Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 14:38   #3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
Oh really?? That's a news to me. Thanks.

I don't mind waiting for the official launch in india but then the price difference is too steep. However spending big $$$ to buy a phone that does not have a warranty in India doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
Hi warwithwheels, having used all phones from apple (except 4s) from 2g to 4 I don't think you should be worrying about the quality. 2g still works fine except for the shortened battery life. Only thing you would be missing is the accidental warranty coverage provided in US. The big plus is you get factory unlocked to be used with any network. And keep in mind the additional tax for $649 depending on the state
Old 21st November 2011, 15:14   #3797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha

Mustang, could you tell us where you got this info. i couldnt find this on the internet. I am planning to buy Iphone 4 this week. The prices seems to be the same. Rs.34500 (16GB).

I doubt if 8GB will cost the same. If so i dont see any reason for Apple to produce it. It will be a loss for them.
Airtel and aircel source plus imagine store in noida.

Iphone 4, 8GB for 37900
Iphone 3GS, 8GB for 20900

All rates will go live on 25th nov.
Old 21st November 2011, 15:18   #3798
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Team,

Latest news spreading is that Iphone 4S pre bookings have started and its at a whopping price.

16 GB - 44500 INR
32 GB - 50K INR

I seriously do not understand Apple's focus points. For me 4S is iphone 4 with Siri. Thats it. It certainly does not deserve the 50K mark.

I have been an iphone addict , started with 2G 4 years back and i have from then on using 2G, 3, 3GS and currently settled with iphone 4. 4S somehow did not catch my eye. Will wait for 5 rather than this one.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:36   #3799
Senior - BHPian

They are simply looking to skim the market Aravind. With time, the prices will settle down somewhat. Aircel/Airtel knows fully well that anybody really wanting the 4S and being left with no other alternative will shell out whatever price is quoted. Simple as.

For what it's worth, I'm with you; the 4S is a bit pointless. It's a small-ish step forward. Waiting to upgrade to the 5.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:47   #3800
Distinguished - BHPian

These guys are skimming the market all right.

However, a month after Apple launched the IP4, these phones were available in the Indian grey market for about Rs 54-55K for the 32GB model. Over the next 5-6 months it settled to about 47K. This price level persisted till Apple launched the phone here officially (in Apr?) after which the tag fell to 41K..but then it was nearly a year old and people were eagerly awaiting the IP5. I haven't seen Apple India drop prices but I do see Reliance Digital giving freebies (indirect discounts) on some Apple products. Apple obviously doesnt believe in breaking into the mass market in India. They position their products as 'lifestyle' 'high end' products not utilitarian.

Waiting for the iP5 is a good decision - with a caveat. If an incremental upgrade like the 4S is so expensive imagine the prices we will be quoted for the next gen iphone! We may all be singing the same tune next year.

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2011, 19:06   #3801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Waiting for the iP5 is a good decision - with a caveat. If an incremental upgrade like the 4S is so expensive imagine the prices we will be quoted for the next gen iphone! We may all be singing the same tune next year.

Cheers!
There'll always be the Iphone6 to look forward to in that case. And so on and on.

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2011, 19:15   #3802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
There'll always be the Iphone6 to look forward to in that case. And so on and on.

Cheers!
And at incrementally scarier prices as well! Will I go in for a 4S? Yes, probably. It will be the 64GB version so it turns out as a bigger differentiator compared to my IP4.
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:21   #3803
BHPian

With all this happening, I suggest people get an ipod touch and use one of the many converters out there that can convert an ipod touch into an iphone!

ipod touch to iphone - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:28   #3804
BHPian

Not a bad idea that. But just dont want to carry more things around.

I guess by Iphone 6 we would cross the Rs. 1 lac mark for a 500 GB Iphone 6 with 3D display....and god knows what else...

Seriously, I dont know how to blame for these prices, Apple or Aircell/Airtel, but come on, they should be reported for unfair business practices to start with.

Secondly, whats with Apple giving a international warranty "NOT" applicable in India. This is what makes the telecom guys here able to mark up the price of the phone. Why give an international warranty if it does not apply to the whole world. Why does an Ipad have no issue like this, or any other Apple product for that matter??

Last edited by mav2000 : 23rd November 2011 at 10:31.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:12   #3805
BHPian

Airtel Pre-order page is up for the iPhone 4S:
https://shop.actify.in/s4a/page.do?c...D=categoryPage

16Gb = Rs.44,500
32GB = Rs.50,900
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:37   #3806
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000
Not a bad idea that. But just dont want to carry more things around.

I guess by Iphone 6 we would cross the Rs. 1 lac mark for a 500 GB Iphone 6 with 3D display....and god knows what else...

Seriously, I dont know how to blame for these prices, Apple or Aircell/Airtel, but come on, they should be reported for unfair business practices to start with.

Secondly, whats with Apple giving a international warranty "NOT" applicable in India. This is what makes the telecom guys here able to mark up the price of the phone. Why give an international warranty if it does not apply to the whole world. Why does an Ipad have no issue like this, or any other Apple product for that matter??
Its just not india, even if you buy an iphone in america, they wont repair it in mexico. So basically they do not repair or honor warranties in any country except in the country of purchase
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:21   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Apple's pricing policy has always been clear; they drop the old model to a lower point and price the new model at it's old point. Have no doubt that the 5 will be released at the same price as the 4S is at now while the 4S will drop into the region of the 4 and so on.
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:44   #3808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Apple's pricing policy has always been clear; they drop the old model to a lower point and price the new model at it's old point. Have no doubt that the 5 will be released at the same price as the 4S is at now while the 4S will drop into the region of the 4 and so on.
From what I read in the online press, this time they seemed to have bucked the trend and increased the price of the IP4 instead of reducing it. Of course we all know the 4s is priced way above what the 4 is - 32 GB for 40.9K (32GB, old price not aware of the new) v/s 4s @ 50.9K.

Regards,

PS - I hope this trend doesn't continue with the IP5.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd November 2011 at 19:46. Reason: added PS
Old 24th November 2011, 11:24   #3809
BHPian

Considering that most people consider the 4S as the Iphone 4 + Siri and also that Siri's features are severely limited outside the US, is it even worth getting the 4S in India, that too at such exorbitant rates ?
Old 25th November 2011, 19:03   #3810
BANNED

Hi guys,

I have finally made up my mind to go for an iphone. But the question is which iphone?

I have got these quotes which are with warranty.

Iphone 4, 16GB - 37000
Iphone 4S 16 GB - 42500

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks