Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 12:37   #10921
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
If it’s the former, then the Spigen Ultra Hybrid will work flawlessly with it.
Went to Croma to install the full body MTT Tempered Glass, the person there while trying to remove it cracked the Tempered Glass at the bottom. He tells me this happens often due to the way its packed !
Amazon doesn't have a return policy for this product, i have anyways emailed them. Should i order another different tempered glass or just buy 1 from Croma?
Old 24th January 2018, 12:42   #10922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Went to Croma to install the full body MTT Tempered Glass, the person there while trying to remove it cracked the Tempered Glass at the bottom. He tells me this happens often due to the way its packed !
Amazon doesn't have a return policy for this product, i have anyways emailed them. Should i order another different tempered glass or just buy 1 from Croma?
Why do you guys spoil the iPhone experience with tempered glass. It has force touch and using tempered glass really messes up the force sensitvity since it spreads the force over a larger area.

Just keep a good case like Spigen which protects the edges or go for a liquid skin screen protector like Skinomi or IQ shield.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:52   #10923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even the camera is same as the 8 plus?
No, the camera modules on the two are different.

iPhoneX: 12 MP (f/1.8, 28mm) + 12 MP (f/2.4, 52mm) OIS in both

iPhone 8+: 12 MP (f/1.8, 28mm, OIS) + 12 MP (f/2.8, 57mm)

8+ lacks OIS in the telephoto lens and also is f2.8 compared to f2.4 of the X. This means X should be able to take better photos with the telephoto lens.
Old 24th January 2018, 14:52   #10924
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just keep a good case like Spigen which protects the edges or go for a liquid skin screen protector like Skinomi or IQ shield.
I am using a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case currently. Just wanted to protect the screen from a fall since i believe to replace the screen is a bit of an expense.
Old 24th January 2018, 17:38   #10925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
No, the camera modules on the two are different.

iPhoneX: 12 MP (f/1.8, 28mm) + 12 MP (f/2.4, 52mm) OIS in both

iPhone 8+: 12 MP (f/1.8, 28mm, OIS) + 12 MP (f/2.8, 57mm)

8+ lacks OIS in the telephoto lens and also is f2.8 compared to f2.4 of the X. This means X should be able to take better photos with the telephoto lens.
Is this difference a lot? I mean on paper looks pretty close and not a deal breaker for a prospective buyer

Also, the internals of both 8+ and X are exactly same and their GPU Benchmark figures are crazy. Apparently as much as an ipad pro or more and also trounces the most powerful android by miles
Old 24th January 2018, 18:25   #10926
BHPian

Quote:
Should i order another different tempered glass or just buy 1 from Croma?
Just buy a local tempered glass that’s compatible with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid & you’ll be good to go.

Quote:
Why do you guys spoil the iPhone experience with tempered glass. It has force touch and using tempered glass really messes up the force sensitvity since it spreads the force over a larger area.
IMHO, investing that much money into something & not protecting it is plain stupid.
I don’t mean to sound crazy & offensive here, but there are times when the tempered glass on my phone has saved my screen from shattering due to accidental drops, and I personally like the feel of the screen with the tempered glass on & not without it.
Also, it makes me worry a little less when my phone just plummets down to the road while getting out of the car, because I’ve used my iPhone 4S without a tempered glass, and it didn’t end well for me.
All in all, using a tempered glass is a personal opinion, and for me, it’s a necessity to have one on when you’re using a phone this fragile.
Also, it’s an inexpensive product that one can change every month whenever light scratches appear on it from the abuse it gets, and I don’t find changing my screen every month when it’s all scratched up from lying in my pocket with a bunch of keys.

P.S - I don’t have any problems whatsoever with 3D Touch on my iPhone X with a Spigen tempered glass on.

Last edited by AShubrah : 24th January 2018 at 18:30.
Old 24th January 2018, 18:25   #10927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is this difference a lot? I mean on paper looks pretty close and not a deal breaker for a prospective buyer

Also, the internals of both 8+ and X are exactly same and their GPU Benchmark figures are crazy. Apparently as much as an ipad pro or more and also trounces the most powerful android by miles
It would depend upon your budget. I'd say go for X if you can without breaking a sweat.

8+ is also a very capable phone and the camera difference should not be a deal breaker. Anyway mostly telephoto will be used only for portraits and unless you plan to take lot of pics of your family/friends in low light conditions (read indoors) then it shouldn't be much of perceptible difference.
Old 24th January 2018, 19:36   #10928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should i order another different tempered glass or just buy 1 from Croma?
Quote:
Just buy a local tempered glass that’s compatible with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid & you’ll be good to go.
Even though these are selling for a few hundrend each, before being put up on Amazon etc, these tempered glasses are dealt with at few ruppees each, and in kg's. Not much to look at, IMO. But yes, they do help. I dropped my phone, and this has cracked but the screen itself is intact. And these "tempered" glasses definitely take care of the scratches.
Old 24th January 2018, 20:24   #10929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
IMHO, investing that much money into something & not protecting it is plain stupid.
I don’t mean to sound crazy & offensive here, but there are times when the tempered glass on my phone has saved my screen from shattering due to accidental drops, and I personally like the feel of the screen with the tempered glass on & not without it.
I agree with Vid... IMO, the experience of using the phone is hampered with that additional layer. My wife tried this tempered glass layer on her 6s and did not like it at all. And later she managed to sail through for an year with the plus with no additional layer protection for the screen (she used an open face case though). I always use my phones with no case or screen protector and so far it has been ok with iPhones (currently one is iPhone 7), but with the full glass body on the newer ones I may get a protective case for my next change.
Old 24th January 2018, 21:45   #10930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Even though these are selling for a few hundrend each, before being put up on Amazon etc, these tempered glasses are dealt with at few ruppees each, and in kg's. Not much to look at, IMO. But yes, they do help. I dropped my phone, and this has cracked but the screen itself is intact. And these "tempered" glasses definitely take care of the scratches.
Yes, I’m well aware of the fact that they are sold in kg’s.
I buy mine in bulk from a friend’s shop in Nehru Place (the hub for electronics in New Delhi) for ₹15/- per piece, and it’s the same quality as the one that you get for ₹250/- in other markets.

Quote:
I agree with Vid... IMO, the experience of using the phone is hampered with that additional layer. My wife tried this tempered glass layer on her 6s and did not like it at all. And later she managed to sail through for an year with the plus with no additional layer protection for the screen (she used an open face case though). I always use my phones with no case or screen protector and so far it has been ok with iPhones (currently one is iPhone 7), but with the full glass body on the newer ones I may get a protective case for my next change.
Well, to each to his own, sir.
There will be people on both bandwagons, tempered glass or not, so this isn’t a fair argument at all.

P.S - I like my phones bulky & grippy, unlike the world, that likes theirs without a case.
Old 24th January 2018, 22:07   #10931
Team-BHP Support

Even am not a fan of tempered glass and such, I paid close to a lakh for that screen and then put a cheap screen guard and spoil the experience? Rather purchase a case that offers a good screen protection like spigen rugged armour or such, and protect the whole phone. Touch wood they never failed me ever and I do keep dropping my phones, a lot.. grabbing wood.
Old 24th January 2018, 23:27   #10932
BANNED

Apple stores themselves offer a Tempered glass by Belkin with installation. End of discussion I think as to whether the experience is hampered by a screen protector or not.

P.S. Would think about not using a screen protector if apple gives some kind of screen insurance. Have the same on my Galaxy S7, and haven't put a tempered glass yet.
Old 24th January 2018, 23:52   #10933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There - I've taken your advice and I've removed the tempered glass from my 7 Plus (breaking it in the process)!

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516818105.415994.jpg

Any breakages going forward are to be borne by you
Old 25th January 2018, 12:04   #10934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It would depend upon your budget. I'd say go for X if you can without breaking a sweat.
Budget was not the problem.

I look for value when spending. 8+ at 69K felt more value than 89K for the X.

Technically, I would be paying 20K more for 3 primary features

1. Bezeless OLED Screen
2. Face ID
3. Marginally better camera

My head won over the heart and bought the 8+ a few weeks ago

Well, I have to agree the OLED screen on X looks so much more vibrant and gorgeous (Did a video comparison with a friend's X)

Quote:
8+ is also a very capable phone and the camera difference should not be a deal breaker. Anyway mostly telephoto will be used only for portraits and unless you plan to take lot of pics of your family/friends in low light conditions (read indoors) then it shouldn't be much of perceptible difference.
I upgraded from a 6+ (Not 6S+) and this phone feels ridiculously fast and battery life is so good that some work days of 10 hours, I get by using as little as 25-30% battery life

I'm very happy primarily because of the great battery life. Otherwise, I was fed up of my battery of 6+ which would not even last me 7-8 hours from a full charge

Potrait mode on the 8+ is just brilliant

Overall, I'm a happy soul !!!
Old 25th January 2018, 16:34   #10935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

My head won over the heart and bought the 8+ a few weeks ago
Sound arguments and its a very good choice. I myself would be getting an iPhone 8 in a few days/weeks but I wish I had option to upgrade it to the 8+. The battery would be the main reason why I prefer the 8+ over 8.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks