Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 18:44   #10321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Moving to iOS needed a slight getting used to. But getting more comfortable now - and liking it. the SE feels so light in hand.

One more feature I liked is that the phone itself shows status of the charge on the bluetooth headset. For one who uses BT headsets all the time, this is a nice feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
This is a bug in IOS versions, which requires the url to be preceeded by http or https (as applicable), or it can also be the following :
https://www.tatango.com/blog/apple-i...text-messages/
Works for some URL's , but doesnt work for others. ("http" not required )

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th August 2017 at 22:15. Reason: As requested
Old 19th August 2017, 00:00   #10322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKS View Post
I recently downloaded Hotstar on my iPhone. Is there a way to stream contents on my samsung smart tv. I tried a few Samsung applications and it works only for videos on my phone.

I use chromecast and find it convenient. Compatible with a fair range of apps also.
Old 20th August 2017, 19:08   #10323
Distinguished - BHPian

App Store problem alert ! Is any one else with an iPhone SE facing this issue ?

I am not able to use App-Store on mobile data. I have an Airtel connection.
I am connected on the phone with my apple id. Browsing on mobile data is fine. But when I launch App-Store, it says Cannot connect to AppStore / Retry. The screen is blank and nothing happens.

Apple support person says it May be problem with carrier ( Airtel) !

Didnt expect an Apple cust support person to try and push a problem onto the carrier. With her accentuated speech and all.
Old 20th August 2017, 19:28   #10324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
App Store problem alert ! Is any one else with an iPhone SE facing this issue ?

I am not able to use App-Store on mobile data. I have an Airtel connection.
I am connected on the phone with my apple id. Browsing on mobile data is fine. But when I launch App-Store, it says Cannot connect to AppStore / Retry. The screen is blank and nothing happens.

Apple support person says it May be problem with carrier ( Airtel) !

Didnt expect an Apple cust support person to try and push a problem onto the carrier. With her accentuated speech and all.
There is a Setting which allows/disallows usage of various Apps on Mobile Data. Do check if this setting is enabled.
Old 20th August 2017, 19:56   #10325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
There is a Setting which allows/disallows usage of various Apps on Mobile Data. Do check if this setting is enabled.
Was it that simple ? Thanks @Pathik !
Old 20th August 2017, 20:33   #10326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was it that simple ? Thanks @Pathik !

Things are usually at its simplest when it comes to iOS. Something that people fail to understand. 😉

Meanwhile, have been using the SE for over a week now. Nothing that makes me ecstatic coming from a 6.
Old 20th August 2017, 21:40   #10327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Things are usually at its simplest when it comes to iOS. Something that people fail to understand. 😉
Yet the support person could not get it

Quote:
Meanwhile, have been using the SE for over a week now. Nothing that makes me ecstatic coming from a 6.
In a way, you actually donwsized / downgraded your ph ! As long as you dont feel restricted with the smaller size / screen, you should be fine.

btw why did you not move to a 6s or 7?
Old 20th August 2017, 21:57   #10328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet the support person could not get it

In a way, you actually donwsized / downgraded your ph ! As long as you dont feel restricted with the smaller size / screen, you should be fine.

btw why did you not move to a 6s or 7?

I did actually downgrade if you look at the screen size. I still haven't got used to the small screen although I wanted one for a very long time. Processor wise SE is ahead of the iPhone 6. SE is basically a 6s with a smaller screen and without the 3D touch.

I didn't go for the 6s because of the same reason- get an SE for almost 16k less. I have used the 7 for a small period of time. Amazing phone but didn't feel like an upgrade from a 6. Although SE was really a stop gap phone, for someone reason I was expecting more. The differences with the 6 is marginal.
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:10   #10329
Distinguished - BHPian

I updated WhatsApp to ver 2.17.50 on my IP7+ yesterday and now I find it doesn't download videos at all! I changed from LTE to 3G, mobile data to Wi-Fi, switched on VPN, switched off VPN. Uninstalled WA, reinstalled it to no avail.

Apple's support site has some users facing the same issue in the past 1-2 days. WhatsApp support says this will be fixed in a future version but no timeline has been offered.

PS - Anybody knows how I could roll back to the older version?

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd August 2017 at 16:12.
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:30   #10330
Team-BHP Support

Hope you tried this? Take a back up of chat, uninstall whatsapp, restart phone and install whatsapp again?
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:45   #10331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope you tried this? Take a back up of chat, uninstall whatsapp, restart phone and install whatsapp again?
Yep I followed those steps.

Here is a thread on Apple's support site (scroll down for the latest messages)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 23rd August 2017, 00:40   #10332
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the messages at the Apple Support/Communities site has this "solution" which worked for the author and for me too. I quote his message after correcting spelling errors.

Quote:
A solution that worked for me. Open Whatsapp. Go to settings. Go to CHATS. Then to CHAT BACKUP. Under chat backups, you will find the tab "Include videos" Ensure that this tab is switched on. Thereafter restart Whatsapp and download videos.
Hope this helps
Old 23rd August 2017, 18:39   #10333
Senior - BHPian

Got a new iPhone SE during the Independence Day sale from PayTM. Got the Assembled in India model and liking the overall experience. 2 things I have a query about:

1. The wifi keeps getting disconnected when the phone is locked. The moment you pick the phone to see why no new emails; thats when you see the wifi icon catch up and then mails, watsapp etc starts flowing in. This is highly irritating. Never faced this on the earlier BB10 Blackberry nor on the Android phone. Any way of fixing this?

2. Mobile data options shows me LTE, 3G and 2G. I am assuming LTE is same as 4G but when I select LTE it says the carrier has not optimized it for iphone and there might be battery drain issues. I have stuck it on 3G. Can i move it to LTE safely without battery drain. Also another thing with mobile data is it is not working 95% of the time and seems to have a mind of its own. On the android phone it was seamless between wifi and 4G network. No problems so far with data whatsoever. Any help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and one more thing, on my wife's iPhone 6s, the mobile data options show 4G, 3G and 2G and she also gets an option to select 4G for data only while I dont seem to have it in my phone. Any pointers would certainly help.
Old 23rd August 2017, 19:27   #10334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Got a new iPhone SE during the Independence Day sale from PayTM. Got the Assembled in India model and liking the overall experience. 2 things I have a query about:

1. The wifi keeps getting disconnected when the phone is locked. The moment you pick the phone to see why no new emails; thats when you see the wifi icon catch up and then mails, watsapp etc starts flowing in. This is highly irritating. Never faced this on the earlier BB10 Blackberry nor on the Android phone. Any way of fixing this?

2. Mobile data options shows me LTE, 3G and 2G. I am assuming LTE is same as 4G but when I select LTE it says the carrier has not optimized it for iphone and there might be battery drain issues. I have stuck it on 3G. Can i move it to LTE safely without battery drain. Also another thing with mobile data is it is not working 95% of the time and seems to have a mind of its own. On the android phone it was seamless between wifi and 4G network. No problems so far with data whatsoever. Any help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks!

1. This is a defect, can be software or hardware. Try restoring it using itunes (the entire phone will be flushed, and IOS will be installed from scratch). If that doesn't help, you need to make a trip to an apple authorised service provider (AASP).

2. There is no harm in moving in to LTE. Yes, 4G and LTE are the same. If you find unnecessary drain, you can always move back.
Old 23rd August 2017, 20:32   #10335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
1. This is a defect, can be software or hardware. Try restoring it using itunes (the entire phone will be flushed, and IOS will be installed from scratch). If that doesn't help, you need to make a trip to an apple authorised service provider (AASP).
Thanks! This helps a lot. When you say Apple Authorized Service Provider, any Apple store will be able to help out? There are 2-3 near my area. I checked the with the Apple serial number on the warranty site and the handset is covered for warranty replacement if necessary as well. So the store should be able to honor the warranty even though it is an online purchase right..?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks