Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 15:39   #11941
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I am using Vodafone SIM and iPhone 6S. I am in Mumbai. I am not very sure how old my SIM is but I reckon it is not yet old. I do get 4G signal (not LTE) on my phone and speedtest gives me upwards of 20Mbps in good network condition. I have enabled 4G for "Voice and Data" in cellular settings too. Now, I have observed that whenever a call comes, my phone switches to 3G.
On top of this, my office has good 4G signal where I sit but as soon as phone comes, on 3G, the other person cannot hear me anything and I have to go near some window (signal still 3G) for them to hear me.

Now I am not sure whether I should be expecting VOLTE signal ever or at least LTE. When I was using this phone in US, I used to get LTE. Is this related to bands or something? This is Verizon iPhone. I hope I don't have to end up buying a new phone which will set me back by 50+K (since I will need to buy iPhone).
The phone model is A1688.

Worst case, I may change provider. Anyone knows which provider would work best with verizon iPhone 6S ?

PS: My wife has iPhone X and she too doesn't get LTE, Only 4G and her phone is also verizon.
Old 26th August 2019, 15:55   #11942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am using Vodafone SIM and iPhone 6S.

PS: My wife has iPhone X and she too doesn't get LTE, Only 4G and her phone is also verizon.

To show LTE instead of 4G, you will have to setup your country as USA, instead of India. Too much of a hassle, else port your number to Jio. Their network displays LTE on the iPhone.
As for your query regarding switching to 3G, you are right. It should stay on 4G even when on call. I too use a Vodafone sim in Mumbai and on my 7 ( few month ago, I was using a 6s), it stays on 4G. Mine is purchased from India. So does my wife's 8 plus, which was purchased unlocked from an Apple store in USA. That too is on 4G when on calls.
Like you mentioned, it could be because your phones are Verizon phones, which could be missing some bands.
Old 26th August 2019, 20:09   #11943
BHPian

Just picked up a 128gb black iPhone XR for 50k from gray market.
Old 27th August 2019, 16:38   #11944
Distinguished - BHPian

And so, I got a not so pleasant surprise from my iPhone battery. I upgraded to iOS 12.4.1 this morning and voila! Capacity just dropped from 99 to 98% today. Grr! I am not sure if this handset will pull on till end '20 before I am ready to replace it.

Elapsed time since replacement on 8th May is 3 months and 19 days. I think the battery was from old stock and was already compromised in terms of life and possibly capacity too. The warranty on battery replacements is 3 months. And the capacity dropped within days of this warranty expiring reminding me of the infamous Exide car battery built-in "time bomb".
Old 27th August 2019, 16:41   #11945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
And so, I got a not so pleasant surprise from my iPhone battery. I upgraded to iOS 12.4.1 this morning and voila! Capacity just dropped from 99 to 98% today. Grr! I am not sure if this handset will pull on till end '20 before I am ready to replace it.
Relax this is absolutely normal, just go back a page and refer to my post on Li ion batteries and what the notification on iPhone is doing. It is nothing to be alarmed about at 98%.
Old 27th August 2019, 16:56   #11946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Relax this is absolutely normal, just go back a page and refer to my post on Li ion batteries and what the notification on iPhone is doing. It is nothing to be alarmed about at 98%.
Yeah, I have read that link.

Nothing to be alarmed about for sure for the moment. But I have my doubts about the longevity of the battery in my phone. What I am comparing it to is the one that was fitted at the factory. That one took about a year after purchase (my usage pattern is the same) before dropping to 98. Then it was a sharp drop from 98 to 87% in another 15 months and I was forced to replace it. Although Apple said it was in good health my practical day to day experience meant I had to charge it twice a day. So the 87% and clean chit by Apple had no meaning..at least to me.

It may be an issue with the battery life gauge in the IP7+ given it's an older model. I am trying to extrapolate battery life..if this falls 2% every 3 months so it will be 8% per year and will take about 1.5 years before requiring replacement again. This is assuming it is linear deterioration which batteries may or may not follow.

I am ok because I will replace the handset at that point. But what concerns me is the quality of the part fitted. It is certainly not the same as the factory fitted one.
Old 27th August 2019, 19:21   #11947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am ok because I will replace the handset at that point. But what concerns me is the quality of the part fitted. It is certainly not the same as the factory fitted one.
I don't have data for or against this, but what I have seen with others is, they have got decent life from official replacement battery. Till about 92% charge capacity is also good. You can try coconut app to see more details of battery, max capacity, cycles etc. Just google for coconut app.
Old 27th August 2019, 20:13   #11948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have data for or against this, but what I have seen with others is, they have got decent life from official replacement battery. Till about 92% charge capacity is also good. You can try coconut app to see more details of battery, max capacity, cycles etc. Just google for coconut app.
Jaggu, I am not sure Coconut Battery is compatible with iOS versions 12 and above.
Old 27th August 2019, 21:01   #11949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, I am not sure Coconut Battery is compatible with iOS versions 12 and above.
Works fine on Mac. Am using it, just click on iOS tab for phone details.
Old 28th August 2019, 09:23   #11950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Works fine on Mac. Am using it, just click on iOS tab for phone details.
Yeah I tried to get CB back in early '19. Which is when I discovered it is Mac only. My brother uses it with his Macbook and IP-X. Wish the author came up with a PC version too.

I think the iOS app was taken off the store after the release of iOS v12.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:24   #11951
BHPian

For Windows, check on iMazing. It is an all inclusive management tool and replaces iTunes altogether, with much more capability.
Related to battery, it gives the battery health statistics along with battery serial number, manufacturer, etc.
Old 28th August 2019, 14:23   #11952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Just picked up a 128gb black iPhone XR for 50k from gray market.
A friend of mine picked up a 64GB XS for 80k from the 'gray market' in April this year (an international model apparently from a mobile shop in Gurgaon). How exactly does this work? Warranty, bill etc?
Old 28th August 2019, 15:03   #11953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
A friend of mine picked up a 64GB XS for 80k from the 'gray market' in April this year (an international model apparently from a mobile shop in Gurgaon). How exactly does this work? Warranty, bill etc?
There are alot of stores in ghaffar which sell such iphones and apple watche's. Their rates are usually fixed and leaves very little scope for negotiation. You don't get the bill obviously but these phone's do carry an international warranty.

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 28th August 2019 at 15:04.
Old 28th August 2019, 17:09   #11954
BHPian

Quote:
Elapsed time since replacement on 8th May is 3 months and 19 days. I think the battery was from old stock and was already compromised in terms of life and possibly capacity too. The warranty on battery replacements is 3 months. And the capacity dropped within days of this warranty expiring reminding me of the infamous Exide car battery built-in "time bomb".

I had replaced my 6S' battery in Nov 2018 while I was in US and then in April 2019, I started again facing random shutdowns and random battery jumps. I even got message under battery stats in my phone that my phone's battery is trashed and I should replace (not sure of exact message). Since warranty on replacement battery was only 90 days, I was out of luck so I had to again replace battery on my phone at a local (but reputed) shop. I am not sure when I will replace my 6S but I hope this battery survives till then.
Old 1st September 2019, 09:10   #11955
Senior - BHPian

I recently ordered the Pitaka case online and received it just a day ago. This case is supposedly made of Aramide and has metal plates embedded in it so that we can use it on a magnetic suction cup for use in the car.

I already have a magnetic suction cup in my car and was using it with a magnetic plate that was stuck on my case. But the Pitaka case doesnt seem to get stuck on my existing holder very well. It seems like it can fall off when going over some potholes. Now Im confused whether I should buy the Pitaka magnetic holder as well.

Most Viewed