Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
  Search this Thread
3,915,821 views
Old 11th March 2024, 08:51   #16291
BHPian
 
dragonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: TVM/DEN
Posts: 50
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
In my experience over 3 iPhones, this was a bad idea. And this was in Dubai, Singapore and India.
Thanks for the confirmation. May I know what happened after the battery swap? Did the new battery have a lower capacity? Or did those batteries degrade fast?

Also, anybody here did battery replacement from Cashify? Did you get an "original" battery? And does the battery settings show it as a original/fake battery?

Also, anybody has an experience exchanging their iPhone having <80% battery health in Flipkart? Do they reject the device or reduce exchange price due to <80% battery health?
dragonfire is offline  
Old 11th March 2024, 09:09   #16292
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,152
Thanked: 4,588 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Am also interested in knowing the effect of battery replacement. My iPhone 11 just dropped to 79% last month and looking at a battery replacement next month.

Have no interest in replacing the phone itself for another 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
And does the battery settings show it as a original/fake battery?
This part am aware. Original batteries show the actual battery health, others will keep showing 100% all the time This is the easiest giveaway, and it won't corroborate the age of the phone.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 12:08   #16293
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 3,697
Thanked: 11,490 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

The battery went out of juice really fast. It even degrades faster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. May I know what happened after the battery swap? Did the new battery have a lower capacity? Or did those batteries degrade fast?
Sebring is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 15:00   #16294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 904
Thanked: 2,411 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
May I know what happened after the battery swap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The battery went out of juice really fast. It even degrades faster
+1

Have experienced the same with IP 7 , with original battery replaced at Apple SC.

Interestingly , the Apple SC themselves claim that the replaced battery will perform well upto 1 year max!

Having said that , the phone does regain it's performance in day-to-day usage like app opening , basic usage , etc. The improvement in battery life is marginal though which soon fades away.

The battery health too drops much faster than the 'original' battery the phone came with from the factory.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 11th March 2024 at 15:01.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 15:47   #16295
BHPian
 
IamNikhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Apple wants to subtly convey the message that since your phone's original battery has gone for a toss, you should make the conscious choice of upgrading your phone instead.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:14   #16296
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,152
Thanked: 4,588 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
the phone does regain it's performance in day-to-day usage like app opening , basic usage , etc. The improvement in battery life is marginal though which soon fades away.
Thanks. This is the input am looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Apple wants to subtly convey the message that since your phone's original battery has gone for a toss, you should make the conscious choice of upgrading your phone instead.
I've been a Samsung flagship user 2010-2017 and in the family till 2019. None lasted till battery replacement or 4 calendar years. Even with 79% health, the performance isn't so bad. My Samsungs were holding for their dear life at this point in time of ownership.

Am ok to spend 9450 for a 1.5-2 years of additional life than invite a surprise spend for 80K at this point.

I would like to squeeze the daylights out of every Apple device I buy

There is a second stage of forcing an upgrade too, planned obsolescence of apps. I see them in my 12 year old Macbook Pro.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:35   #16297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 170 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

I have been using 13 pro since last 1.5 years and I love the phone but the battery life could have been better. My battery health is at 81% currently and I have started experiencing some lag too. I like the 15 pro but it’s doesn’t scream me to upgrade to it.
Will replacing the battery be sufficient enough to be done with these lag issues? And if anyone has opted for it has their battery life improved in a considerable way?
Please share your insights.
Thanks
Jatin247 is offline  
Old 11th March 2024, 18:02   #16298
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 904
Thanked: 2,411 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I've been a Samsung flagship user 2010-2017 and in the family till 2019. None lasted till battery replacement or 4 calendar years. Even with 79% health, the performance isn't so bad. My Samsungs were holding for their dear life at this point in time of ownership.
I 100% agree with you. I too made a switch to iPhone from android back in 2017 with the iPhone 7 and there was looking back.

Infact , my wife just got the S23 , and that too isn't a match to my 3+ year old 12 Pro.

I understand that the S23 isn't quite a flagship as the S23 Ultra. But I was expecting it to still do better than a 3+ year old iPhone.

Quote:
Am ok to spend 9450 for a 1.5-2 years of additional life than invite a surprise spend for 80K at this point.


I would like to squeeze the daylights out of every Apple device I buy
Just to give a perspective , I had replaced the battery of my iPhone 7 after using it for 3.5 years ; than used it as a primary device for another year.

And now I am using the same phone with the replaced battery as a secondary phone for over 3 years. Gives ~ 2 hours of SOT , charging it once.

7 years and counting..

I simply don't want to let go the 7 due to it's slim form factor and ease of usability.
ashvek3141 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 13:37   #16299
BHPian
 
dragracer567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: BAH / MCT
Posts: 955
Thanked: 5,092 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

I have a quick question for the BHPians here.

I've seen using iPhones since the iPhone 4, upgrading to the 7, 11 and now have a 15 Pro. I always use a bumper case and a solid screen guard for all my phone given that I'm of the clumsy kind and I drop my phone atleast once every 2 days.

Now, my friend who'd bought an iPhone 14 Pro Max last year got a camera lens protector for his phone (I didn't even know such a thing existed), so after a couple of months of buying my 15 Pro, I got these installed. But I noticed that there has been a very slight perceptible reduction in the camera quality and focusing takes maybe 1/4th of a second more. I just want to confirm if this is just in my head because I was told this would happen or if these lens protectors actually reduces the camera quality ever so slightly. Further, is there a need for these protectors anyway? My phone case is raised around the camera area such that the camera lens would never hit the floor directly unless something is protruding (like if the phone falls back first on a rock).
dragracer567 is offline  
Old 19th March 2024, 13:53   #16300
BHPian
 
ex-innova-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
But I noticed that there has been a very slight perceptible reduction in the camera quality and focusing takes maybe 1/4th of a second more. I just want to confirm if this is just in my head because I was told this would happen or if these lens protectors actually reduces the camera quality ever so slightly.
This is true. Learnt it the hard way when I dropped my iPhone. It didn’t have any damage but the lens protector cracked since it protrudes out more than the case.

The iPhone Thread-img_7021.jpeg
Glare because of cracked lens protector.

The iPhone Thread-img_7023.jpeg
After removing the lens protector.

Note: Both pictures were taken couple of minutes apart.

Quote:
Further, is there a need for these protectors anyway? My phone case is raised around the camera area such that the camera lens would never hit the floor directly unless something is protruding (like if the phone falls back first on a rock).
I never installed it again because it will always crack when you drop it and a sturdy case always helps.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 23:47   #16301
BHPian
 
AJ56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 611
Thanked: 2,343 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatin247 View Post
I have been using 13 pro since last 1.5 years and I love the phone but the battery life could have been better. My battery health is at 81% currently and I have started experiencing some lag too. I like the 15 pro but itís doesnít scream me to upgrade to it.
Will replacing the battery be sufficient enough to be done with these lag issues? And if anyone has opted for it has their battery life improved in a considerable way?
Please share your insights.
Thanks
15 pros arenít worth it if youíre already on the 13 pro, not enough of an upgrade. Iíd say wait for the 16 pros.

Yes a new battery will eliminate any lag. My 13 pro max is 2.5 years old, at 85% battery health with over a 1000 cycles on the original battery. Zero lag and zero drop in Geekbench performance scores (have actually improved since day 1.)

iOS 17.4 is quite smooth so Iíd say itís your battery not being able to supply enough voltage for certain tasks/animations. Run a full diagnostic if you want at an Apple Store. Pros have never had adequate battery life for my use, always stick to the pro max for the bigger battery.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 23:58   #16302
BHPian
 
IamNikhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 2,772 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Apple has rolled-out iOS 17.4.1
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 10:44   #16303
BHPian
 
Oppanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: KA05
Posts: 154
Thanked: 353 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Apple has rolled-out iOS 17.4.1
Just got my iPhone 14 updated to this version. Completing a year on 9th April and battery is at 96% now.

It was at 98% for long and with the last update it dropped to 97% and within a week to 96%

Hoping there would not be any sudden drop in % as the phone is completing an year with 229 cycles.

Last edited by Oppanna : 25th March 2024 at 11:07.
Oppanna is offline  
Old 25th March 2024, 14:19   #16304
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Goa
Posts: 904
Thanked: 2,411 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Just got my iPhone 14 updated to this version. Completing a year on 9th April and battery is at 96% now.

It was at 98% for long and with the last update it dropped to 97% and within a week to 96%

Hoping there would not be any sudden drop in % as the phone is completing an year with 229 cycles.
Rest assured itís holding up really well at 96% in a year !

At least upto the 14 series , iPhone claims a battery health drop to 80% with 500 cycles in 2 years.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 14:47   #16305
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Delhi,Panchkula
Posts: 7
Thanked: 15 Times
Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello

I own an iPhone 12 Pro Max since Feb 2021
Battery life went down a lot
I was at ~850 cycles and 80% battery health and my phone wouldnít last even 3-4 hours
Most of the times I could see the percentages dropping in real time!

Got the battery changed at an Apple authorised service centre for ₹6,700
They first check the condition of your device and then order a replacement battery. The payment is upfront.
The replacement battery arrived within a week and I had to submit my phone only for 3 hours to get the new battery.
There is no need to format your phone but taking a backup is always recommended.

Very pleased with the results-
1. Battery life is as good as I remember it being when it was new. Thoroughly enjoying it.
2. As a surprise the speaker volume has increased and so is the 5G reception.

Aftermarket batteries are available for a lot less too starting at ₹3-4K but from outside shops.
If youíre planning to get the battery replaced and contemplating whether the extra cost of authorised replacement is worth it then donít even think any further - get the real deal. The peace of mind is worth it and also is the 3 month apple warranty.

Was planning to change my phone but getting the battery replaced for under ₹7K has changed my mind and I think my phone can easily last another year or two.

Hope this helps!
Dr.M is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks