Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 17:52   #2761
Awaiting Email Confirmation

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
@Akki_5,

Get yourself a normal data plan VMC 2GB and on your iphone open on Safari :

Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

Create a profile by choosing your carrier : India Vodafone.

This would make VMC run on your iphone.

Cheers !!

Let me know if you face some issues
Hey Anmol, thanks! Can you tell me what do i have to enter in APN, username and password while creating the profile?
Old 14th February 2011, 18:01   #2762
BHPian

@ Akki_5,

You dont need to enter anything, just select IN - Vodafone and it would enter all details. After you select IN - Vodafone, just select Create profile and you are good to go.

Please ask in case of issues
Old 14th February 2011, 18:06   #2763
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When i select IN-Vodafone and click create profile, on the confirmation page it says: APN = www. This seems incorrect because there should be an APN address instead of www. For eg: Vodafone Live i think uses APN = portalnmms
Old 14th February 2011, 21:23   #2764
BHPian

This is the correct APN, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
When i select IN-Vodafone and click create profile, on the confirmation page it says: APN = www. This seems incorrect because there should be an APN address instead of www. For eg: Vodafone Live i think uses APN = portalnmms
Old 15th February 2011, 17:09   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Hi, if you don't mind sharing, how did you get a FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone from USA? I thought they were all tied to ATT (and now Verizon?)
I got it from my Friend who works for walmart during Christmas sales.
No idea how he managed to get the Factory Unlocked iPhone 4
Old 15th February 2011, 17:21   #2766
BANNED

Quote:
I am using an iPhone4 16GB since about a month now. However, i have been unable to get myself a good data plan. My carrier is Vodafone. Their customer care says:
1) Vodafone Mobile connect (VMC) works on some iPhone 4 handsets but not all. They cannot specify any particular reason for this. VMC is an excellent plan because you get 2GB data for Rs.299 only! I want this plan but Vodafone cannot make sure if it will work on my handset.
2) The Vodafone iPhone data plan is Rs.499 for 250 MB! That is ridiculous.

Anybody using iPhone4 with Vodafone? Which data plan do you use?
Well actually you don't need to do anything at all. For all the carriers that are associated with iPhone, the settings come pre-configured or built in. So for example I have an iPhone 3GS which is also available with Airtel and Vodafone both, it will pick up the respective APN setting automatically from the carrier plist file depending on which SIM is in. Just enable the Mobile Office, turn on the network data and you are good to go.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:25   #2767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are using a different APN currently, as in the data plan is different, you can either use this site and choose the manual entry OR download the iPhone Configuration utility and create whatever profile you want and then install it. EDIT: I think portalnmms apn has proxy setting and all, which is best configured using configuration utility which is a free download.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2011 at 17:26.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:40   #2768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Well actually you don't need to do anything at all. For all the carriers that are associated with iPhone, the settings come pre-configured or built in. So for example I have an iPhone 3GS which is also available with Airtel and Vodafone both, it will pick up the respective APN setting automatically from the carrier plist file depending on which SIM is in. Just enable the Mobile Office, turn on the network data and you are good to go.
It doesn't always do that. It did in my previous iPhone, but for some reason my current iPhone doesn't.

I go to unlockit.co.nz and install the APN for Vodafone. It used to be portalnmms, but now it is www. Anyway, no need to enter all that - we just need to select IN - Vodafone to install the APN settings, and then restart the phone.

Of course, need to have VMC (Vodafone Mobile Connect) enabled first. SMS "ACT VMC" to 121.
Old 15th February 2011, 20:14   #2769
Senior - BHPian

My Sad experience with Iphone

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the Blackberry Bold 9000 for the last 2+ years and the ringer started having some problems recently.

I was considering purchasing a new phone in case the Blackberry were to go "kaput", which was when I suddenly became interested in the iPhone.

This was when I realized the IPhone 4 is not available in India unless you go for a carrier & jail broken phone which I was least interested.

I then came across an advertisement in the bangalore craiglist where someone wanted to sell an Iphone 3G at about 12K. This was about 8 months old.

I met this person and examined the phone. It looked quite okay, well handled and an Airtel locked phone - which is what I wanted. However, it was jail broken. I went ahead and purchased the phone with an intention of restoring the IOS so that the phone becomes factory default.

I paid a visit to the Apple authorized service center - Imagine, Forum, Bangalore to have the phone checked.

The first thing they told me was that there is a problem detected as "LSI Trigger", where an indicator which turned positive probably due to some water contact. However, they told me the phone is working fine.

I asked them how I may restore the Phone with a legitimate IOS, without any jailbreak and again, the engineer told me I may simply connect the phone to itunes and click on the "restore" button, and everything would be a breeze.

This is what I did but the result was the phone turning into a brick! . I tried thrice to load the IOS but kept on getting error 1015. The phone remained in recovery mode.

I rushed to imagine, where the engineer attempted a restore but failed. They accepted the iphone for repair. Having checked the serial number, I was told the warranty is valid till the end of april 2011. Glad I was indeed.

The sad news came the following day. Apple told me they detected an LSI trigger, which cannot be covered under warranty. According to them, this is the reason for the phone not getting out of recovery mode. I asked them how these may be related but they had no explanation and simply insisted on the same.

I went ahead and questioned on why their engineer told me the phone was okay, the very same morning. Infact, his diagnostic report clearly read the phone to be working fine! What "imagine" did was to defend their engineer and told me I may go for a trade-in for a new Iphone 3G for 10K.

I had no option but to pay this amount ant get this replacement.

Sadly enough, when I escalated this matter to apple, they mentioned this to be a dispute between myself and Imagine and they cannot help. The moment they heard "LSI Trigger" they simply concluded this is the problem. I was further told Jail breaking voids warranty.

Surprisingly, the engineer at Imagine never told me these! Had he told me this during the diagnostics, I would have returned the phone!

This is clearly the fault of the Imagine showroom engineer, his lack of knowledge and communications which lead me to the inconvenience.

I did spend some time reading about jail breaking which was when I realized this is a unidirectional process. Reversing a jailbreak may/may not be a success. I also came across several sites giving instructions on how to recover from error 1015, but in all these sites, the phone will always remain jailbroken!

People jail break phones so that they can install the carrier break software so that they can use the iphones they purchased in US with the Indian carriers. I have to warn everybody that this is very risky as it voids warranty and cannot be reversed. Further, you never know what the jail break software is capable of doing. Somebody may be able to use your phone to spy on your calls/mails or personal info. Installing pirated/third-party software through cydia may also be risky.

Apple iPhones sold in other countries enables the user to purchase the apple care contracts, which provides service eligibility after the warranty period. Unfortunately, Apple India does not sell them for Iphones in India.

I feel strange. What kind of business is Apple doing? Is it that Apple products should only be owned by a selected or privileged few? Apple bundles iPhone with carriers, in the US, because of the special offers. There are no such offers in India, but still Apple sells Iphones in India only through service providers - Why?
Further, with an iphone, you can only choose the wallpapers/ringtones from what's been provided by apple!

I feel some competitor should bring an equally good phone to the market to teach apple a lesson. Only then their monopoly would break!

Please share your views.
Old 15th February 2011, 20:55   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Sad experience with Iphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What kind of business is Apple doing? Is it that Apple products should only be owned by a selected or privileged few? Apple bundles iPhone with carriers, in the US, because of the special offers. There are no such offers in India, but still Apple sells Iphones in India only through service providers - Why?
Further, with an iphone, you can only choose the wallpapers/ringtones from what's been provided by apple!

I feel some competitor should bring an equally good phone to the market to teach apple a lesson. Only then their monopoly would break!
Firstly I think you should know Apple has a like it or lump it attitude towards their customers (even in the west) and this should be uppermost in a prospective iPhone owners mind. Steve Jobs (not his customers) decides what is good and what is bad, what is right and what is wrong.

Secondly a jail broken phone does not have a warranty. Therefore Apple is right..it is between you and the service centre. The same applies to Blackberry phones with unofficial OSes (say ver 6 on older models) loaded on them.

Thirdly, many have tried to imitate Apple's IOS but no one has come close to making an stable and elegant (UI wise) mobile OS with such a large variety of apps to choose from. Apple is laughing its way to the bank and it's forecasted or is arguably ALREADY the most valuable tech company in the world Apple is most valuable company on earth | MacTech.

Do you really think they care about you and me? I doubt it. They can barely satisfy current demand for their products.

And I've had a 3GS and currently on the IP4. And I know should something go wrong with my phone I am a goner. Even paid support will be difficult because the IP4 has not been released in India.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2011 at 20:57.
Old 15th February 2011, 23:16   #2771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
And I've had a 3GS and currently on the IP4. And I know should something go wrong with my phone I am a goner. Even paid support will be difficult because the IP4 has not been released in India.
Wow, what does that mean? I too have a 3GS with 4.2.1 iOS. Upgraded via iTunes. Why will I lose warranty all of a sudden?
Old 15th February 2011, 23:45   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, what does that mean? I too have a 3GS with 4.2.1 iOS. Upgraded via iTunes. Why will I lose warranty all of a sudden?
I think he is currently using an iphone 4...
Old 16th February 2011, 00:06   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need a case for my iPhone 4. Any recommendations? Inclined towards getting a hard shell case.

Cheers!
Old 16th February 2011, 01:09   #2774
Senior - BHPian

These are some of the issues that prevent me from considering the iPhone. Any idea when we can see the official locked or unlocked iphone 4 in India? Hopefully before the "iphone 5 comes".

Any place in the US where I can get the factory unlocked one? I am going to next week and want to see if I can pick one up.
Old 16th February 2011, 07:42   #2775
BHPian

Quote:

I then came across an advertisement in the bangalore craiglist where someone wanted to sell an Iphone 3G at about 12K. This was about 8 months old.
First off, its very risky buying in India, an iPhone from outside market. Unless you trust the guy, or buy off ebay, its very risky.

Quote:

I asked them how I may restore the Phone with a legitimate IOS, without any jailbreak and again, the engineer told me I may simply connect the phone to itunes and click on the "restore" button, and everything would be a breeze.
Biggest mistake when you do a jailbreak is connecting the iphone and do a restore.

Quote:
Apple told me they detected an LSI trigger, which cannot be covered under warranty.
You should not have said you jailbroke when talking to apple. Warranty is clearly void.

Quote:
I went ahead and questioned on why their engineer told me the phone was okay, the very same morning. Infact, his diagnostic report clearly read the phone to be working fine! What "imagine" did was to defend their engineer and told me I may go for a trade-in for a new Iphone 3G for 10K.
You could have fought a bit more, claiming that there was no immersement of the iphone. Here is a link. LSI Trigger issue

Last edited by snorting bull : 16th February 2011 at 07:43. Reason: missed a slash

Most Viewed