Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:23   #2836
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Aren't the glass surfaces supposed to be scratch free?
The glass is called Gorilla Glass. Its theoretically hard to break and scratch, basically more resistant than normal glass. But if you are very careless, scratches do come up once in a while. Also make sure not to clean screen directly with a cloth. Dust along with cloth would lead to scratches. use a wet cloth or the one that is used to clean specs/goggles, i guess its called micro fiber cloth. Use it with warm water and it will be superb.

hope this helps.
Old 4th March 2011, 00:13   #2837
Senior - BHPian

The ebay.com is flooded with these kind of deal buy 1 for $500 and 3 for $1300, Is apple planning to launch iphone5.

Check this listing
NEW Apple iPhone 4 Black&White 32GB Unlocked - eBay (item 110594707283 end time Mar-03-11 17:12:27 PST)
Old 4th March 2011, 11:34   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Are you sure? I saw in the apple site as "Coming soon": Apple - iOS 4.3 Software Update and somewhere i remember seeing it as March 11th.
no even i see it as coming soon. yesterday the apple software updater popped up saying itunes 10.2 for updating ios4.3. so i updated all the 3 updates for safari, quicktime, mobileme control panel and itunes 10.2. now i cant see to download ios4.3. i think as you had mentioned it may come on march 11th. but as of now even im not successful.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:07   #2839
BHPian

iOS 4.3 is supposed to be released with iPad 2 on March 11th. For old devices to get this update, iTunes 10.2 is required. I have also updated my iTunes, not for updating the iOS but for better stability with Windows 7 SP1

I am still running iOS 4.0.1
Old 4th March 2011, 12:30   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The glass is called Gorilla Glass. Its theoretically hard to break and scratch, basically more resistant than normal glass. But if you are very careless, scratches do come up once in a while. Also make sure not to clean screen directly with a cloth. Dust along with cloth would lead to scratches. use a wet cloth or the one that is used to clean specs/goggles, i guess its called micro fiber cloth. Use it with warm water and it will be superb.

hope this helps.
Just installed the front and rear glass protectors. Fortunately, installation was smooth without any air bubbles formation. The Apple site does not refer to the glass as Gorilla glass. I have seen Nokia and Samsung use this moniker.

What battery life are you guys getting on the iPhone 4? With 20% screen brightness and mixed usage on Wi-Fi, EDGE, calls, music, I'm getting close to 2 days. Is that normal?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 4th March 2011 at 12:33.
Old 4th March 2011, 19:11   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
What battery life are you guys getting on the iPhone 4? With 20% screen brightness and mixed usage on Wi-Fi, EDGE, calls, music, I'm getting close to 2 days. Is that normal?
I use GPS, Youtube, email, 3G, facebook, calls and music and get charge for one day. So i guess it should be normal for you.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:34   #2842
Team-BHP Support

I have 3G, wifi and bluetooth ON all the time. Mostly on wifi since home and office has it, 35% is my average consumption in a day, but i dont use Push at all. I charge every night and do battery cycle once every month.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:57   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have 3G, wifi and bluetooth ON all the time. Mostly on wifi since home and office has it, 35% is my average consumption in a day, but i dont use Push at all. I charge every night and do battery cycle once every month.
By battery cycle, do you mean draining the battery till the phone goes dead and then recharging? Also, is charging the phone overnight a good practice? I have seen it takes about 2 hours to fully charge the battery from about 10% level. Charging overnight would mean 6-8 hours on power supply.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:07   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Also, is charging the phone overnight a good practice? I have seen it takes about 2 hours to fully charge the battery from about 10% level. Charging overnight would mean 6-8 hours on power supply.
iPhones have the smartness to turn off when not required. I have noticed this in my macbook too. The adapter is hot when its charging and its cool when the light is green. So I dont think charging overnight should be an issue.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:21   #2845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
iPhones have the smartness to turn off when not required. I have noticed this in my macbook too. The adapter is hot when its charging and its cool when the light is green. So I dont think charging overnight should be an issue.
Yup first 80% is rapid charge when the charger unit becomes warm, then on its trickle and then switches off. So no issues leaving it on. This is the case with most modern phones/laptops etc.

^^ Yes i do a complete discharge, then leave it in off mode for 30 mts or so then fully recharge overnight. I do it for all my devices including laptops. My 3G after 2.x years of use still had a very healthy back up, almost 95% with this exercise. Not only the battery is exercised but the battery meter also is re calibrated and gives better accuracy.

Details are available at apple site also.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:43   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Yup, have noticed that with my macbook adapter too. The Apple site does give some info on battery charge cycles and battery care procedure. I was under the impression charging each item is treated as one charge cycle which apparently is not the case.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this. The phone touchscreen acts weird when its being charged through a power outlet. Does not happen when its charged through the USB cable. Researched a bit online and it seems its an issue with most touch screen phones. They call it magnetic interference. Have anyone of you observed this? I initially thought it could be a faulty charger.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 7th March 2011 at 11:48.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:02   #2847
Team-BHP Support

4.3 iOS out, updated in my iPhone 4 and love the wifi hotspot feature, no need for bluetooth teethering anymore. Surprisingly Airtel 3G also gave me 2.3MPS for the first time in my experience.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:10   #2848
BHPian

No 4.3 update for my iPhone 3G
I knew that apple would stop giving updates for my phone but not this soon.
Waiting desperately for a Jailbreak so that I too can enjoy the 4.3 goodness.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:48   #2849
BHPian

Updated to iOS 4.3. The hotspot feature is the highlight of this update. Worked well on a laptop using the EDGE connection on my phone.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:06   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
No 4.3 update for my iPhone 3G
I knew that apple would stop giving updates for my phone but not this soon.
Waiting desperately for a Jailbreak so that I too can enjoy the 4.3 goodness.
ASFAIK, there is nothing big in 4.3 except hotspot feature in iphone 4. Try jailbreak and install mywi. Amazing software. Supports, wifi, bluetooth, USB hotspots.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks