Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
3,513,218 views Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 19:54   #15526
Senior - BHPian
 
ruzbehxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MH02 to MH46
Posts: 1,542
Thanked: 5,849 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

This is what I saw at Hamad International airport in Doha, Qatar. A fully gold IPhone 14 Pro max 1TB.

The iPhone Thread-8533813f40c644be8aef7fda2e875526.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-c251b923132c4369b1003088a3a1b0c3.jpeg

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 5th March 2023 at 20:00.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:40   #15527
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 757
Thanked: 478 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is exactly why I am trying to get hold of one. Only Apple has the good & compact phones.
This is exactly the reason last year I got the 12mini 64GB version. However its battery life was the biggest concern as I am a single phone user with no additional/backup phone. Hence took the hard decision to trade it while still under warranty for the iphone13 128GB version.

I had paid approx. 38K for the 12mini a year back and got 23k as exchange value. I got the iphone13 128GB for approx. 39k post exchange! Quite a good deal I guess...
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:57   #15528
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 15,594
Thanked: 15,313 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is exactly the reason last year I got the 12mini 64GB version. However its battery life was the biggest concern as I am a single phone user with no additional/backup phone.
Let me guess - you do use the phone for many an app. This would mean lot of screen time, and hence the insufficient battery capacity ?
condor is offline  
Old 6th March 2023, 14:16   #15529
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-saan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 7,117
Thanked: 11,822 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Let me guess - you do use the phone for many an app. This would mean lot of screen time, and hence the insufficient battery capacity ?
12 miniís battery backup was pathetic; 13 mini is much better in that aspect. For a heavy user, it still may need a shot of charge late afternoon/evening, but the chances of the phone going dead by afternoon is very less.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:38   #15530
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 15,594
Thanked: 15,313 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
12 miniís battery backup was pathetic; 13 mini is much better in that aspect..
From what I heard, the newer chip in the 13 mini helps this.

As mentioned in prev posts, I am considering getting a mini soon, before they run out completely. Your point definitely helps.
( I have been using my SE with it's 1624 mAh battery, managing one charge a day till recently. So hopefully I will not be troubled by the 32xx mAh battery on the mini's)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:52   #15531
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 757
Thanked: 478 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Let me guess - you do use the phone for many an app. This would mean lot of screen time, and hence the insufficient battery capacity ?
Nope, the usual office emails, twitter, facebook sometimes and that's it. Screentime not more than 4 to 5 hours...
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 16:11   #15532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: --
Posts: 3,496
Thanked: 7,007 Times

Amazon has dropped the 13 (128gb) price to ~60k (a rupee less, in typical fashion), if anybody is interested. A further discount of 1,500 is available to BoB credit card users.

Amazon was holding the price steady at 60,900 for the past week or so. None of the physical stores (Reliance, Croma etc.) have it for anything less than ~63k. The best offline quote I got was from Vijay Sales for 62.5k, and some loyalty points.

Thinking of ordering it from Amazon (seller is Appario Retail) as estimated delivery time for a few colors is less than a day.

Edit: Ordered the Blue one and received in about ~4 hrs. It was a gift to someone. During the setup I noticed, one can now also transfer WhatsApp chats in the Transfer to iOS android app.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2023 at 23:07. Reason: As requested
Dry Ice is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 10:17   #15533
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 11,471
Thanked: 13,107 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

First time ever I am facing a minor issue with an iPhone.

I'm encountering a "Face ID" issue with my phone since last couple of days.

It just won't recognize my face at all (Before someone asks me, nope I am not wearing make-up nor a face-pack )

Each time, I have to type the 6-digit passcode which is such an irritant.

I am running the latest OS- 16.3.1.

Anyone facing similar issues? Any resolution for this issue?
mobike008 is offline  
Old 10th March 2023, 10:52   #15534
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 25
Thanked: 76 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
First time ever I am facing a minor issue with an iPhone.

I'm encountering a "Face ID" issue with my phone since last couple of days.

It just won't recognize my face at all (Before someone asks me, nope I am not wearing make-up nor a face-pack )

Each time, I have to type the 6-digit passcode which is such an irritant.

I am running the latest OS- 16.3.1.

Anyone facing similar issues? Any resolution for this issue?
Have you tried to Reset Face ID? That might help although Face ID failure usually point towards hardware issue.

If the Face ID reset doesnít work, probably you can reset/restore the device and see if that helps else you might need to visit Apple Service Center. All the best.
AbhishekNigam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:28   #15535
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,757
Thanked: 3,854 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

So I bought two of USB-C Belkin branded cables from one of my apartment residents who claimed he had bought it from the US. This was one of those silicon finished cables which seemed abuse friendly. However, my wife’s iphone 13 pro max started showing signs of heating. Then on my iphone 12 i was getting a warning message that the phone has stopped charging because of heating.

I have usually stuck to iphone OEM cables and they are not even USB-C, I just thought the belkin cables would be faster and plus more abuse friendly and have now ended up losing Rs.1000/- for 2 of these belkin cables. Either these cables are fake or Belkin has simply made some bad ones.

Going to just stick to OEM ones now, i actually have too many of these lying with me, courtesy Airpods, apple tv remote etc. So maybe just keep replacing them as and when they get damaged.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:29   #15536
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-saan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 7,117
Thanked: 11,822 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I'm encountering a "Face ID" issue with my phone since last couple of days.

Anyone facing similar issues? Any resolution for this issue?
Not making fun of the issue, but happy that someone else is on the same boat

Noticed that non-face-recognition with my daughter’s 13 Pro Max (assume you have the same model). Tried a face id reset, and then removal of the screen protector ($15 lost for putting on a new one later), and as a last resort did a full factory reset of the phone. None of those worked, and now she is using the phone with a 4-digit pin. I am not sure if it’s an issue with the latest 16.3.1 update; other iPhone models in the household (13 mini, 14 Pro Max) doesn’t have this problem. Need to check through some of the support forums over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Going to just stick to OEM ones now
Good decision. I think it could be an Apple ploy to discourage users from going with non-OEM / Apple-approved accessories. I see a difference in charging speed when I used the Apple USB-C to lightening cable with Samsung 25w charging brick v/s Apple’s own 20w charger – the latter is faster.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th March 2023 at 13:39. Reason: Additional comment
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 13:59   #15537
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Searched on google with "Face id 16.3.1" and found some user complaints.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254644850

There are some posts on reddit as well.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 10th March 2023 at 14:01.
sdp1975 is offline  
Old 10th March 2023, 14:00   #15538
BHPian
 
boniver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 637
Thanked: 3,159 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
However, my wifeís iphone 13 pro max started showing signs of heating. Then on my iphone 12 i was getting a warning message that the phone has stopped charging because of heating.
I use the OEM lightning cable and brick for my 13 Mini, and get the same error where the phone stops charging due to excess heat. The battery health also reduced from 100% to 97% over just 4 days. Since then I've been using a Portronics braided cable with an old Samsung brick, and although the phone charges slowly (not an issue for me as I WFH), it hasn't overheated and my battery health has remained constant at 97%.
boniver is offline  
Old 10th March 2023, 15:57   #15539
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-saan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 7,117
Thanked: 11,822 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

For those who are interested in the battery backup of the 13 Mini - below is a screenshot from today - from 100% to 20%, with a screen on-time of 7+ hours.

The iPhone Thread-img_9907.png
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 16:14   #15540
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,617
Thanked: 3,644 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It just won't recognize my face at all (Before someone asks me, nope I am not wearing make-up nor a face-pack
Tim Cook had better increase our commission after this irritant to an important member of their promotion force

mobike008 try these steps and see if things work for you. Seems many are reporting this issue, if it doesn’t work you may probably need to wait till Apple releases the next update. I believe 16.4 is in beta 3 testing at the moment, so maybe the update may come by end March.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/iphone-...orking-update/

Let us know if this works.

Cheers

Thank you vb-san, something got messed up with the quote tags.

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th March 2023 at 16:18. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Cyborg is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks