Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 20:41   #10336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks! This helps a lot. When you say Apple Authorized Service Provider, any Apple store will be able to help out? There are 2-3 near my area. I checked the with the Apple serial number on the warranty site and the handset is covered for warranty replacement if necessary as well. So the store should be able to honor the warranty even though it is an online purchase right..?

AASP is not available at all apple stores. Use the link below to locate one, closest to you.
https://locate.apple.com/in/en/
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:07   #10337
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
AASP is not available at all apple stores. Use the link below to locate one, closest to you.
https://locate.apple.com/in/en/
This really helps! Found one close by. Thanks a ton mate!
Old 24th August 2017, 11:36   #10338
BHPian

So my wife broke her Iphone 7's screen. She went to an Apple store and was told that the phone needs to be sent to Bangalore for repair. In case the screen can be fixed, it will be done at a cost of Rs 17k. In case the screen is not repairable, a new phone will be given at a cost of Rs 25k.

Now there are some repair shops which are quoting 10-15k for repairing it. However the downside is that it will not be original and you will be voiding your warranty (the phone is 10 months old).

Are the prices which are being quoted by the Apple store genuine? Can you guys guide what should we do? Spending 20k is a big amount but we are willing to spend it as my wife is going to use her phone for the next 3-4 years. Are there any other options which we can explore in Mumbai?

As of now, I am thinking of going with the official Apple replacement. Let me know if there is a better alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th August 2017, 11:44   #10339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

As of now, I am thinking of going with the official Apple replacement. Let me know if there is a better alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Go with the official thing and I'd suggest replacing it with a new phone. I did the same thing with my previous 6s and avoided official repairs due to high cost. Needless to say, I was highly disappointed. The touch never felt the same and touching the screen felt laggy most of the times. Had to sell it off at throw away price later just coz I tried saving a couple thousand. Currently having a 7 Plus, if anything goes wrong with it, Apple Store is the first and last place I'll visit.

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 24th August 2017 at 11:45.
Old 24th August 2017, 11:47   #10340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So my wife broke her Iphone 7's screen. She went to an Apple store and was told that the phone needs to be sent to Bangalore for repair. In case the screen can be fixed, it will be done at a cost of Rs 17k. In case the screen is not repairable, a new phone will be given at a cost of Rs 25k
I don't understand this part; a broken screen is not part of warranty. So why is Apply offering a new phone for 25k. Is there an official policy for taking phones with broken screens (or any other damage) and subsidizing new phones? Will the replaced phone be new or refurbished.

I guess when you get a replacement phone under warranty, it is a refurbished piece more often than not.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:27   #10341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't understand this part; a broken screen is not part of warranty. So why is Apply offering a new phone for 25k. Is there an official policy for taking phones with broken screens (or any other damage) and subsidizing new phones? Will the replaced phone be new or refurbished.

I guess when you get a replacement phone under warranty, it is a refurbished piece more often than not.

A tactic used by Apple in India. 90% of the time they will not be able to fix what's broken in any of the Apple products, hence they charge a bit extra and replace the whole thing. Even though they quote some amount to fix it, they'll later give excuses saying parts not available, will have to send to xyz city or it will take longer than usual hence a replacement is recommended. This is only applicable in India due to, well, whatever reason. Mainly not having an official Apple Store and Service Centers like in the U.S.

You're also right about the refurbished product, but if asked they are authorized to give a fresh new piece. Depends from store to store and person to person.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:55   #10342
BHPian

Quote:

Out of the 3 replacements under warranty that I have received in the past 6 years of using various iterations, never have I been given a refurbished phone. Infact, if I remember correctly, Apple was refused permission to deal in refurbished phones in India, so getting a refurbished device seems highly improbable.

Broken Screens & Water damaged devices are always replaced by paying the differential. Not that I understand the logic or limitations or policy issues, but isn't it a better option than getting work done outside which never are satisfactory.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:11   #10343
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Out of the 3 replacements under warranty that I have received in the past 6 years of using various iterations, never have I been given a refurbished phone.
But how will I check if the phone is refurbished or not? Are the Apple people upfront about it or do we need to become detectives to figure that out? I mean is there anyway for me to know whether the replacement given to me is new/refurbished?
Old 24th August 2017, 14:04   #10344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hope this helps
Another friend also mentioned the issue, but got resolved in a day. How about yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
1 thats when you see the wifi icon catch up and then mails, watsapp etc starts flowing in.

2. Can i move it to LTE safely without battery drain.

Oh and one more thing, on my wife's iPhone 6s, the mobile data options show 4G, 3G and 2G and she also gets an option to select 4G for data only while I dont seem to have it in my phone. Any pointers would certainly help.
1- Have you kept back ground services On for whatsapp etc and opted for push option for emails? As advised you can try and restore and check.

Quote:
So my wife broke her Iphone 7's screen. She went to an Apple store and was told that the phone needs to be sent to Bangalore for repair. In case the screen can be fixed, it will be done at a cost of Rs 17k. In case the screen is not repairable, a new phone will be given at a cost of Rs 25k.
Get it done by dealer, better go for replacement since you are planning to keep it for years. iPhone 7 is water proof and if you get it fixed outside, you are sure to lose this very useful quality.

Quote:
But how will I check if the phone is refurbished or not?
My colleague had his phones replaced and he was given brand new packs. So that itself is a good check. Never heard of old phones given in India.
Old 24th August 2017, 14:26   #10345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1- Have you kept back ground services On for whatsapp etc and opted for push option for emails? As advised you can try and restore and check.
Thanks Jaggu. Yes the background services are on and push is enabled too. I tried the reset option by pressing the power button till the slide to power off shows up; then kept the home button pressed till the home screen showed up after about 5-10 seconds. This along with the reset of network settings seems to have done something and the wifi is now not dropping. Will monitor for few more days and take it to the AASP in case it starts acting up again.
Old 24th August 2017, 17:00   #10346
BHPian

Quote:
But how will I check if the phone is refurbished or not? Are the Apple people upfront about it or do we need to become detectives to figure that out? I mean is there anyway for me to know whether the replacement given to me is new/refurbished?
They remove it from a new box with the plastic film on it and place the barcode label on your job order to indicate replacement. They wont give you the new accessories nor the box. They place the old phone in that box and send it to Bangalore.
This was what was followed when my 5S got replaced and service centre guys weren't busy with customers. Now things have changed at service centres with long queues.
Old 24th August 2017, 17:06   #10347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Another friend also mentioned the issue but got resolved in a day. How about yours?
Other than the steps I followed to fix the problem I also downloaded a WA update yesterday from the App Store and all is back to normal now.
Old 24th August 2017, 17:23   #10348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
They remove it from a new box with the plastic film on it and place the barcode label on your job order to indicate replacement. They wont give you the new accessories nor the box. They place the old phone in that box and send it to Bangalore.
This was what was followed when my 5S got replaced and service centre guys weren't busy with customers. Now things have changed at service centres with long queues.
Removing from new box or removing the plastic film doesn't mean that phone is new. As the refurbished phones have new body panels and packed exactly the same way.

I have gotten few phone replacements done in India under warranty and so far all have been new unit. Only way to check if the phone is refurbished or new is through serial no. Serial nos for refurnished phone have different digit at certain place, google and you will get the exact details.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:14   #10349
BHPian

Got this beauty yesterday. It's iPhone 7+ 128 GB product red. I got it for INR 62,000 international warranty. It looks stunning in red.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503639826.556272.jpg
Old 28th August 2017, 09:56   #10350
Distinguished - BHPian

Twitter doesnot refresh all posts when I browse it on the phone. ( I am comparing it with refresh on my laptop
Login - check
Wi-fi - check
Mobile Data - check

Any idea why ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks