Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 23:02   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Is that for a new phone or for refurbished one?
In US, AT&T sells cheaper models but they are refurbished ones. Dunno about O2 and T-Mobile.
Old 17th April 2008, 10:59   #422
Team-BHP Support

UK prizes has been slashed, these are defenite signs of version 3 coming out with 3G capability et all, quote Economic Times article. Prices being reduced to get rid of older stock says articel.

Hope they bring out latest version in India too.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:11   #423
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, only airtel has unlimited data plans for mobile internet. if vodafone doesnt come up with one, proud iPhone owners will end up paying through the nose for data usage
and whats worse , the iphone cant be truly switched off. You'll end up paying for roaming even if you switch it off as it keeps tracking the network . You'll need to remove the sim from the phone to be sure
Old 17th April 2008, 11:58   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
AFAIK, only airtel has unlimited data plans for mobile internet. if vodafone doesnt come up with one, proud iPhone owners will end up paying through the nose for data usage
and whats worse , the iphone cant be truly switched off. You'll end up paying for roaming even if you switch it off as it keeps tracking the network . You'll need to remove the sim from the phone to be sure

DUH.... ???

Where did you get that from - Do you have the source of that info pls?
Old 17th April 2008, 12:05   #425
Senior - BHPian

Heh, i guess its just a misleading sleep mode. My bad. Remembered reading about it a while ago, foggy memory

Quote:
Many users claim that their phones were switched off but the phone still checked for mails. “Are you telling us that Apple and AT&T have included a special ‘We-Are-Going-To-Screw-You-While-Roaming Off Mode™’ in your iPhone that the rest of the iPhones on the planet don’t have?” Jesus Diaz said to one complaining user on gadget advice server gizmodo.com, trying to point out that users should be aware that there is a difference between off and the “sleep” mode. In the sleep mode, some actions still occur even though the iPhone looks like it is off.
Stupid People: Idiots Keep Incurring iPhone's Roaming Data Charges
Some travelers shocked by iPhone roaming fees

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th April 2008 at 12:06.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:14   #426
BHPian

One more thing, only the 8Gb version is getting the price cuts from O2 and T-mobile, if I remember correctly. That can also mean that the 8Gb version is being phased out

You can switch off the iPhone, but normally you let it sleep. It checks your email when it "sleeps" and that is why an unlimited data plan is bundled with the iPhone everywhere it is sold. Airtel plans can be used all over the country without any additional charges. It was a real help to a friend of mine who went to Chennai. He said the "Locate Me" feature in Google Maps, really rocked in Chennai.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:29   #427
BHPian

I don't remember Vodafone having unlimited internet options, but my airtel internet works anywhere in the whole country with about the same speed and that too @ 200 bucks p.m.

Vodafone bringing Iphone is nothing great since Apple has already announced iPhone2.

According to "siliconvalleywatcher.com",

Quote:
T-Mobile in Germany expects to start shipping the iPhone2 in June 2008. It will support the 3G UMTS and offer a vastly improved battery life. I'm hearing by as much as 15x but that sounds way too much.
Also Google Android should be the next big thing. Should take about an year to come out but by the time iPhone actually becomes available, we will have better options, including Sony Ericsson's "Xperia X1". Now that is some phone.
Old 18th April 2008, 02:05   #428
Senior - BHPian

Got one today and spent 10 minutes unlocking it and then installed some apps. The biggest let down ever, my dated HTC Trinity beats the pants off the iphone and is cheaper to buy.

Going to sell it in the morning or trade it for a HTC Kaiser, the iphone has got to be the most over-rated phone ever.

Last edited by bigman : 18th April 2008 at 02:10.
Old 18th April 2008, 13:34   #429
BHPian

Just out of curiosity, how much are you looking to get for it? A friend of mine is looking for one.
Old 18th April 2008, 15:51   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Err.. can you explain how usage is recorded when the phone is off?

It is true that a lot of iPhone users are complaining about excessive data billing when they havent used any internet application, but this one beats me - how do people incur charges on phones that are SWITCHED off ?
Old 18th April 2008, 16:05   #431
BHPian

Hey,

I got my iphone and unlocked it by using Ziphone 3.0.
Can anybody tell me how to copy the sim contacts to the phone.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:18   #432
Team-BHP Support

I think they are referring to the air plane mode, still the gsm switches on once in a while for gprs. Even i dont understand the logic, but saw this being discussed somewhere.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:42   #433
Senior - BHPian

Do this:

Go the Installer application then click on iFone International & then download the SIMport appication.
Old 18th April 2008, 17:47   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Do this:

Go the Installer application then click on iFone International & then download the SIMport appication.
Thanks for the reply.

When i select installed, it gets stuck on "Checking Sources".
Old 19th April 2008, 00:52   #435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hey,

I got my iphone and unlocked it by using Ziphone 3.0.
Can anybody tell me how to copy the sim contacts to the phone.
sim port install via installer

Most Viewed