Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 23:24   #391
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

My Microtek 850VA inverter has an EXIDE Inva Queen battery which is about to be replaced. I am thinking of replacing the current battery with 2 identical batteries in parallel to my inverter, to get more backup in summer months.

Will this setup work ?

I am going to draw the same amount of power from it & am not adding additional electrical points.I just want more backup time.
Old 10th December 2011, 00:49   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
My Microtek 850VA inverter has an EXIDE Inva Queen battery which is about to be replaced. I am thinking of replacing the current battery with 2 identical batteries in parallel to my inverter, to get more backup in summer months.

Will this setup work ?

I am going to draw the same amount of power from it & am not adding additional electrical points.I just want more backup time.
I bought an APC-Sine 850 VA inverter recently and asked the same questions.
The charging current from the UPS need to be increased, or else the batteries will never get fully charged. (My UPS can charge a maximum of 180AH).

So it was not recommended by APC.
Old 10th December 2011, 20:02   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I bought an APC-Sine 850 VA inverter recently and asked the same questions.
The charging current from the UPS need to be increased, or else the batteries will never get fully charged. (My UPS can charge a maximum of 180AH).

So it was not recommended by APC.
After reading my inverter’s spec sheet, I’m even more confused.

My inverter provides a 9A charging current.I have an Exide Inva Queen 450 battery which is of 135 AH capacity rated at 9A initial charging current.

If I add an additional 135AH battery in parallel, would it mean that I’ve a total of 135+135= 270AH?

Otherwise, is it better to upgrade to a 150AH battery considering that too requires 9A charging current?
Old 10th December 2011, 22:33   #394
BHPian

I am not an electrical expert, but here are the details from my APC manual (which has a switch for four settings) :

Charger-output -> Battery-size
8A -> 80-100Ah
10A -> 110-120Ah
13A -> 130-150Ah
15A -> 160-180Ah

So more than a 180Ah battery is not supported.

Also the charging current is not constant, it is 'Microprocessor controlled, 3-stage regulated charging' (as per the manual).

As soon as the battery gets fully charged, the charger switches itself off (It will keep the battery on a float/trickle charge).

I can see my electricity bills reduce after I bought this UPS.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 22:54   #395
BHPian

I checked with a local battery guy & he confirmed the same. I am going to upgrade to a 150AH battery instead getting two in parallel. The charging time might be more, but it is well worth it. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11th December 2011, 12:06   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I checked with a local battery guy & he confirmed the same. I am going to upgrade to a 150AH battery instead getting two in parallel. The charging time might be more, but it is well worth it. Thanks again for your help.
Even I bought the 850VA inverter with 150AH battery, instead of the stock 135AH battery. It has been two years and my inverter is fine.

Two batteries in parallel are fine only if the inverter charging circuit has current limiting. Then the only hitch is longer recharge time. A much better option for using two batteries is to go for a 24V system (if available in 850VA range).
Old 15th December 2011, 10:42   #397
Senior - BHPian

Any one heard of the new Su-kam tall tubular battery called warrior launched recently with 48 month warranty? is it good?

I have got a quote of 850 va sukam inverter with the warrior battery for 16999. is it worth?
Old 15th December 2011, 11:30   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Any one heard of the new Su-kam tall tubular battery called warrior launched recently with 48 month warranty? is it good?

I have got a quote of 850 va sukam inverter with the warrior battery for 16999. is it worth?
There are only a handful battery manufacturers. Rest are repackaged OEM batteries, primarily Chinese brands, with a few Indian thrown in. I would still place my bets with major Indian manufacturers - Exide, Amaron etc.

Find out what sort of warranty is there for 48 months. There are all sorts of warranty. The best in tubulars is unconditional 5 years replacement, followed by 3 years replacement plus 2 years prorate replacement (you pay based on years of service for the last two years). Non tubular batteries normally max out at two years replacement.
Old 15th December 2011, 13:50   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are only a handful battery manufacturers. Rest are repackaged OEM batteries, primarily Chinese brands, with a few Indian thrown in. I would still place my bets with major Indian manufacturers - Exide, Amaron etc.

Find out what sort of warranty is there for 48 months. There are all sorts of warranty. The best in tubulars is unconditional 5 years replacement, followed by 3 years replacement plus 2 years prorate replacement (you pay based on years of service for the last two years). Non tubular batteries normally max out at two years replacement.

Yeh it is 48 months replaceble warranty from su-kam. sukam makes its own battery and i have got quote from authorised dealer who does only sukam inverter with sukam batteried. no repackaging here with other inverters
Old 15th December 2011, 18:29   #400
BHPian

Quote:

Why waste your time and money on new products when you have time tested good brands like exide and amco around. They are available at the same price and with 5 years warranty.
Old 15th December 2011, 18:58   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Why waste your time and money on new products when you have time tested good brands like exide and amco around. They are available at the same price and with 5 years warranty.
Oh. which of these tubular batteries give 5 years replacement warranty? Is it costlier than this?
Old 17th December 2011, 16:19   #402
BHPian

Tribal Pure Sine wave Hom UPS

Has anyone heard about the Tribal UPS from Amaron?
I visited Amaron and Sukam Dealers and they have suggested the following quote

# 1
Tribal iACE 800VA Home UPS Pure Sine wave(24 months Warranty)= 6500/-
Amaron Shield Battery 170Ah (18 + 6months Warranty) = 10200/-
Battery iAce trolley(Metal) = 2100/-
Total Cost: 18800/-

Tribal Italia 800VA Home UPS Pure Sine wave(24 months Warranty)=7000/-
Total Cost: 17200/-

SuKam Falcon 800VA + Sukam Battery 135Ah = 16,400/-

I am planing to buy next week. Pls. suggest which is the better deal. I know Amaron Dealer personally and he gives very good after sales service. I am more incline towards Tribal Italia 800VA. Amarom (tribal) also offer 12 & 24 Months Extended Warranty. That means we can have peace of mind for 24 + 24(Ext) = 48 months!

Awaiting for your reply

Last edited by Gurudatta Nayak : 17th December 2011 at 16:25.
Old 17th December 2011, 17:32   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh. which of these tubular batteries give 5 years replacement warranty? Is it costlier than this?
The Exide (tall tubular) EL Gold+ 150 Ah gives 5 years full replacement warranty. But the price is also proportionately high, ~ Rs 18 - 19k.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:18   #404
BHPian

Re: Tribal Pure Sine wave Hom UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
I visited Amaron and Sukam Dealers and they have suggested the following quote

# 1
Tribal iACE 800VA Home UPS Pure Sine wave(24 months Warranty)= 6500/-
Battery iAce trolley(Metal) = 2100/-
Total Cost: 18800/-

Tribal Italia 800VA Home UPS Pure Sine wave(24 months Warranty)=7000/-
Total Cost: 17200/-

SuKam Falcon 800VA + Sukam Battery 135Ah = 16,400/-

I am planing to buy next week. Pls. suggest which is the better deal. I know Amaron Dealer personally and he gives very good after sales service. I am more incline towards Tribal Italia 800VA. Amarom (tribal) also offer 12 & 24 Months Extended Warranty. That means we can have peace of mind for 24 + 24(Ext) = 48 months!

Awaiting for your reply
Am using Xenon inverters from Amaron and can vouch for them. The UPS is in it's 4th year and still going strong, had to replace the battery after 3 years though.

If I understand correctly the only difference b/w Xenon and Tribal brands of Amaron is that they are manufactured in different Amaron centres. Never understood this branding strategy of Amaron. Even when I bought my Xenon there was another UPS brand from Amaron with comparable specs, even the dimensions were the same.
Old 26th December 2011, 03:15   #405
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tribal Pure Sine wave Hom UPS

The newer entrants have pipped the older guys to the post and how. At one time they were the single largest customer base for the older players before the price cutting started and that is when the Chinese deluge drowned everyone. However the erratic quality of the Chinese products saw most of the inverter manufacturers set up their own plants. Now they not only make their own batteries but do so in a state of the art facilities. Compared to them and some of the other new/not so new players the manufacturing facilities of other older (larger?) players look like dumps. In fact there now more than a dozen recognized national level manufacturers offering their wares and the Chinese deluge is a thing of the past.

As for the SMF batteries, both their designs as well as those of the inverters and UPS etc have seen advances. I have been a very strong advocate of the SMF batteries in my social circle(s) and have sometimes forced my near and dear ones to splurge on these. Been doing this since last 4 odd years and so far have not had any body complain of premature failures. The sample size is of course small, say about 20 odd house holds but then all are quite satisfied

I strongly feel that the lead acid fumes have no place in our residences, especially if one does not have a well ventilated and necessarily an outdoor location to install the inverter/ups system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Non tubular batteries normally max out at two years replacement.

I use two completely Sealed Maintenance Free 150AH batteries manufactured by Sukam with my Sukam 1400VA inverter. Been going strong for 4 years now and except for a blown fuse which was promptly replaced FOC by Sukam via their 1800 toll free number there have been no issues at all.

Purchasing both the battery and the inverter from the same vendor is the ideal thing to do, if they are the same brand even better. As I say, it helps avoid "Pointing the Finger" syndrome that vendors develop in case of issues cropping up with the system.

Quote:
Yeh it is 48 months replaceble warranty from su-kam. sukam makes its own battery and i have got quote from authorised dealer who does only sukam inverter with sukam batteried. no repackaging here with other inverters

Lord Lucan has already explained the Amaron co-branding. I have another location where I have been using a Xenon inverter (800 VA) with a Xenon Maintenance Free battery of 160AH rating. Third year running & still going strong. Just ensure that you buy the Pure Sine wave model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks