Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 23:36   #1591
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

I’m looking to purchase an inverter and battery combo for my house in pune. I’ve identified luminous helio 1100 inverter and 150ah tall tubular battery to be sufficient for my needs. My question to members here is if it’s safe to buy from Amazon. The authorised dealers in my area in pune(Hadapsar) seem more keen to push exide and are sort of discouraging luminous. Also the Amazon prices are noticeably lesser than offline. However, I’m reading quite a few comments that seems to suggest that inverters are often faulty and batteries come with water leakages.
A bit in a dilemma … should I order from Amazon or go the offline route?
Old 3rd April 2022, 16:04   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
I’m looking to purchase an inverter and battery combo for my house in pune. I’ve identified luminous helio 1100 inverter and 150ah tall tubular battery to be sufficient for my needs. My question to members here is if it’s safe to buy from Amazon. The authorised dealers in my area in pune(Hadapsar) seem more keen to push exide and are sort of discouraging luminous. Also the Amazon prices are noticeably lesser than offline. However, I’m reading quite a few comments that seems to suggest that inverters are often faulty and batteries come with water leakages.
A bit in a dilemma … should I order from Amazon or go the offline route?
GreyNomad,
If I were you, I would buy the Helio from Amazon and the batteries from the local dealer.
I have Exide invatubular 150ah batteries since the 2018 integrated with my solar UPS. Both batteries failed in 2020 and were replaced free of cost by Exide.
Good luck
ColAjayDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 18:37   #1593
BHPian

I am looking at getting Exide Invatubular battery and a Luminous 1100 UPS for my 3BHK. Need this to power tubelights/warm lights, fans and modem power socket. Should I go for a 150ah battery or a 200ah battery? I went around asking about costs and setup and was told that the 150ah battery would give me 4-5 hours of backup and would be sufficient. Would the 200ah give 8 hours of backup considering not all rooms will have lights or fans on in case of a power cut?

Also which is a good UPS system for this setup? Will the Luminous 1100 one be good for my needs or is there a better one?

Last edited by whencut86 : 3rd April 2022 at 18:41. Reason: correction
Old 4th April 2022, 10:26   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Luminous UPS is quite good, have been using it for a long time. As mentioned, it is better to buy batteries from a local Exide retailer, you will get much better service.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:06   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Luminous UPS is quite good, have been using it for a long time. As mentioned, it is better to buy batteries from a local Exide retailer, you will get much better service.
Which one in Luminous? Zelio series or Icon or Optimus series or Eco Watt one?
Old 4th April 2022, 11:27   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Which one in Luminous? Zelio series or Icon or Optimus series or Eco Watt one?
I have the Luminous-Cruze (2 KVa, coupled with two no.s Exide 200Ah batteries) for the past nearly four years and 100% satisfied. I have switched on the UPS mode in it which keeps my Desktop computer stable during power-cuts.

Battery power also kicks-in whenever there is low voltage too.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:07   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian

We have had the Zelio since January 2016.

There were teething troubles: Service guy had to come twice, second time he swapped out most of the insides! That was in the first month or two. That's not good, but it has worked fine since then.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 23:34   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
GreyNomad,
If I were you, I would buy the Helio from Amazon and the batteries from the local dealer.
I have Exide invatubular 150ah batteries since the 2018 integrated with my solar UPS. Both batteries failed in 2020 and were replaced free of cost by Exide.
Good luck
This mix and match approach I hadn’t considered at all. Your post intrigued me and I did some research on exide and woe behold I’m confused even more now. My local dealer (authorised for both brands) swears exide inverter + battery combo is better than luminous. Couldn’t really follow (a noob in such matters) but seems exide has more copper thingamajigs compared to luminous. However Online luminous seems to get more live than exide.
Can more experienced members here add to/ clear out my confusion?
Old 12th May 2022, 12:20   #1599
BHPian

Guys, I want to purchase an invertor for my 3bhk. My question is how much battery capacity I'd need if I were to run 4 Fans, 5 -6 LED lights on it ? Also which UPS - batteries combo to go for ? I got quote from a local guy of ₹19k for all rooms (cost everything inclusive), does it sound reasonable ? Appreciate any help !
Old 12th May 2022, 12:38   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Guys, I want to purchase an invertor for my 3bhk. My question is how much battery capacity I'd need if I were to run 4 Fans, 5 -6 LED lights on it ? Also which UPS - batteries combo to go for ? I got quote from a local guy of ₹19k for all rooms (cost everything inclusive), does it sound reasonable ? Appreciate any help !
Inverter capacity (in kva) tells you how much load you can put. For example, 4 fans+6 lights of 15w each means about 500watts of load. You would need atleast 800va, or 1kva to be future proof in case your load adds up.

Battery capacity tells you how long you can run it. For example, if you put 500watts for 4 hours, that means approximately about 40amps of current from the battery assuming a 12v battery, meaning 40*4 = 160Ah. Now inverter has losses, battery also has losses. Let's take about 20% as the combined losses. So ideally you would need 20% more than the theoretical value of 160ah.

Practically speaking, I have a 1kva inverter + 150ah battery that approximately runs for about 4 to 5 hours with a bunch of laptops, one desktop and a few lights. Being in Bangalore our fan usage is less, but this can be considerable at about 80w to 100w per fan.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:39   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same set up, almost same requirements plus TV, set top box, occasional music systems. Have been using Microtek 900 va inverter with 150aH battery. Currently using Exide tall tubular which is 2 years old. Previously Exide short tubular served just 4 years and conked off. So avoid short tubular/flat plate batteries and go with Exide long tubular eyes closed.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:42   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two parts to it - UPS capacity and Battery capacity. Here is a rough guide :

UPS Capacity
. Add up the KVA rating of all the devices that you want to run on UPS. If KVA is not available use KW rating and multiply by 1.2
. To arrive at the UPS capacity, multiply the above KVA by 1.5. That gives you a margin of safety and takes into account the efficiency of the UPS.

Battery Sizing
. Assuming output voltage of battery is 12V, then the current required for each KVA is 1000/12 = 83A, or 83AH per hour.
. If you want backup for 5 hours then you need 83*5 = 416.66 AH.
. Battery capacity has to be derated for 5 hours discharge (as the capacity is for 10 hours discharge) by 40%, so the capacity is now 416.66/0.6 ~ 690 AH per KVA for 5 hours.

NOTE
. For 0.5KVA you need ~ 350 AH
. For 0.5 KVA and 2 hours you need ~ 270 AH
. For 0.35 KVA and 2 hours you need ~ 200 AH

Your load =
. 4 fans x 60va = 0.24 KVA
. 6 LED x 0.015va = 0.01 KVA
Total load ~ .35 KVA max

Ideal combination is 800VA UPS and 200AH battery, which with ljudicious use can last 4 to 5 hours. For longer backup time get an 800VA UPS that supports 2 x 200A batteries inseries (24V system).
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:53   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
For battery you can go with 150Ah for 5-6hrs backup for your requirement. Make sure you go with tubular battery instead of lead-acid or similar for longer life cycle.

19k I am assuming is for inverter + battery? If so, then the price is good. Just check the battery type - I suspect it would be lead-acid type.

I have luminous combo going well for last 7 years. Microtek inverter + Exide battery is also a popular combo with good feedback. Do look for UPS mode in the inverter so that you can run computer/router without interruption.

PS: Since you mentioned 3BHK and if you want some future proofing, it would make sense to go for higher capacity inverter like 1050w instead of the regular 850/900w suggested by most dealers. In this case, you simply add additional 150Ah battery should your requirements turn more demanding in future. Otherwise you need to buy new inverter + additional battery in future.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping!
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 13:51   #1604
BHPian

Quote:
Others have mentioned about the UPS capacity and the battery capacity. If you go with conventional fans your requirement will be high as each fan typically consumes about 70-80 VA. Go for Brushless Direct Current (BDC) fans which will consume about 25-30 VA only.
I have switched to BDC motors and I notice a major difference in the back up time.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 15:22   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Our existing UPS of some local make seems to be giving up. It served us well since 2007. Looking at Luminous UPS to replace this one and thinking to go for the Model with Wi-fi support and App. We have a dual battery setup (Tubular)

What is the feedback on the "Home UPS Zelio Wifi 1700"? Any inputs on street price for this? ( I see it listed at ₹9,450/- on this site here: Link)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks