Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 08:44   #16126
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Is there anyway to setup new iPhone without SIM?
I need to carry an iPhone to India, with few whatsapp calls been made.
Could we install whatsapp without eSIM?

Please advise.
Old 21st December 2023, 16:19   #16127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, you can activate the phone without SIM, but setting up WhatsApp will require a Phone Number. You can open your existing WhatsApp on Safari using the WhatsApp web feature only for messages.
roamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 16:21   #16128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I need to carry an iPhone to India, with few whatsapp calls been made.
Could we install whatsapp without eSIM?

Please advise.
No need of sim to set up and activate new iphone, all you need is a working internet connection which can be done via wifi / hotspot from another phone nearby or if you are in an apple store, that will work too. Setup whatsapp on phone like a linked device from another phone and again make calls using wifi and thats it.
roamer012 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 10:32   #16129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I checked with apple support and they have asked me to wait for 72hrs as the system data is retained for 72 hrs after new iPhone setup. System data is basically a kind of cache. Let’s see how it looks after 72hrs.
Seeing some improvements after i disabled icloud sync and 24hrs later. Hoping it settles down. itunes showing 28.48 GB free, whereas iphone showing around 13 GB free. Apple never keeps it simple!!

The iPhone Thread-screenshot-20231222-102955.png
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:47   #16130
BHPian

Did Airtel update their name to Airtel 5G?

I was surprised to see 5G showing up on my humble 8 Plus.

The iPhone Thread-img_0063.png

Last edited by SideView : 22nd December 2023 at 12:50.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 13:05   #16131
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, seeing a higher rate of battery discharge for past few days on my 13 mini. Not sure what is the problem. Battery health is 98%. I charge the phone to less than 100%, and dont use too many apps. Not even WA.

Till a week back, the charge used to last me close to 40 hours. But almost 60% of that now.

Yesterday night, I upgraded to iOS 17, but no change. Overnight it has lost more than 50% charge.
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:25   #16132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yesterday night, I upgraded to iOS 17, but no change. Overnight it has lost more than 50% charge.
Could you check the following or share a screenshot of- Settings -> Battery -> Battery Level would be there which would show you the details of the apps which drained the battery overnight.
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:52   #16133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Could you check the following or share a screenshot of- Settings -> Battery -> Battery Level would be there which would show you the details of the apps which drained the battery overnight.
I did check that. Which ever app I have opened is showing a big number against that. Day before I had used the torch for a minute, and it was top at 22%. I used the health app for 10-15 min yesterday, and that one was 42%. Today - about 10-12 min of calls, and this shows 26% of use. Health app open for some time and it's at 38%

Background app updates are for selected apps. I dont browse much on the phone - except quick checks for traffic conditions. Mail check is only for a minute. Calls are not too long/too many. Charging optimisation is on.

Today - charge has dropped 31% in about 5.5 hours.

My 2017 SE, with a bad battery (Health status = Service), is holding charge better as compared when I keep them side by side and no activity.

Last edited by condor : 22nd December 2023 at 15:58.
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:00   #16134
BHPian

Quote:
I did check that. Which ever app I have opened is showing a big number against that.
Wow that is surprising. Not sure what the problem is. Honestly, I am having a very bittersweet experience with iOS 17. Updated to 17.2.1 and now my phone has started to overheat while charging or at times even while using basic apps like Safari! I hope it settles down soon and your problem gets resolved too.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:15   #16135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow that is surprising. Not sure what the problem is. Honestly, I am having a very bittersweet experience with iOS 17. .
I did the update to try and check if the prev version was causing this issue. But does not look so. I hope Apple is not doing any throttling because of the model - it is a 13 mini. I have a few more days of warranty left, and will head out to the service centre soon.
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:50   #16136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow that is surprising. Not sure what the problem is. Honestly, I am having a very bittersweet experience with iOS 17. Updated to 17.2.1 and now my phone has started to overheat while charging or at times even while using basic apps like Safari! I hope it settles down soon and your problem gets resolved too.
Which model?
I am on Same 17.2.1 on my iPhone 15 plus and haven't faced any heating or battery issue. While charging from 25% phone used to get heated a bit for few minutes from the start and it's still the same. Battery has improved slightly from last update in this one.
Old 22nd December 2023, 21:37   #16137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Which model?
It’s a 13 Pro max bought 2 years ago. Battery health at 85% currently.

Quote:
I am on Same 17.2.1 on my iPhone 15 plus and haven't faced any heating or battery issue.
I am getting this message ‘Charging was on hold due to iPhone temperature’ since the past 2 days.

The iPhone Thread-img_5998.jpeg
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:02   #16138
BHPian

Quote:
I am having a very bittersweet experience with iOS 17. Updated to 17.2.1 and now my phone has started to overheat while charging or at times even while using basic apps like Safari!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am on Same 17.2.1 on my iPhone 15 plus and haven't faced any heating or battery issue. While charging from 25% phone used to get heated a bit for few minutes from the start and it's still the same. Battery has improved slightly from last update in this one.
Quote:
It’s a 13 Pro max bought 2 years ago. Battery health at 85% currently.
I have mentioned this somewhere on the forum - the latest iOS updates don't quite support or do any good if I may say, to the older generation of iPhones. The latest updates are primarily focused on the newer iPhone launches and hence are relatively more compatible with the same than the older version.

My 3 year old 12 Pro's performance dipped down , on updating to iOS 17 ! Even worse, it goes further downhill with each incremental update of the 17.

Hence, I've now decided against updating any further and will hold on to the current 17.0.1 version as long as I can. Any which way, the latest update don't bring any significant changes to the older iPhones which warrant an update.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 23rd December 2023 at 10:04.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:21   #16139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Did Airtel update their name to Airtel 5G?

I was surprised to see 5G showing up on my humble 8 Plus.
This is actually quite surprising! The 5G label should show only when 5G services are in use. As far as I know, the 8 plus doesn't have support for 5G, hence this is a new development.

Quote:
Guys, seeing a higher rate of battery discharge for past few days on my 13 mini. Not sure what is the problem. Battery health is 98%. I charge the phone to less than 100%, and dont use too many apps. Not even WA.

Till a week back, the charge used to last me close to 40 hours. But almost 60% of that now.

Quote:
Battery drain problem, especially on the older models is a classic feature after iOS updates. This usually settles down within a couple of days. I faced it on my 15 Pro and also my 12 Pro after updating to iOS 17, when the phone used to overheat like crazy with even basic app usage and also during charging. But the incremental updates: 17.1 and the recent one 17.2.1. especially seem to have turned over a new leaf, where I'm observing much stable battery life and no overheating.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:43   #16140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Battery drain problem, especially on the older models is a classic feature after iOS updates. This usually settles down within a couple of days. .
When the problem started it was on iOS 16.x, and I updated it to check if the older version is a cause. The phone does not heat up when being charged. It is losing 1% battery charge for every 12-14 minutes, even with mobile data being switched off (wi-fi is on) and just left on the table. Yesterday, it dropped from about 96% to 7% in about 16-17 hours.

I dont know if I should consider a 1 year old phone as a classic, yet. Btw, I am not using 5G

Last edited by condor : 23rd December 2023 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks