Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 18:57   #3706
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine View Post
Upgraded to ios5 yesterday, kind of disappointed. Dont see any major upgrades on the face of it other than the notification pull down. Can someone who has more info educate me on the benefits or is that all to ios5. Ofcourse i am not counting small stuff like newsletter, video, reminder etc.
The camera has quite a few enhancements that are useful:
  • When your phone is locked and you want to take a quick picture, just double-tap on the home button when the phone is locked. along with the audio controls, you will get the camera button to activate the camera.
  • In the locked mode, you can take multiple photos and even browse through the photos you have just taken. All without unlocking the iPhone.
  • The + volume button can be used as the camera shutter release button.
  • The camera now allows Autofocus/Auto exposure (AF/AE) lock. Just tap and hold on the screen when you are focusing on an object. You will get a confirmation with a rectangle around the object and the text "AF/AE" lock.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 21:01   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks will check out Icloud but don't know if its really beneficial.
Tried iCloud , It is good storage option as SDCard is not there.

The sync between the devices take some time , So if you click picture on iPhone sometimes it may take upto 10 mts to synch on iPad 2 and sometimes it was just 1-2 min depending on how fast the Push indication is received.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:10   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko View Post
If you ever found yourself hiding in the closet of another man's bedroom and your phone chose to ring at that very moment, would you rather:

1. Have to quickly slide your hand in your pocket, take your phone out, see the screen and tap a button to switch the damn thing off?

2. Have to quickly slide your hand in your pocket and press the button on top without having to look?

I rest my case.
Almost all phones have ( or used to have ) a hard call accept / reject key conveniently and more intuitively placed in front for this purpose but that should not be a reason enough for removing the call reject from the touch UX.

The point if something is missing in iPhone is it simplicity but for others it is lack of feature.

Let me point out few more design in-congruency in iPhone UX

1. about the popup menus. All the popup's are created equal with same look and feel. App Developer does not really have any kind of option to give accept / reject or yes/no and also there is no mere informative pop-ups.

2. Back navigation : Until the developer explicitly puts a back navigation there is no simple way you can go back to previous screen.It is hard to put in words but as a user I see this as single most irritating point.

I find these 2 design aspects quite irritating and unnatural but I am sure to receive a volly of brickbats in name of simplicity.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:20   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Referring to this.
Attachment 826462

Yes iPhone 4 and iPad 2 on MBP and iPad 1 with Win XP upgrade.

Can you see tabs at the bottom of the screen, that will give you various option to call.
Just realized that I hadnt replied here. Thanks Jaggu, this worked but then again some of the apps which were recently bought were not in iTunes. So had to reinstall manually. I thought they were transferred(I had got a prompt to do so & I selected yes to that) when I has synced before the upgrade.

Thanks again.

Now reading posts on iCloud before taking the plunge
Old 18th October 2011, 22:50   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Almost all phones have ( or used to have ) a hard call accept / reject key conveniently and more intuitively placed in front for this purpose but that should not be a reason enough for removing the call reject from the touch UX.

The point if something is missing in iPhone is it simplicity but for others it is lack of feature.

Let me point out few more design in-congruency in iPhone UX

1. about the popup menus. All the popup's are created equal with same look and feel. App Developer does not really have any kind of option to give accept / reject or yes/no and also there is no mere informative pop-ups.

2. Back navigation : Until the developer explicitly puts a back navigation there is no simple way you can go back to previous screen.It is hard to put in words but as a user I see this as single most irritating point.

I find these 2 design aspects quite irritating and unnatural but I am sure to receive a volly of brickbats in name of simplicity.
Amit, I am not out to defend the iPhone UX. But think from the perspective of a non-techie user. Would these points matter to them? We as techies have different requirements and would like things to be customized to our requirements. That's not the case with normal users. My mom does not have any issue browsing through the iPhone UI, the above two design issues notwithstanding.

Now to answer your questions from a personal UX perspective --

1. Informative-only pop-up menus don't make sense on a mobile phone. We don't look at our screens constantly like we do on our desktops. Such pop-ups would be easily missed. As for pop-ups with two action calls, I remember seeing such pop-ups in various mobile apps.

2. It is upto the developer if they want to provide a back functionality. If the user needs to go back frequently in their app, they should have thought about it and provided that option! If they have not, that's bad UI design!
Old 19th October 2011, 08:49   #3711

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The camera has quite a few enhancements that are useful:
  • When your phone is locked and you want to take a quick picture, just double-tap on the home button when the phone is locked.
    ========
    You will get a confirmation with a rectangle around the object and the text "AF/AE" lock.
Thanks for the info, these features do sound good for mobile photography enthusiasts.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:38   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Got my IPhone 4 yesterday and cut my BSNL SIM to micro SIM size and upgraded the software to iOS 5 (775MB), this is my first Apple Phone. If it hadn't been for the cult status of this gadget would any one go the distance and chop of the SIM, ITunes is another headache. I can easily download photo's from N8 to the computer, but this has to go through the ITunes only. My N8 recognizes the Iphone but Iphone doesn't recognize N8 on Bluetooth, so can't pair and sync contacts to my Iphone, N8 feels 'jilted'. It is cool and has a great UI and display. I haven't used my business SIM which have been using for last 14 !!! years (this is my lifeline and don't want to chop it; if Tim Cook thinks otherwise and reverts back to the mini SIM for iphone5) but have used a BSNL 3G sim which was lying idle, so its at best an expensive toy which been a marketing success like no other. pics of the IPhone courtsey N8.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-191020111228.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-191020111229.jpg  

Old 19th October 2011, 13:01   #3713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I haven't used my business SIM which have been using for last 14 !!! years (this is my lifeline and don't want to chop it; if Tim Cook thinks otherwise and reverts back to the mini SIM for iphone5) but have used a BSNL 3G sim which was lying idle, so its at best an expensive toy which been a marketing success like no other. pics of the IPhone courtsey N8.

Cut your primary sim and use it in your iphone.

Micro Sim Card to Standard Sim Card Adapter (Black) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Meanwhile, buy this adapter just in case you ever want to go back to the n8.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 13:19   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
Got my IPhone 4 yesterday and cut my BSNL SIM to micro SIM size and upgraded the software to iOS 5 (775MB), this is my first Apple Phone. If it hadn't been for the cult status of this gadget would any one go the distance and chop of the SIM, ITunes is another headache. I can easily download photo's from N8 to the computer, but this has to go through the ITunes only. My N8 recognizes the Iphone but Iphone doesn't recognize N8 on Bluetooth, so can't pair and sync contacts to my Iphone, N8 feels 'jilted'. It is cool and has a great UI and display. I haven't used my business SIM which have been using for last 14 !!! years (this is my lifeline and don't want to chop it; if Tim Cook thinks otherwise and reverts back to the mini SIM for iphone5) but have used a BSNL 3G sim which was lying idle, so its at best an expensive toy which been a marketing success like no other. pics of the IPhone courtsey N8.
Once unthetered jailbreak is available for iOS5 you can jailbreak your phone. Then you are not depended on iTunes for copying files. iphonefolders.com is very easy to use.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 15:21   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Nilesh! Great ideas and great help for using iphone in locked mode. Thanks for the tip. Let us know if you have more.How to upload a camera roll photo to mail or teambhp thread. I send it as a mail to my mail id then down load and attach. It is sure touching the nose around the neck. If you know how to touch directly let us learn from you.
Old 19th October 2011, 15:48   #3716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
Nilesh! Great ideas and great help for using iphone in locked mode. Thanks for the tip. Let us know if you have more.How to upload a camera roll photo to mail or teambhp thread. I send it as a mail to my mail id then down load and attach. It is sure touching the nose around the neck. If you know how to touch directly let us learn from you.
In the New Reply window, click the little "+" sign in the red bar on top. Choose "Attach From Photos" and you'll be dropped into the Photos app. You can then select a picture from the Camera Roll or any album. Wait for the upload to finish, return to the New Reply window and continue your reply. Hope this helps.
Orko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 16:40   #3717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Hi all,

I updated to 'ios 5' a couple of days ago. However, after the update, my iPod has reset ie., it is asking me to connect to iTunes. The trouble is iTunes is not recognizing the device (the iTunes and USB cable screen continue to appear). I've tried everything in the book but in vain.
To those who have faced similar problems, here is how I fixed it.

We plugged in the iPod to another laptop. The previous version of iTunes (ie., not 10.5) recognised it in recovery mode and suggested a few steps for restore. After completing it, the device is running just fine and the best part is that I've not lost any data! It surprised me since I'd not taken a backup before all this drama during the update.

So in case anyone here is facing such issues, please try connecting to another computer.

P.S: While we were at it, we updated my friend's iPad and fiddled around for sometime. Not really sure of ios 5 reviews. Maybe a cloud activation will set things straight!
Old 19th October 2011, 23:50   #3718
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, these features do sound good for mobile photography enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Nilesh! Great ideas and great help for using iphone in locked mode. Thanks for the tip. Let us know if you have more.
Here are some more new iOS5 features that I found useful:
  • System-wide dictionary: Can be accessed by selecting a word and choosing from the pop-up menu
  • Keyboard shortcuts: You can now define shortcuts for common phrases. For e.g. 'omw' expands to "On my way!" when replying by SMS. This is accessible in Settings -> General -> Keyboard.
  • Rich text formatting in Mail app: Can be accessed by tapping a word and accessing from the pop-up menu.
  • Mail app supports flagging a specific message. This is available along with the Mark as unread option.
  • Alternate routes in Google maps: You can get multiple routes when searching for directions. You can tap on one of the routes to see the turn by turn directions for that route.
  • Safari has many enhancements, including a private browsing mode. Can be activated from Settings -> Safari.
  • Photos app allows cropping and auto-enhancement of photos.
  • Custom vibrations: You can define custom vibrations for specific contacts. Great to have when you are in meetings and still know who is calling. Again from the Accessibility menu.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 04:10   #3719
BHPian

When is the untethered JB for os5 expected for the iphone 4?
Old 20th October 2011, 07:11   #3720
Senior - BHPian

Any app to increase battery life of the IPhone 4? Lol. Battery is poor visavis the N8.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks