Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 23:28   #841
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, I am in the market for inverter. No experience of it so far. From last pages, I could gather that Exide tubular batteries are the ones to go for. But there was not much information on what brand is good for inverter. So which one should I go for? My requirement would be for 700 / 800 VA inverter. Thanks!
I have APC inverter since last 5 years. Had a DigiPower battery for 4 years and then switched over to Amaron Current.
Old 19th October 2015, 23:31   #842
AWD
BHPian

I was using a Genius 850VA Inverter with a 150AMP Exide Gel Battery. Its was running well for ~3-4 yrs untill a few days back. Suddenly the equipment attached to the inverter went dead. I lost 2 Belkin surge protectors & 2 Modem Adaptors.

Got the inverter & wiring checked by electrician but he said all is well & sometimes when you switch on/off various things attached to the inverter, it causes difference in load & current & that's the reason. I did not buy a wee bit of this story & took the inverter to technician. He opened up the inverter to find mosfets & fan conked off.

Now don't know what caused the mosfets & fan to conk off, maybe fluctuations but what is shocking is that there is no way you can know of the damage inside unless you open up. There was no tell tale indications, lights, beeps, etc. Only the attached equipment started dieing.

So now the technician says repairing will cost ~1-1.5k with no warranties & suggested to buy a new instead. Now suggest me a good inverter which doesn't repeat the same story! I checked Exide & Sukam inverters locally. Need a 850-900VA inverter.
Old 20th October 2015, 19:42   #843
Senior - BHPian

We have a UPS installed for the house and I have a UPS installed for my PC alone.

Recently, we got the local inverter changed to a Microtek one. Ever since then, once the power supply returns and the inverter makes the switch over, the UPS attached to the PC goes into "Overload Shutdown". Described by APC as: "During On Battery
operation a battery power supplied outlet overload was detected". And the UPS just shuts off. This has never happened with the old inverter.

I understand the inverter has changed and is the likely culprit. But are there some factors I am missing?
Old 20th October 2015, 19:56   #844
BHPian

I recently bought a Microtek SEBZ 1100 VA inverter with COLLTS 200 AH battery (Local Make) for 17.5 K including installation and trolley. Battery comes with 3 year replacement warranty. Took a risk with the Battery because the price of Exide 200 AH battery itself costed 18 K. Hope It goes good at least for the warranty period than probably will think for a inverter upgrade.
Old 21st October 2015, 08:32   #845
Senior - BHPian

Recently picked up a 3kva APC Sinewave Online UPS specifically for all my home audio equipment. After a blown active sub woofer had to buy one.
Have altered the wiring in such a way so the wall points running the audio equipment in all rooms route through the UPS. Using 6 26ah Batterys from Amaron. Total cost slightly exceeds the 60k mark.

@awd - The APC 850 VA should suit your requirements well. Have been using it for an year with no issues.

Last edited by bigron : 21st October 2015 at 08:43.
Old 21st October 2015, 22:45   #846
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
APC 850 VA should suit your requirements well. Have been using it for an year with no issues.
Thanks, Im actually choosing between Exide, Sukam & APC. Concern with APC is that I don't know about their local presence. Had a APC UPS around a decade back, then the a.s.s was poor, hope it has improved now.

Basically I want to secure the gadgets attached to the Inverter & want an inverter that has adequate security measures which safeguard the attached gadgets & does not harm them like the previous Genius inverter did.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:53   #847
BHPian

Bought a luminous 1100va inverter and luminous 150 ah battery with 30 month warranty for a total16k from a vendor in hulimavu gate. I will probably add another battery in parallel to get longer backup time.
This has a led display of battery charging status and how long can the backup power last.
Old 10th November 2015, 22:53   #848
BHPian

Hi,
I am looking out for inverter and battery in the range of 15-20k. I would need to run 4 tube lights and 4 fans, a TV and occasionally a mixer having 5 hours backup.
Plz suggest reliable one in my range.
Thanks,
Ramki
Old 10th November 2015, 23:00   #849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Recently picked up a 3kva APC Sinewave Online UPS specifically for all my home audio equipment
can you share more details on costs and place from where you bought .
Old 11th November 2015, 13:24   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
I am looking out for inverter and battery in the range of 15-20k. I would need to run 4 tube lights and 4 fans, a TV and occasionally a mixer having 5 hours backup.
Thanks,
Ramki
An 800 VA inverter with Exide 150 AH battery would do the job admirably. I have a Sukam 800 VA inverter.
Old 13th November 2015, 14:22   #851
BHPian

I changed my inverter and battery to luminous inverters and batteries at home. Got 1 for each floor. So far no issues. Best part of the batteries is that is shows an indication of the water level. Hence you exactly know when to top up.
Old 13th November 2015, 15:19   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
Thanks,
Ramki
Check the power rating of the mixer. If it is less than 800 watts then a 850VA Inverter is sufficient . If more than 1000 watts(most food processors these days are) then you need a 1200VA inverter. Else the moment you turn on the mixie the inverter will trip
Old 15th November 2015, 16:47   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
Bought a luminous 1100va inverter and luminous 150 ah battery with 30 month warranty for a total16k from a vendor in hulimavu gate. I will probably add another battery in parallel to get longer backup time.
This has a led display of battery charging status and how long can the backup power last.
Looks like a decent price. Will try to check for it at my local battery/UPS dealer here. Can you pl share the exact model # of the battery & inverter?
Old 15th November 2015, 18:11   #854
BHPian

The inverter model is Luminous Zelio 1100va and the battery model is Luminous Inverlast LT500. Just saw that on Paytm the Zelio seems to be available for 5695 + another 12% cash back which would be much lesser than I paid. You might find also a lower online price for batteries or you can use these prices to bargain a bit with the local shop.
Old 7th December 2015, 15:52   #855
BHPian

Gentlemen!

Need your advice, ASAP! We've been using a Su-Kam Falcon inverter with a 180Ah battery for the past 3 years, and it has always worked beautifully. However, due to the recent floods in Chennai, we realized that we need more battery backup than the 180Ah battery offers at this time.

So, is it possible to add another battery to the inverter, in parallel, probably? Will that be feasible? And, if not a Su-Kam battery, can I add another brand battery to the inverter? The sole intention is to ensure that the battery backup lasts a minimum of 2 days running just a couple of LED lamps & a single ceiling fan, worst case scenario.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks