Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 11:10   #2866
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

@mail4loys
Have you upgraded your iPhone with iOS 4.3? Are you using iPhone 4?

Goto Settings > General > About and let us know what is the version.

And whenever you upgrade your version of iOS, it is better to setup your phone as new in iTunes rather than restoring the settings from the earlier backup.

And in my earlier post, i have cautioned you to take a complete backup, since everything will be erased.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:32   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
dre@ms: I tried it yesterday night and actually it is not upgrading, it restores the software. By doing this i lost the entire data on my iPhone.

Then finally i restored iPhone with the .ipsw package and restored a back on top of this. The additional features that come with 4.3 like hotspots are still missing by doing this method.

What would be the better way out?
There are two options 1. Restore 2. Update in itunes and it seems you might have clicked restore instead of Update hence you have lost all the data.

Data will be very much safe when you update your iPhone or iPod
Old 17th March 2011, 11:47   #2868
BHPian

@mail4loys: Did you not backup your data before the upgrade or restore ? Not really sure if all the data is lost, you should be able to restore the data till your previous backup. For the new settings if the upgrade to 4.3 was successful you should be able use the new features.
Old 17th March 2011, 14:53   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
@mail4loys
Have you upgraded your iPhone with iOS 4.3? Are you using iPhone 4?

Goto Settings > General > About and let us know what is the version.

And whenever you upgrade your version of iOS, it is better to setup your phone as new in iTunes rather than restoring the settings from the earlier backup.

And in my earlier post, i have cautioned you to take a complete backup, since everything will be erased.
Yes, I did the upgrade (restore) using the offline option. I use iPhone 4.

Version is: 4.3(8F190)
Firmware: 04.10.01

As said by you, I did a back up before the upgrade and set the phone as new. But the problem is with this upgrade is it erases all the data and restores it to factory settings.

So i ran the upgrade again and next when it prompted to set as new phone i selected my older profile and restored the setting. By this i got back all the settings and data on my phone. The new issue is i dont get to see the new feature of 4.3 hot spots!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
There are two options 1. Restore 2. Update in itunes and it seems you might have clicked restore instead of Update hence you have lost all the data.

Data will be very much safe when you update your iPhone or iPod
I have done updates earlier and it got upgraded without out any issues to the data. This time due to my internet connection i'm trying to do a off-line upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
@mail4loys: Did you not backup your data before the upgrade or restore ? Not really sure if all the data is lost, you should be able to restore the data till your previous backup. For the new settings if the upgrade to 4.3 was successful you should be able use the new features.
As updated above. I took you advice and did a backup before upgrade. After the upgrade the phone was reset to the factory setting and as i set it as new phone i was not able to restore my old backup. I upgraded it again and selected the old back and now i have all the data (no data loss). But strangely i don't see the Wifi Hot spots under Settings->General->network. It was visible when it was in factory settings though.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:08   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
The new issue is i dont get to see the new feature of 4.3 hot spots!!!
Quote:
But strangely i don't see the Wifi Hot spots under Settings->General->network. It was visible when it was in factory settings though.
Contrary. IMHO, I am not clear on what you are trying to convey here.
Normally, when we upgrade our iOS, we need to setup the phone as new in iTunes. Reason, when we do a backup, bits and pieces of earlier iOS gets installed and conflict with the newer version. So, its safe to set it up as new.

Can you do a restart and check. Because, after some googling, some people had the same issue and the hotspots were again visible after some time.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:41   #2871
BHPian

You can restore "only" your Contacts and settings in the following way:

1. Connect your iPhone to the computer using theUSB cable and launch iTunes if it does not launch automatically. The iTunes software displays your iPhone on the left panel under "Devices."

2. Right-click your iPhone and click "Restore from Backup." The backup process begins. Do not disconnect your iPhone during this process. Once the backup process completes, iTunes restores a previous backup containing saved contacts and settings to your iPhone.

Reference: How to Restore iPhone Contacts | eHow.com
Old 17th March 2011, 16:53   #2872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Normally, when we upgrade our iOS, we need to setup the phone as new in iTunes. Reason, when we do a backup, bits and pieces of earlier iOS gets installed and conflict with the newer version. So, its safe to set it up as new.
I have tried both the methods. Very honestly absolutely zilch difference while using, be it new phone or back up. This is on stock officially unlocked phones.

As far as my understanding goes, the only advantage of setting it up as new phone is to recover few mb's of disc space. But this can be achieved by using a restore instead of update.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:32   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
Contrary. IMHO, I am not clear on what you are trying to convey here.
I ran restore twice:

step 1) Ran restore as per the offline steps. The phone lost all data and was reset to factory settings. I create this as a new device. This time is see Hot spot feature.

step 2) I ran restore again as per the offline steps. The phone lost all data and was reset to factory settings. I selected this as an existing device and restore the data.

Now i have all the data but the the host spot that was visible while my phone was in factory settings (for a short while)

Note: This phone is a factory unlocked version bought from Canada while i was there.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:48   #2874
Team-BHP Support

Ok does your mobile service provider support tethering data? if not that might be the reason for hot spot issue, even in scenario 1 it disappeared after a while right? Hence guessing.
Old 19th March 2011, 00:14   #2875
BHPian

That should be a step to check, but what does a carrier do in showing the feature in a phone?
If the carrier doesn't support the tethering, then, even though we enable the feature, it shouldn't work, but not removing the option itself.

I would suggest, doing a fresh restore again and check if the hotspot stays on.

I may check, but this hotspot is not available for the 3GS.

I initially thought of JB with custom iOS 4.3, but dropped the idea this evening, due to numerous problems with iBooty and stuff.

For some reason, now some of the apps shows their dead faces to me, starts to load and dies.

So, thinking of a upgrade tomorrow and wait and keep my fingers crossed for a untethered and easy jb.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:22   #2876
BHPian

Hi Guys, i just want to share some of my experience with the iphone4, its a great gadget nonetheless but after having owned 3 iphones and two with my friend i can say one thing very surely that of the five pieces(all factory unlocked) i had the experiwnce that none of the two screens were the same every screen has some tint difference . the one i had was very different from the one i bought for my wife (all the sets i am talking about were 32 gb) the sets we bought for my friend had a different screen tint. the worst screen i have come across are from the sets that were bought in UK. the best screen are in the hong kong ones and secondly comes the sets from singapore(u can know the region by the product code) all were having the same firmware 4.1 barring the last one my friend bought had 4.2.1 so the firmware thing is also out of question.
I know this thing might not matter to most of us but if anybody is finecky about the screen tint thing then one must try to get the sets made for hong kong region(mc605zp) or the singapore ones because in the screens with a slightly white tint the text is more sharper to read than the screens with yellow tints.

This difference is also very visible in the few ipads i have come across but as i dont own one so cant comment on the same.
If anyone has doubts about what i am saying than u can compare any two iphones and see the difference for yourself. the point being a company like apple with products costing half a lakh of rupees their quality control should be stringent, they might me sourcing thr screens from different vendors but they must insure the quality standard and screen specs should remain the same.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:34   #2877
Team-BHP Support

Screen tint is a factor controlled by OS right? I had faced that issue with my 3G, with 4 it's consistent with the last 3 upgrades.

I have used hardware from Nokia, HTC, HP and Apple for the last 20 years. And of all the handsets Apple scores the highest. Not even a single glitch till date.
Old 21st March 2011, 02:41   #2878
BHPian

Screen tint is not a factor of the os in an iphone it is about the hardware bro. Just compare any two ip4 or 3gs then u will see the difference.
Old 21st March 2011, 06:32   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some help.
Yesterday iTunes got updated to version 10.2.1.1 and since then it is not recognizing my iphone (it is factory unlocked 3GS version)
When I plug it in, I am able to see it in Explorer and the Autoplay options also pop up. iTunes automatically starts up, as normal, when the phone is plugged in, but then within seconds it gives the message "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred"
I have done some basic checks, like checking the cable (with same cable, iTunes recognizes my iPod), battery in the phone (100% charged) etc
Restarted the laptop also a few times but to no use. Restarted the phone too.
Any idea what is going on here?
All this started happening after the wretched iTunes update.
Old 21st March 2011, 10:09   #2880
Team-BHP Support

Try reinstalling the iTunes first and see if it helps ^^

@morten: screen tint can also be due to OS, i very clearly remember noticing the same with certain upgrades of iOS with my 3G handset. Just google it, you will know what am talking about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks