Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2020, 17:01   #12541
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello All, Anyone here using Apple TV 4k in India? How is it like in terms of reliability, ease of use and availability of most streaming apps like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar and Jio Cinema?

One more question that's bothering me is should I take an android TV and install these apps from google play store or should I invest in an external device like Apple TV and install this via App store? I know price difference between these two is huge and should not be compared but

Mods: This query overlaps this and TV thread, please move the post if it doesn't belong in this thread.

Last edited by drive_angry : 7th January 2020 at 17:05.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:03   #12542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hello All, Anyone here using Apple TV 4k in India? How is it like in terms of reliability, ease of use and availability of most streaming apps like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar and Jio Cinema?
I have been using the Apple TV 4K 64gb in Bombay since the last 15 days or so. So far so good, it’s a super smooth operation as you might expect from Apple. I have downloaded Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Euronews and Fox-news from the App Store as of now, not the others you mention. There are loads of other apps as you might know. Apple TV streaming service is free for one year on this purchase too, limited titles, not really a huge deal.

The remote is really, really slick in appearance and operation. There is no battery replacement ever, the Amazon Fire Stick AAA batteries tend to die very fast (I have this too, hence I know). It’s best as they say if you are in the ecosystem, you can use your iPhone as the controller and if you have the AirPods then you can connect them to your TV as well.

As you mentioned the price difference is huge, I wanted to use the Apple TV and bought it for that reason. Honestly, unless you really need to use Apple TV, the Fire-stick will do just fine for your streaming needs.

Apple TV subscription after the free first year will be around 1200 rupees and for the Amazon Fire Stick you need Prime membership which is 999 rupees per year.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 7th January 2020 at 18:24. Reason: Adding text.
Old 7th January 2020, 18:29   #12543
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Between the iPhone 8 & XR which is better? Priority is camera & screen display.

Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 11:18   #12544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

Cheers

Thanks Cyborg!

I was reading online that apple tv charges 99/- per month just to use the streamer (even if you are not using apple tv+). Is this true?

OT: Does Amazon Firestick also offers all the mainstream streaming apps? like android TV or apple TV?

drive_angry
Old 8th January 2020, 11:35   #12545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
...iPhone 8 & XR which is better? Priority is camera & screen display. Thanks
I'd say go for Xr. Newer processor, camera sensor, more RAM; in short a newer phone. Bigger battery is a big+ too. Also both are LCD screens so you aren't missing out on anything. Go for Xr.

Quote:
I was reading online that apple tv charges 99/- per month just to use the streamer (even if you are not using apple tv+). Is this true?
Absolutely false. There is no recurring fee for using the device.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:04   #12546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Does Amazon Firestick also offers all the mainstream streaming apps? like android TV or apple TV?
IF you buy the Apple TV 4K box and want to watch Apple TV+ content you have to pay 99 rupees per month after your first free year subscription expires. The catch is, you have register with a credit card to watch this, however, it will be charged only after 12 months. You could cancel your subscription anytime, but if you do, your free access is terminated immediately. A work around could be to set a reminder and cancel your subscription anytime during the 12th month if you don’t wish to pay for/continue to use Apple TV+.

You could use the Apple TV 4K box for all the other apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) and not pay the 99 bucks at all. This would be if it’s the Apple experience you desire.

Like I mentioned earlier, the Amazon Firestick also offers everything the Apple TV box does, minus the content from Apple TV+. So if it’s streaming from other apps is what you want, just buy this and enjoy.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2020, 18:41   #12547
BHPian

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier, the Amazon Firestick also offers everything the Apple TV box does, minus the content from Apple TV+. So if it’s streaming from other apps is what you want, just buy this and enjoy.

Cheers
I believe Amazon Fire TV has the Apple TV app which means you could still use amazon firestick/tv to watch ATV+ shows.
Old 8th January 2020, 18:49   #12548
BHPian

One key additional benefit of Apple TV 4K is that it supports Dolby Atmos audio for Netflix contents. So if you have a audio system that supports Atmos it's a good streaming box.
Old 8th January 2020, 20:05   #12549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
One key additional benefit of Apple TV 4K is that it supports Dolby Atmos audio for Netflix contents. So if you have a audio system that supports Atmos it's a good streaming box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I believe Amazon Fire TV has the Apple TV app which means you could still use amazon firestick/tv to watch ATV+ shows.
Raks - you are correct, if I remember correctly, the Apple TV+ app is there.

The Apple TV 4K box is really good as I mentioned earlier, plus the benefits you mention Rahul.

However, it all depends on your perspective on things. It’s a huge price difference 4000 rupees for the Amazon Firestick vs almost 19000 rupees for the Apple TV 4K box. If a person wants in on the Apple bandwagon with it’s ecosystem and advantages pay the price or else, simply streaming on the Firestick gets the job done.

Pick your poison folks, either way you won’t really go wrong.

Cheers
Old 9th January 2020, 11:53   #12550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One more question that's bothering me is should I take an android TV and install these apps from google play store or should I invest in an external device like Apple TV and install this via App store? I know price difference between these two is huge and should not be compared but

Mods: This query overlaps this and TV thread, please move the post if it doesn't belong in this thread.
I have using Apple TV for last few years and recently upgraded to Apple TV 4k. It works well with all the apps you have mentioned. I have not able to use netflix, it gives error 113 while logging in. When i search on net lots of people have faced the issue, i have tried everything except resetting the netflix password and so far not able to log in. Netflix works fine in my old apple TV.

Quote:

The remote is really, really slick in appearance and operation. There is no battery replacement ever, the Amazon Fire Stick AAA batteries tend to die very fast (I have this too, hence I know). It’s best as they say if you are in the ecosystem, you can use your iPhone as the controller and if you have the AirPods then you can connect them to your TV as well.

Apple TV subscription after the free first year will be around 1200 rupees and for the Amazon Fire Stick you need Prime membership which is 999 rupees per year.
Cheers
Yes remote is relly slick and works really well, TV on/off and volume control works out of the box. My last apple TV remote had the small button cell, i have used it for at least 4 years now and still battery is working. Airpods pro works well with the TV if you want to watch without disturbing anyone else, infact you can connect any bluetooth speaker, headphone etc. my speaker is connected through bluetooth.

how did you claim the apple TV+ subscription ? i dont have it.
Old 9th January 2020, 21:22   #12551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i have tried everything except resetting the netflix password and so far not able to log in.
how did you claim the apple TV+ subscription ? i dont have it.
Have you maxed out the quota of devices you can log in with one id on your Netflix account?
Alternatively, also check in settings, I think there is a “reset” for the Apple TV. Check it out, may work for you.

I registered my Apple id email when I bought the device for a soft copy of the invoice. After about seven days, I got an email from Apple to start my free one year period. It has a tab “Accept one year free”. Approach the store where you bought yours from and I am sure it will get sorted.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 9th January 2020 at 21:23. Reason: Adding text
Old 10th January 2020, 11:00   #12552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you maxed out the quota of devices you can log in with one id on your Netflix account?
Alternatively, also check in settings, I think there is a “reset” for the Apple TV. Check it out, may work for you.

I registered my Apple id email when I bought the device for a soft copy of the invoice. After about seven days, I got an email from Apple to start my free one year period. It has a tab “Accept one year free”. Approach the store where you bought yours from and I am sure it will get sorted.

Cheers
I have tried with two netflix ids, both are not working. Have tried resetting also, only thing left now is to change the netflix password and try.

Ya got it, it was there in the TV app, if you click on TV+ then top right there is button to claim the 1 year free subscription, didnt checked it till now
Old 10th January 2020, 12:59   #12553
BHPian

Guys, I need your help.

I dropped my iPhone X last night and the screen has gone green with some damage visible on the screen.

Spoke with the Apple service center and they are quoting 21-22k for screen replacement. In the event the screen cannot be replaced, then they will replace the phone with a new one for about 55k.

Also spoke with independent repair shops and they are quoting from 14k to 16k for screen replacement with an original Apple screen.

What would you guys suggest?

Best,
Engimatic
Old 10th January 2020, 13:22   #12554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Also spoke with independent repair shops and they are quoting from 14k to 16k for screen replacement with an original Apple screen.
I don't think that original Apple display is available with independent repairers. If you want quality replacement in budget, I would suggest iFixit in the US. They have a website and you can check the price.

If any acquaintance is flying down from the US then get it shipped at their local address in the US and ask them to hand carry it for you. That is probably the best aftermarket fitment that you can have for an iDevice.

Regards,
Saket
Old 10th January 2020, 13:25   #12555
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a suggestion.

I am going to get iPhone 11 Pro Space Grey and need a case & screen guard to protect it.
Please suggest some clear cases which will not turn yellow or some other cases which protects the phone well and prefer a thin designs as well.

I have assessed spigen cases, but all the reviews have given negative feedback on clear cases :(

your assistance is really required.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks