Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 23:28   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

I think they call it an anti glare screen guard, performance is very cool but sonce its not 100% clear, it makes the back of my iphone look dull black instead of glossy black.

Hows the performance of your clear screen guard?
Ah, ok, got it now! The clear screen guard is super, doesn't spoil the aesthetics at all although it won't be anywhere near as good as an anti glare screen when it comes to improving readability under direct sunlight. No matter; for 250, it's excellent, would definitely recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude

I have a Capdase it cost me Rs.700 came with a case and front/back scratch guards. The case does look ugly and spoils the aesthetics of the Iphone 4 and also fouls with the throw of the flash while taking pictures so I'd had to remove the case to take pics with flash as the perforations are too close to the flash and the case is thick causes some haziness when pic taken with flash.
Isn't that a bit of a pain, taking the case on and off all the time? You know, I've seen some leather cases that are gorgeous and will protect the phone somewhat in the case of a fall, although nowhere as near as well as the Capdase case...I guess
Old 9th December 2011, 23:34   #3887
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I am using this Gecko Glove Silicone Black Gecko Gear Online iPod iPhone & iPad Accessories on my iP4. Its pretty cool and you get a matte screen guard with it
Old 12th December 2011, 07:51   #3888
BHPian

*Rant post Warning: if you hate ranting posts, you can safely avoid it*

Fellas, a quick query to those who upgraded to iOS5, what was your experience like when you first updated the OS on your idevice to 5?

I upgraded OS on my iphone 3gs from 4.3.5 to iOS5 (5.0.1) over the weekend and boy what a hard time it gave me post-upgrade. Initially it took a bit over an hour to complete the whole update process (later I learnt from Mr. Google that its normal, fair enough). Once the update was over, the ordeal started. Here is the story. As a part of iOS5 update process itunes backs-up your phone contents but won't restore your music, videos and photos when its done updating. Not the end of world, I reconnected the phone to itunes and did a manual sync (by selecting playlists individually). Now, I have my music and videos copied on my iphone that has shiney new iOS5 YAY but hang on the phone doesn't know where they are as playlists are completely absent from the device (another 45 minutes that phone took to restore all the contects got wasted!). Now I am scratching my head on whats happening. Been using iproducts for over two years and never had any issues. problem like this was least expected (or I expected too much?) A closer look at the bottom of itunes screen shows my phone has X amount of music, Y amount of apps and yadda yadda and 20 gigs of "other data". Now that's strange. What is this other data.
I ejected the phone from itunes and upon reconnection, I can see all the phone contents in itunes but phone still shows empty (a bug in iOS5 causes it, I learnt it later on) . Ran to Mr. Google for help again and found out a way on how to get my precious music & other contents to appear on the phone. Now all appears ok and it brought a smile back on my face but it vanished soon too because if I add a new song to itunes and sync my phone's playlist, it doesn't get copied to my iphone. And now I am wondering, why on earth I went for iOS5? I was happy with 4.x.x and none of the features in iOS5 added any wonders to the phone (well, none to me).

Sorry for whinging and moaning like a kid but has anybody had such experience or similar issues with iOS5?

Pulling his hair out,
Punzabi.

Last edited by Punzabi : 12th December 2011 at 08:00.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:34   #3889
BHPian

I have a 3gs with 4.2.1 and 6.15 baseband. From the dev forums, I understand its not possible to upgrade to 5.0.1 and unlock. If anyone done it, please let me know.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:01   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi
Fellas, a quick query to those who upgraded to iOS5, what was your experience like when you first updated the OS on your idevice to 5?
The download process itself was painfully slow at times, but the install was smooth. Went off without even the slightest problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I remember reading that the 3GS was not supported by iOS 5. Maybe that's the root of your problems.

5 isn't a massive step up from 4.x, but it brings enough new features to the table to make it a worthy upgrade IMHO
Old 12th December 2011, 21:23   #3891
BANNED

My friend has requested me to upgrade his jailbroken ip4 to ios 5.0.1 jb.

How do i do this? I know about that software red-something. I also have the ios 5.0.1 file downloaded.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 12th December 2011 at 21:24.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:34   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
My friend has requested me to upgrade his jailbroken ip4 to ios 5.0.1 jb.

How do i do this? I know about that software red-something. I also have the ios 5.0.1 file downloaded.
As far as I know, there is no untethered jailbreak out right now for iOS 5.0.1. What that means is that you will have to run the jailbreak software each time you restart the phone, which is not ideal.

My advice; wait for a fully untethered jailbreak. Better than having the sword of Damocles hang over your head.

If you still wish to jailbreak that iPhone, here's how you do it.
Old 12th December 2011, 23:05   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles
The download process itself was painfully slow at times, but the install was smooth. Went off without even the slightest problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I remember reading that the 3GS was not supported by iOS 5. Maybe that's the root of your problems.

5 isn't a massive step up from 4.x, but it brings enough new features to the table to make it a worthy upgrade IMHO
I use 3GS and running the iOS 5.0.1 without any flaws. The upgrade was butter smooth and later the OTA update. Go for it if you need notifications and some tones for your new email and send email.
Old 13th December 2011, 09:16   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear I remember reading that the 3GS was not supported by iOS 5.
IOS5 does support 3gs, its the original iphone that is doesn't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I use 3GS and running the iOS 5.0.1 without any flaws. The upgrade was butter smooth and later the OTA update. Go for it if you need notifications and some tones for your new email and send email.
lucky you. I wish if I hadn't upgraded to iOS5. On the other hand, waiting for my 4S to be delivered (3 weeks since ordered & counting). So I won't sweat out on fixing my 3gs as I'm not gonna use it anyway.

Note to self: don't upgrade new phone to latest os unless confirmed its bug free.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:10   #3895
BHPian

Well guys got my iphone 4s white 16gb,enjoying the mind puzzling process of getting the contacts from outlook to my iphone.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:16   #3896
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi

IOS5 does support 3gs, its the original iphone that is doesn't support.

lucky you. I wish if I hadn't upgraded to iOS5. On the other hand, waiting for my 4S to be delivered (3 weeks since ordered & counting). So I won't sweat out on fixing my 3gs as I'm not gonna use it anyway.

Note to self: don't upgrade new phone to latest os unless confirmed its bug free.
Well the 3GS on 5.0.1 is bug free. I have two 3GS iphones running ios 5.0.1 perfectly in my home.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:09   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

Well the 3GS on 5.0.1 is bug free. I have two 3GS iphones running ios 5.0.1 perfectly in my home.
Yours must be unlocked Indian buy. People who got jail broken iPhones from US or elsewhere have difficulty as every iteration of iOS brings the phone back to its country specific software, in the many case back to locked AT&T settings the situation is bad as till date the jailbreak for version 5 hasn't arrived.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:19   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Yours must be unlocked Indian buy. People who got jail broken iPhones from US or elsewhere have difficulty as every iteration of iOS brings the phone back to its country specific software, in the many case back to locked AT&T settings the situation is bad as till date the jailbreak for version 5 hasn't arrived.
The untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS is out.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:25   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605

The untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 for iPhone 3GS is out.
Thanks! I didn't look up for the info recently, I am sure this will be a huge hit with the 3GS population.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:45   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
That's great mate that it worked for you on both the occasions. It worked for many more around the globe but it seems iOS5 decided to play games with some poor souls (including me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
You are true in saying that but in my case its genuine-non jailbroken-factory unlocked-iphone updated in its home network (Australia, that is). If you check apple forum, you'll see a whole heap of other genuine users affected by buggy iOS5 and apple is keeping mum on it. Its just the developers/advanced users helping each other even on apple's forum and no tech soppurt from apple what-so-ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks