Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:06   #14071
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
This is crazy, my 12 pro max will barely do 7 hours of screen time with max brightness and heavy camera/gaming use. Also have you seen significant health degradation on your phone? Mines dropped almost 20% in just 9 months and I never abuse the battery, never deep discharge, still
Currently at 95% health after about 6 months. I don't play games, nor watch movies on the phone which might be why I get good battery. My screen times are around this:

The iPhone Thread-img_8513.png
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:10   #14072
Senior - BHPian

My 12-128GB(along with the 20W charger) arrived yesterday evening. After 6s this is a huge upgrade for me in every aspect. LED screen looks dope. Data transfer was hasslefree except for office apps. Size feels big though & heavier as expected. Single hand usage isn’t possible as of now, need to learn hand gymnastics without dropping

The iPhone Thread-f1649affd16c43b4bccdf271f712239f.jpeg

Will miss the touchID and compactness of 6s. Other than that loving it. Hoping for a smooth and long ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They all turn yellow eventually. Degrees and duration might vary, but none stay transparent forever.
Yeah of course. I just won’t like it getting yellow in a couple of weeks as mentioned in some of the reviews for Spigen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
They will turn yellow. Consider the cover as a consumable and change every 6-12 months or learn to live with it.
Yeah 6 months would be pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Why is the 12 or 12 mini not available on amazon?
12 pro has better deal on Amazon. My brother got it from Amazon at 90k after some 10k discount using HDFC credit card. For 12/12mini flipkart and for 12pro Amazon is the way to go.

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd October 2021 at 21:19.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 09:07   #14073
BHPian

My brother also got the iPhone 12 128GB (White) @ 51999 (Axis card discount of 3k) from Flipkart BBD. At this price, I think it's a steal deal.
Repsol is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:26   #14074
BHPian

Looking to buy an iPhone 12 and see that it is around 56K for the 128GB version and 66K for the 256GB version in Flipkart BBD sale now. This is going to be my main driver phone for work including meetings and official calls, personal stuff, some music, some bit of Youtube, Prime or Netflix and other social media consumption.

Purely thinking of an iPhone due to the updates for a few years and the privacy settings in it. I plan to keep it for 3 years atleast since this being a 5G phone, I can switch to 5G if it launches in a year or two. Going to switch to an iPhone from Android and will have to see how it goes. No other gadgets in the Apple ecosystem to make use of the AirDrop or other continuity features. Data transfer will have to be from my Windows laptop through iTunes only.

A bit skeptical on the move and have a few queries. Could anyone please help clarify these:
1. How easy or tough is it switching apps from Android to iOS?
2. My main question is will the iPhone 12 last for an entire day with the day to day tasks mentioned above? Or do I need to get an additional battery pack or Magsafe pack?
3. Is it worth using an iPhone without the Apple ecosystem or am I better sticking to Android?
4. Is it worth getting the 256 GB version over the 128GB version? My music collection may occupy close to 20GB of space I guess. Which one is better for backup from a cost POV? iCloud or Google?
whencut86 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:49   #14075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
A bit skeptical on the move and have a few queries. Could anyone please help clarify these:
2. My main question is will the iPhone 12 last for an entire day with the day to day tasks mentioned above? Or do I need to get an additional battery pack or Magsafe pack?
3. Is it worth using an iPhone without the Apple ecosystem or am I better sticking to Android?
4. Is it worth getting the 256 GB version over the 128GB version? My music collection may occupy close to 20GB of space I guess. Which one is better for backup from a cost POV? iCloud or Google?
1. It’s absolutely no problem, you just need to get used to a new way of doing things. It will happen quickly, I have been up and down a few times. Except for What’s App transfer, everything else will be no real bother.

2. You should be fine for a day, just buy the Apple 20W charger, it’s fast enough for a quick top up if required. Don’t buy anything else initially till you figure things out.

3. After using both sides extensively, I very much prefer the iOS garden. iPhone is fine just on it’s own too.

4. Since you are going to keep the phone for a long time, get the 256GB, it would be wiser at a 10 thousand difference. I don’t use iCloud or Google, don’t need it.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:29   #14076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Looking to buy an iPhone 12 and see that it is around 56K for the 128GB version and 66K for the 256GB version in Flipkart BBD sale now. This is going to be my main driver phone for work including meetings and official calls, personal stuff, some music, some bit of Youtube, Prime or Netflix and other social media consumption.

Purely thinking of an iPhone due to the updates for a few years and the privacy settings in it. I plan to keep it for 3 years atleast since this being a 5G phone, I can switch to 5G if it launches in a year or two. Going to switch to an iPhone from Android and will have to see how it goes. No other gadgets in the Apple ecosystem to make use of the AirDrop or other continuity features. Data transfer will have to be from my Windows laptop through iTunes only.

In addition to what advised, if you switching from android to IOS and considering it for official usage too, then will advise to also keep your current Android phone with you instead of going for exchange.
Just to be a safe backup for those official works.
I also bought ip12 from BBD but kept my current OP6 with me as I have another Work profile on it for official communication
So wanted to have the working setup handy before I am used to iOS.

Some points to consider (from my experience): I tried Move to IOS app to transfer my contacts and messages, calendars etc from Android to iOS during initial setup, it showed completed message on both android and iphone but nothin was done. So this method is not reliable (Also check reviews comments on playstore for this app)

Whatsapp transfer is also not possible using standard ways (Didn’t try third party apps)

Contacts were moved via google account sync, so no issues there.
Also pics and other data can be managed if synced over google cloud.

Apple cloud is just 5 GB free and rest space needs to purchased, so I use that for only important data sync except photos which we can take backup on PC using itunes (That is also a bit pain on windows based machine’s as I experienced during my wife’s Iphone backup )

But good to go for apple for its finesse and privacy practices + best processor and materials.

Regards,
Raviraj
Old 4th October 2021, 17:43   #14077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
My 12-128GB(along with the 20W charger) arrived yesterday evening. After 6s this is a huge upgrade for me in every aspect.

Since you came from 6S, why did you not opt for Mini? Due to battery life ?
Because even at marginally smaller size, you still get 5.4 Inch screen compared to your 4.7 inch on 6S.
I am a 6S user myself and I feel my wife's X is also big in size so I may be consider 13 mini next year. The regular 12/13 may be too big to handle for me.
Old 4th October 2021, 18:03   #14078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
1. It’s absolutely no problem, you just need to get used to a new way of doing things. It will happen quickly, I have been up and down a few times. Except for What’s App transfer, everything else will be no real bother.

2. You should be fine for a day, just buy the Apple 20W charger, it’s fast enough for a quick top up if required. Don’t buy anything else initially till you figure things out.

3. After using both sides extensively, I very much prefer the iOS garden. iPhone is fine just on it’s own too.

4. Since you are going to keep the phone for a long time, get the 256GB, it would be wiser at a 10 thousand difference. I don’t use iCloud or Google, don’t need it.

Cheers
Hi , is there any way to easily transfer our messages (SMS) from android to iphone?
As I mentioned above, I tried ‘Move to IOS’ app from playstore during Initial Setup of my new iPhone 12 but that transferred ‘nothing’ even after following properly and getting confirmation popups on both Android and iPhone that transfer was completed. (I had selected only contacts and messages option)

I dont want to use any 3rd party apps for transferring my messages.
Is there any other alternative way to do that ( now that my setup is already done on iphone and already in use so I dont want to reset it again and retry the move to IOS app )

TIA.
Old 4th October 2021, 18:06   #14079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Since you came from 6S, why did you not opt for Mini? Due to battery life ?
Because even at marginally smaller size, you still get 5.4 Inch screen compared to your 4.7 inch on 6S.
I had the exact same thought process initially. However an important point we miss is the bezels around 6s. Its not just the screen, but the entire physical phone u hold and operate. So actual dimensions are to be compared. When I compared that the 12mini/13mini actually is smaller.

The iPhone Thread-iphone-size-compare.jpg

I was still okay to live with it but thought of checking it physically once and hence visited apple store to get a feel. Here's my post on the same. Mini was actually tiny for my palms and the notch makes things worse. Notch size is identical in 12 and mini , so it eats up more space in mini compared to 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Before BBD kicks in thought of checking out the mini sizewise as I have heard lot of people mention its kinda tiny. Well for my palms it indeed is.

Attachment 2214004

Post that checked out the 12 and that felt a little large Am assuming due to the flatter sides the surface area feels a little more than usual slim 6.1 inchers

Attachment 2214005
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
...I am a 6S user myself and I feel my wife's X is also big in size so I may be consider 13 mini next year. The regular 12/13 may be too big to handle for me.
12 is indeed big to handle when you come from 6s as I have mentioned in earlier posts but that's a necessary compromise. Pixel 4a size is perfect for me but they don't make such phones anymore. Yes 12 mini battery woes I have heard of but 13mini is better in comparison.

I would strongly suggest visit a store and physically hold the phone before going by just screen size numbers.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Pick up an Apple Watch and you don't have to key in password every time. The watch opens the phone
That's another 15k(Apple watch-3) atleast. Quite a steep price to pay for touchID compensation isnt it?

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th October 2021 at 18:22.
Old 4th October 2021, 18:10   #14080
Senior - BHPian

Pick up an Apple Watch and you don't have to key in password every time. The watch opens the phone
Quote:
Need fingerprint authentication. Can't keep typing in passwords because FaceID is useless with a mask on
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 18:41   #14081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks. I have no real use for a smart-watch otherwise, so it would make for a rather expensive phone unlocking mechanism .
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 19:28   #14082
BHPian

Did a long pending tech upgrade, thanks to the Flipkart BBD and Amazon

1) Bought an iPhone 12 64gb @48.5k - Was planning for 128GB, but then I did check my 4 year old iPhone 8 plus 64gb and it had more than 50% free, so decided on 64gb. I don't store much on the device, been a long time iCloud family plan user.
2) Apple watch se gps + cellular 44 mm @30.4k
3) Airpods pro @ 15.5k

I will be missing touch ID for sure, hope it won't be much of an issue with the iWatch unlock. Received the airpods today andfell in love with the awesome noise cancellation right away

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 4th October 2021 at 19:29.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 20:51   #14083
Team-BHP Support

OCD question.

Is the mute slider on the iPhones a bit 'wobbly' by design? I've noticed it on more than one device in my circle across models, and it's a wee bit annoying.
Old 4th October 2021, 21:23   #14084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OCD question.

Is the mute slider on the iPhones a bit 'wobbly' by design? I've noticed it on more than one device in my circle across models, and it's a wee bit annoying.
It was a firm toggle switch on my ex-5, 5s, SE (previous gen) but was a little wobbly on my wife's ex-7 plus. Her current 11 has a firm toggle again.

I thought the newer gen have quality issues when I first used the 7 plus vs. my SE. But the current 11 looks well built. Anyhow all the devices have lasted the abuse of 3-4 years each.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 21:31   #14085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OCD question.

Currently on 6S. It’s absolutely firm.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed