Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 20:10   #10801
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
But doing this in an iPhone apparently takes the phone back to literally factory settings i.e. locked back to Sprint which I was blissfully unaware.
Are you sure this is the cause?

I bought my 6 from an AT&T store by paying full price; but any phone you buy from a carrier store is locked to that carrier and I had to email AT&T Cust Care to get the phone un-locked.

I have factory-reset the phone twice now; once while in Switzerland, and other while in India. No issues whatsoever.

Try restoring from iTunes; also visit an Apple store. I'd imagine they can check and confirm why the error.
Old 29th December 2017, 20:31   #10802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Your best bet is to convince the original carrier, they usually agree to unlock out-of-contract phones for free or a small fee. If that isn't working out, there are third-party unlocking services like this one that cost anywhere between 20-40 USD to unlock a carrier-locked iDevice.
Yes, I'm going to make few more attempts with Sprint and if it doesn't work out, have to look out for other solutions like you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Can you restore the phone from your backup ? Would that work, did you give a try ?
That didn't work as iTunes when trying to restore reports the same error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are you sure this is the cause?

I have factory-reset the phone twice now; once while in Switzerland, and other while in India. No issues whatsoever.

Try restoring from iTunes; also visit an Apple store. I'd imagine they can check and confirm why the error.
I was (and still) skeptical but both Apple India and US customer service executives said the same. I also escalated the issue to US customer service front line supervisor and he repeated the same. iTunes Restore reports the same error.

I paid $2 to check the IMEI details of the phone and it says the below info.
Initial Activation: 2174 US Sprint/MVNO Locked Policy
Applied Activation: 2303 Multi-Mode Unlock
Next Tether: 2174 US Sprint/MVNO Locked Policy
Unlocked: TRUE
Unlock Date: 08/24/16
Per few discussion boards and subreddit threads, 'Next Tether' field also should say '2303 Multi-Mode Unlock' or similar. 'Next Tether' apparently is applied when the current policy is reset. There is a thread for this issue in Apple forum which runs for multiple pages with different solutions and suggestions.

Maybe I should take it to the Apple Store and ask them as you suggested. I was initially not confident in them solving this but coming around to the idea of why not try with them too.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 29th December 2017 at 20:32.
Old 30th December 2017, 00:00   #10803
BHPian

Quote:
Symbian and Windows Phone - to name just two I've owned personally - were dishing out OS/software updates before iPhones ever existed or became mainstream.
Ugh. When did Windows phone or Symbian offer cohesive OTA updates as a part of platform strategy which evolved the underlying OS to its current form, as they would be on newer devices? Who, except for nerds who liked fiddling with styluses were using Windows Mobile (I guess you mean Windows Mobile and not Windows Phone which you've typed, which came after iOS), and who amongst regular users were updating their Symbian devices? Hell, even Blackberry wasn't doing that, and they were ahead of both of these platforms as far as updates go.

Accept it or not, Apple brought a proper sense of your handheld being a part of a large(r) platform which would be updated frequently, and receive major feature updates, in many cases even before the new hardware ships with the new stuff, software wise.

There is no mainstream consumer platform, desktop or mobile, that offers updates for as long as Apple does on older hardware.

Anyway, I'm out.
Old 30th December 2017, 01:00   #10804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Ugh. When did Windows phone or Symbian offer cohesive OTA updates as a part of platform strategy which evolved the underlying OS to its current form, as they would be on newer devices?.....
Stuff evolves. Apple does stuff better in 2017 than it did a decade ago, so if you're going to compare platform maturity, do it apples to apples (pun unintended).

Your original point that I responded to was Apple started the trend of offering OS updates on handheld devices, I merely pointed out it wasn't true. Symbian did offer OS updates, yes it did evolve the system over several iterations, and yes it offered far more at the time feature-wise. Have you used a Symbian device for any length of time? You could borrow my E72, still works like a charm.

Quote:
Accept it or not, Apple brought a proper sense of your handheld being a part of a large(r) platform....
Who said they didn't? Again, you're shifting goalposts, debating a point nobody raised.

Mobile devices have evolved over a period of time from being standalone handhelds to complete ecosystems with multiple device types. Forget comparing to dinosaurs, that's what Symbian & PalmOS are (another fantastic handheld platform of its time before HP killed it), Apple itself has moved leaps and bounds in its decade with the iPhone.

iOS is a fantastic platform and offers a lot, I personally use it and prefer the Mac to my Windows 10 laptop to be honest, but smartphones existed before the iPhone and no, it wasn't just the nerds who found them useful (you're getting it mixed up with the first gen Palm Pilots). Yes the world of handhelds was entirely different back then, so if you're trying to prove Apple is better today than anyone else back then, I say Apple today are better than they themselves were back then, forget everyone else. No disagreement there, and I voted for iOS the only way it truly counts, with my wallet

P.S. Yes I did mean Windows Mobile (Symbian's contemporary, sorry about the mix-up), though I loved Windows Phone too. Clean and intuitive UI, light spec requirements, amazing battery life and some of the Lumias were amazing devices. It's a shame Microsoft gave up on the platform.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th December 2017 at 01:23.
Old 30th December 2017, 16:42   #10805
BHPian

Quote:
Stuff evolves. Apple does stuff better in 2017 than it did a decade ago, so if you're going to compare platform maturity, do it apples to apples (pun unintended).
I was comparing iPhone OS when it came out, to incumbent platforms like BB, Symbian and WM, in 2007.

Quote:
Your original point that I responded to was Apple started the trend of offering OS updates on handheld devices, I merely pointed out it wasn't true.
Sure. A better way to put it woudl've been they were the first ones to get it right, the first ones to actually get regular non-nerds to do it.

Quote:
Symbian did offer OS updates, yes it did evolve the system over several iterations, and yes it offered far more at the time feature-wise. Have you used a Symbian device for any length of time? You could borrow my E72, still works like a charm.
Used nothing but before 2007
AFAIR, I never updated any of my Symbian devices, the last amongst which was the N73m. And you know what, I doubt I was the only one who never updated, or thought of updating system software on those phones, and I'm quite a nerd. I even had the nightmare of a device, the NGAGE, and kept it for a year fiddling with it.

Quote:
Who said they didn't? Again, you're shifting goalposts, debating a point nobody raised.
Aren't cohesive, consistent OS updates the first step to doing that, of creating a long-term sustainable platform?

Quote:
P.S. Yes I did mean Windows Mobile (Symbian's contemporary, sorry about the mix-up), though I loved Windows Phone too. Clean and intuitive UI, light spec requirements, amazing battery life and some of the Lumias were amazing devices. It's a shame Microsoft gave up on the platform.
The problem with Windows Phone, and others that tried creating a new platform (and failed), is that they were maybe just good enough. I didn't like WP, found it too text reliant for UIs, and it had no feature parity. Absence of feature parity can be forgiven if the new thing that comes without it is dramatically better than existing platforms at some more important things. WP wasn't, and failed to get any traction.

Last edited by ach1lles : 30th December 2017 at 16:48.
Old 30th December 2017, 18:32   #10806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
....Aren't cohesive, consistent OS updates the first step to doing that, of creating a long-term sustainable platform?
Oh absolutely. The existing platforms then had limitations w.r.t. scalability into a larger ecosystem (I'd think mostly because they weren't designed that way), but most had capable next-gen iterations in development which could do that, which were abandoned for one reason or another.

Palm OS (a.k.a. Web OS) for handhelds was abandoned just when it was ready to market due to the HP purchase of Palm. The OS iteration on the Pre 3 device had some features that are in use to this day, e.g. active notifications, to name one.

Nokia had Maemo that had a lot of potential, and would've rivalled Android and iOS today for functionality if it wasn't abandoned, again for non-technical reasons.

Plenty more, but you get the gist of my point. There were some great platforms in the making, some could've been as good or better than the ones we use today. We'll never know.

Quote:
The problem with Windows Phone.
All valid points, and the biggest problem with Windows Phone was Microsoft. They were too late to market and too slow to develop once they got there.

UI preferences are subjective (I loved the minimal, Zune-derived interface), but the OS itself had some great features, Live Tiles to name one, power optimisation was a significant another. I've seen no smartphone that can last two/three full days on a ~2000 mAh battery with regular use even today, like my erstwhile Lumia 735 can. Integration with Windows apps on PCs would've given them platform and productivity reach few others could match given how widespread Windows is, but it was all just badly mismanaged. WP in someone else's hands could've been a major OS (esp. for enterprise users) in the mobile space, but that's just wishful thinking now.

We're probably dragging this well OT but glad to have the conversation

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th December 2017 at 18:41.
Old 31st December 2017, 13:49   #10807
BHPian

Hi, So has anyone got their battery @ 2000/- + tax. I called to one of the service centres in Forum mall, Bangalore and they say that they have not yet got any confirmation from Apple yet, may be they can give some information by next week. They are ample technologies, claiming to be one of the authorized service partners for Apple in India as Apple do not have any direct company owned servicing in India.
Not sure of the authenticity of their statements. Has any other place started providing batteries at the confirmed price of 2000/- +. ?
Old 31st December 2017, 20:03   #10808
BHPian

As per the news report, this offer will be effective from late January till December 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi, So has anyone got their battery @ 2000/- + tax. I called to one of the service centres in Forum mall, Bangalore and they say that they have not yet got any confirmation from Apple yet, may be they can give some information by next week. They are ample technologies, claiming to be one of the authorized service partners for Apple in India as Apple do not have any direct company owned servicing in India.
Not sure of the authenticity of their statements. Has any other place started providing batteries at the confirmed price of 2000/- +. ?
Apple has a free battery replacement program for iPhone 6s which has unexpected shutdown issues. This is for some batch of iPhones manufactured during late 2015. I got my iPhone 6s battery replaced recently under this program. Anyone bought iPhone 6s during that time and have unexpected shutdown problems can check in this url if their phone is eligible of battery replacement.
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ectedshutdown/

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2018 at 10:50. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 31st December 2017, 21:46   #10809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
Thanks a ton buddy, my phone, in fact belong in this batch. I haven't faced any unexpected shutdowns though but I did find the snappiness of the phone gone.

After I came to know about the slowing down of the phone by apple, I did benchmark my phone using Geekbench 4, where I found the benchmark score to be around 60% of their average score. I did complain about the same to apple care, as usual they were clueless. Anyway this link reconfirms my finding, when did you get the replacement? Was this program there before the slowing down fiasco?

Another major issue with iphone X. I am able to crack their faceID, so far I have done it five times. I am able to crack my father's faceID. So far done two complete reset of the phone via iphone menu. Reseted the faceID 5 times, I was able to demonstrate the same to apple care employee. All they said was to register the complain via toll free number, which I did. They told to reset the phone using iTunes rather than from the phone. I will be doing that today. This time I will set it up as new iPhone rather than back it up from iCloud, that backup is around 20GB.

This is how I was able to crack the FaceID.

1.Setup FaceID, in my case my father does it. I have made sure it is done in a well lit environment. There is no screen guard nor anything blocking the sensors. Of the five times, three times he wore the spectacles.

2.Now I try to unlock the phone via FaceID, the FaceID asks for password after five failed attempts. I unlock the phone using the passcode.

3.Lock the phone and repeat the step 2.

I am able to crack the FaceID after say, repeating the step 2 about 50-60 times. Once I crack the FaceID, it there after works like a charm as if my face is also registered as FaceID.

Last edited by ecenandu : 31st December 2017 at 21:47.
Old 31st December 2017, 22:08   #10810
BHPian

I got the battery replaced earlier this week. I believe this program has been around for a while, but i found about it only last week. Before going to the apple authorised service centre, i called up Apple support and confirmed that my phone is covered in the program. I was told by service centre people that the phone should not have any non-original (Apple) part and no liquid damage to be eligible for this program. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Thanks a ton buddy, my phone, in fact belong in this batch. I haven't faced any unexpected shutdowns though but I did find the snappiness of the phone gone.

After I came to know about the slowing down of the phone by apple, I did benchmark my phone using Geekbench 4, where I found the benchmark score to be around 60% of their average score. I did complain about the same to apple care, as usual they were clueless. Anyway this link reconfirms my finding, when did you get the replacement? Was this program there before the slowing down fiasco?
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:25   #10811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

I am able to crack the FaceID after say, repeating the step 2 about 50-60 times. Once I crack the FaceID, it there after works like a charm as if my face is also registered as FaceID.
Maybe this article could give you an insight why it happens. It says you aren't cracking it. You are teaching it, as you have the security code to your dad's phone.

https://www.imore.com/face-id-sibling-fud

The gist is as below:

If someone else, including your sibling, has your iPhone X passcode, Face ID doesn't even exist. You've given them much higher access than even Face ID allows — including the ability to reset Face ID and other data on your iPhone X — and, literally, nothing else matters at that point. Keys to the castle. Time to go home.
But for Face ID in particular, there's some interesting behavior that's worth being reminded about: The neural networks that power Face ID are designed to learn and continue to match your face as you change your appearance over time. If you shave your mustache and/or beard, if you change your glasses and/or hairstyle, if you add or remove any makeup and/or facial decorations, as you put on or take off hats and/or scarves.
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:54   #10812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Maybe this article could give you an insight why it happens. It says you aren't cracking it. You are teaching it, as you have the security code to your dad's phone.

https://www.imore.com/face-id-sibling-fud

The gist is as below:

If someone else, including your sibling, has your iPhone X passcode, Face ID doesn't even exist. You've given them much higher access than even Face ID allows — including the ability to reset Face ID and other data on your iPhone X — and, literally, nothing else matters at that point. Keys to the castle. Time to go home.
But for Face ID in particular, there's some interesting behavior that's worth being reminded about: The neural networks that power Face ID are designed to learn and continue to match your face as you change your appearance over time. If you shave your mustache and/or beard, if you change your glasses and/or hairstyle, if you add or remove any makeup and/or facial decorations, as you put on or take off hats and/or scarves.
Exactly what I thought. Now the training is too easy, hardly takes 10-15 minutes.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:16   #10813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I am looking out for the 8 plus 256 GB/X 256GB for my wife, who is stuck with a SE after losing her 6S, hence the inquisitiveness on the deals available.
Happy New Year to you and all members.
Read this offer today and thought I should share it for guys wanting cashback on their Apple purchases.

But there is a catch - there always is a catch for offers that sound too good.

Quote:
The offer starts on January 1 and is valid up to March 11, 2018. It will be available on EMI transactions for both HDFC credit and debit cards.
According to the offer, a cashback of Rs 10,000 is applicable on purchases made with HDFC credit and debit cards for iPhone X, under EMI plans.
So I am guessing that an EMI is needed which was not required for the Citibank cashback. Kindly confirm with store before your purchase.

HDFC Bank iPhone Offer
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:43   #10814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

So I am guessing that an EMI is needed which was not required for the Citibank cashback. Kindly confirm with store before your purchase.

HDFC Bank iPhone Offer
Thanks. Where this is available though is not mentined in the article. And if no interest EMI, it is worth it.
From past trends, around 26th Jan, paytm, flipkart & Co. come out with Republic day offers with good discounts/cashbacks. I am waiting for them else I have someone coming down from USA in Feb 18.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:46   #10815
Senior - BHPian

Seems like there's a marginal price drop on the X. Since yesterday the 64gb variant is around 85k and the 256gb around 97k on amazon, paytm has had a cashback of 4k since quite sometime now. Hope it falls even further around the month-end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks