Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 19:49   #691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am confused, should I wait for airtel or buy an unlocked phone from the US ?
Ajmat, I'd advice you to wait and see how the iPhone is launched in India. Unlocked/older models will have a higher price now, than ever before. After July 11, it should some down a bit, hopefully.

If you are getting a phone from the US, I'd advice you to get the new iPhone. Get that and cancel after one month. But best thing to do is wait.
Old 7th July 2008, 19:54   #692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am confused, should I wait for airtel or buy an unlocked phone from the US ?
Same question am researching on now, hopefully will be able to update you on time. There is no clarity on the unlocking of 3G iPhone right now and hence proceed with caution.

srijit: the one month plan is just a wild idea, nobody is sure if they can really implement it since the news has spread like wild fire on net and apple would play smart. Also for a foreigner to procure an iPhone in US will be a pain, unless your friend/family is ready to sign up for the one month for the phone.

Better bet is to wait for unlock to be published, and ebay to sell em.

2g iPhone going at 18-22k INR right now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th July 2008 at 19:58.
Old 7th July 2008, 20:48   #693
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the USA but in the UK you now have to sign up for a contract if you want an iphone (3g launching in a few days). In the past you could just buy the phone and there was no contract. The contract was done via itunes but as we all know it was not hard to overcome this and unlock the iphone.
Old 7th July 2008, 21:15   #694
BHPian

It would be the same way in India also. Contract would be there on the Iphone purchase and I suppose it would be for a year!

Will try and chew my friends at Vodafone for some info on this and update you guys before 10th.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:18   #695
BHPian

@Jaggu, I agree. Wait for the iPhone to be released, at least in the US before buying an old one.
The one month thing that everyone is harping about is the standard time that AT&T has for termination of a contract (I think). It is not applicable in all countries.
But why would you limit yourself to the US. I think Germany is the most attractive place to buy iPhones now
The iPhone Thread-iphoneplans.jpg

Courtesy: Ars Technica
Old 8th July 2008, 12:36   #696
Team-BHP Support

Hate em!

Yup cheaper plans are available in other countries, but who will procure it, obviously a foreigner passing by will not be able to go and pick up a phone with plan. Thats the hick up, even hackers are getting frustrated and one of them has recently updated in his blog.

So far left with no choice but to wait, hopefully some wise man/woman will crack the sales process and sell somewhere.

Apple and its bloody ways Sure they would have better market share if they dont resort to such stupidity atleast now, since the required hype was already created with version 1 fiasco.

ps: if someone come across a source please post

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th July 2008 at 13:03. Reason: ***
Old 8th July 2008, 13:51   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
It would be the same way in India also. Contract would be there on the Iphone purchase and I suppose it would be for a year!

Will try and chew my friends at Vodafone for some info on this and update you guys before 10th.
Apple screwed up big time in the UK by insisting that the contract be done via itunes. I myself bought one for £169 and never bothered to sign up for a contract and instead unlocked it.

Looks like Apple and O2 have learnt from this in the UK and now contracts will have to be taken out instore.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:58   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

What do the current iPhone owners think about this? Are you guys planning to shift over to the new one once it's launched here?

I am not sure what the resale price of the iPhone non-3g now is, but i wouldn't mind putting 2000-3000max over the price i get on my iPhone to get the 3g.
I mean how different is it really? Considering 3g is functionality is still useless in India.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th July 2008 at 13:59.
Old 8th July 2008, 15:33   #699
Team-BHP Support

If you can chuck the 3G and full GPS function (you still have location function through Google map working in 2G), nothing much you are gonna miss. You just need to update to Ver 2 update once its hacked

Then there is the matter of better battery and voice clarity which i really dont think differs that much.

Is it really worth the price and hassle, NO!
Old 8th July 2008, 15:37   #700
BHPian

IMO, its not really worth upgrading to the 3G version, unless you absolutely need GPS or your battery life is down the drain, or if you want a bigger disk space. I would use my old one till there is one with a 5MP camera and a 32/64Gb disk. But that is my view
Old 8th July 2008, 16:40   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

I really dont care about GPS or larger disk space. But what has been bothering me off late is the battery life... it lasts me a day max ! And with wifi its a complete nightmare!
How much better is the battery life on the 3g?
Also any news on when 3g services would start on Vodafone mumbai?
Old 8th July 2008, 16:44   #702
BHPian

3G in India can only start if the Govt. issues the necessary licenses and given the sword hanging on the Govt. and the Indo-US Nuclear Deal, 3G would be the last thing on the minds of the Govt. I think 3G will now only come in late next year after the general elections.
Old 8th July 2008, 16:45   #703
Senior - BHPian

It seems that the pick-in-store-only rule has been cancelled in UK, as O2 announced online pre-ordering for the iPhone3G. As of today, July 7th, O2 UK starts accepting pre-orders for the highly-awaited device, which will be officially released on the July 11th.

The iPhone Thread-big.jpg

Currently, the O2 online store is not yet fully operational, but some big banners indicate the general conditions about the iPhone online ordering. Users can choose a tariff online during the ordering process, sign the 18-month contract online and a courier will deliver the device at their address for free as soon as the iPhone 3G becomes available. Oh, there's one more thing - only one iPhone 3G per order, please.

User who opt for this online option, will have to activate the iPhone by themselves by connecting online via iTunes on their personal computers - think the first-gen iPhone way.

We remind you that the O2 special iPhone tariffs start from 30 GBP a month with the iPhone 3G priced at 99 GBP for the 8GB variety and 159 GBP for the 16GB one. If you pick the 45 GBP tariff, you'll get the 8GB one for free, while getting the 16GB one for free requires that you sign up for the 75 GBP monthly tariff.

Some interesting news is that O2 will only offer black 3G iPhones - not that anyone should seriously consider the white one if you ask us.

Here's the official O2 iPhone tariff table:
The iPhone Thread-tariff.jpg

(Source)
Old 8th July 2008, 17:51   #704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It seems that the pick-in-store-only rule has been cancelled in UK, as O2 announced online pre-ordering for the iPhone3G. As of today, July 7th, O2 UK starts accepting pre-orders for the highly-awaited device, which will be officially released on the July 11th.
O2 withdrew the pre-order after their site crashed due to unexpected hits for booking, now they will process only in store purchase, atleast for the time being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
3G in India can only start if the Govt. issues the necessary licenses and given the sword hanging on the Govt. and the Indo-US Nuclear Deal, 3G would be the last thing on the minds of the Govt. I think 3G will now only come in late next year after the general elections.
On the contrary if the govt survives the no confidence motion, things might move very fast. Good part from the disclaimers on Airtel and Vodafone site one can make out they will go ahead with the launch without a wait for 3G

Battery life is supposed to be 10hr Talk time in 2G and 5hr in 3G mode according to apple site. To add if one uses wifi and browsing for long, battery time will be substantially reduced in any hardware. My HTC runs for 3-4 days if i use phone only, moment i switch ON wifi and browse it comes down to 1-1.5 days.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th July 2008 at 17:56.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:51   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What do the current iPhone owners think about this? Are you guys planning to shift over to the new one once it's launched here?

I am not sure what the resale price of the iPhone non-3g now is, but i wouldn't mind putting 2000-3000max over the price i get on my iPhone to get the 3g.
I mean how different is it really? Considering 3g is functionality is still useless in India.
I got rid of mine after a few days and got a HTC Kaiser, there is not much to the iphone and I thought it was the most overated phone of all time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks