too. I hope you know that better picture quality doesnt mean more pixels?

Quote:
true. X10's music player is pathetic, hope they add atleast equalizers in the update! the loudspeaker is so feeble, its practically useless!
Yet the price is almost on par with the iPhone 4 which practically whips the X10 everywhere.

Quote:
i will diagree here. use the timescape to know how good it is. just because the X10 does not support multi touch, does that mean it is poor for web browsing, i dont think so.
I can't even think browsing without multitouch zoom support and more than eye candy its one of the most useful feature in any phone. All the latest Andriods now have it. For all its worth, I think the Samsung Galaxy S is a much better phone when compared to the X10.

Quote:
of course, you maybe right. but what i look for in an expensive phone is that - it should just not only get things done, but it should do it in a stylish way!!! the UI of X10 IMO is better as its more fascinating than the iphone's.
I have used the Android 2.0 in a Motorola Milestone and it wasnt a patch on the IOS4. The Eclair 1.6 is just plain rubbish. Have you ever used an iPhone?

Quote:
very true. but when we are comparing the phones here, we wont just take an average user into consideration, right?
If you keep in mind an average user and a touchscreen phone, there's nothing that can touch the iPhone right now.

Quote:
so i can still safely assume the major contributor is the brand.
Yes only 'YOU' can after all this discussion. As far as maximum bang for the buck is concerned, none does it better than the chinese touch phones but that's not the whole point or is it?
Old 4th August 2010, 15:58   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
true, with Android 1.6, its not justified but after upgrade to 2.1, it will be.
When will we get to see it? . Any date in mind? Apple has always been successful in sticking to their timelines and coming up with better stuff every year.

Quote:
if you ask why i bought the X10, then my priorities were cam quality, big & sensitive touchscreen & a cool UI & these were found in the X10 & not the iphone. so, it was not the Android which made me buy the X10.
Okay, out of curiosity what is the sensor size on X10? I know it is 1/4" on an iPhone 4. It'll be good to see if X10 has a bigger sensor, then I'll accept that X10 has a better camera. Till then, I am sorry, I won't buy your Megapixel count, infact that would make me go away from a phone. And all I hear is talks about better photographs with a phone, I did present a photograph taken by me with an iPhone, haven't seen anyone come back with a better photograph as yet. Big screen I agree, sensitive enough and good UI? Na! If you don't believe me, check this out,

Quote:
But switch to Timescape for your home screen (and let's face it, if you're buying this phone then that's what it's here for) and while you get constant updates on what your friends are doing, you're also lumbered with an annoying UI.
For instance – in this mode you can set four icons at the bottom of the screen to be permanently present, but these oddly take the place of the tab you need to swipe to open up your menu.
Instead you get a teeny little tab in each corner of the bottom of the screen that's nigh-on impossible to hit – we have no idea what Sony Ericsson is doing here, but it's a ridiculous idea and makes you instantly want to switch back to the default Android view.

But if you stick with it, you'll also realise that a) you can't add any icons to the Timescape screen and b) it slows down the menu massively, taking a couple of seconds to load it up.
We've used all the other Android phones on the market at the moment, and this is the first time we've seen one that doesn't manage to open the menu properly.

Read more: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Mobile phones
I mean, with a 1Ghz proccy, couple of seconds to open up the menu, not good my friend, not at all.

Quote:
okay, for me, i would not give the highest priority to the brand, instead i would look for a phone which gives me the maximum bang for the buck with good reliability & service support. guess not many think like me!
If it wasn't the brand, you would have been as happy with a chinese phone as well. And as far as the service and support goes, there's none like apple, trust me on this one. I have so many friends whose iphones were just replaced even for a minor issue without any questions asked. And for maximum bang for the buck, oh yes, Having paid close to aboue 30k, Xperia x10 sure does, by lagging and making you want to bang that phone to the wall .
Old 4th August 2010, 19:05   #2225
Team-BHP Support

Wow so much of discussions going on eh! Let me add my 2 paise worth.

I have been using all sorts of devices and OS's, and i used to change mobiles every 10-12 months since, hmmm college (thats more than 15 years i guess). iPhone is the only exception so far, bought the 3G on the launch date from India and still hanging on to it and waiting for the iPhone 4.

In this period i have flirted with Android and other offerings from Samsung, Nokia and all, but nothing ever came close to the iPhone experience! I wont say iPhone is the best mobile device and it can do everything, NOPE! NOWAY! It has its limitations, but those limitations has never been a deal breaker for me, even without multi tasking in my puny 3G model. BUT nothing comes close to the usability experience, its a league apart and is to be experienced.

Official unlock was the best thing that happened to my 3G and now i use BSNL 3G card to browse, teether etc while travelling. Otherwise i use email E X T E N S I V E L Y (almost 50% of my official email replies are from phone even when am in office, thanks to nature of my job), browse, Facebook, take pictures and chat using my phone. I really don't have any issues with these, especially after push was activated. Only crib would be that the iPhone battery is not as enthusiastic as me.

Do i recommend iPhone to others, yes and no. I check with them what their usage is like and then i recommend Android, BB (RIM), iPhone, Symbian or Win Mob. I think each one of them have their plus's and one needs to accept that and move on.

Till i come back with iPhone 4, when this happens if someone is looking at an officially unlocked 3G let me know or maybe not
Old 4th August 2010, 21:43   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
My dear the picture quality is better too. I hope you know that better picture quality doesnt mean more pixels?
hmmm, i found the X10's to be much better.

Quote:
Yet the price is almost on par with the iPhone 4 which practically whips the X10 everywhere.
not really! just because of the music player, i dont think so!

Quote:
I can't even think browsing without multitouch zoom support and more than eye candy its one of the most useful feature in any phone. All the latest Andriods now have it. For all its worth, I think the Samsung Galaxy S is a much better phone when compared to the X10.
well, i have been easily managing it without multi touch, so no issues on that.

but i do agree that SE should have provided it at this price range & its really foolish of them not to do so.

Quote:
I have used the Android 2.0 in a Motorola Milestone and it wasnt a patch on the IOS4. The Eclair 1.6 is just plain rubbish. Have you ever used an iPhone?
read my first post. i have!

Quote:
If you keep in mind an average user and a touchscreen phone, there's nothing that can touch the iPhone right now.
well i consider myself as an average user & its the X10 which clicker for me. Samsung came really close but not the iphone.

Quote:
Yes only 'YOU' can after all this discussion.
First of all, chill buddy. dont get so over anxious!

so what if i am not convinced yet? does that bother you in anyway, i dont think so. so

Quote:
As far as maximum bang for the buck is concerned, none does it better than the chinese touch phones but that's not the whole point or is it?
i mentioned reliability and after sales too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
When will we get to see it? . Any date in mind? Apple has always been successful in sticking to their timelines and coming up with better stuff every year.
Android 2.1 has released in India & UK.

Quote:
Okay, out of curiosity what is the sensor size on X10? I know it is 1/4" on an iPhone 4. It'll be good to see if X10 has a bigger sensor, then I'll accept that X10 has a better camera. Till then, I am sorry, I won't buy your Megapixel count, infact that would make me go away from a phone.
Sorry, no idea. as i said, i am an average user.

Quote:
And all I hear is talks about better photographs with a phone, I did present a photograph taken by me with an iPhone, haven't seen anyone come back with a better photograph as yet.
have uploaded a few below. please note these pics were taken in normal mode with no inputs from my side at all & not at with an aim to show the cam's quality. but i am sure you will find yours to be better. i find the ones i posted better in quality.

Quote:
Big screen I agree, sensitive enough and good UI? Na! If you don't believe me, check this out,
Big screen translates to fun watching movies/vids.

Its very very responsive & sensitive, this is what my colleague told me whose being using an iphones since ages. of course, i know it does not matter to you.

strangely, i have never faced any lag. whatever bugs i have faced, i have posted them this thread.

so the day i face some issues, i will very dutifully report it over here & then i would surely say the UI is bad.

Quote:
I mean, with a 1Ghz proccy, couple of seconds to open up the menu, not good my friend, not at all.
use one yaar, i am sure you wont notice it.

Quote:
If it wasn't the brand, you would have been as happy with a chinese phone as well. And as far as the service and support goes, there's none like apple, trust me on this one. I have so many friends whose iphones were just replaced even for a minor issue without any questions asked.
of course, i can trust you. apple maybe good but then i have not experienced SE's service till now, so no comments.

Quote:
And for maximum bang for the buck, oh yes, Having paid close to aboue 30k, Xperia x10 sure does, by lagging and making you want to bang that phone to the wall .
not really! as i said, no lags on my phone, so i am enjoying it.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-dsc_0080.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-dsc_0081.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th August 2010 at 22:02.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:17   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Android 2.1 has released in India & UK.
Nope, not on Xperia X10. It will be released only in Q4.

Quote:

Sorry, no idea. as i said, i am an average user.

have uploaded a few below. please note these pics were taken in normal mode with no inputs from my side at all & not at with an aim to show the cam's quality. but i am sure you will find yours to be better. i find the ones i posted better in quality.
No arguments on that one . As you said, we might each find our photos better.

Quote:
Big screen translates to fun watching movies/vids.

Its very very responsive & sensitive, this is what my colleague told me whose being using an iphones since ages. of course, i know it does not matter to you.

strangely, i have never faced any lag. whatever bugs i have faced, i have posted them this thread.

so the day i face some issues, i will very dutifully report it over here & then i would surely say the UI is bad.

use one yaar, i am sure you wont notice it.
I have had a chance to use one recently, did see some issues of lag. If you're not facing them, you must have a good copy :P.

Quote:
of course, i can trust you. apple maybe good but then i have not experienced SE's service till now, so no comments.

not really! as i said, no lags on my phone, so i am enjoying it.
My sis has a SE phone and when she went to get something repaired, they quoted a HUGE price for it, much much more than the phone itself. So, yeah, it kinda put me off. I'd think thrice before I put my money in a SE phone.

As long as you are enjoying it, it's all cool. I have had a good discussion here and to be frank, I have made my points, don't have anything else to present. And as Jassi put it earlier, each to his own. Have fun with your phone .
Old 4th August 2010, 23:03   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
And no i am not a phone gamer (just ps3) - just saying phones need flash. The Youtube app on nexus one is now redundant, it was there for when there was no flash support. I can play Youtube, hulu, bbc iplayer videos, goto flash based internet radio sites and it all works from my browser - i don't need an app for everything, its a web enabled world and the browser is my client if i want it that way (agree apps are needed to make experience better in some cases) - yes even for cloud apps like salesforce or webex. Apple needs to be slightly more accepting to whats needed by consumers and just give it, i remember how their bluetooth could not be used for bluetooth transfers, or how itunes bought media is so restrictive when amazon offers drm free music.
As far as youtube is concerned, even iPhone youtube app is redundant now, google recently launched youtube with HTML5 which works very well on iPhone safari browser. In fact it's a lot better than the lousy youtube app on iPhone.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 4th August 2010 at 23:06.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:49   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
As far as Youtube is concerned, even iPhone Youtube app is redundant now, google recently launched Youtube with HTML5 which works very well on iPhone safari browser. In fact it's a lot better than the lousy Youtube app on iPhone.
agreed but i don't see flash being replaced with html5 for everything - look at the example videos i posted above on this page. And my point was its impossible to have apps for everything you want, especially if you can just visit something using a flash based browser
Old 5th August 2010, 09:51   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
agreed but i don't see flash being replaced with html5 for everything - look at the example videos i posted above on this page. And my point was its impossible to have apps for everything you want, especially if you can just visit something using a flash based browser
Eventually it may or may not. Or what may happen is the HTML5 and Flash version of the websites, atleast the one's that matter.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:33   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have and goes without saying that iPhone is better, much better. X10 doesn't even support music equalizers.
I found audio quality of my Sony w580i better than my iphone 2g and 3gs.

I haven't heard how x10 sounds so no comments.

When audio/video quality is a TOP priority, it makes sense to get a walkman phone. That's why i am hanging onto w580i. Even after 3 years i found it quite good especially when used with a good IEM.

Also, i found picture quality of my c905a better than my iphone 2g & 3gs. Haven't tried video in either of them. That is why i am hanging onto c905a dearly. Just recently, i used it for a car show, here is the link for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...road-show.html

I keep interchanging and sharing the four phones with my girlfriend depending on various factors like location, time and usage.

I am waiting for September, thats when i am gonna get iphone 4, so mostly i will dump 2-3 phones of the lot and possibly retain one of them.

Last edited by chevelle : 5th August 2010 at 16:38.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:41   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I found audio quality of my Sony w580i better than my iphone 2g and 3gs.

I haven't heard how x10 sounds so no comments.

When audio/video quality is a TOP priority, it makes sense to get a walkman phone. That's why i am hanging onto w580i. Even after 3 years i found it quite good especially when used with a good IEM.

Also, i found picture quality of my c905a better than my iphone 2g & 3gs. Haven't tried video in either of them. That is why i am hanging onto c905a dearly. Just recently, i used it for a car show, here is the link for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...road-show.html

I keep interchanging and sharing the four phones with my girlfriend depending on various factors like location, time and usage.

I am waiting for September, thats when i am gonna get iphone 4, so mostly i will dump 2-3 phones of the lot and possibly retain one of them.
Which IEM's do you use by the way? I use Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro and can tell you that no Sony Ericsson can come anyway near to the 3GS in quality.
In anycase the Audio Playback is subjective so whats good for you may not be good for me but see the hard numbers and see the frequency response graph, there is nothing that can touch the iPhone 3GS right now.

As far as picture quality is concerned, let me put it this way - mu iPhone 3GS click as good 3.2 MP images as any camera phone out there. The iPhone 4 with is back illuminated sensor is better. If you dont believe me see the reviews.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:02   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which IEM's do you use by the way? I use Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro and can tell you that no Sony Ericsson can come anyway near to the 3GS in quality.
In anycase the Audio Playback is subjective so whats good for you may not be good for me but see the hard numbers and see the frequency response graph, there is nothing that can touch the iPhone 3GS right now.

As far as picture quality is concerned, let me put it this way - mu iPhone 3GS click as good 3.2 MP images as any camera phone out there. The iPhone 4 with is back illuminated sensor is better. If you dont believe me see the reviews.
Yes sound quality is subjective. I use 2 IEM - Primary is Thinksound Rain and secondary is CX-300. Even after using equalizer on both, i found sony to be better. May be i am bass head that's why.

I am seriously hoping iphone 4 is better in picture quality which will help me give away atleast 2 of the 4 phones i have.

I am listing out somethings i dislike and like about iphone 2g/3gs. You can counter attack me if you want to

- Design - Its great. especially 3gs.
- UI, enough said.
- Apps
- love the browser
- 3gs is faster than 2g.
- 3gs takes better photos than 2g
- 3gs lighter than 2g and c905a

Dislike

- Junk earphones
- Proprietary adapter
- itunes (have to convert all videos to mp4,mov. so to watch some movie i spend time just converting it to right format), and don't like using itunes all the while to sync music. i use vlc and media player more.
- no cam for video chats ,skype. iphone4 tries but needs wi-fi and iphone4.
- no adobe flash thats used by countless websites.
- no memory card slot/no upgrade possible. i am full with 8gb. so am restricted.
- unremovable battery
- no file transfer from other software. have to install itunes. i prefer drag and drop.
- no flash with camera. no shutter to protect camera from.
- copy paste is a mess.
- hate the battery life.
- no radio. i know apps available. but still fm radio should be there.
- the bluetooth mess

P.S: I haven't upgraded to OS4. So don't flame me for some features that i may have mentioned are available already. AND sorry for long post

Last edited by chevelle : 5th August 2010 at 17:05.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:44   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
For audio quality, I can vouch for Walkman series of Sony Ericsson (IMO Xperia is not walkman series). I have compared my w550i with many iPods (using same song) and the w550i feels much better. My friends having iPods agree too. Not sure about the iPhone but I guess it should be same as iPod.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:14   #2235
BHPian

Guys help me, I have iphone 4 with me and want to unlock it. iclarified says you need to jailbroke it first, for that I need to activate the phone, but I don't have any AT&T connection with me, then how to go about it anyone tried.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks