Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2021, 18:52   #14176
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
In my opinion, the only area where the 12 and 13 are a MAJOR upgrade is the OLED XDR display (for everyday Joe's who are not bothered by camera specs). Apart from the screen, the iPhone XR still is a very competent phone and with Apple's optimization it will last till 2024 at the very least.

On a different note, After being an exclusive android user, (S7 edge -> Oneplus 7T) the biggest reason I prefer iOS ecosystem is the stability and consistently stable updates. These two reasons alone are enough to switch people over to the apple garden. The only android manufacturer that comes close is Google and I would have loved to have gotten the Pixel 6 if Google had shown any amount of interest in India, maybe in 4-5 years time if they find India to be a competitive market I might make the switch, but until then I'll enjoy using my iPhone 13 (I'll be getting it on Friday )
Congratulations on the 13! There are other major differences as well, the XR, non pro 11 and 12 put out 625 nits of screen brightness, while the non pro 13 puts out 800 nits (same as pro 12’s) and I can say between using my 12 at 800 vs my mums mini at 625 the difference outdoors and in sunlight is massive as the lower brightness really impacts screen readability under such conditions.
Old 25th October 2021, 19:02   #14177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
On a different note, After being an exclusive android user, (S7 edge -> Oneplus 7T) the biggest reason I prefer iOS ecosystem is the stability and consistently stable updates. These two reasons alone are enough to switch people over to the apple garden. The only android manufacturer that comes close is Google and I would have loved to have gotten the Pixel 6 if Google had shown any amount of interest in India, maybe in 4-5 years time if they find India to be a competitive market I might make the switch, but until then I'll enjoy using my iPhone 13 (I'll be getting it on Friday )
My mom uses a Pixel, wife uses a pixel 2 and im on a pixel 3xl. All of them still working fine. However, i wanted to upgrade my phone and transfer my phone to my mom and was super disappointed in google's attitude towards Indian market. I have no interest in switching to any other Android phone and i'm being pushed towards apple ecosystem. I'll have to see how i adjust to this brand new ecosystem i guess.
Old 25th October 2021, 19:18   #14178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Congratulations on the 13! There are other major differences as well.
Thanks, even the iPhone 11 and 12 screens seemed bright when compared to my current 7T so it's going to be a welcome change. For me personally, I'm more looking forward to having a stable Software experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
I have no interest in switching to any other Android phone and i'm being pushed towards apple ecosystem. I'll have to see how i adjust to this brand new ecosystem i guess.
I can understand this conundrum, what sealed the deal for me is the fact that everyone else in my family have only used iPhones before so now the circle is complete of sorts. Once 1 person makes the switch, it's only a matter of time before everyone is pulled in

The key to buying iPhones in india (personal opinion) is to wait for the festive season and the massive Amazon/Flipkart sales. During these times, the value proposition is really too good to be true and this is when people make the switch because the iPhones are effectively priced at par or even cheaper than their android counterparts.
Old 25th October 2021, 20:23   #14179
BHPian

Quote:
By all means, if the cheaper phones are working well for you, stick with them and save the cash, money is hard earned after all.
Without going into any debate about OS or different ecosystems, I want to know what more can expensive phones do extra over cheaper phones of the range of 15 to 30k? I am not talking about expensive phones doing something better or faster but certain features that cheaper phones might be lacking altogether.
I am not very much uptodate about current smartphone scene as I never felt the need to look beyond my current phone and maybe I am missing some important feature(s). You can list these feature differences for the range of Apple phones as well as Android phones.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 25th October 2021 at 20:25.
Old 25th October 2021, 21:04   #14180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
You can list these feature differences for the range of Apple phones as well as Android phones.
Thanks in advance.
1. The single biggest differentiator for me is that more expensive phones (Android or apple) dont show you ads on a phone. I'd rather pay the premium than look at ads on lock screen and other screens

2. In case of apple, its the accessories that makes me want to switch to their ecosystem rather than the phone itself. Apple watch for e.g. works best in conjunction with an iphone and who would say no to fall detection and ecg and other awesome features on that thing?

3. AI on pixel phone is a thing of beauty. Whether its my pictures app or google lens or whatever else it may be, a lot of these features are exclusive to google phones and even if not, available firat on these phones.
Old 25th October 2021, 21:20   #14181
BHPian

I have yet to encounter a phone showing ads so can't comment on that but I guess if we tolerate ads in everything including this forum too then what's more one thing with ads?
What is fall detection?
Also health features and things like google lens or photos tools don't interest me.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 25th October 2021, 21:33   #14182
BHPian

Quote:
I want to know what more can expensive phones do extra over cheaper phones of the range of 15 to 30k?
Thanks in advance.
Hello,
From my biased opinion, the higher the price range, the better the build quality of the phone . Expensive ones will be assured of software and firmware updates atleast for the next 3 years. Camera and photography abilities will be highly upgraded. The very experience of using a premium phone is different when compared to a lower price point.

However, these are only “wants” and not “needs” for most of the population out there . I myself use an iphone since 2016. I have changed the phone every 2 years owing to the desire to have a different iphone with larger screen, better battery backup etc. however, I try and take good care of the phone and not be rough with it. Hence when i exchanged it at apple, I received a decent chunk off the price. Similarly with expensive Samsungs to receive a good chunk of discount . But, Not everyone may think the same as i do.

In my family i have seen folks changing their androids every year and every 18 months. These phones are less than 20k and are NOT exactly taken care of well. By that time the battery has taken a beating, the display isnt exactly as bright as before and the phone starts heating up , hanging etc etc.

In my opinion the current iphone should easily last 4 years if taken care of properly.

Fall detection-if you have the device on you and God-forbid you encounter a fall or slip while standing or while walking the device detects it and alerts the person (and emergency personnel) if you have configured so. The apple watch has this.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 25th October 2021 at 21:35.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 21:43   #14183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have yet to encounter a phone showing ads so can't comment on that but I guess if we tolerate ads in everything including this forum too then what's more one thing with ads?
What is fall detection?
Also health features and things like google lens or photos tools don't interest me.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Because we use this forum by choice, so we understand the need for ads. But a phone is purely personal. So ads on a personal phone seems too much intrusion.

If you haven't yet used google lens, you are missing a great piece of tech. You simply point your camera to any object, say a plant, and click the lens button. Google will tell you the exact name of the plant. It will filter out phone numbers from banner photos, even a shirt shopping link from a model's photo.

One reason for costlier phones is their beast of a camera, which a 15k phone just can't match.

No one is going to do a comprehensive 'list of the features you might miss' because no one cares. Some people are unnecessarily fixated on the 'good old days', but the new technologies are to make lives easier and interesting. Visit a nearby shop and see if you can spot the difference between a 15k phone and a 50k phone. I am sure with an open mind, you will see why the high range phones cost so.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 21:55   #14184
Senior - BHPian

I've been on an iPhone SE (Apr, 2016) bought during a trip in Singapore immediately after launch. It has served me very well all these years except for a battery replacement that I did about a year back. Many falls and no issues at all. About 10 days ago, the phone fell in the petrol bunk and the screen cracked. Got it replaced at a reputed iPhone repair guy near my house who sells iPhone parts on amazon a lot. Post replacement he said that there was a slight bulge in the battery and the screen was not sitting properly. In the last few days the battery backup has gone down from the previous 6 hrs to barely 30 mins. Also the display has lifted up even more. The repair guy wants to replace the battery now. Cost of the screen was Rs. 2500/-. Now another Rs. 1300/- for the battery.

Incidentally the phone had broken on a drive to Mysore for a surgery(Friday 15/10/2021), When I was operating, my wife went and picked up a iPhone 13 mini at Forum Mall there for Rs. 70,000/-. She was assured that it will be billed the following day if I wanted to exchange it for a different color or model. Also I could swipe my HDFC card for a 6% cash back. Unfortunately it was white color (Sick of the pink iPhone SE launch edition for the past 5 years). The next morning I returned the phone wanting a black one which was out of stock. I went to return the unopened box within 12 Hrs of purchase. He offered to buy back the phone for Rs. 50,000 as he had already billed it and the IMEI number was entered in the system. Finally after talking to the owner, they agreed to send me a black one as soon as they get it or refund the entire money except for 2% card charges (Debit card was used). I gave back the phone, collected an advance note and returned to Bengaluru. But now he says Black is not available and has refunded minus card charges of 2% and is holding back Rs. 10,000/- GST. He will collect the remaining money if and when he gets a black piece. Black ones are available in Bengaluru but my money is stuck there. Can I do anything?
Old 25th October 2021, 22:05   #14185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

No one is going to do a comprehensive 'list of the features you might miss' because no one cares. so.
Thanks for your suggestions. Forums like these are to share knowledge and also these create a database for future reference. I myself read very old threads on this forum. So it's true that your suggestions will help me personally but it may also help others now and in future.

I have used google lens and personally I didn't find it too useful.

Fall detection seems like a useful but impractical tool. Let's see how many people keep this feature enabled.
It's like ELCB which although is mandatory but almost everyone has it disabled.
Old 25th October 2021, 23:25   #14186
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Forums like these are to share knowledge and also these create a database for future reference. I myself read very old threads on this forum. So it's true that your suggestions will help me personally but it may also help others now and in future.

I have used google lens and personally I didn't find it too useful.

Fall detection seems like a useful but impractical tool. Let's see how many people keep this feature enabled.
It's like ELCB which although is mandatory but almost everyone has it disabled.
Fall detection isn’t designed for healthy, non senior citizens who aren’t at risk of falling. It’s for very old people or those with pre existing medical conditions who are at a high risk of falling down and don’t live near family/are alone and the emergency alert and contact feature once a fall is detected can literally save their life in many cases, just like the inbuilt ECG predicting a potential heart attack or alerting people who are experiencing a minor one and don’t realise it, it has in those cases, saved their lives and I think Apple deserves some credit for this whether you like it as a company or not. Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 06:04   #14187
BHPian

Quote:
I think Apple deserves some credit for this whether you like it as a company or not. Cheers.
As a matter of fact I don't 'like' any company. I buy products from companies/brands based on their recent performance history and future stability re warranty performance and that is as far as I will go to giving any thoughts to a company or a brand.
Companies know only one language and that is language of profit.
If one day Apple realises that they can no longer turn profit by selling premium products and can instead make profits by selling cheap budget products then I am sure Apple will go into that direction.
Now coming to fall detection : as I said some ideas are useful no doubt but impractical to implement. I gave an example of ELCB. My initial thoughts re fall detection is the same. I may turn out to be wrong. Time will tell.
Now where is the role of Apple in this? Apple is one of many implementers of this tool. It seems a very recent one at that.
Fall detection is an old idea and let's see if Apple implementation persuades people to start and keep using it.

Now I feel that I dont have any thing useful to add wrt to iphone or Apple so I would rather keep quiet here. If need be, I will take discussion further to Android/Apple thread.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 26th October 2021 at 06:18.
Old 26th October 2021, 09:23   #14188
BHPian

What is common between vegans, linux fanboys and android fanboys? They proselytize. They can't just be happy with their lifestyle choice and let others be. Instead they have to constantly barge into the space of the "lost" and attempt to convert them.

Scroll up through this thread and every few pages, there is one fanboy or the other paying a visit and telling the unfaithful how they are doing a mistake being in the service of the satan.

Dear Android fanboys, your favourite OS was made by copying an idea Apple spent millions of dollars and a number of years perfecting. And even after 14 years, cannot come close to with respect to ease of use and usability. Your devices sell only because Apple "overprice" their products. If a day comes when Apple starts selling 20k iPhones, all the Samsung's and the Xiaomis and other Chinese toymakers will go bust.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:37   #14189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
If a day comes when Apple starts selling 20k iPhones, all the Samsung's and the Xiaomis and other Chinese toymakers will go bust.
I am afraid that day won't come. Apple tried it once with 5c, burnt their fingers badly and have shied away since then. Apple knows fully well that people buy the brand and they can't afford to dilute it. Of course, the experience comes with it too.

I have been their supporter having owned multiple iphones over years. But I also say they're very very overpriced. I would say they're like a Toyota fortuner, should be considered for a long term investment.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th October 2021 at 09:50.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:59   #14190
Team-BHP Support

Any others here facing issues with iOS15 and CarPlay when using Waze?

Since the update to iOS15, this has become such a pain. If you having music playing on Spotify or even the Music app, the moment you open Waze or even if Waze is running in the background, it hogs the volume, subduing it. Adjusting the volume on the device to increase it makes no difference. Only way to fix it is open Waze on the phone, and then slide up to close the app. This then fixes it, till ofcourse you open the app on CarPlay.

I have seen this described on some sites like Autoevolution, but ofcourse no official word from Apple. I raised a ticket with Waze to bring it to their notice, but got a template response as a reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks