Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2018, 03:43   #11281
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
I was considering purchasing online with a friend picking up. However they state a government ID is required to pickup the device, which my friend won't be able to produce (I am assuming it is a US government issued ID).

You can use the passport to go and collect it. All they want is to verify he is the person as stated during buying the phone online.
Old 15th September 2018, 05:00   #11282
BHPian

Me and my colleague were joking at the prices of Iphone Xs Max here in US. Last year they broke $1000 barrier and this year they crossed the price of Macbook pro.

After all this joke I ordered my Xs Max 64 gigs through my employer portal where it came to $700 including taxes. I need to use it with my business phone number for couple of months after which I can unlock and use it with any carrier. Anyhow upgrade plan is always on for me as I was using a 7 for past two years. My 7 is still running smooth and it is going to my dad as his second phone (His primary phone is basic 1000Rs Samsung phone).

Quote:
Did you purchase from the US? Did you ship or was it picked up?

I was considering purchasing online with a friend picking up. However they state a government ID is required to pickup the device, which my friend won't be able to produce (I am assuming it is a US government issued ID).

I can also get it delivered but would prefer it to be in person since he will be travelling.
Your friend's Indian passport should be more than enough. Just ensure that you give his name for pickup.
Old 15th September 2018, 12:26   #11283
BHPian

Quote:
Did you purchase from the US? Did you ship or was it picked up?

I can also get it delivered but would prefer it to be in person since he will be travelling.

While purchasing, there is an option to allocate a 3rd person for pick-up in your mutually decided/favoured/convenient store.
So, you can choose your store location+ person nominated for pick-up and like others mentioned, any ID should be okay.
Old 15th September 2018, 13:14   #11284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
You can use the passport to go and collect it. All they want is to verify he is the person as stated during buying the phone online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post

Your friend's Indian passport should be more than enough. Just ensure that you give his name for pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
While purchasing, there is an option to allocate a 3rd person for pick-up in your mutually decided/favoured/convenient store.
So, you can choose your store location+ person nominated for pick-up and like others mentioned, any ID should be okay.
Thanks, yes I would be providing details of my friend who will be picking up at the store. I'm glad a passport would be acceptable. Makes things much easier!
Old 15th September 2018, 13:37   #11285
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, yes I would be providing details of my friend who will be picking up at the store. I'm glad a passport would be acceptable. Makes things much easier!

Another suggestion is to hunt someone working for Apple. You should get a further discount, thus making the purchase irresistible.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:40   #11286
BHPian

Quote:
Another suggestion is to hunt someone working for Apple. You should get a further discount, thus making the purchase irresistible.
I definitely would, if I knew someone.
Old 16th September 2018, 13:56   #11287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I definitely would, if I knew someone.

There are some extra corporate discounts for people working in few select companies. Back when I bought my 6, I got 5% off because of my company being part of that list. One needs to share a copy of his company id and official email id for confirmation.
Old 16th September 2018, 20:05   #11288
Senior - BHPian

Need some help. My wife misplaced her iPhone 6. Battery seems dead. She can't remember her Apple ID and password and so , I am not able to use the 'find iPhone ' app. Any clues or hints on how to use 'Find iPhone' in such a circumstance ?
Old 16th September 2018, 21:21   #11289
BHPian

One query, will the US iPhone XR/XS/X/8 Plus work with Indian SIM cards? I mean unlocked iPhone from US? The price difference is staggering! Planning to get one through my cousin who is coming down from the US.
Old 16th September 2018, 23:25   #11290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnuvila View Post
One query, will the US iPhone XR/XS/X/8 Plus work with Indian SIM cards? I mean unlocked iPhone from US? The price difference is staggering! Planning to get one through my cousin who is coming down from the US.
Yes unlocked phones are working, so should work for the new launch also. Makes sense, India prices are crazy.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:07   #11291
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Need some help. My wife misplaced her iPhone 6. Battery seems dead. She can't remember her Apple ID and password and so , I am not able to use the 'find iPhone ' app. Any clues or hints on how to use 'Find iPhone' in such a circumstance ?

You can't. For the Find My Phone to work, the phone needs to have power. Also, you need to have your Apple ID and password to track your phone. To reset your password, go to the Apple support page and login with the Apple ID; use the forgot password option.

If you believe the phone is with someone else, there's a Notify Me function. It will notify you the moment the phone comes online:

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1537158777.520680.jpg

You could also put the phone in Lost Mode, when you can specify a number (which will be displayed on the phone) to be called in case the phone is found:

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1537158853.886923.jpg

The last resort is to erase the phone, so that nobody gets their hands on your personal data.

All of this is possible only if the phone is powered and running the current iOS installed (when it was lost) - that is, with your Apple ID login. If someone has tried to jail break it, it's gone.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th September 2018 at 10:13.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:22   #11292
BHPian

So iOS 12 is in the air ! Let's share our initial impressions on what's good and what's not so good. Below are mine on my SE:

+ Snappy ! Camera now launches in less than a sec.
+ Better Notification management ! Phew, grouped finally. And improved DND mode for the night.
+ Added and improved Apple native apps (FaceTime, Measure, Stocks, Books etc.)

- Notification management still leaves a lot to be desired (The way Android manages it is leagues apart)
- ScreenTime still needs few tweaks to churn the best out of the app's intent.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 18th September 2018, 10:32   #11293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
So iOS 12 is in the air !
+ Added and improved Apple native apps (FaceTime, Measure, Stocks, Books etc.)
You are right. iOS 12 in my iPhone 6 works well and i feel the apps are faster than before.

However, I could not find this Measure app installed in my phone. Not sure of the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Your phone does not support ARKit and therfore wont support the measure app.
Edit : Yes. I had guessed it so. So, i doubt if iPhone 6 would get an update/significant update next year onwards. Apple wants us to upgrade to new phone.:( Sad thing is, my current phone has absolutely no problems whatsoever which would force me to change.

Last edited by autospeaker : 18th September 2018 at 10:44.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:40   #11294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
You are right. iOS 12 in my iPhone 6 works well and i feel the apps are faster than before.

However, I could not find this Measure app installed in my phone. Not sure of the reason.
Your phone does not support ARKit and therfore wont support the measure app.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:28   #11295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post

So, i doubt if iPhone 6 would get an update/significant update next year onwards. Apple wants us to upgrade to new phone.

5s got it this year, so that wouldn't get the iOs 13. 6 will surely get iOs 13.
And considering how Android users stay stunted without any updates, iPhone users are the lucky lot. Even if you stop getting updates on your 6 and your phone is fine, I see no reason to upgrade,just because you aren't getting an OS update.
I see iPhone 4/4s users still in the wild.

Most Viewed