Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:09   #346
BHPian

Go to Option
then Manage your account then Forward Mail to another account

if you have upgraded to LIVE this will NOT WORK
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:21   #347
Senior - BHPian

I suggest folks hold off their iPhone purchases for a week. A price drop of 100$ is likely on 28th of Feb.
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:05   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I suggest folks hold off their iPhone purchases for a week. A price drop of 100$ is likely on 28th of Feb.
I wonder how long this will be sustainable, or whether it means a change in their marketing strategy from carrier-specific sales. Apple loses $126 per calendar year for phones that are not used on their partner network (revenue share). Of the approximately 3.2 million sold so far, less than 2 million are said to be active on partner networks where they would get recurring annual revenues.
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:37   #349
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt that Apple would be making those kinds of losses per phone now since the input cost would be significantly lower because of economies of scale. A loss of 126$ would have been the case at the outset is quite possible.

Rumor mills say that the next version (1.1.4) would be unlocked OTB and also would support the upcoming Apple SDK natively without any jailbreaking.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd February 2008 at 13:47.
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:47   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt that Apple would be making those kinds of losses per phone now as compared to before as by now the input cost would be significantly lower because of economies of scale. A loss of 126$ would have been the case at the outset is quite possible.

Rumor mills say that the next version (1.1.4) would be unlocked OTB and also would support the upcoming Apple SDK natively without any jailbreaking.
I didnt mean that they were making a loss.

What I said was that they lose upto $126 per phone per year in revenue shares from their partner networks when the phones are not used on those networks. If the next version is unlocked it means they are discarding the partner model since they seem to be making more money from volume retail sales not linked to any operator.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd February 2008 at 13:48.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:04   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt that Apple would be making those kinds of losses per phone now since the input cost would be significantly lower because of economies of scale. A loss of 126$ would have been the case at the outset is quite possible.

I read somewhere that it cost's Apple 250$ to make each iphone. By the way thanks for the information. I was getting a new 16gb from US but I have put that purchase on hold.
Old 27th February 2008, 12:39   #352
Senior - BHPian

I just read that Apple released 1.1.4 firmware for iPhone. Apparently, there are no new features in this release, just a few bug fixes. Good news is that ZiPhone works for 1.1.4 too.

iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware Available - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek
Old 27th February 2008, 12:44   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I just read that Apple released 1.1.4 firmware for iPhone. Apparently, there are no new features in this release, just a few bug fixes. Good news is that ZiPhone works for 1.1.4 too.

iPhone 1.1.4 Firmware Available - Mobile Blog - InformationWeek
What is a ZiPhone???
Old 27th February 2008, 14:50   #354
BHPian

ZiPhone is a software to unlock the Iphone here is the link ZiPhone's Blog

P.S But the author of the Ziphone says not to upgrade to the latest version he is still working on it

Last edited by yogi1771 : 27th February 2008 at 14:53.
Old 27th February 2008, 20:22   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Did a little homework now. Now am almost finalized on getting the 16GB iPhone. But regarding the drop, it is just a rumor as of now. Ill be getting the phone in April.

The concern as of now is, can I unlock it myself? And what are the defects about the iphone?

And how good is it in terms of music. Am referring to its battery standby. As of now, my regular music jukebox is my 80 GB Classic iPod. Its loaded with about 20GB collection. So AFAIK this iphone will replace my ipod. As of now am totally satisfied with the batt standby of my ipod. So how good is the iphone in terms of the classic in terms of batt standby (music)?

Sagar.
Old 27th February 2008, 20:27   #356
BANNED

Analyst believe Apple is unlikely to meet iPhone sales target
Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
But regarding the drop, it is just a rumor as of now. Ill be getting the phone in April.
Also, Apple iPhone 3G could arrive by the mid of this year
Old 1st March 2008, 17:24   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
The concern as of now is, can I unlock it myself? And what are the defects about the iphone?
yes you can unlock the iphone by your self, but keep an AT&T sim inside during the process. I just got a 16GB this on 24th feb. Though the phone was sent unlocked, it refused to work on airtel. I restored to 1.1.3 thru itunes and then used ziphone. Apart from downloading time, It just took less than 10 minutes to restore then unlock the phone.

The phone sure is a beauty.
Old 6th March 2008, 19:16   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
yes you can unlock the iphone by your self, but keep an AT&T sim inside during the process. I just got a 16GB this on 24th feb. Though the phone was sent unlocked, it refused to work on airtel. I restored to 1.1.3 thru itunes and then used ziphone. Apart from downloading time, It just took less than 10 minutes to restore then unlock the phone.
Did you have to keep an ATT SIM inside to do the unlock?
Was it 1.1.3 OTB, and you still needed to re-install 1.1.3?
Did you upgrade to 1.1.4?
Did you downgrade the bootloader to 3.9?
Did you have to install any other software like iWorld etc to make it work for airtel (or India)?

TIA,
Kousik
Old 7th March 2008, 00:15   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Did you have to keep an ATT SIM inside to do the unlock?
Was it 1.1.3 OTB, and you still needed to re-install 1.1.3?
Did you upgrade to 1.1.4?
Did you downgrade the bootloader to 3.9?
Did you have to install any other software like iWorld etc to make it work for airtel (or India)?

TIA,
Kousik
hey,

I had an 1.1.2 OTB and i restored to 1.1.4 and used ziphone...

1) No you do not need to keep AT&T sim in it. I kept my Airtel sim in it. After restore it shows that you have an invalid sim but then use ziphone and voila you are home free.

2) you restore your phone to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4(it is the option that will be given to you if you press restore on itunes. It will then download a 160MB file with the restore.
You do not need to restore your iphone to unlock it(even if you have unlocked it previously, i tried this before i did restore) but this is recommended.

And if you want to resore to 1.1.4 then follow this
How to restore iPhone to baseband firmware 1.1.1, 1.0.x or 1.1.2 without using iTune’s default restore | iPhone India
i have not tried this but i have heard that it works fine for higher versions and there is no harm in trying. Also you will have to download the 1.1.3 updation file from the net to do this.

3) You will have to if you press restore on itunes. There is a technique to restore to any version which your boot loader can work with but restoring to 1.1.4 is in no way damaging and that can also be unlocked using ziphone.

3) I did.

4) i did not and its working fine with airtel, even EDGE is good enough.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th March 2008, 20:36   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

I am still using v1.1.1, should i update to 1.1.4? Is it any more stable , what new features does it offer?
Also iPhone SDK was announced yest, what the deal with that ? How does it benfit us, can someone shed some light on what exactly SDK means !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks