Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 11:08   #8581
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
prior to this, I had purchased second hand iPhone 3 and 5 from the US and they worked great. I had got new iPhone 4 from Singapore and no issues whatsoever. I recently unlocked an AT&T locked iPhone 4, which I was only using for my US trips via an Internet unlocking site and this worked brilliantly as well. It was idling in my cupboard for the past 4 years. This was network locked and again no issues with Indian carriers, though not LTE.

I am currently using an iPhone 5S bought in the US. Otherwise flawless but no LTE. . So I was a bit wary of repeating the same mistake again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
After reading another trash android vs iOS comparison blog, I decided to put up my own experience. Hope it is useful to anyone considering iOS in the future!
http://freerider.in/blog/six-months-...-with-android/
IMO, great comparison.

- I agree, apart from the 16GB thing that Apple uses to milk its customers, other compliants are liveable with!
- You can switch off auto-download of updates, btw. Its there somewhere in the settings.
- Keyboards: Apple should bring in swipe capability -- that should complete the missing elements of the keyboard featureset.

Last edited by nileshch : 31st January 2016 at 11:15. Reason: reply to other post
Old 31st January 2016, 12:24   #8582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
- I agree, apart from the 16GB thing that Apple uses to milk its customers, other compliants are liveable with!
- You can switch off auto-download of updates, btw. Its there somewhere in the settings.
- Keyboards: Apple should bring in swipe capability -- that should complete the missing elements of the keyboard featureset.
a. I can't find out how to stop iOS updates - you can stop auto-updating only for the apps, not the system updates AFAIK.
b. Agreed. Its 2015 for God's sake. They really need to catch up on the keyboard now.
Old 1st February 2016, 12:09   #8583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a. I can't find out how to stop iOS updates - you can stop auto-updating only for the apps, not the system updates AFAIK.
b. Agreed. Its 2015 for God's sake. They really need to catch up on the keyboard now.
You can now install any keyboard and use it. IIRC swipe keyboard is there on the app store for free.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:54   #8584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
You can now install any keyboard and use it. IIRC swipe keyboard is there on the app store for free.
True but their own keyboard should have swipe capabilities - I think that's a fair expectation in 2016!
Old 1st February 2016, 14:37   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True but their own keyboard should have swipe capabilities - I think that's a fair expectation in 2016!
I have tried few 3rd party keyboards on iphone but i don't find any of them as accurate as the stock keyboard. I have used few phones in android and google stock keyboard is(was? havent used the stock android kb in last 1 year) really bad. After using a few, i found the swiftkey the best for my usage. Still its nowhere near the iphone stock keyboard. Looking at the way apple updates these things, fair expectation should be in 2018 .

PS: these are strictly my opinion and i am sure many will find the other way around.
Old 1st February 2016, 14:48   #8586
BHPian

Quote:
After reading another trash android vs iOS comparison blog, I decided to put up my own experience. Hope it is useful to anyone considering iOS in the future!
http://freerider.in/blog/six-months-...-with-android/

Nice write-up and shows different perspectives and wants of users. I have been using iOs for around 4 years. Due to unavoidable circumstances, have been using a friend's Samsung S3 for last 6 days,since I had to give my iPhone to my Dad, who damaged his iphone . Thoroughly frustrated with the Android OS and the complexities it throws at you, out of the box. I had to search online to find out how to disable alerts for emails. I have consumed my data limit in 3 days, due to constant app updates. Many other minor quirks, that made me appreciate iOS. Finally on Saturday, ordered the 6S from Flipkart,since I can no longer continue to be pained.

All in all, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 1st February 2016 at 15:06.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:38   #8587
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here who has bought the iPhone from Dubai recently? Was planning a trip to Dubai in the last week of March.
Also received a call from Croma yesterday that the iPhone 6s 64gb price has further reduced to 61,999 effective 1st February. If the price variation isn't huge, i would prefer buying it from here itself.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:53   #8588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Anyone here who has bought the iPhone from Dubai recently? Was planning a trip to Dubai in the last week of March.
Also received a call from Croma yesterday that the iPhone 6s 64gb price has further reduced to 61,999 effective 1st February. If the price variation isn't huge, i would prefer buying it from here itself.
61,999/- is expensive compared to online deals. I purchased it on 30 January when Flipkart was running a promo. Unfortunately I had to select the Golden colour, when my preferred choice was Silver. I paid 54,299/- for the 6S 64 GB Gold colour and have just now received the parcel from Flipkart.
From my days of hunting for deals, I found out the following.

Silver is the most expensive everywhere. Gray & Gold are priced 2nd and Rose Gold is the cheapest.

Amazon has it for 59000 odd.
Try PAYTM who seem to having a cashback of Rs 4500 ( in paytm money).

I would suggest to wait till around Valentine's day for discounts and deals to reappear.
A friend got his 6s 64 GB silver on paytm for 51000 ( 61000 less 10000 cashback) around the 26 Jan deal time.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:01   #8589
Senior - BHPian

Bought mine when Apple Store was launched at MOE. Paid AED 3000 for 128 gigs, and exchanged an old 4S in terrific condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Old 4th February 2016, 13:25   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Got an operator update couple of days back from Airtel and ever since when I have 4G reception it shows 4G on the top bar instead of LTE.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454572480.152616.jpg
Old 4th February 2016, 15:32   #8591
Team-BHP Support

Same here and i heard Mumbai also got the update last week or so, Airtel Branding i guess.
Old 4th February 2016, 15:34   #8592
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Same here and i heard Mumbai also got the update last week or so, Airtel Branding i guess.
Yes, thats correct. Now airtel displays 4G instead of LTE in Mumbai.
Old 4th February 2016, 16:10   #8593
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been experiencing this "4G" since the last 15 days. I was even surprised to see the speeds that I clocked. The Speedtest app recorded a download speed of 19.3Mbps and upload of 11Mbps. Never expected such speeds on my mobile.
Old 5th February 2016, 08:35   #8594
Team-BHP Support

Guys on 4G/LTE, did you change your sim cards as well? [Specific to AirTel]
Old 5th February 2016, 08:55   #8595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys on 4G/LTE, did you change your sim cards as well? [Specific to AirTel]
Yes, The customer service centre will give you a replacement sim that can be used as either a complete sim, micro or nano sim. Instructions to transfer your current number to the sim will be provided along with the pack. It is free of charge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks