Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 16:46   #421
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Planning to put in an inverter for my house.
Looking for a 1.5Kva. Do I really need that much power?
I don't see anyone going in for that much power for a small 2 bedroom apartment.
Im using 2.5KV since 6 years on 3 BR home and it is worth it. Fridge is connected to inverter. 2 TVs, 2 computers, few CFL's and fans and a cooler can run easily for 5-6 hours.
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:22   #422
BHPian

After all the online researching I found out the best possible option.
I decided to go for 1.5kva Microtek inverter and Exide Invatubular 115Ah x2
I was quoted a min of 32k and a maximum of 36k for the same.

I went to Richie st. (electronics market in Chennai), got the same Microtek Sine wave model for just Rs 6100/- when everyone was quoting Rs 10000/-
Still need to get my batteries.
I am sure i am going to save a good 5K on the whole deal and to top it I am getting a good product combination.

Do you think I can run a fridge with this power backup?
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:06   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After all the online researching I found out the best possible option.
I decided to go for 1.5kva Microtek inverter and Exide Invatubular 115Ah x2
I was quoted a min of 32k and a maximum of 36k for the same.

I went to Richie st. (electronics market in Chennai), got the same Microtek Sine wave model for just Rs 6100/- when everyone was quoting Rs 10000/-
Still need to get my batteries.
I am sure i am going to save a good 5K on the whole deal and to top it I am getting a good product combination.

Do you think I can run a fridge with this power backup?
Is the battery 115 or 150AH? I suspect it is the latter.

On a 1.5KVA the refrigerator (of around 250L) will work, provided at the starting time you have a load less than the starting load, that is you should have not more than 0.8KVA load for the fridge to start reliably.
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:53   #424
BHPian

In the beginning I was planning to go for the 115Ah because the power cut was just 2 hours in a day, but now I said whats the big difference and opted for the 150Ah

So its a Microteck SWe2 1.5kva - Sinewave energy saving inverter - Rs 6100
Exide battery 150Ah Invatubular X2 - Rs 27000
Electricals - Rs 2000

Total = Rs 35100/-

So I should hopefully be set for another 5 years.

@ Aroy -The fridge has a stabilizer so it will take of the starting load problem right ?
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:35   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Aroy -The fridge has a stabilizer so it will take of the starting load problem right ?
No. Actually it will aggravate the problem, as now the (in)efficiency of the stabilizer will add to the starting load. Unless you have a widely fluctuating voltage, do away with the stabilizer. I have been running refrigerators for over 40 years without stabilizers.

Excepting electronics, there is nothing in a refrigerator which requires a stabilizer. That too electronics will blow only at high voltage, not at low. To prevent electronics frying, you can install a high voltage cut off device.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:17   #426
BHPian

Any reviews on Base Terminal Tubular Battery. I understand they make Inverter as well.

Another option being given is Tata Battery.
Old 9th March 2012, 00:47   #427
Senior - BHPian

^^^Base Terminal makes good automobile batts. Not used their inverter batts personally, but they should be good too. Just compare the warranty and price to decide.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:12   #428
Senior - BHPian

Wow that is quite a spend for a package with tubular batteries. Four odd years ago I invested in a Sine wave 1400Va inverter and 2 x 150Ah fully Sealed Maintenance Free SMF batteries both from SU-KAM and the spend was approximately 34K with bill all taxes duly paid.

So for 2K more one can get batteries which are far better for the home environment what with ZERO Lead Acid fumes what so ever and no loss in performance or longevity.

No offence to anyone but all I am saying is that it is time we move on to a safer technology.

Quote:
So its a Microteck SWe2 1.5kva - Sinewave energy saving inverter - Rs 6100
Exide battery 150Ah Invatubular X2 - Rs 27000
Electricals - Rs 2000

Total = Rs 35100/-

Last edited by khoj : 9th March 2012 at 01:17.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:03   #429
Senior - BHPian

^^The life of SMF batteries is a lot less when compared to tubular batteries. Also there is a small probability of explosion.

Tubular batteries - I am talking of tower type here - when properly maintained, give off very little fumes. Basically hydrogen AFAIK.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:21   #430
BHPian

Hey Guys!

How much would be a decent enough budget for an inverter that will be used for powering 2 fans, 2 tubes and 1 PC for 2 hours a day max? We are considering getting the inverter setup for our home, now that power cuts in Chennai are for 2 hours every day.

I was reading up on the previous pages, and it seems that tubular batteries have a much longer life than the SMF batteries. However, lot of people have mentioned that the tubular ones need regular maintenance, and also emit fumes and gases? Also, what would be the recommended specification for the inverter? We would like to keep the existing setup for at least 2-3 years before changing the batteries again. Also, consumption is not likely to increase. Duration might, but consumption will never be more than 2 lights, 2 fans and 1 computer.

Using the guide at this link, I was able to understand that we need atleast a 750-800 VA inverter. Do I need 2 batteries? Or will 1 suffice?

Cheers!
Old 10th March 2012, 00:56   #431
Senior - BHPian

Please, I have heard enough on the SMF life being short. It is an old grandmothers tale.

I have been using SMF batteries in our office UPS systems for more than a decade and at my residences for 4 years + now and speak from my own experience. The initial Komatsu SMFs bought from Elnova lasted 7+ years and the second set is running fine. The Sukams are performing as good as they were on day 1. If these periods are not long enough then nothing ever will be.

BTW what is this explosion that you are speaking of. The electrolyte in the SMF is in form of a gel with which flame retardent is premixed. If anything it is the normal batteries (tubular or otherwise) with ons of acid splashing around inside that are prone to all sorts of troubles.

Also the fumes coming out of the battery are anything but Hydrogen, these are a potent combo of Lead + Acid. maybe someone with roots in Chemistry can elaborate.

My post is not meant to offend or slight but it is my request that we speak based on experience and not hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^The life of SMF batteries is a lot less when compared to tubular batteries. Also there is a small probability of explosion.

Tubular batteries - I am talking of tower type here - when properly maintained, give off very little fumes. Basically hydrogen AFAIK.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:11   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Please, I have heard enough on the SMF life being short. It is an old grandmothers tale.

I have been using SMF batteries in our office UPS systems for more than a decade and at my residences for 4 years + now and speak from my own experience.

BTW what is this explosion that you are speaking of. The electrolyte in the SMF is in form of a gel with which flame retardent is premixed. If anything it is the normal batteries (tubular or otherwise) with ons of acid splashing around inside that are prone to all sorts of troubles.

Also the fumes coming out of the battery are anything but Hydrogen, these are a potent combo of Lead + Acid. maybe someone with roots in Chemistry can elaborate.

My post is not meant to offend or slight but it is my request that we speak based on experience and not hearsay.
Gents, there are some misconceptions about VRLA/SMF batteries - may I suggest some reading:

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

or

http://www.batteryfaq.org/ See chapter 7.1

Batteryfaq is more focussed on automotive batteries but you will get the general drift.

With these 2 sites it is 'all you ever wanted to know about batteries' and some.

For more specific information about temparature v/s life and charging voltages please visit your battery mfrs site. I use Exide or Amaron only and have a PDF with these details. With ambient temps in my home ranging from 22 to 30 degrees Cel depending on the season, I can expect the batteries to last a max of 3.5 years.

However, I replace my 4 APC UPS (ranging from 1.5 to 2.2 KVA) batteries every 24-30 months as per APC's recommendation, so long life is not really one of the advantages that I have noted. This is in a place like Pune which has minimal power cuts even during peak summer. Most of my UPSes have temp sensitive charging that supposedly increase battery life.

In hot tropical countries like India, flooded batteries have an advantage over SMF (which are ambient temp and charging voltage sensitive) as water can be topped off whenever required. That said, there are several advantages SMFs have over flooded batteries and they are preferred in most applications.

Regards,

PS - to add - home inverter is a Microtek 850VA with an Exide invatubular 165AH battery

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th March 2012 at 11:13.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:05   #433
BHPian

Please Help, i need to take decision within this week, I dont want my 8 month old daughter to suffer anymore that too like in city chennai.
I know this is the discussion about batteries, but i am afraid to see all negative reviews about inverters in the Net. So Please advice

1. Which Inverter? (very confused just checked out APC, Microtek but reviews are bad)
2. Planning to go with tubular battery (135 AH or 150 Ah) which brand?
3.(For chennai people) Shall i visit richie street and get each items seperatly?
4. I got quote for Hi power battery (150AH Tub) with APC 850 VA for 19500 is it good deal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:01   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post

1. Which Inverter? (very confused just checked out APC, Microtek but reviews are bad)
2. Planning to go with tubular battery (135 AH or 150 Ah) which brand?
3.(For chennai people) Shall i visit richie street and get each items seperatly?
4. I got quote for Hi power battery (150AH Tub) with APC 850 VA for 19500 is it good deal?
I have tried a variety of inverters - Sukam, Videocon, Accura (local manufacturer), Microtek, etc... and I don't really see much difference in terms of quality. IMO, battery is the key factor. You could get a Videocon inverter and an Exide tubular 150AH battery for Rs.17500.

My suggestions:
Inverter - Videocon 800VA pure sine wave inverter for Rs.4300 from edigiworld.com or you could opt for the Sukam Falcon 800VA priced at Rs.5250 (if you are not keen to shop online).
Battery - Go for the Exide IT series. You have a couple of options here - IT500 for Rs.13200 (150 AH) or IT750 for Rs.17200 (200 AH).
Old 12th March 2012, 20:30   #435
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, I got Sukam Falcon for 4k, after returning the old one. Was keen on getting APC (have had great experience with both product and service) this time, but they said they'd not buy back an old Sukam and the price difference was too great to ignore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks